[KERNEL] [3.1.10] [OC@1.5GHz/OV/BFQ/smartassv2/init.d] Atlantis R2

Search This thread

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
This is my first kernel build ever (not just for the Nexus 7). Just a starting point for more hacking on the Nexus 7.

Flashable zip package attached.

It should go without saying that anything you do with this package you do at your own risk.

Features
  • Insecure
  • init.d support
  • Overclocked to 1.5GHz
  • Voltage tweaks at OC clocks
  • BFQ scheduler
  • smartassv2 governor
  • lagfree governor
  • Made kernel version not suck

Notes
You should root and install busybox into /system/xbin before flashing this kernel. Don't flash this if you don't know what you're doing as I'm too lazy to include n00b instructions.

Credits
Thanks to Virtuous team for their updater-script for this device.

Source
https://github.com/zaventh/nexus7-kernel-grouper

Blog post
http://www.jeffmixon.com/custom-nexus-7-kernel-atlantis-r2-released/

Screens
wQonS.png

59rlP.png

Cheers...

Attachments

• atlantis_r2_n7_grouper.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 5,192
Last edited:

MC153

Apr 11, 2012
Northern, Utah
Great work! Now I definitely can't wait for my nexus to ship.

Edit: If you could try adding smartassv2. This is a popular governor that I would really enjoy on the nexus 7.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
That CPU score is sexy!

Yes it is... :cool:

Edit: If you could try adding smartassv2. This is a popular governor that I would really enjoy on the nexus 7.

Sure. I'll be adding several custom governors to choose from.

P39LK.png

this is compatible with the stock rom right? ik it has to be rooted btw :p

Yes, it's compiled from stock kernel sources.

Last edited:

evilstewie23

Jul 6, 2011
Thanks so much man. Can't wait to get my nexus so I can flash this. Hopefully before the 18th which is my birthday. I had heard though that smartass didn't work so well with more than 1 core though. Could you clarify on that.

Sent from my Rezound

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Thanks so much man. Can't wait to get my nexus so I can flash this. Hopefully before the 18th which is my birthday. I had heard though that smartass didn't work so well with more than 1 core though. Could you clarify on that.

Sent from my Rezound

Smartass v1 was made for single core cpu's. Smartass v2 was made for dual core cpu's, so v2 might work better on a quad core? V2 doesn't really work all that well on my single core cpu for the phone I have.

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com
Smartass v1 was made for single core cpu's. Smartass v2 was made for dual core cpu's, so v2 might work better on a quad core? V2 doesn't really work all that well on my single core cpu for the phone I have.

Exactly right. I actually never really liked smartassv2 in general, but I think it is working out fairly well on the N7, actually.

tOdSa.png

This is after just a little bit of game time, some regular usage, and some sleep time. I may need to tweak some of the higher clock values so it scales up a bit more gracefully. At any rate, there will be plenty of options to play around with.

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
Exactly right. I actually never really liked smartassv2 in general, but I think it is working out fairly well on the N7, actually.

tOdSa.png

This is after just a little bit of game time, some regular usage, and some sleep time. I may need to tweak some of the higher clock values so it scales up a bit more gracefully. At any rate, there will be plenty of options to play around with.

So whats the heat production and stability like at 1.5ghz? When you say 1.5ghz, is that like the htc one x where it is actually 1.4ghz but you can go to 1.5ghz when only using one core, or is it all four cores clocked at 1.5 please? :) Got to admit that a gpu OC would be really nice. :) This looks great, thanks :)

Last edited:

sparksco

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
docs.google.com
Is it possible to get scary gov on this? I think it's based on smartassv1 but not really sure. It gives me a good balance between performace and battery. Or perhaps we could make a scaryV2 lol?

lhayati

Sep 20, 2010
Oxford
Great work for a first Kernel :)

Is the extra battery drain worth that .2ghz of extra horsepower? Because i've heard it's a perfectly capable device @ 1.3ghz.

zaventh

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
www.jeffmixon.com

Is the extra battery drain worth that .2ghz of extra horsepower? Because i've heard it's a perfectly capable device @ 1.3ghz.

Thanks. Naturally, it's a matter of personal preference of course if it is "worth" it to OC any processor. OC'ing the N7 was more of a "because I can" thing than for any practical reason. The CPU is impressive as is.

The N7 is probably the fastest and most responsive mobile device I've ever seen even at stock, mostly thanks to the hardware but also due to Jelly Bean's ability to leverage this kind of raw power.

The actual battery drain between 1.3GHz -> 1.5GHz will all depend on how much time you spend at those higher clock speeds, of course.

Dark_Knight2

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks. Naturally, it's a matter of personal preference of course if it is "worth" it to OC any processor. OC'ing the N7 was more of a "because I can" thing than for any practical reason. The CPU is impressive as is.

The N7 is probably the fastest and most responsive mobile device I've ever seen even at stock, mostly thanks to the hardware but also due to Jelly Bean's ability to leverage this kind of raw power.

The actual battery drain between 1.3GHz -> 1.5GHz will all depend on how much time you spend at those higher clock speeds, of course.

Thank you for this kernel. I cant wait for my nexus 7 :D

Sent From A Rotary Phone

emergant

Jul 4, 2012
Do we know at what speed the ram is clocked?

The transformer infinity uses DDR3 at 1600. The 300t is much lower though

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

emergant

Jul 4, 2012
Thanks. But DDR3-667 as in tf300 or DDR-1600 as in Tf700 or something else

I thought about putting this in QA but thought the dev might know. Sorry if that was a bad call

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is my first kernel build ever (not just for the Nexus 7). Just a starting point for more hacking on the Nexus 7.

Flashable zip package attached.

It should go without saying that anything you do with this package you do at your own risk.

Features
    • Insecure
    • init.d support
    • Overclocked to 1.5GHz
    • Voltage tweaks at OC clocks
    • BFQ scheduler
    • smartassv2 governor
    • lagfree governor
    • Made kernel version not suck

Notes
    You should root and install busybox into /system/xbin before flashing this kernel. Don't flash this if you don't know what you're doing as I'm too lazy to include n00b instructions.

Credits
    Thanks to Virtuous team for their updater-script for this device.

Source
    https://github.com/zaventh/nexus7-kernel-grouper

Blog post
    http://www.jeffmixon.com/custom-nexus-7-kernel-atlantis-r2-released/

Screens
    wQonS.png

59rlP.png

Cheers...

That CPU score is sexy!

Yes it is... :cool:

Sure. I'll be adding several custom governors to choose from.

P39LK.png

this is compatible with the stock rom right? ik it has to be rooted btw :p

Yes, it's compiled from stock kernel sources.

Sent from my Rezound

tOdSa.png