Credit card required?

Search This thread

camo_flage

Nov 17, 2012
Been hearing that a credit card is required. Been hearing that some people have had no prompt to enter one. Do I really need a credit card to setup a gaming console??? Do debit cards work?

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda premium

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
Mine got far enough to let me create a username and password and then made it to a screen asking for a credit card or redeem code. If it had its way, you would be stuck at that screen. It accepts virtual credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid ones, if you dont want to give them your american express black card number. I gave them some $1 prepaid BS with a zip code in beverly hills, 90210 and got past it. There's a rumor going around that a secret button combo will let you bypass that screen. I tried for 30 minutes mashing buttons and never found that combo.

However, by the time you make it to that screen, the android framework is already running, adb is chugging right along. You are perfectly free to 'adb install" apps and another launcher if you want. You may not be able to access the ouya market, even to play the free portions of games. But you can sure as **** sideload emulators, media players, and games.

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
However, by the time you make it to that screen, the android framework is already running, adb is chugging right along. You are perfectly free to 'adb install" apps and another launcher if you want. You may not be able to access the ouya market, even to play the free portions of games. But you can sure as **** sideload emulators, media players, and games.

Lol glad I'm not the only one that was bothered by that.

camo_flage

Nov 17, 2012
Wait debit cards? So I could use my scotiabank card?

Sent from my Vivid 4G using xda premium

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
They must have changed it since then. I got mine on launch day and it updated right away. Then did this mess where it really wanted the credit card info.

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
The Day 1 update added this, but I'm kind of thinking it's a bug that it's mandatory, then again if it was they should have pushed out a fix by now....

Their website says it's mandatory to have some form of payment before you can download anything, but says you should be able to use "credit cards, debit cards, and pre-paid/gift cards and promo cards"

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
I've had my OUYA for well over a month and have never added card info. I can still download and play demos. I don't plan on buying many games until I see how viable this system is. I'm going to have to get a second controller replacement, because my top right trigger broke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
It sounds like the people that set theirs up before the current update came out didnt have this forced credit card screen. For the people buying them at launch day, the first thing it does is update to RC-OUYA-1.0.328-r1_ota.zip, and when you go through the account setup process in this FW, it requires a credit card or some other form of payment.