General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

benthe

Dec 1, 2011

Was this reply for me?

If so:
1. What are the known issues/current bugs for it with CM10? I didn't find any listing of them on the CM10 thread for this device here on xda.
2. Do you think that it'll run the upcoming 4.2 firmware nicely? I know you can't tell for sure, just looking for a prediction.

Thanks.

P.S
What's the difference between all the different models in the Transformer series? I couldn't find anything that really differs one from the other, all run Tegra 3 Quad-Core CPUs for the most part, have 1GB of RAM, same screen size, run the same software etc. What's the real difference between them?

Last edited:

eoraptor

Apr 27, 2012
Ottumwa
If you can find a used photon 4g it can be used with sim apparently. I recently searched Craigslist for one and found it for 70. Also it has gorilla glass.
If you can wait for the next nexus to come and lower the price of the galaxy nexus.the gnex would be a good buy considering the support will last as long as the earth will.that will require hardcore savings though.
Otherwise you can search for a used atrix 4g .g2x. nitro hd (rare possibility) .

Sent from my Thunderbolt using xda app-developers app
Yeah, a Gnex is no go, both for the price, and for the lack of an SD reader. Will study up on the rest though, thanks :)

::edit:: 4g is not at all important to me, as the nearest 4g services to me is 70 miles away

Last edited:

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
Was this reply for me?

If so:
1. What are the known issues/current bugs for it with CM10? I didn't find any listing of them on the CM10 thread for this device here on xda.
2. Do you think that it'll run the upcoming 4.2 firmware nicely? I know you can't tell for sure, just looking for a prediction.

Thanks.

P.S
What's the difference between all the different models in the Transformer series? I couldn't find anything that really differs one from the other, all run Tegra 3 Quad-Core CPUs for the most part, have 1GB of RAM, same screen size, run the same software etc. What's the real difference between them?
I don't have the tab, so I don't really know (but I should get it soon anyways ;) ) I just know it's a beast tablet and as JB update with stock firmware, so probably runs nice.
Here's the CM10, and its already android 4.1.2! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1845200
Bugs are not mentioned, so probably everything works. I see the guy who posted the ROM now, so it's something official ;)
I just love this tablet, so...
About the transformer variations, they say the prime is better - but I don't see any diferences. This version is cheaper :D There is also the tf700t, but I don't anything about that one, as they don't sell it on my country (Portugal).

benthe

Dec 1, 2011
Thanks.
I just looked it up on Asus' Global website and saw there are also the TF300TG and the TF300TL (in addition to the TF300T), what's the difference between the three?

Ghost ic0n

Oct 17, 2012
Houston
ghostic0n.deviantart.com
Why not Sony Xperia P? Decent build, gorgeous, good camera and audio, JB on the way, qHD camera and a decent hardware.

"I got my values. So you can keep yours, OK?"
Sony is in the phone business? At first, I would giggle. But seeing the Xperia P's specs, I don't think there's a better alternative around the same price range. Thanks a lot, BTW. Oh, and would you (or anybody else) recommend the Xperia S over the U if budget isn't a problem?

So far, the only problem I have with the U and S models is that they have poor battery life. If they can offer around 5-6 hours talk time, how many hours of music playing will they be able to offer?

Last edited:

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Sony is in the phone business? At first, I would giggle. But seeing the Xperia P's specs, I don't think there's a better alternative around the same price range. Thanks a lot, BTW. Oh, and would you (or anybody else) recommend the Xperia S over the U if budget isn't a problem?

So far, the only problem I have with the U and S models is that they have poor battery life. If they can offer around 5-6 hours talk time, how many hours of music playing will they be able to offer?

You're quite lost haha

I suggested the P because it's the best of the three on that price. If you're country has the T, and budget isn't a problem, then pick it up. If not, S. Then XP.

I myself have the XS (is this phrase grammatically correct?), and my battery is awesome in the latest firmware (look for the "Xperia S battery life" thread, and my latest posts there). I'd say it could offer at least 6 hours of direct playback without WiFi, or even more. Dunno.

Reactions: Ghost ic0n

Ghost ic0n

Oct 17, 2012
Houston
ghostic0n.deviantart.com
You're quite lost haha

I suggested the P because it's the best of the three on that price. If you're country has the T, and budget isn't a problem, then pick it up. If not, S. Then XP.

I myself have the XS (is this phrase grammatically correct?), and my battery is awesome in the latest firmware (look for the "Xperia S battery life" thread, and my latest posts there). I'd say it could offer at least 6 hours of direct playback without WiFi, or even more. Dunno.

Been doing my research, what do you (or anybody else) make of the Sony Xperia Ion? Can it sit comfortably between the S and T? Right now, I'm finding it to be the most interesting of all, especially since major reviews proved its music playback quality and battery life to be sweet along with having decent specs.

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
Been doing my research, what do you (or anybody else) make of the Sony Xperia Ion? Can it sit comfortably between the S and T? Right now, I'm finding it to be the most interesting of all, especially since major reviews proved its music playback quality and battery life to be sweet along with having decent specs.

The only difference between the ion and the S is the screen size and design, mostly.

The T is, with absolutely sure, that it's the best device between all those. The ion has almost no dev, when S have a medium to slow dev (but we have some nice things, such as KXP (AOKP for Xperia's), CM10, and stock based ROMs, and also dual boot. T dev is going to be really good, as many recognized devs seems to have got the device.

The XS battery, as I said, is great with the latest update, and the XT should be better than S (maybe not exactly right now, since it just got launched, so updates will come, but in the future I'm sure it will).

Ghost ic0n

Oct 17, 2012
Houston
ghostic0n.deviantart.com
The only difference between the ion and the S is the screen size and design, mostly.

The T is, with absolutely sure, that it's the best device between all those. The ion has almost no dev, when S have a medium to slow dev (but we have some nice things, such as KXP (AOKP for Xperia's), CM10, and stock based ROMs, and also dual boot. T dev is going to be really good, as many recognized devs seems to have got the device.

The XS battery, as I said, is great with the latest update, and the XT should be better than S (maybe not exactly right now, since it just got launched, so updates will come, but in the future I'm sure it will).
TBH, I'm lost right now lol. I'm just another one of those extra careful, extra whatever-you-call 'em type of people that can't decide on one thing. I've been looking around various deals for new, in-box & factory unlocked Xperia phones and so far, I'm finding deals of the Ion and S in which there's a $80 USD difference between the two. Other than just that price difference, I'm leaning towards the Ion, and I don't know why..... trust of the gut, maybe?

Anyway, the last thing I'd like to ask would be:
- What am I losing if I buy the Ion? And what am I gaining?
- What am I losing if I buy the S? And what am I gaining?

Both have ICS, and both have positive reviews. Although none of the reviews really mentioned sound quality/music play-back in general, will I be getting a proper iPod replacement if I pair any of the two sets with good quality headphones? Oh, and the XT is out of my budget. :p

BTW, thanks a bunch for the help!

Felimenta97

Aug 5, 2011
Ribeirão Preto
TBH, I'm lost right now lol. I'm just another one of those extra careful, extra whatever-you-call 'em type of people that can't decide on one thing. I've been looking around various deals for new, in-box & factory unlocked Xperia phones and so far, I'm finding deals of the Ion and S in which there's a $80 USD difference between the two. Other than just that price difference, I'm leaning towards the Ion, and I don't know why..... trust of the gut, maybe?

Anyway, the last thing I'd like to ask would be:
- What am I losing if I buy the Ion? And what am I gaining?
- What am I losing if I buy the S? And what am I gaining?

Both have ICS, and both have positive reviews. Although none of the reviews really mentioned sound quality/music play-back in general, will I be getting a proper iPod replacement if I pair any of the two sets with good quality headphones? Oh, and the XT is out of my budget. :p

BTW, thanks a bunch for the help!

Let me try to help you:

Ion
Pro:
Bigger screen (0.3 bigger)
Maybe a brighter screen
MicroSD slot

Con:
Smaller PPI (less pixels per inch, that makes the individual pixels easier to see)
Almost null dev (maybe not even root)
Boring design

S:
Pro:
Higher PPI (can't remember about numbers, but it's not they noticeable the difference)
More development
Easier root
Better design
More internal memory (32 GB vs 16 GB Ion)

Con
No MICROSD card slot
... Honestly I can't think of more cons for it.

Both phones have NFC, same camera and audio.

There is an awesome mod, which started on the XS forums, and spread when the compatibility to other devices got higher, that is awesome. It really increases the sound quality.

For the headphones, I'd say to toy to check the headphones thread on the accessories section of XS forums. There are dozens and dozens of pages with opinions, which headphones works, which work partially, etc.

prithvee

Oct 18, 2012
Mangalore
www.axndx.com
specs or brand name

What is the way to choose a phone? ????

SPECIFICATIONS OR BRAND NAME?????
COZ THE SMALLER BRANDS LIKE MMX AND KARBONN HAVE GREATER SPECS THAN THE LARGER BRANDS KEEPING PRICE IN MIND! !!!!!!!

Ghost ic0n

Oct 17, 2012
Houston
ghostic0n.deviantart.com
Let me try to help you:

Ion
Pro:
Bigger screen (0.3 bigger)
Maybe a brighter screen
MicroSD slot

Con:
Smaller PPI (less pixels per inch, that makes the individual pixels easier to see)
Almost null dev (maybe not even root)
Boring design

S:
Pro:
Higher PPI (can't remember about numbers, but it's not they noticeable the difference)
More development
Easier root
Better design
More internal memory (32 GB vs 16 GB Ion)

Con
No MICROSD card slot
... Honestly I can't think of more cons for it.

Both phones have NFC, same camera and audio.

There is an awesome mod, which started on the XS forums, and spread when the compatibility to other devices got higher, that is awesome. It really increases the sound quality.

For the headphones, I'd say to toy to check the headphones thread on the accessories section of XS forums. There are dozens and dozens of pages with opinions, which headphones works, which work partially, etc.

*checks XS development forum*

I'm buying the S. :cool:

Thanks for the help, you saved my first buy! :highfive:

gagdude

Jun 10, 2012
Northbrook
What is the way to choose a phone? ????

SPECIFICATIONS OR BRAND NAME?????
COZ THE SMALLER BRANDS LIKE MMX AND KARBONN HAVE GREATER SPECS THAN THE LARGER BRANDS KEEPING PRICE IN MIND! !!!!!!!

Here at xda, there is a bigger factor: development. And lesser known phones have none of that
And I don't think any phone has greater specs than the S4 Pro CPUs

Sent from my DROID2 using xda premium

rjunraj

Apr 4, 2012
surat
I want to buy a new android phone.
My budget is 12000
I am very fond of playing hd games and watching movies.
I dont prefer any brand
Which phone should i go for
I would like to buy
Spice mi 500 karbonn a21 or mmx a110
All are dual core
But really very confused coz its very difficuilt to compare karbon's msm7627 a snapdragon dualcore processor with aderno 203 gpu with spice mi 500's
Mtk6577 1ghz dualcore processor with powervr sgx 531 gpu.
Benchmark tests are almost similar

Joekite

Oct 18, 2012
I'm also looking to buy a new phone
My first (and currently in use with Cyanogen Mod 9) it's the sony xperia x10 mini pro, loved the OS but I think it's time to look for a new phone
As for the money something in between mid-high end phones wouldn't be a problem, Sony's phones are OK, but I saw the Samsung S3 recently and that beautiful screen really impressed me a lot, I can't afford it though.

I don't prefer any particular brands so please enlighten me with a good phone =P.

Thanks in advance for the help

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
I'm also looking to buy a new phone
My first (and currently in use with Cyanogen Mod 9) it's the sony xperia x10 mini pro, loved the OS but I think it's time to look for a new phone
As for the money something in between mid-high end phones wouldn't be a problem, Sony's phones are OK, but I saw the Samsung S3 recently and that beautiful screen really impressed me a lot, I can't afford it though.

I don't prefer any particular brands so please enlighten me with a good phone =P.

Thanks in advance for the help

Look at Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250

Reactions: Joekite

Joekite

Oct 18, 2012
Look at Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250

That's one sexy looking phone, the only thing that I would like to improve it's the camera, don't get me wrong it looks nice but something just a little bit better could make the difference plus an extra memory slot could come in handy

Thanks for the suggestion I'll keep it mind

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)