Bitdroid - Dedicated Android ROM Torrent Tracker

Search This thread

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010

Bitdroid - Home | Bitroid - Tracker | Bitdroid - Forum

Introducing Bitdroid! The dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs!

After a couple of weeks of trial-and-error, I have finally got a torrent tracker site setup and running for Android ROM developers; a place for them to create and track a torrent for their ROMs.

Why use a torrent tracker like Bitdroid.org versus regular download links? Easy: better flow of download traffic, which equates to faster downloads!

Peer-2-Peer, or P2P, (torrents in this case) are better for high-flow traffic compared to normal HTTP (sites like Mediafire) or FTP. In HTTP or FTP, users can only download, and it's only from a single server. The more people downloading a file from a single server, the slower the download for everybody on that server requesting the same file. This is not the case for P2P connections. Every user that's downloading, downloads from another user. All of the users download are also uploading to other users, so the traffic is not coming from a single source. It is coming from many sources, alleviating slow downloads, enabling higher traffic. P2P is a much superior way to distribute large files (such as Android ROMs).

So where did this idea come from? After the release of several popular ROMs, I saw people complaining about slow download speeds, and having to upload to several different download mirrors for others to download at a fast pace again, until those became "clogged" for a while as well. P2P, as previously mentioned, would have alleviated this and reduced (or even eliminated) the need for several HTTP / FTP mirrors. HTTP download links could still be provided, but torrent links could also be provided to help alleviate high traffic, congested downloads.

P2P also allows tracking and stats of an individual download. Each file is tracked by the amount of seeders (people uploading), leechers (people downloading), and total downloads.

I've searched, and I couldn't find a dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs; I could only find trackers for general use, or other specific uses (movies, games, etc.), of which not all of these are completely safe due to concern of possible copyrighted content. With Bitdroid, only Android ROMs are allowed, and it is preferred that the original developer of the ROM uploads the file (or with permission from the developer, a 3rd-party user could upload the ROM). Since Android is open-source, there aren't any legal concerns of piracy and such due the open-source licensing of the Android OS.

For an added layer of "security" only an approved member group is allowed to upload files. You must be manually added to the group before being able to upload torrents, to try and further discourage potential piracy or unauthorized uploading of ROMs.

I currently have a splash-page setup, that links to the actual tracker, as well as a forum (work-in-progress).

If you're a developer or know a developer, please sign up on the torrent tracker and/or forum and I can get you setup to upload your torrents, and don't forget to spread the word!

If you have any questions or comments, please either post here or on the website! Come and check it out!

Note: I have permission from YZ to post this.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Bump. Got mixed reviews in the Rezound forum about this; not much response from Dev's yet (which is what I would like the opinion of as well).

tarekkkkk

Mar 27, 2010
News page, forum what next apps we have to pay ?

The idea is great but you should respect the word *torrent*.

Emba4

Jul 17, 2012
this is a brilliant idea, its annoying having to navigate through those nasty ad filled, speed restricted file hosting sites, i hope it grows and grows

my signup email conformation hasnt come through though :(

Last edited:

Ghuntar WALDMEISTER

Jun 26, 2012
Near Paris
Always been intrigued why no Android ROM developer uses torrent technologies... Even on questionable tracker as Pirate Bay (Yes, you can find legal stuff there ^^).
Now there is no excuse ! With this tracker, we can download almost eyes closed. And now, every body can help, even if no developer, even without giving money. Let's seed !
I'll warm up my seed box this evening !

psytr0nic

Jun 22, 2010
ABidjan
dcserviceteam.blogspot.com
we can only say you THANK alot and good job . but one thing ..
it is for every Rom ( custom and shipped rom ) or just rom leaked by private developers ?

ps : I haven't paypal from me ( Country's restricted ) , sure I would donate you some $$ ...

maxunger

Jul 23, 2012
awesome news !
guys pay alot for hosting 300mb allinone roms on their hosting , torrent solution rocks!

InsaneNutter

Jun 26, 2010
Yorkshire
Any Torrents with this Symbol are Ratio Boosters. Only your Upload is Recorded!!
This is a Great way to Boost your Ratio. Normal Site Seeding Rules Apply.
Seed to 1.0 or 36 hours to avoid Hit and Runs.

The idea is good, however i think having a ratio system on the site will do it more harm than good.

Unless you download the rom soon after its uploaded your probably going to struggle to seed it back, especially if its from a developer who updates the rom every couple of days. I think its very unlikely someone would download the older version once the next build is out.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Wow, my site made the front page news! Awesome :D.

this is a brilliant idea, its annoying having to navigate through those nasty ad filled, speed restricted file hosting sites, i hope it grows and grows

my signup email conformation hasnt come through though :(
Hmm, weird. Like previously mentioned, check your spam folder. I'll see what I can do later when I get off work.

Donated $3 has not shown. Still Says Zero. Also been waiting on a confirmation email...It's new. Kinks to work out. Hope my $3 helps is the most I can spare.

---------- Post added at 02:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Wait what? That's not a real sentence.
Yeah, there's kinks to work out (new to PHP as well so that doesn't help lol). Not sure why the donation thing isn't updating... I'll have to look into that.

Check out some of my work and ths work of my team mates in the sprint epic4g touch section. Let me know If we qualify.
Sure! Just post a thread in the Bitdroid forums in the Uploader Request board!

we can only say you THANK alot and good job . but one thing ..
it is for every Rom ( custom and shipped rom ) or just rom leaked by private developers ?

ps : I haven't paypal from me ( Country's restricted ) , sure I would donate you some $$ ...
It's for any ROM. There's categories for stock ROMs, custom ROMs (from developers), or 'Other' (for kernels or something like that). I can always add more categories as well if anybody has suggestions!

The idea is good, however i think having a ratio system on the site will do it more harm than good.

Unless you download the rom soon after its uploaded your probably going to struggle to seed it back, especially if its from a developer who updates the rom every couple of days. I think its very unlikely someone would download the older version once the next build is out.
I've disabled ratio restrictions on the site. Where did you find that tidbit at? Was it in the rules/FAQ? If so, that's just because I haven't really had any time to update that at all, due to classes starting up again.

Worry not, ratio is not a concern (but sharing what you download always looks good ;)).

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
No problem. The categories I currently have:

- AOSP / AOKP
- Other
- Proprietary GUI (for ones like Sense, TouchWiz, etc.)
- Stock (Rooted)
- Stock / RUU's

Would just like to thank everybody for their support!

Last edited:

dstruct2k

Jan 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Google Pixel 4
Unable to register. It claims that I'm not matching the CAPTCHA (I think...)
Code:
The confirm code you entered is too short.
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect.

There is no CAPTCHA, and I have filled out all 5 fields that are shown on the registration page properly.

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Unable to register. It claims that I'm not matching the CAPTCHA (I think...)
Code:
The confirm code you entered is too short.
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect.

There is no CAPTCHA, and I have filled out all 5 fields that are shown on the registration page properly.

Are you trying to register through the forum or the tracker?

If you're trying through the forum, try registering through the tracker instead. Another user PM'd me with a similar error I believe, and he was trying to go through the forum.

Last edited:

carngeX

Jun 30, 2010
Alright, sorry about the issues registering on the forum guys. There was a conflicting option turned on that I missed when setting up the forum.

It should be working now for registration.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Bitdroid - Home | Bitroid - Tracker | Bitdroid - Forum

Introducing Bitdroid! The dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs!

After a couple of weeks of trial-and-error, I have finally got a torrent tracker site setup and running for Android ROM developers; a place for them to create and track a torrent for their ROMs.

Why use a torrent tracker like Bitdroid.org versus regular download links? Easy: better flow of download traffic, which equates to faster downloads!

Peer-2-Peer, or P2P, (torrents in this case) are better for high-flow traffic compared to normal HTTP (sites like Mediafire) or FTP. In HTTP or FTP, users can only download, and it's only from a single server. The more people downloading a file from a single server, the slower the download for everybody on that server requesting the same file. This is not the case for P2P connections. Every user that's downloading, downloads from another user. All of the users download are also uploading to other users, so the traffic is not coming from a single source. It is coming from many sources, alleviating slow downloads, enabling higher traffic. P2P is a much superior way to distribute large files (such as Android ROMs).

So where did this idea come from? After the release of several popular ROMs, I saw people complaining about slow download speeds, and having to upload to several different download mirrors for others to download at a fast pace again, until those became "clogged" for a while as well. P2P, as previously mentioned, would have alleviated this and reduced (or even eliminated) the need for several HTTP / FTP mirrors. HTTP download links could still be provided, but torrent links could also be provided to help alleviate high traffic, congested downloads.

P2P also allows tracking and stats of an individual download. Each file is tracked by the amount of seeders (people uploading), leechers (people downloading), and total downloads.

I've searched, and I couldn't find a dedicated torrent tracker for Android ROMs; I could only find trackers for general use, or other specific uses (movies, games, etc.), of which not all of these are completely safe due to concern of possible copyrighted content. With Bitdroid, only Android ROMs are allowed, and it is preferred that the original developer of the ROM uploads the file (or with permission from the developer, a 3rd-party user could upload the ROM). Since Android is open-source, there aren't any legal concerns of piracy and such due the open-source licensing of the Android OS.

For an added layer of "security" only an approved member group is allowed to upload files. You must be manually added to the group before being able to upload torrents, to try and further discourage potential piracy or unauthorized uploading of ROMs.

I currently have a splash-page setup, that links to the actual tracker, as well as a forum (work-in-progress).

If you're a developer or know a developer, please sign up on the torrent tracker and/or forum and I can get you setup to upload your torrents, and don't forget to spread the word!

If you have any questions or comments, please either post here or on the website! Come and check it out!

Note: I have permission from YZ to post this.
    No problem. The categories I currently have:

- AOSP / AOKP
    - Other
    - Proprietary GUI (for ones like Sense, TouchWiz, etc.)
    - Stock (Rooted)
    - Stock / RUU's

Would just like to thank everybody for their support!
    I have had a go at something similar :)

I am looking for people with various devices to help upload/maintain, if you can then send me a pm!

www.romtorrent.com
    Sad to see no activity on your site

Unfortunately, there aren't many on there due to not many people adopting the project.
    I've always wanted to download custom ROM's this way!
    It's sad to see there are no files on your site at all. Why is this so? :confused:
    Is there anything I can do to help make this idea take off? :)

/Paerox