[Q] [SOLVED] ADB issues

Search This thread
Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull
EDIT: solution here

Hi all,

My HTC OX+ died, and I bought a Motorola Moto G (Falcon) to see me through to the end of my contract. Aside from the price, the big draw was CM support.

I've unlocked by bootloader and installed TWRP without trouble (when I was screwing with my HOX+, I read that CWM doesn't support sideloading. Since - correct me if I'm wrong - the 'cleanest' way to install a ROM is to format the SDcard completely, then install the ROM, sideloading support is vital).

I've tested and confirmed root access (initially, I thought not having the SU binary installed was an issue, although I did have TWRP installed fine). However, I'm stuck with adb - in recovery, adb does not recognise what I do. I've tried installing, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from various sources (first the ones offered my Motorola during the unlocking process, then the ones from Windows Update, and last but not least ones from here: http://d-h.st/5j0 - following advice of a thread I found on here). I've tried doing this both automatically and manually using Device Manager.

Usually, precisely because of these problems, I hate using Windoze for this kind of thing. However, I don't have a Linux distro open to me atm - other than in VirtualBox, in which case adb still doesn't pick up the phone (presumably because its reliant on the host Windows drivers). I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it fixed.

Not that they can be conclusively relied upon, but as confirmation it is a drivers issue (despite Device Manager finding no problem), when the phone is connected in recovery (TWRP), Windows plays an odd sound - three tones instead of the usual two.

Any help would be appreciated. My Windows is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Also, I've no problems at all when the stock OS is booted - or at least 'adb devices' detects the device and displays it correctly.

Thanks!

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
andrux-and-me.blogspot.com
Moto G
Moto E
CWM does work with sideloading (that's the way i installed CM the first time ;) ) [make sure to use the one linked in CM11 thread!]

if i understand correctly:
  • fastboot works fine (since you could unlock the BL)
  • adb works when the device is booted
  • adb fails when in recovery

make sure you are using the latest adb :
Code:
matmutant@Manjaro-1011PX ~ $ adb version
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

if your version is lower than 1.0.31, then update it (in that case your adb is outdated regarding the 4.4 bootloader) ==> update your Android SDK manager or your adb binary :)

Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull
CWM does work with sideloading (that's the way i installed CM the first time ;) ) [make sure to use the one linked in CM11 thread!]

if i understand correctly:
  • fastboot works fine (since you could unlock the BL)
  • adb works when the device is booted
  • adb fails when in recovery

make sure you are using the latest adb :
Code:
matmutant@Manjaro-1011PX ~ $ adb version
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

if your version is lower than 1.0.31, then update it (in that case your adb is outdated regarding the 4.4 bootloader) ==> update your Android SDK manager or your adb binary :)

Do you think CWM is preferred to TWRP? If sideloading is supported, it's not like you spend much time in recovery anyway, so if you think it'll help, flashing CWM is definitely something I can do...
AFAIK...

- have only used fastboot briefly to install recovery, but this went without a hitch.
- ADB does indeed work when the stock OS is booted
- As above. Fails in recovery, I suspect because of a driver issue (weird Windows sound when connected, no Autoplay popup etc). You can kind of understand this...writing a driver for the device in recovery is hardly a key issue for the devs (though I confess, why it can interact with the same hardware with one set of programs loaded (i.e. stock OS) and not another (i.e. TWRP) I've no idea) :(

Just issued the command, and (as expected since I downloaded the bundle only yesterday from Google) I am running 1.0.31.

Last edited:

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
Do you think CWM is preferred to TWRP? If sideloading is supported, it's not like you spend much time in recovery anyway, so if you think it'll help, flashing CWM is definitely something I can do...
AFAIK...

- have only used fastboot briefly to install recovery, but this went without a hitch.
- As above. Fails in recovery, I suspect because of a driver issue (weird Windows sound when connected, no Autoplay popup etc). You can kind of understand this...writing a driver for the device in recovery is hardly a key issue for the devs (though I confess, why it can interact with the same hardware with one set of programs loaded (i.e. stock OS) and not another (i.e. TWRP) I've no idea) :(

Just issued the command, and (as expected since I downloaded the bundle only yesterday from Google) I am running 1.0.31.

In fact i never tried TWRP : i have always been happy with CWM so i didn't feel the need to change :) (so you can give a try but i don't think it would change anything)

Try to run ADB as administrator it may help (i think you can open cmd as admin with windows but don't remember how :-\)
I don't know how USB drivers work : there's a long time i didn't use Windows

Reactions: ArminasAnarchy
Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull
In fact i never tried TWRP : i have always been happy with CWM so i didn't feel the need to change :) (so you can give a try but i don't think it would change anything)

Try to run ADB as administrator it may help (i think you can open cmd as admin with windows but don't remember how :-\)

I think I can figure this out - I'll double check it was running as admin, and try flashing CWM.

As with flashing ROMs, do I need to wipe anything first? Or can I just use the same command I used for flashing TWRP in the firs place?

If it's still not working, (re) installing Linux seems an idea to try (I assume you're not on OSX?). What distro do you use and/or do you know others have had no problems with? (Usually if I was installing Linux, I'd take Ubuntu's minimal iso and stick as little as possible on top of it - since the drivers are likely to be something cut out of that though, installing a 'normal'/'full' .iso seems sensible)

Cheers for your help, man :)

robin0800

Jan 22, 2012
Brighton
Google Pixel 7a
I think I can figure this out - I'll double check it was running as admin, and try flashing CWM.

As with flashing ROMs, do I need to wipe anything first? Or can I just use the same command I used for flashing TWRP in the firs place?

If it's still not working, (re) installing Linux seems an idea to try (I assume you're not on OSX?). What distro do you use and/or do you know others have had no problems with? (Usually if I was installing Linux, I'd take Ubuntu's minimal iso and stick as little as possible on top of it - since the drivers are likely to be something cut out of that though, installing a 'normal'/'full' .iso seems sensible)

The latest TWRP has in its wipe menu a setting to wipe to install a new rom I use this and with the Gapps & rom Zips on the phone choose install from sd card.
You only need fastboot to flash recovery or stock roms.
Adb is not needed at all but can still be used if you prefer!

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E

To install CWM :same as for TWRP, no wipe required

________

Linux :
I'm using Mint (Cinnamon and Xfce) since a while [ubuntu based distro] and Manjaro since a few days [Arch based]
If you want yo install linux without touching your HDD you can do the following :
  • Burn an iso (Xubuntu could be nice)
  • Take a blank 16GB USB key and unplug your HDD to void issues
  • Boot on live CD
  • Install linux to that USB device
  • And now each time you want linux : just force boot your computer to USB (no grub / no modifications on HDD)

To use ADB you'll need the Android SDK Manager (to stay up-to-date) and set up your udev rules following this

Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull

________

Linux :
I'm using Mint (Cinnamon and Xfce) since a while [ubuntu based distro] and Manjaro since a few days [Arch based]
If you want yo install linux without touching your HDD you can do the following :
  • Boot on live CD
  • And now each time you want linux : just force boot your computer to USB (no grub / no modifications on HDD)

To use ADB you'll need the Android SDK Manager (to stay up-to-date) and set up your udev rules following this

Is the android-tools-abd and android-tools-fastboot package in the Ubuntu repos not maintained to be the latest? I've no idea about Arch package names, but again, it'd surprise me if they didn't maintain their repo with the latest package (especially since they pride themselves on being on the bleeding edge).

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
Is the android-tools-abd and android-tools-fastboot package in the Ubuntu repos not maintained to be the latest? I've no idea about Arch package names, but again, it'd surprise me if they didn't maintain their repo with the latest package (especially since they pride themselves on being on the bleeding edge).

It is up-to-date on arch/Manjaro (I don't remember the package name either)
On Ubuntu it wasn't when I needed (February), so I installed SDK package :-/

Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull

Right, well...we'll see how it goes. It might be the repo package does the job.

I've installed CWM and can conclusively confirm I prefer TWRP (the interface is hardly touch-friendly and even though I'm using the touch build, it's easier to use the volume rocker in case of accidental presses) but little else. Windows seems completely ****ed up - when CWM is booted, it plays the disconnect sound, when the cable is unplugged and plugged back in it goes back to playing the 'unknown' tone. Currently torrenting Xubuntu - going to see if a live install has any more luck.

Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull
Full solution

Right, I'm running TWRP with CM11. There are a couple of issues bothering me, but that's another thread...

Solution:

- From stock, booted into recovery, then replaced TWRP with CWM. Rebooted into CWM.
- Tested sideload from CWM. Still non-functional. Made sure cmd.exe was running with administator privileges, still no difference. Time for _buntu!
- Installed Xubuntu. Connected to wifi, downloaded
Code:
 android-tools-adb
and
Code:
 android-tools-fastboot
. Plugged in phone. Checked
Code:
 adb version
(it is the latest, 14.04 was released in April after you checked in Feb, and the new release must have updated the package...seems strange no one backported it though).
- Sideloaded and did a dirty flash of CM11 (didn't want to wipe without first confirming I could flash and everything was functional). Issues (as expected) such as slow loading but able to boot up.
- Decide it's time to push my luck and flash TWRP - this goes without a hitch.
- Test sideload. Still working, so perform full wipe and factory reset. Then sideload CM11 + GApps.
- Reboot into CM11. Still some issues so flashed the CM11 kernel using fastboot (not sure if TWRP does this automatically, but since the boot up improved a bit, I'd guess not).
- Now have a fully functional phone, albeit some of the changes from CM10.x to CM11 have disorientated me a bit...

Thanks for your help man. As with a lot of things this turned out to be a dopey Windoze issue than a problem with the phone or adb etc!

Reactions: matmutant

highspeedfelon

Jun 3, 2014
TWRP

TWRP has sideload ability.
Boot into recovery and got to the "Advanced" button then the "ADB Sideload" button is at the bottom. I am on TWRP v2.7.0.0 and I used it the other day so I know for sure it works.

matmutant

Mar 17, 2011
~/
Moto G
Moto E
Right, I'm running TWRP with CM11. There are a couple of issues bothering me, but that's another thread...

Solution:

- From stock, booted into recovery, then replaced TWRP with CWM. Rebooted into CWM.
- Tested sideload from CWM. Still non-functional. Made sure cmd.exe was running with administator privileges, still no difference. Time for _buntu!
Code:
 android-tools-adb
and
Code:
 android-tools-fastboot
Code:
 adb version
(it is the latest, 14.04 was released in April after you checked in Feb, and the new release must have updated the package...seems strange no one backported it though).
- Sideloaded and did a dirty flash of CM11 (didn't want to wipe without first confirming I could flash and everything was functional). Issues (as expected) such as slow loading but able to boot up.
- Test sideload. Still working, so perform full wipe and factory reset. Then sideload CM11 + GApps.
- Reboot into CM11. Still some issues so flashed the CM11 kernel using fastboot (not sure if TWRP does this automatically, but since the boot up improved a bit, I'd guess not).
- Now have a fully functional phone, albeit some of the changes from CM10.x to CM11 have disorientated me a bit...

Thanks for your help man. As with a lot of things this turned out to be a dopey Windoze issue than a problem with the phone or adb etc!

I'm happy it worked fine finally ! :)
And thank you for providing the way you did it, that could help some other people having similar issue.

Jun 19, 2013
Kingston Upon Hull
Boot into recovery and got to the "Advanced" button then the "ADB Sideload" button is at the bottom. I am on TWRP v2.7.0.0 and I used it the other day so I know for sure it works.

I think you mis-read somewhere. I know TWRP has sideload, I used it on my HOX+. It was CWM I was unsure of...

And thank you for providing the way you did it, that could help some other people having similar issue.

That was the idea, yeah :).

I love the way the moral of the story is "Don't expect Windows to do the job properly. EVER. (Or at least not without several hours of screwing with it first)."

Reactions: matmutant

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    AFAIK...

The latest TWRP has in its wipe menu a setting to wipe to install a new rom I use this and with the Gapps & rom Zips on the phone choose install from sd card.
    You only need fastboot to flash recovery or stock roms.
    Adb is not needed at all but can still be used if you prefer!

________

Linux :
    • Boot on live CD

Full solution

Solution:

Code:
     android-tools-adb
    and
    Code:
     android-tools-fastboot
    Code:
     adb version

I think you mis-read somewhere. I know TWRP has sideload, I used it on my HOX+. It was CWM I was unsure of...

That was the idea, yeah :).

I love the way the moral of the story is "Don't expect Windows to do the job properly. EVER. (Or at least not without several hours of screwing with it first)."