Did you stay stock or root?

Search This thread

jaekidd1012

Nov 27, 2007
New York, NY
Until this disappearing IMEI mess gets sorted I'm staying stock. As I understand it, the IMEI disappears when users flash new ROMs so I should hopefully be fine so long as I don't flash any custom ROMs. I'll one day try to root my Note II and pray that my theory is correct. I wanna apply some tweaks and get rid of some bloat and crapware.

A L3G3ND4RY Galaxy [SGH-T889 Galaxy Note II]

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
Until this disappearing IMEI mess gets sorted I'm staying stock. As I understand it, the IMEI disappears when users flash new ROMs so I should hopefully be fine so long as I don't flash any custom ROMs. I'll one day try to root my Note II and pray that my theory is correct. I wanna apply some tweaks and get rid of some bloat and crapware.

Same reason why I came back to 100% stock. That damn imei issue lmao

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
I'm bone stock. I've always rooted and put a custom ROM on my android phones but for the first time I don't feel I need to. This thing is flawless.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
Well I am using nova launcher. Actually I go back and forth between nova and next launcher. But nova is what I'm usually using.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I think im gonna check out nova. Looking for some more customization in stock

john.2011

Jul 3, 2012
Stock means you can use all sharecast.
Rooted plus custom ROM means updated latest OS like 4.2.1 and so on

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix

Ive never heard of anyone have this issue unless they tried flashing a none TMO based, or not directly ported for TMO GNII, rom, that or didnt root properly. Most devs dont even make custom roms that mess with modems/radios (or atleast give the user the option to choose through aroma during install)...

Outside of the occassional Craigslist scam, im sure 99% of those issues fall into one of those situations, and please correct me if im wrong.

But considering 99% of those that do root/mod dont experience these issues, id say its as safe as safe can be when it comes to these sort of risks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: Mftek1

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
Rooted, custom ROM. No regrets. I've been fortunate to use great custom ROM's so far. Right now rinning Tweaked. Runs perfect and has some nice mods. Jedi is also another favorite. Also ran stock rooted for a bit, which was great too.

G●Note~2 {Jedi X5}

jigglynuts

Jan 21, 2011
Cincinnati
Rooted. I change roms a few times a week and never had any issues. If you follow directions I see no way that you could lose your imei. Plus if you have a backup it is super easy to restore.

Even for people that want to stay stock, I cannot imagine why you would not want to root. You can get rid of the bloat and have full control over your stock experience. I stayed stock for 2 weeks when I got the phone. I loved it and did not have any issues whatsoever. But rooting took it to a whole new level of amazing. Unlimited multiwindow is a big plus for me and titanium backup is a must have (just to name a couple things). I have never enjoyed a phone more than I do currently.

To each their own!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

eduardmc

Sep 18, 2007
i rooted using exynos abuse. those this count has root? just did it to restore my titanium backup. any problem with warranty or IMEI by doing this?

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
Rooted, custom ROM. No regrets. I've been fortunate to use great custom ROM's so far. Right now rinning Tweaked. Runs perfect and has some nice mods. Jedi is also another favorite. Also ran stock rooted for a bit, which was great too.

G●Note~2 {Jedi X5}

Thanks for the input bro! I might consider root again and try a couple roms

Reactions: Warrior1975

Warrior1975

Jul 19, 2012
i rooted using exynos abuse. those this count has root? just did it to restore my titanium backup. any problem with warranty or IMEI by doing this?

I'm pretty sure your fine as far as warranty but I could be wrong. No problem with imei either. You can check your device status by going into settings/about device/status, scroll to bottom it will tell you device status. If it says modified, technically that would void your warranty. There is a way around that too though. Triangle away.

G●Note~2 {Jedi X5}

Mftek1

Sep 26, 2010
Sylmar
Still currently 100% stock. But, might consider rooting today and flashing a jedi series.
Full control of multiview is drawing me in lol

dan_tm

Jan 2, 2013
Rooted and using Jedi Master roms.

To each his own, but for all those saying this phone doesn't need rooting/roms, that's true in the same way I didn't need to upgrade from my G2x. It sure is nicer, though.

tongueman87

Jul 7, 2011
Rooted stock rom for me! Just awesome phone just wish I could get official 4.1.2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    im stock. I havent came across a reason for me to root or install a rom.
    Just curious to see:

How many people actually stayed stock vs
    How many people actually rooted/flashed roms and actually stayed rooted

I havent seen a tread like this, and I thought it would be pretty cool to see what everyone else has done ^.^

I rooted mine the first minute I had it home. For several reason...

1. I like to use my device as a "Linux learning tool"
    2. I think it is morally wrong to sell a computer to somebody and tell them what they can't do with it
    3. customization

flashed a ROM? that didn't happen until after about a month or so when the UVL4 update dropped or whatever for t-mo. continued to play around with it.

i don't think anybody should have an android device and NOT be rooted. just doesn't make sense not to. saved backups, tipping off the "performance cup" of your device. getting updates as you choose, not as they are force upon you. removing spyware from your device.

there is no reason to NOT root.
    Stock. Too beast of a phone for custom ROMs to be a necessity.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app
    First off I must say I absolutely love my Note it took years to find the perfect phone and now I have it :)

Second I had been so happy with it I had absolutely no plans on rooting or roms etc. its that good stock.

Coming from my SG2 I did miss my free tethering so I decided I would go ahead and root and leave it at that.........well that didnt stay because I just like to tinker too much :p

I have installed Jedi XX and all I can saw is WOW! just when you think it cant get any faster its blazing and even my data speeds have improved!

+1. JediX-X is the bomb! Rooted my N2 the day after I got it. :D

Do u recommend jedi xx?

Definitely! Really great rom. JediX if you want multi window or Jedi Master if you need wifi calling.

Sent from my Note 2 via Tapatalk!
    Rooted with deodexed rom.
    So far I've enabled wallet (which I use all the time), unlimited multi windows(use all the time), changed my status bar up, bootanimation and sound, and spen sounds...