Zagg InvisibleSHIELD Screen Protectors (My review and discussion)

Search This thread

Skullmonkey

Jul 31, 2010
I purchased a Zagg HD Screen protector yesterday. I must say that I am very impressed with this product.

What comes in the case:
(From left to right)
20120531091138.jpg

1. Zagg HD Screen Protector (Can you see it?)
2. Application solution
3. RUBBER Squeegee
4. Micro Fiber Cloth

Side note: When I installed this, I took a shower and when I was drying off, I turned the water on the hottest it will go to get the room nice and steamy to take down most of anything that could be floating in the air. Other then that, I applied as directed. Bubbles have formed since the screen protector has set (which is expected) and since has worked themselves out.

Pro:
-Rubber feeling? What rubbery feeling? This thing feels like the actual screen!
-I don't see a difference in screen clarity or color.
-Doesn't reduce responsiveness from the screen.
-Cover existing scratches. (Yep, got one on the screen already. Tiny, but still enough to tick me off. Thanks co-worker!)
-Comes with a rubber squeegee; not a cardboard one that scratches your new screen protector.
-Comes with a high end microfiber cleaning.
-Lifetime warranty.
-1000x better then the OtterBox screen protector (which I removed).

Cons:
-Fingerprints and smudges. They are reduced from the actual screen but they are still pretty bad after about 3 hours of use.
-Cut out for the proximity sensor is off. I had to off center mine to get the sensor to be in the hole but my Otter Box case jides the edges.
-Wet apply. (Not a con to me but may be for some people. You will be fine if you apply carefully and squeegee away from any ports.)

You can buy these products from Zagg (Normal version) or from Best Buy (HD Version).

Discussion for both versions are welcome.

Last edited:

shellguy

Sep 23, 2007
the HD screens are much better than what the normal ones they used to use. I have one of the old school ones on my EVO 4G. It is a bit sticky, but this one is great.

Will

henderjr

I bought one from Best Buy and it messed up the proximity sensor. So when I'd call someone or get a phone call the screen would turn off immediately and wouldn't come back on without hitting the power button. The proximity sensor is just to the left of the hole they put in. The sensor they put the hole in for is the light sensor (I believe). I cut my Zagg to make it a wider rectangle instead of a circular hole and now the proximity sensor works perfectly. I think I read somewhere that eventually Zagg plans to fix the issue (with enough complaints).

Just throwing my two cents in. Love the protector overall.

Skullmonkey

Jul 31, 2010
I only see 1 sensor in that area and I have it barely uncovered by the cut out. Working fine for me.

ticois2nice

Mar 23, 2008
I bought one from Best Buy and it messed up the proximity sensor. So when I'd call someone or get a phone call the screen would turn off immediately and wouldn't come back on without hitting the power button. The proximity sensor is just to the left of the hole they put in. The sensor they put the hole in for is the light sensor (I believe). I cut my Zagg to make it a wider rectangle instead of a circular hole and now the proximity sensor works perfectly. I think I read somewhere that eventually Zagg plans to fix the issue (with enough complaints).

Just throwing my two cents in. Love the protector overall.

Same here bought my hd screen from bb now having problems with my sensor. I had to remove the screen

Sent from my EVO 4g Lte

henderjr

I only see 1 sensor in that area and I have it barely uncovered by the cut out. Working fine for me.

There are two sensors. The light sensor and then proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is hard to see as it's just left of the light sensor. You'll see it light up (it's red) when on a call. It's there, very dim, but there. And for some reason some users with screen protectors, myself included, have had issues with Zagg since they didn't include the hole for that sensor.

Last edited:

liemydude

Jun 21, 2007
Anyone have an idea when Zags will fix this issue? I bought the HD screen protector but haven't installed it

Sent From My EVO LTE

Mathman85

Feb 15, 2011
Chicago
I have the Zagg from Best Buy and the sensor cutout is fine. The shield itself is a couple millimeters too narrow, though. On my EVO 4G, it went edge to edge; this one leaves a little space on each side. Not a deal breaker, but the edge of the shield seems to catch lint easily.

And for those of you who, like me, got the screen protector and then realized they kind of want the back cover, too (damn fingerprints), you can contact Zagg for a warranty replacement, select "upgrade" and pay an extra $10 to get the full cover. Given the cost, I ordered a $4 full body protector from Amazon, but if that one sucks, I'll give that a shot. At least the option is there.

regalpimpin

Jun 21, 2010
Just got off the phone with Zagg. They are sending me the "revised" shield. Shipping costs on them.

Seems pretty clear they are well aware it is causing issues.

I'll just deal with the proximity sensor issues until that one comes, if it's different i'll post a pic so everyone can see the change.

Reactions: Ep3n3wp

Skullmonkey

Jul 31, 2010
Just got off the phone with Zagg. They are sending me the "revised" shield. Shipping costs on them.

I'll just deal with the proximity sensor issues until that one comes, if it's different i'll post a pic so everyone can see the change.

Do you have to ship the old one back?

liemydude

Jun 21, 2007
I guess ill wait and see if the revised one fixes the issue before I install

Sent From My EVO LTE

TaintedByte

May 24, 2009
I purchased the normal version and it only seems to have space for one sensor. I wonder if I should give this one to my gf and buy the HD one at Best Buy. I've always used the regular ones, from someone that has used both. What is the difference between the HD and the regular one?

svinyard

Jun 9, 2010
OK, I've done a bunch of testing with this. My wife an I both have the Zagg HD sheild and BOTH have the proximity issue.

Here is the deal, the zagg has a notch in it and rightfully so BUT there is another proximity sensor to the left of it about a centimeter away. NOW, this other sensor is invisible until you make a call. Then, in lower light you can see it. It's a small dark red dot. Like its sending out an infrared ray or something which it probably is. This little red dot is covered by the Zagg...and hence why your screen doesn't come back in normal light when you pull your phone away from your ear.

Thats it, its the Zagg that is covering it. I'm going to call into Zagg and get a replacement as well. If not then I'll return this to best buy.

Ryno_666

Aug 25, 2009
I no longer like this screen protector dents way to easy all it takes is a fingernail, sux because other than that its great.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

brnail

Oct 31, 2007
My family has three LTE's and three Zaggs. My Zagg is the HD and had the proximity issue until I cut it. The other two have the regular Zagg and do not have the proximity issue, although the cut out is only big enough for the light sensor.

It appears to me, based on our phones, that the HD is the only one that causes the problem. The regular ones appear to be fine.

shellguy

Sep 23, 2007
My family has three LTE's and three Zaggs. My Zagg is the HD and had the proximity issue until I cut it. The other two have the regular Zagg and do not have the proximity issue, although the cut out is only big enough for the light sensor.

It appears to me, based on our phones, that the HD is the only one that causes the problem. The regular ones appear to be fine.

Which is sad since the HD costs more.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ptrd

Jan 3, 2009
Weird I have the HD one from BB and I have taken the phone away and the screen has come on just like my OG EVO.

Maybe I got lucky?

durandetto

Jan 11, 2010
Hartland, MI
I've had no issue with mine and since I put my otterbox on there is even a wrinkle right over the proximity sensor. I think the people having a problem with the zagg are actually having a hardware issue.

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There are two sensors. The light sensor and then proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is hard to see as it's just left of the light sensor. You'll see it light up (it's red) when on a call. It's there, very dim, but there. And for some reason some users with screen protectors, myself included, have had issues with Zagg since they didn't include the hole for that sensor.
    I purchased my Zagg Screen Protector from Sprint when I bought the EVO 4gLTE - it was different from previous ZAGG protectors I have purchased - it installs dry - with no spray or whatever they put in the bottle that comes with most zaggs - it installed beautifully - has a great feel - very real - no rubbery feel - and I don't ahve any issues with the Proximity Sensor - I can see there is a cut out - but I can't tell if the cut out is big enough for two sensors or what - I only know I don't have any issues - and the screen protector works great -

maybe I got lucky? :)
    Really? I've not seen this. Can you send a picture? I used the HD exaggerated for awhile, and it didn't have this.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

There ya go
    That's if you manage to actually damage the thing. They're not going to send you a free one for a bad install.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app