Dell Axim WM6.x x50v, x51v, x50, x51 SDHC and other cards Support

Search This thread

ultraprimeomega

Oct 31, 2006
Texas
I just purchased a 64GB SDXC Card off Amazon.com, manufactured by Transcend, and fitted it into an SDHC CF adapter, and It WORKS! True, it comes formatted using the exFAT file system, and you need to insert it into a USB adapter, connect it to your computer, then use the "HP USB Disk Formatting Tool" to reformat it to FAT32, but after that little exercise, it works Perfectly. My device is, as always, a Dell Axim X51v, running WM6.1 LennySH's A07 Beta 3 version. My guess as to why this is, is that an SDXC card is basically just an SDHC card formatted with the exFAT file system. If you reformat it to FAT32, it will work on all manner of devices with no issues.

Cool then i think its time to take out my x51v, how is the write speed?

Did the hp tool complained about anything, and then you have a FAT32 64gb or close to it?

reply to: "ultraprimeomega"

Cool then i think its time to take out my x51v, how is the write speed?

Did the hp tool complained about anything, and then you have a FAT32 64gb or close to it?

Not a bit of complaint, the tool worked perfectly, and I have 64Gb, with no read/write issues as far as I can see. I've been using it almost continuously with no issues since the day I bought it. Regarding Read/Write speed, the card is rated as a class 10, and even with the CF adapter, it moves at a phenomenal speed, as the adapter is also rated for class 10 cards. I can watch all my video files at full speed, which was impossible with my old card, as some of the larger ones would lag badly. I was able to completely copy the contents of my (Full!) old card (32Gb) to the new one in about 4 hours. Once loaded, adding new information from other sources was very fast, and copying information between cards on my device takes next to no time at all.

Last edited:
128Gb Lexar SDXC Card, WORKS!

I am currently running a 128Gb SDXC Card, made by Lexar, on my Dell Axim X51v. It has 133x speed, and is loaded into a high speed CF Adapter. Combined with my 64Gb SDXC Card in the SD slot, I have a total of 192Gb of storage space on my device. I will soon be purchasing another one, giving me a total storage capacity of 256Gb. I purchased it from Comet Supply, for $193.13 Here is a link: http://www.cometsupply.com/mp/LEXAR MEDIA/pm/LXRLSD128CRBNA133/

dave_mcloud

Dec 23, 2012
Axim x51v SDHC speed inquiry

Hi all,

I have a Dell Axim x51v running WM6.1 dynamite A02.

This is the fastest ROM I have found for my application but it is still quite sluggish.

Basically, I have large dictionaries 1GB+ size that reside on an older SDHC card with no "class" noted on the card. The dictionaries are too large to store on the Ax's RAM.

***** Will I notice a difference on the x51v among class 2,4,6,10 SDHC cards? I suspect there are bottlenecks on the Axim (e.g. bus speed) that make the fastest cards useless upgrades but have no clue and have had no luck searching around for an answer.

Also "Unit Zer0" noted that he reformatted an SDXC card and got that to work. Beyond the additional capacity, does the SDXC card offer faster potential speed?

"I just purchased a 64GB SDXC Card off Amazon.com, manufactured by Transcend, and fitted it into an SDHC CF adapter, and It WORKS! True, it comes formatted using the exFAT file system, and you need to insert it into a USB adapter, connect it to your computer, then use the "HP USB Disk Formatting Tool" to reformat it to FAT32, but after that little exercise, it works Perfectly. My device is, as always, a Dell Axim X51v, running WM6.1 LennySH's A07 Beta 3 version. My guess as to why this is, is that an SDXC card is basically just an SDHC card formatted with the exFAT file system. If you reformat it to FAT32, it will work on all manner of devices with no issues."

Thanks!

Mr McLoud

dave_mcloud

Dec 23, 2012
SD Card vs Compact Flash question Axim

Question on read speeds of SD vs. CF cards for Dell Axim x51v. What is fastest option for reading/looking up huge Asian dictionaries?

The x51v was released 2005 (Intel XScale PXA270). As the SD and CF card standards were changing rapidly then, I suppose the bus speed is a key factor.

On the face of it, I fear the x51v runs crippled buses to save power or because 2006 standards were not fully released (and it is possible Intel/Dell run the SD and CF cards at same speed).

- SD card could be a slow 12.5 MB/s or updated SDHC standard of 25 MB/s.

--> I suppose either covers SDHC Class 10 speed cards (rated around at 10 MB/s).

- CompactFlash CF+ might be 66 MB/s or updated 133 MB/s (UDMA 133)

--> CompactFlash uses more power in idle unfortunately.

***I suspect the CF+ has probability of running much faster. I am considering Something like the SanDisk Extreme (120 MB/s read speeds, UDMA7, 32GB $30). Obviously the Axim is not running UDMA7 standards, but the CF is backwards compatable.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
____

ENDNOTES

So these seem to be card standards of the era per Wikipedia:

- SDHC format, announced in January 2006 and defined in version 2.0 of the SD specification, supports cards with capacities up to 32 GiB. Version 2.0 also introduces a High-speed bus mode for both SDSC and SDHC cards, which doubles the original Standard Speed clock to produce 25 MB/s.

--> SDXC format, announced in January 2009 and defined in version 3.01 of the SD specification, supports cards up to 2 TiB (2199023255552 bytes), SDXC adopts Microsoft's exFAT file system as a mandatory feature. Version 3.01 also introduced the Ultra High Speed (UHS) bus for both SDHC and SDXC cards, with interface speeds from 50 MB/s to 104 MB/s for four-bit UHS-I bus.

- CF+ and CompactFlash Revision 3.0 (2004) added support for up to a 66 MByte/s data transfer rate (UDMA 66), 25 MByte/s in PC Card mode.

--> CF+ and CompactFlash Revision 4.0 (2006) added support for IDE Ultra DMA Mode 6 for a maximum data transfer rate of 133 MByte/s (UDMA 133).

FYI

- x51v runs SDHC cards to 32GB (if using Windows Mobile 6.0 or higher, FAT32 format)

- Sandisk claims SDXC does not work in exFAT format. User "unit ZERO" at XDA-developers claims to have 64GB SDXC card in x51v (not sure how he formatted card)

- Several people run SDXC via high speed CF Adapter card

- UHS cards backwards compatable, but will default to low speed of device

--- Program called SwissKnife reportedly allows one to format SDHC ( >32 GB cards to FAT32)

sdcard.org/consumers/choices/bus_interface/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Axim#X51_family
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#SDHC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash#CF+_and_CompactFlash_specification_revisions
kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1996/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTcxODY0NzE0L3NpZC9mVSU3RXI0azd2RDhoSXJuX2VUYUFST3AxbElPSExURllQN0k3YnVHWDd3Yks0ejYzNXhySUx5TDlJUTNBOEZqWHhtSWo0dHpSUTRub1EwNF81VVJJdEo1MERUZzBkZjRKNDNHZXNiT28welpnUXZ1STlaSGRCT2Z5QSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D
kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd/sdhc/sdxc-specifications-and-compatibility
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/all/is-there-an-exfat-updatedriveretc-that-would-allow/dd655f26-3128-42ac-8611-cab0e23e54d6?messageId=a7474bc0-8c56-45d3-8f37-4051a0b62020
premiumbeat.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cf-cards/
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse466/08wi/labs/l7/pxa27x_developers_manual.pdf

dave_mcloud

Dec 23, 2012
Unit ZERO confirmed the following for the x51v:

- One can run 256GB "Class 10" SDXC Cards from the SD slot
- Always formatted SD cards to FAT32
- Had a speed mod for SD slot (not sure what that was!)

A reliable Aussie who sold hundreds of customised Axims confirmed that the:

- CF slot will work with 128GB cards
japaneselanguagetools.com/opinions/gbook.php

For big cards, I suppose you need to be running at least WM6.1 (or for older versions of WM at the SD patch referenced in the forums).

My plans for now:

- Whilst the CF could run at 66MB/s (or upto 133MB/s if Dell used the 2006 CF revision 4.0), CF cards are expensive. Also, the Axim will bump into RAM/CPU/BUS limitations sifting through 1GB of dictionary files.

- So maybe I start with a cheap SDHC Class 10 card and see if that is faster than the old unrated SDHC 4GB card inside the Axim now, which is probably as slow as SD cards get; the Axim's SD bus max is likely either the older 12.5MB/s or 25MB/s speed (2006 SD revision v2.0). If the search is much faster with the SDHC Class 10 card I will consider a CF card research.
___
There was an interesting 2013 article about SD-CF host controllers on some cameras crippling either the SD or CF slot. When using both SD & CF cards simultaneously, some cameras defaulted both ports to slowest speed. Not sure if this is the case with the Axim.

tested.com/tech/photography/455053-how-sd-card-speeds-are-often-limited-slow-memory-controllers/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    128Gb Lexar SDXC Card, WORKS!

I am currently running a 128Gb SDXC Card, made by Lexar, on my Dell Axim X51v. It has 133x speed, and is loaded into a high speed CF Adapter. Combined with my 64Gb SDXC Card in the SD slot, I have a total of 192Gb of storage space on my device. I will soon be purchasing another one, giving me a total storage capacity of 256Gb. I purchased it from Comet Supply, for $193.13 Here is a link: http://www.cometsupply.com/mp/LEXAR MEDIA/pm/LXRLSD128CRBNA133/
    IT WORKS!!!!! 64 GB SDXC on Axim X51v running WM6.1

I just purchased a 64GB SDXC Card off Amazon.com, manufactured by Transcend, and fitted it into an SDHC CF adapter, and It WORKS! True, it comes formatted using the exFAT file system, and you need to insert it into a USB adapter, connect it to your computer, then use the "HP USB Disk Formatting Tool" to reformat it to FAT32, but after that little exercise, it works Perfectly. My device is, as always, a Dell Axim X51v, running WM6.1 LennySH's A07 Beta 3 version. My guess as to why this is, is that an SDXC card is basically just an SDHC card formatted with the exFAT file system. If you reformat it to FAT32, it will work on all manner of devices with no issues.