[Q] Installing Ubuntu 13.04 on Mexus 7(2012)

Search This thread

gravyandfries

Jan 20, 2011
Hi guys, I can't find any recent posts to help me so sorry if this is redundant. I want to install Ubuntu Desktop (not touch) on my nexus 7. I downloaded a mirror for the image but i cant find the one click installer and have no idea how to push the files myself. I installed the Touch version to my nexus just to try and get an understanding of how it does it but it was way over my head. Thanks for any and all help!

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
If you have no idea how to push the files yourself, are you sure you are ready to attempt even a one click installer? What will you do if it fails?

Sent from my Nexus 5

gravyandfries

Jan 20, 2011
Figured it out

If you have no idea how to push the files yourself, are you sure you are ready to attempt even a one click installer? What will you do if it fails?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Well to be honest, I figured out how to push using (sudo fastboot devices) all that junk got it stuck in a loop but then found out! If I download the bootimg and the IMG file I can pish both the first as sudo fastboot flash boot /path/.booting and the other sudo flashboot flash user data /path/.img suggestions are still welcome though. I took off the Ubuntu 13.04 and am currently installing LXDE might make a thread for people like me that want it yet.

joesnose

Dec 5, 2009
multirom

I suggest you install twrp and multirom, then search for multiboot ubuntu, there's a thread round here wIth a handful of precompiled linux distros. This allows you yo keep android while enjoyong running linux.

Oh and I reccomend not using unity in ubuntu iy is terrinle and keeps crashing.

I have ubuntu permanently installed but very rarely use it. Lacks hardware accelleration, which is a shame as I think nvidia o[en sourced the tegra drivers. I dod have a little go at getting them running but failed miserably!

gravyandfries

Jan 20, 2011
I suggest you install twrp and multirom, then search for multiboot ubuntu, there's a thread round here wIth a handful of precompiled linux distros. This allows you yo keep android while enjoyong running linux.

Oh and I reccomend not using unity in ubuntu iy is terrinle and keeps crashing.

I have ubuntu permanently installed but very rarely use it. Lacks hardware accelleration, which is a shame as I think nvidia o[en sourced the tegra drivers. I dod have a little go at getting them running but failed miserably!

I found that installing just Ubuntu 13.04 desktop image and installing gnome or lxde and changing the swappiness to 5 or 0 works great. It runs great. No lag, i have been able to use it without any problems. Did you try that? As for the hardware acceleration I looked into that but seeing as I'm just learning linux and its programming I don't wanna try it. If anybody wants me to post how i installed everything to my tablet I could post the images and give a little tutorial if needed just to help :p

D

Darth

Ubuntu is a useless OS at this point.

Also....are Mexus devices really cheap? Like Sorny TV's? :)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...