[Q] so i still havent found my answer

Search This thread

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
ok so im not new to android but im new to the g2

so im testing all the radios - thanks to all the help i got from xda member!
but im still trying to find the best spl :confused:

so i gather the desire hboot partitions more ram is this correct?

also what are the mtd partitions for the g2/desirez ?

also are there any opportunities for custom mtd partitions?

if anyone can help me on these i would really appreciate some answers, ive been searching for weeks but just cant get a straight answer. ive pm'd a couple of dev on this but havent gotten a straight answer yet so i figure ill throw this out to the xda public again!
well thanks in advance :D

Ditamae

Oct 30, 2010
ok so im not new to android but im new to the g2

so im testing all the radios - thanks to all the help i got from xda member!
but im still trying to find the best spl :confused:

so i gather the desire hboot partitions more ram is this correct?

also what are the mtd partitions for the g2/desirez ?

also are there any opportunities for custom mtd partitions?

if anyone can help me on these i would really appreciate some answers, ive been searching for weeks but just cant get a straight answer. ive pm'd a couple of dev on this but havent gotten a straight answer yet so i figure ill throw this out to the xda public again!
well thanks in advance :D

The DZ hboot allocates more memory to /system than does the G2 hboot. The DZ has the same amount of RAM as the G2. If you've got a G2 and you want to try a Sense ROM you'll need to flash the DZ hboot which you can find here: http://www.virtuousrom.com/2011/06/t-mobile-g2-users-migrating-to-desirez.html

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
so the only perk may be the having a larger system allocation. that brings me to having the ability to create my own mtd partitions custom to whatever rom i plan on using at the time. i checked through firerats and lbcoders scrips and it seems it is possible for the g2 and this was confirmed to be by another dev.
so has anyone been able to find a way for cmtd?

also what are the mtd partitions for the g2/desirez?

Ditamae

Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, that's about the only difference... DZ hboot adds about 130 MB to the /system from /data. I believe it also changes the /cache partition slightly as well. You know, I've never heard of anyone customizing their partitions are on G2/DZ, but I can't speak to whether it's possible... like you, I've read about it being done on other devices, but not ours.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
i used to do it all the time on my g1 due to the lack of memory. i loved having the option to customize it (thats what android is all about) id like to do it with my g2 although it is not as necessary but it would be nice. especially if i can move the cache and dalvik cache to my sd card leaving a ton of internal memory.

i hope to find someone who can help point me in the right direction to make this all work out, still waiting for a couple replies to pms so maybe i can get lucky :)
thanks anyhow

Ditamae

Oct 30, 2010
i used to do it all the time on my g1 due to the lack of memory. i loved having the option to customize it (thats what android is all about) id like to do it with my g2 although it is not as necessary but it would be nice. especially if i can move the cache and dalvik cache to my sd card leaving a ton of internal memory.

i hope to find someone who can help point me in the right direction to make this all work out, still waiting for a couple replies to pms so maybe i can get lucky :)
thanks anyhow

Yeah, no problem. I'm sure another user will have a more thorough answer for you. I can understand how the ability to divide up memory would be really important on a device like the G1. For me, I keep my phone super light, I'm got space to burn. ;) Good luck.

shortlived

Apr 4, 2009
I would imagine that have any cache on your sdcard would slow you down a LOT? Also have you checked out the various swap partition guides out there. Its not exactly what you looking for but it might help? 4ext allows you to reformat your partitions to ext4 but I never looked for anyway to change the size. This might be possible with that? I hope my post was not a waste of time as I don't have an answer for you but hopefully pointed you in the right directions. Good luck let me know how it turns out. I'm curious to know how it will affect performance.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Yeah swap is different, my main reason is to not waste space, I find it more efficient when a rom is let's say 74mb to have the system partion 76mb not 100. This leaves more room for internal memory. Also if the system partition is 100 and the rom is 110 then I can't use it. As for cache on the sd not too worried about this except when you have a cache of 30+ mb then that is unnecessary and could easily leave more room for internal memory. So my goal is to just map my mtd in a way that makes sence.
Thanks for all your responses I hope I can find an answer soon!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using xda premium