[GUIDE][ML1/NC1/NE1] TW 4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thread (7-10-14)

Search This thread

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I did a clean install I tried it twice once by just using the wipe and format and the second by deleting rom slot 1 and making it again, the first time was a major bootloop the second time it made it to the main screen but I couldn't connect to wifi it just kept shutting it off so I kept going and I didnt have a chance to get to the home page because android and flashlight kept force closing, so I just reflash Alliance with all its problems. Just sucks that in locked into 4.3 and they can't figure out a way to unlock it. I'm due for a upgrade anyway. But no I didn't install anything other then the rom and I picked stock and tw options in aroma
I'm not very familiar with safestrap, but all your force closures are likely due to whatever is installed in the stock slot.

What I would do is reload the full 4.3 (ml1 I think), reinstall safestrap, and try to install whatever rom you want over the stock rom slot and just forget using rom slots all together. That'll probably fix any kind of conflict your roms are having.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

N3RO2403

Apr 4, 2011
Statesville
I'm not very familiar with safestrap, but all your force closures are likely due to whatever is installed in the stock slot.

What I would do is reload the full 4.3 (ml1 I think), reinstall safestrap, and try to install whatever rom you want over the stock rom slot and just forget using rom slots all together. That'll probably fix any kind of conflict your roms are having.

so i need to odin flash a 4.3 ML1? then use towelroot to re root then use safestrap to flash over the stock rom slot...couldnt i just flash over the stock rom slot?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
so i need to odin flash a 4.3 ML1? then use towelroot to re root then use safestrap to flash over the stock rom slot...couldnt i just flash over the stock rom slot?
Yes, do that first, and do whatever you have to do to delete what's in the rom slot.

olufadi1

May 7, 2013
Trying to return to stock

I am running cleanrom 8.1 on android 4.3 with ML1. I am trying to return to completely stock and eventually upgrade to 4.4 OTA since I am not doing much customization these days. I have been reading around, but I am still a little confused with what I should do to completely return to stock (assuming it requires ODIN). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I am running cleanrom 8.1 on android 4.3 with ML1. I am trying to return to completely stock and eventually upgrade to 4.4 OTA since I am not doing much customization these days. I have been reading around, but I am still a little confused with what I should do to completely return to stock (assuming it requires ODIN). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
You need to flash 4.3 stock OTA tar file (look in the 4.3 download list), then take the OTA update. Or you can go directly to 4.4 if you find the 4.4 stock OTA tar file, but I'm pretty sure that link is broken in the 4.4 download list. Someone might have a copy of you ask around.

Or you could probably use the Verizon repair utility to install the most recent rom. The softbrick repair guides has tutorials and links to files you need.

Reactions: olufadi1

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
You can download full stock 4.4.2 here http://samsung-updates.com/device/?id=SCH-I535

olufadi1

May 7, 2013
Thanks. Pretty simple. Just didn't want to brick if there was any incompatibilities or something

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
I have read the thread and I know this is a warning to not unlock after 4.3 and beyond. However, my brother in laws S3 was ez unlocked before 4.3 but I flashed in TWRP a 4.3 stock based ROM and mL1 baseband a while back. I don't see any newer Roms out post 4.3 that are stock based. If I wanted to get him back on the OTA path since he does not care about root and Roms just Odin back to 4.3 will be safe and let him take OTA from there when they come?

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I have read the thread and I know this is a warning to not unlock after 4.3 and beyond. However, my brother in laws S3 was ez unlocked before 4.3 but I flashed in TWRP a 4.3 stock based ROM and mL1 baseband a while back. I don't see any newer Roms out post 4.3 that are stock based. If I wanted to get him back on the OTA path since he does not care about root and Roms just Odin back to 4.3 will be safe and let him take OTA from there when they come? What is most recent for the S3? 4.4?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I have read the thread and I know this is a warning to not unlock after 4.3 and beyond. However, my brother in laws S3 was ez unlocked before 4.3 but I flashed in TWRP a 4.3 stock based ROM and mL1 baseband a while back. I don't see any newer Roms out post 4.3 that are stock based. If I wanted to get him back on the OTA path since he does not care about root and Roms just Odin back to 4.3 will be safe and let him take OTA from there when they come?

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I have read the thread and I know this is a warning to not unlock after 4.3 and beyond. However, my brother in laws S3 was ez unlocked before 4.3 but I flashed in TWRP a 4.3 stock based ROM and mL1 baseband a while back. I don't see any newer Roms out post 4.3 that are stock based. If I wanted to get him back on the OTA path since he does not care about root and Roms just Odin back to 4.3 will be safe and let him take OTA from there when they come? What is most recent for the S3? 4.4?
4.4 is most recent, and yes that's exactly what I would do, or you can Odin 4.4 directly. Either will work.

schmaltzy

Jun 28, 2010

I'm in the same situation with my wife's phone. I rooted it and put CleanROM on there back in May so it's on the old 4.3. I don't have the S3 anymore so I haven't followed along. However, from what I understand, I should be able to leave her phone the way it is and just flash 4.4 from the download link? Do I flash it or ODIN? Will it wipe data or storage or anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I'm in the same situation with my wife's phone. I rooted it and put CleanROM on there back in May so it's on the old 4.3. I don't have the S3 anymore so I haven't followed along. However, from what I understand, I should be able to leave her phone the way it is and just flash 4.4 from the download link? Do I flash it or ODIN? Will it wipe data or storage or anything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You use Odin.

It'll completely wipe everything, it's a factory stock image.

schmaltzy

Jun 28, 2010
You use Odin.

It'll completely wipe everything, it's a factory stock image.

Do you happen to have another download link other than the one from Samsung? It is VERY slow. ETA on 4.4 is 9 hours!

EDIT - Never mind. There is this new thing called GOOGLE that, when you type in the right words, you can find other downloads!

Last edited:
Reactions: BadUsername

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
For folks stuck in 4.3 using safestrap could they use flashfire to flash a lollipop ROM since it doesn't user recovery or bootloader

No, a lollipop rom simply won't boot from a 4.3 bootloader, there's no way to simply bypass it.

The phone will boot, hit the aboot checkpoint, it'll see the lollipop rom loaded, and it'll abort the boot sequence.

Last edited:

yoonus

Jun 18, 2013
Morrisville
Verizon galaxy S3 (SCH-I535) - Boot loop

Hi,

I have a Verizon galaxy S3 ( SCH-I535) running android 4.4 NE1 firmware.

Recently it went to a boot loop. On power on, it will boot upto colourful SAMSUNG name and reboot from there.

I can go to Download or Recovery mode. Tried factory reset and wipe cache multiple times.
I have also flashed latest NE1 (from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2795659)
using Odin + factory reset. That also didn't help.

I tried Software repair Assistance. But it doesn't recognize the phone when connected to computer.

I took it to Best-buy Samsung experience centre and they flashed the image. Same behaviour.

Anyone seen same problem before? Any suggestions on what I can do next?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Doom2015

Nov 22, 2014
Ténès
Hi

I have a Samsung S3 4G Lte Verizon with a 4.4.2 release and I would like to root it and flash a recent release like 5.1.1 or another.
So if you could show me a step by step method to achieve my goal it would be so nice oy you.
I'm afraid to break up my phone doin' somethin' wrong as I'm a nubie.

Thanks for all

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I have a Samsung S3 4G Lte Verizon with a 4.4.2 release and I would like to root it and flash a recent release like 5.1.1 or another.
So if you could show me a step by step method to achieve my goal it would be so nice oy you.
I'm afraid to break up my phone doin' somethin' wrong as I'm a nubie.

Thanks for all

Unfortunately you can not achieve that goal. With the official 4.4.2 release the bootloader was locked. This means you can not install a true custom recovery, change kernels, and there are only three roms available at the moment. The ROMs are the stock 4.4.2 (what you have), PaulPizz's ROM, and SuperLiteROM. The dev for SLM is currently on the brink of posting a new release - v5, but I think it is still 4.4.2 based. It is wishful thinking to expect VZW to release a 5.x.x official ROM for this device. Such a release is needed for us to get anything past what we have.

I have SuperLiteROM v3 on my i535, but I'm not using it as a phone. I picked it up in May to expand my customizing skills, not knowing beforehand that it was locked down. I used Towelroot to obtain root. I then installed busybox to enable me to install the Unofficial Safestrap Recovery. Links to both can be found in the OP of this thread. Only after those two steps did I flash SLM onto slot 1 of Safestrap. You can find a link to SLM in the signature of the originator of the SafeStrap thread.

Reactions: BadUsername
i535 v. s968 diff? ANY input apreciated

Hope I am not "NecroPosting"

I bought a brand new (still in wrapper from china) GS3 from pageplus about 3 weeks ago.

Should have known if it was $39 retail price, there would be problems.

Presently I have a marginally functional telephone, that MIGHT be repairable by loading the "Right OS and Drivers" (firmare) ... The "Phone" barely recieves calls, often drops them, incoming callers frequently asking "Are you still there?" This indicates problems with either the HARDWARE radio/antenna, or the FIRMWARE (drivers / OS) for said radio. So, for 2 weeks I've been combing through everything on XDA about "Verizon GS3" ... And have become utterly confused. There are other problems with the "OS" as well, such as it scrambles imported contacts -- to name only one.

No, I haven't done anything to my phone. Presently dont even know if this is firmware repairable, or if I should replace it with (Yet ANOTHER) phone.

On another thread, an experienced user has said the i535 and s968 are using the exact same motherboard and radios, hard ware etc?

So, what are the differences between these two "Model designations"

My understanding is unclear here. From computer building experience, when you have an identical hardware configuration (same combination of components) the unit's are essentialy EQUAL. How does this translate to Android Phones (or the GS3, at least)??

What I presently understand, the i535 and s968 are "Something Like" Equal Computer one running Arch Linux, the other running Ubuntu ? There will be differences in the Kernel, etc...

But one can easily wipe the Computer and put Windows on it (ewww!) if need be...

I do understand there is something odd in the GS3 hardware that is "Designed to Self Destruct" and can kill the unit completely -- if the wrong code is run through the system. I have read a lot about certain "Baseband" might improve reception --- the basebands are ALL for the i535, my phone is s968.

ANY input will be appreciated

THANKS

VW

eh1san1

Aug 27, 2017
islamabad
4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thead

Do not use EZ-Unlock! You will instantly hard brick your phone and you will have to go through a painstaking hardbrick repair or get a JTAG repair.

Thread Purpose

The official 4.3 touchwiz update brought significant changes to the Verizon Galaxy S3. Once you took the update, the phone is completely stuck on the 4.3 or 4.4 base and any attempt to change the rom (unless using safestrap) will brick the device. Previous rooting and unlocking methods will no longer work on the update and will cause bricks if used. However, there are great threads going around regarding the update but are fragmented all over the device sections. We need a place to have all the information available on the new update. The old sticky roll-up thread should be used for anyone who still has an unlocked bootloader, meaning you did not take the 4.3 or 4.4 OTA update or your phone did not come with it pre-installed.

If you have 4.4 NE1 baseband you are unable to go back to any version of the 4.3 updates. Running any kind of 4.3 rom in safestrap will not work, and installing a stock 4.3 rom will brick your phone. You are limited to using a modified safestrap located in this thread, with no current modified custom roms.

This thread should strictly be for reference only, meaning posts should only be made if you believe a specific thread should be linked in the OP. If you want to discuss any aspects of this update that you're confused about, please use the 4.3 discussion thread (first linked sticky) or post your question in the Q&A forum. Keeping post counts low will make it easier for new members to access the information they need, so please post appropriately.

How can I tell if I have the official 4.3 or 4.4 update if I bricked my device?
It's important to know what base you're on so you can fix a brick. In any circumstance except a hard brick, once you boot into download mode you will see one of three possibilities:

If you're on a 4.3 or 4.4, you're in the right place:

Product Name: SCH-I535
Custom Binary Download: No
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
Qualcomm Secureboot: Enable
Warranty Bit:0
Bootloader RP Swrev: 0

If you're on the 4.1 baseband, you're in the wrong place and you should head here: Stickied Threads [9.2.13]
The information displayed in download mode will look like this:

Stuck Threads

https://towelroot.com
Only tool available that will root 4.4 NE1 and 4.3 NC1 basebands. Will also root 4.3 ML1.

Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1 and NC1) update discussion thread
Great resource with plenty of helpful people roaming the thread constantly. Use this thread to discuss any aspect of the 4.3 update you want.

[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
A tool that will root the 4.3 VRUCML1 base. Will not work on NC1 or NE1 basebands.

[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha]
Only custom recovery that will work on the 4.3 VRUCML1. Do not try to use any other custom recovery, you will brick your phone. Right now you can only install custom Touchwiz 4.3 roms, so follow the directions in the thread. Will not work on the VRUCNC1 baseband, lacks kernel modules for WIFI connectivity. Will not work at all on the NE1 baseband.

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01]
Only recovery that will work on the NE1 baseband.

[HOWTO]Comprehensive IMEI/EFS Backup
Old thread, but a good one. This should be done immediately after you root, steps A and B (if still possible).

[INDEX] TW 4.3 Download List (5-24-14)
Everything you can install on 4.3 basebands NC1 and ML1.

[INDEX] TW 4.4 Download List (7-10-14)
Everything you can install on 4.4 baseband NE1.

[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
Use this if you bricked your device, and you're still able to access download mode. You can also use this guide to return completely to stock if you need to. For NE1 you need to use an appropriate NE1 stock rom, not the 4.3 rom listed.

[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]
Use this if you bricked your device and can't enter download mode. Computer will recognize device as QHSUSB-DLOAD, but other than that you have no other sign of life. You can also fix this problem with a JTAG repair if you can't get this method to work.

Useful Information

If you have 4.3 VRUCNC1 baseband, since wifi modules aren't available it is recommend to Odin flash the Stock 4.3 VRUCML1 rom then root and install safestrap. That way you will have working wifi after rom installations.

[FAQ] KNOX and you
Very useful information on KNOX that everyone should understand. However, we have a locked bootloader and the sprint device doesn't, so don't listen to what he's telling you about flashing AOSP roms. If you do it you'll brick the phone, just understand what he's saying about what knox is.

[FIRMWARE] (MODEM/RPM/TZ/SBL) Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535)
Good information on the locked bootloader and why it can't be downgraded to a previous modem. Do not flash any files from this thread if you're on the 4.3 base.

I think that's all I can think of, hope this helps everyone who needs it!

I want to know i am using Sch i535 4.4.2 NE1 but when i reboot my phone into Download mode it says at
System Status = Custom
Current Binary = Samsung Official
and my boot screen shows Samsung Logo with unlocked icon word *Custom*

note: my phone is rooted nothing else and i'm on Stock rom what does it mean???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.4 and 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thead

Do not use EZ-Unlock! You will instantly hard brick your phone and you will have to go through a painstaking hardbrick repair or get a JTAG repair.

Thread Purpose

The official 4.3 touchwiz update brought significant changes to the Verizon Galaxy S3. Once you took the update, the phone is completely stuck on the 4.3 or 4.4 base and any attempt to change the rom (unless using safestrap) will brick the device. Previous rooting and unlocking methods will no longer work on the update and will cause bricks if used. However, there are great threads going around regarding the update but are fragmented all over the device sections. We need a place to have all the information available on the new update. The old sticky roll-up thread should be used for anyone who still has an unlocked bootloader, meaning you did not take the 4.3 or 4.4 OTA update or your phone did not come with it pre-installed.

If you have 4.4 NE1 baseband you are unable to go back to any version of the 4.3 updates. Running any kind of 4.3 rom in safestrap will not work, and installing a stock 4.3 rom will brick your phone. You are limited to using a modified safestrap located in this thread, with no current modified custom roms.

This thread should strictly be for reference only, meaning posts should only be made if you believe a specific thread should be linked in the OP. If you want to discuss any aspects of this update that you're confused about, please use the 4.3 discussion thread (first linked sticky) or post your question in the Q&A forum. Keeping post counts low will make it easier for new members to access the information they need, so please post appropriately.

How can I tell if I have the official 4.3 or 4.4 update if I bricked my device?
    It's important to know what base you're on so you can fix a brick. In any circumstance except a hard brick, once you boot into download mode you will see one of three possibilities:

If you're on a 4.3 or 4.4, you're in the right place:

Warranty Bit:0

If you're on the 4.1 baseband, you're in the wrong place and you should head here: Stickied Threads [9.2.13]
    The information displayed in download mode will look like this:

Stuck Threads

https://towelroot.com
    Only tool available that will root 4.4 NE1 and 4.3 NC1 basebands. Will also root 4.3 ML1.

Touchwiz 4.3 (VRUCML1 and NC1) update discussion thread
    Great resource with plenty of helpful people roaming the thread constantly. Use this thread to discuss any aspect of the 4.3 update you want.

[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3
    A tool that will root the 4.3 VRUCML1 base. Will not work on NC1 or NE1 basebands.

[RECOVERY LOCKED] Safestrap Recovery v3.71 [2014-01-10 Alpha]
    Only custom recovery that will work on the 4.3 VRUCML1. Do not try to use any other custom recovery, you will brick your phone. Right now you can only install custom Touchwiz 4.3 roms, so follow the directions in the thread. Will not work on the VRUCNC1 baseband, lacks kernel modules for WIFI connectivity. Will not work at all on the NE1 baseband.

[RECOVERY LOCKED/NE1] Unofficial Safestrap Recovery v3.75 [2014-06-27 KK B01]
    Only recovery that will work on the NE1 baseband.

[HOWTO]Comprehensive IMEI/EFS Backup
    Old thread, but a good one. This should be done immediately after you root, steps A and B (if still possible).

[INDEX] TW 4.3 Download List (5-24-14)
    Everything you can install on 4.3 basebands NC1 and ML1.

[INDEX] TW 4.4 Download List (7-10-14)
    Everything you can install on 4.4 baseband NE1.

[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]
    Use this if you bricked your device, and you're still able to access download mode. You can also use this guide to return completely to stock if you need to. For NE1 you need to use an appropriate NE1 stock rom, not the 4.3 rom listed.

[GUIDE] Debrick your bricked SCH-I535! [BOOTLOADER/HARDBRICK]
    Use this if you bricked your device and can't enter download mode. Computer will recognize device as QHSUSB-DLOAD, but other than that you have no other sign of life. You can also fix this problem with a JTAG repair if you can't get this method to work.

Useful Information

If you have 4.3 VRUCNC1 baseband, since wifi modules aren't available it is recommend to Odin flash the Stock 4.3 VRUCML1 rom then root and install safestrap. That way you will have working wifi after rom installations.

[FAQ] KNOX and you
    Very useful information on KNOX that everyone should understand. However, we have a locked bootloader and the sprint device doesn't, so don't listen to what he's telling you about flashing AOSP roms. If you do it you'll brick the phone, just understand what he's saying about what knox is.

[FIRMWARE] (MODEM/RPM/TZ/SBL) Verizon SGS3 (SCH-I535)
    Good information on the locked bootloader and why it can't be downgraded to a previous modem. Do not flash any files from this thread if you're on the 4.3 base.

I think that's all I can think of, hope this helps everyone who needs it!
    man we need some people to find a way to unlock the 4.4.2 bootloader cause this stock crap I can't do it...this was my mother's phone
    Maybe set up an undercover operation, get some ski masks and break into Samsung's headquarters. You're going to need a few runners to create a diversion, then get an expert computer hacker to steal the unlocked bootloader from their servers quickly before before they have time to catch up.

I think that's the only way it's going to happen.

I am unfortunately stuck on 4.3 stock that came with a warranty replacement phone. I somehow hard bricked it BUT the hard brick link above worked perfectly.

Thank you for this thread

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Updated the thread.

Still a work in progress I think, I might be missing some things.

This phone is getting more difficult for me to keep up with since I don't have it anymore, somebody please tell me if I posted something incorrectly or am missing something. I think I got it mostly correct.
    Help! I have a Samsung S3 I535 for Verizon with the very latest baseband version ...NC1. At this point I can do nothing with the phone as far as root, recovery or a custom ROM! My Sprint version of the S3 is much easier to work with! I surmise that my phone has the Knox boot loader and can not be unlocked? However, I thought that the phone (I535) could be rooted and have a custom recovery. Is this correct and I just can't seem to find the proper thread or am I stuck with STOCK for the rest of this phones (probably short if I can't set it up to my liking) life?

Read the OP of this thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2