Google Search widget APK?

Search This thread

BeeDubs

Aug 21, 2010
Since it does not seem possible to install the widget through the marketplace - testament of one user who played with the Fascinate in store - and many people won't know how to or will be afraid to root, can we get the Google Search widget APK file so people can install apps not from the market place? This way, users could install the widget and disable Bing.

Would that work as an alternative to rooting for the purpose of installing Google Search?

dcarr622

Oct 18, 2008
dcarr.io
Anyone been able to find an APK of the original (non-smoked widget)? Would really be nice. What did people end up doing on the Backflip which has a similar problem being locked to Yahoo (which is now Bing ironically)??

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
Right now Bing is tied to the search widgets via the browsers. You can install the Google search widget, but you'll get reidrected to Bing because Verizon hooked the browser. If you install a new browser (Dolphin HD has been confirmed to work) and set it as your default browser, you should be able to install the Google search widget and get results from Google. (You may need to clear some settings to remove the default browser choice). The widget is already on the device, it can be installed from LauncherPro (use LauncherPro to add the widget, it will find it).

ace5198

Jun 24, 2010
dennison,oh
launcher pro does give you the widget. but your results will still come up as bing when you use it. and that interface sucks and the widget only shows up when using the launcher pro home screen.. it wont transfer to the regular screen

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
If you install this .apk you should get your default Google searches back (ie no more Bing redirect). I think you'll still have to add the widget via LauncherPro, but at least you won't get hijacked any longer.

Attachments

• EnhancedGoogleSearchProvider.apk
    245.2 KB · Views: 4,976

Zennmaster

Mar 5, 2010
www.zennmaster.com
If you install this .apk you should get your default Google searches back (ie no more Bing redirect). I think you'll still have to add the widget via LauncherPro, but at least you won't get hijacked any longer.

Well whaddaya know, it works! You've De-Binged the fascinate!

Just 'cause I'm trying to learn more about this stuff, do you mind if I ask how yo found that?

-Z

Also, I can confirm, Launcher Pro is indeed needed to install the widget.

Last edited:

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
Well, not quite.. You still need LauncherPro to get the widget, and for a lot of people, it doesn't fix the voice search via long-hold of the soft search key.. (if you hold the magnifying glass button down). But it does get us a good deal of the way towards getting rid of bing.

That particular .apk was from a Captivate I think? I found it posted at the AC forums for another (but similar) issue.

Zennmaster

Mar 5, 2010
www.zennmaster.com
Well, not quite.. You still need LauncherPro to get the widget, and for a lot of people, it doesn't fix the voice search via long-hold of the soft search key.. (if you hold the magnifying glass button down). But it does get us a good deal of the way towards getting rid of bing.

That particular .apk was from a Captivate I think? I found it posted at the AC forums for another (but similar) issue.

Cool, thanks! I've got a sneaking suspicion that the true De-Binging will come from pushing a replacement browser app from another model SGS.

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
I removed the Bing apps immediately along with one of the Search apks and I saw that when I pressed the search soft-key, it shows Google in the search box, but after executing a search it still uses bing.com to execute the search. For that reason, I agree with Zennmaster that de-Binging may come from another Browser.apk.

Did installing the Google search widget for you guys change the web page used for the soft-key search?

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.sunny16.org
I removed the Bing apps immediately along with one of the Search apks and I saw that when I pressed the search soft-key, it shows Google in the search box, but after executing a search it still uses bing.com to execute the search. For that reason, I agree with Zennmaster that de-Binging may come from another Browser.apk.

Did installing the Google search widget for you guys change the web page used for the soft-key search?

Use the apk I posted, your redirect will be gone. If you've already removed your bing.apk file, then your voice search should be fixed as well. Yes, soft-key included.

sfinkel4

Sep 11, 2010
Newb

Can someone walk me through getting rid of Bing and moving over to google across the board. Rooted, but would rather now use a launcher if possible

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
Can someone walk me through getting rid of Bing and moving over to google across the board. Rooted, but would rather now use a launcher if possible

I can't remember everything, but I definitely removed the app I500_BingSearchAndroid_07152010.apk, then installed the app posted above. You can remove the file using Titanium Backup or Root Explorer. You can also install the apk above using Root Explorer or any other type of file manager. ADB can also do these tasks as well, just not as fancy. There may have been another .apk I removed that was related to Bing, but I can't remember.