[chromecast] [Android APP] y2cast v1.02 is released - DLNA/UPnP

Search This thread

mimepp

Mar 4, 2014
y2cast is released.
You could download it from google play store.

y2cast is a DLNA/UPnP media render, which could forward media to chromecast.
You could push media from iphone/ipad, android phone/pad, PC (windows, linux, mac) etc to y2cast.
e.g.: wondershare, moliplayer, pptv, kuaishou, targetv.
Keyword: chromecast, googlecast, DLNA, UPnP

User guide:
code.google.com/p/y2cast

1. Select your chromecast.
2. Press "Home", go to your video APP, e.g.: wondershare, moliplayer, pptv, kuaishou, targetv.
3. Play a video in your video APP.
4. Select "Push" in your video APP.
5. Select y2cast as DLNA/UPnP render.
6. Done.

You could cast local media, LAN, online video to y2cast, then to chromecast.

y2cast could let xbmc cast to chromecast too:
http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threa...oid(Y2Cast-amp-Moliplayer)-to-Chromecast-Free!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.liby2cast.app

Thanks I'll check this out when I get home.

making CCast a DLNA Renderer is one of the things I always thought CCast should do but doesn't.
It should really do it as part of the default home page as Google insists on a 5 Min receiver app timeout if idle.

I'm assuming that timeout is present and if you don't select media within that time frame we will have to re-activate the renderer app?

Or have you found some way around that on the sending side instead?

Reactions: tom_999

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Neat idea! I'd like to see a PC app/service that could present a DLNA renderer for every Chromecast on the network and do transcoding. I'd rather not use up my batt on the phone and a universal dlna->chromecast mapper running on a fast PC would be sweet!

mimepp

Mar 4, 2014
Neat idea! I'd like to see a PC app/service that could present a DLNA renderer for every Chromecast on the network and do transcoding. I'd rather not use up my batt on the phone and a universal dlna->chromecast mapper running on a fast PC would be sweet!
Actually, y2cast is only a render (DMR), not a player (DMP).
After you push media to y2cast, y2cast will forward media to chromecast.
chromecast will get the link of media, and starts to play it.
After chromecast started to play it, you could even quit y2cast.
Media file will keep playing on chromecast since chromecast already gets the link.

If you want to push a new media or control playback (pause/seek), you could run y2cast again.
After connected y2cast to chromecast, you could pause/seek the media which is still playing.

Last edited:

rkirmeier

Jun 18, 2010
Actually, y2cast is only a render (DMR), not a player (DMP).
After you push media to y2cast, y2cast will forward media to chromecast.
chromecast will get the link of media, and starts to play it.
After chromecast started to play it, you could even quit y2cast.
Media file will keep playing on chromecast since chromecast already gets the link.

If you want to push a new media or control playback (pause/seek), you could run y2cast again.
After connected y2cast to chromecast, you could pause/seek the media which is still playing.

Interesting... Thanks for the clarification.

kawaiichi

Dec 13, 2013
I don't understand step 4. Select "Push" in your video APP. Basically I play a video in my favorite app moliplayer or mxplayer but I can't see an option to "push" at all. What am I doing wrong?

drivenby

Mar 8, 2012
I don't understand step 4. Select "Push" in your video APP. Basically I play a video in my favorite app moliplayer or mxplayer but I can't see an option to "push" at all. What am I doing wrong?

In moliplayer there's an option (select the settings menu while playing a video, render to : ) to select a external rendering device

If you have ys2 running in the background, then it will show up in moliplayer, which will then cast it to your cc

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Reactions: EarlyMon

kawaiichi

Dec 13, 2013
In moliplayer there's an option (select the settings menu while playing a video, render to : ) to select a external rendering device

If you have ys2 running in the background, then it will show up in moliplayer, which will then cast it to your cc

Thanks, I found it in moliplayer, but not in mxplayer

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Hi,

To push from an Ipad, you have to first start the y2cast program from an Android phone. So, why wouldn't you just also push from the Android phone instead of the Ipad. Am I missing something or is an Ipad version of y2cast coming where you wouldn't need the Android phone? Or would this work with 2 Chromecasts at the same time once you started y2cast, one for the phone and one from the Ipad?

Thanks

mimepp

Mar 4, 2014
Think about this case:
You have an Android phone, your wife has a ipad.
She'd like to use ipad to push media file to chromecase, not operate on your Android phone, right?
:D

vincent1964

Mar 1, 2014
Hi Again,

I was trying to get this working on my computer without a phone using Bluestacks, an android emulator. It works the same as on the phone except the cast button doesn't show up on Y2Cast. Is there any way to get the cast button to show up that you know of or is it not possible.

Thanks

mimepp

Mar 4, 2014
I do not try bluestacks, but please make sure y2cast and chromecast is under the same LAN, otherwise, it could not find chromecast.

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
Hi,

To push from an Ipad, you have to first start the y2cast program from an Android phone. So, why wouldn't you just also push from the Android phone instead of the Ipad. Am I missing something or is an Ipad version of y2cast coming where you wouldn't need the Android phone? Or would this work with 2 Chromecasts at the same time once you started y2cast, one for the phone and one from the Ipad?

Thanks

Depends on what people are watching. Because not all apps on Ipad are available on Android and vice versa. Or you may prefer how smoothly certain apps run on Ipad versus Android, or vice versa. I've tested it from our Ipad Air and I think it's brilliant.

Yes, it would be nice and tidy if y2cast was available for IOS. But this is a very cool work-around. Keep in mind you're still relegated to using apps that support DLNA. What would make y2cast even cooler is if it supported Airplay. Because I also tested apps on the Ipad that only support Airplay and the Airplay button was grayed out. I was hoping for some miracle that it would allow me to Airplay to y2cast. LOL! But it can't. You need DLNA supported apps.

ermacwins

Aug 25, 2009
The seekbar is definatelt smoother than allcast, shows the timer changing but the seek head returns to the beginning

ironmaskusa

Jul 25, 2011
USA
All cast .avi video support from my android

I'm finding that I can't cast .avi files with Allcast or this app. Will there be any support? Mp4 files are the only video types I see. Further more, I've tried a lot of other cast apps for .avi files on my android nexus 7 and they just give a black screen and broken audio. Anyone had any success? Do tell! :p

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    y2cast is released.
    You could download it from google play store.

y2cast is a DLNA/UPnP media render, which could forward media to chromecast.
    You could push media from iphone/ipad, android phone/pad, PC (windows, linux, mac) etc to y2cast.
    e.g.: wondershare, moliplayer, pptv, kuaishou, targetv.
    Keyword: chromecast, googlecast, DLNA, UPnP

User guide:
    code.google.com/p/y2cast

1. Select your chromecast.
    2. Press "Home", go to your video APP, e.g.: wondershare, moliplayer, pptv, kuaishou, targetv.
    3. Play a video in your video APP.
    4. Select "Push" in your video APP.
    5. Select y2cast as DLNA/UPnP render.
    6. Done.

You could cast local media, LAN, online video to y2cast, then to chromecast.

y2cast could let xbmc cast to chromecast too:
    http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/threa...oid(Y2Cast-amp-Moliplayer)-to-Chromecast-Free!
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.liby2cast.app

Thanks I'll check this out when I get home.

making CCast a DLNA Renderer is one of the things I always thought CCast should do but doesn't.
    It should really do it as part of the default home page as Google insists on a 5 Min receiver app timeout if idle.

I'm assuming that timeout is present and if you don't select media within that time frame we will have to re-activate the renderer app?

Or have you found some way around that on the sending side instead?

Enjoy Emmy Award on y2cast.
    I installed y2cast yesterday and it was working fine. But today it fails to connect to chromecast: the android device shows the error message "The request to launch the application has timed out", while the tv shows "404 There isn't a GitHub Page here..." error.
    Please help.

It is OK now, please check it again.