bought a stolen ultra...

Search This thread

madsatan

Nov 3, 2010
vancouver
i just bought a ultra off craigslist ....
it was fine for 2 days ... now the phone is blocked .. cant call out ...no service...
i checked on the imei canada website .. it says this phone is stolen ... wtf .....
cant get hold of the guy who sold me the phone ... not sure that was him report it stolen or not ...

dont think i call Bell and they will do anything about it ....
i read online about changin imei ... and that should work .... in theory
any idea how do i do that?? i dont want to weast my 500$$$$

or any other suggestion ....

Last edited:

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
i just bought a ultra off craigslist ....
it was fine for 2 days ... now the phone is blocked .. cant call out ...no service...
i checked on the imei canada website .. it says this phone is stolen ... wtf .....
cant get hold of the guy who sold me the phone ... not sure that was him report it stolen or not ...

dont think i call Bell and they will do anything about it ....
i read online about changin imei ... and that should work .... in theory
any idea how do i do that?? i dont want to weast my 500$$$$

or any other suggestion ....
There is an easy way to chnge the IMEI, just downgrade from .290 to any older firmware :laugh:

Wont solve the outgoing acll problem as the IMEI will be all 0's, but it will have changed.

Other than that file a Police report for the fraud, return the phone to the person who had it stolen and clame the $500 back with creditcard protection?

madsatan

Nov 3, 2010
vancouver
so change imei wont work ??

return the phone to the person who had it stolen.... ya right ... thats mean i lose out 500$$ just like that ....
what does it do for me when i go file a police report... they gonna take the phone away .. i still lose 500
if there no way to fix this problem
i might as well just keep it and use it as a very expensive tablet ...
damn it ....

There is an easy way to chnge the IMEI, just downgrade from .290 to any older firmware :laugh:

Wont solve the outgoing acll problem as the IMEI will be all 0's, but it will have changed.

Other than that file a Police report for the fraud, return the phone to the person who had it stolen and clame the $500 back with creditcard protection?

hamdogg

May 14, 2012
New Zealand
www.youtube.com
so change imei wont work ??

return the phone to the person who had it stolen.... ya right ... thats mean i lose out 500$$ just like that ....
what does it do for me when i go file a police report... they gonna take the phone away .. i still lose 500
if there no way to fix this problem
i might as well just keep it and use it as a very expensive tablet ...
damn it ....

was it a direct credit?

If so then the bank will require police authorisation to contact the other bank for a reverse transaction. This is very difficult to do as police will probably deferred it to the digital fraud squad. and they are always busy.

If it was credit card you have 20 days to contact them to reverse it. After that you'll need to contact them saying you have been defauded. Credit card companies are insured against this. and you will get your money back.

Paypal. Easiest option. You will always win with proof i.e. photos / video of the device not working.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Just a heads up, it's not allowed to discuss IMEI changing/manipulation on XDA. I would edit that part out of the OP so the thread doesn't get locked. We can discuss what you can do to solve this whole debacle though.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London
As said previously imei changes are illegal and definitely not discussed on xda.

Personally I would call Bell immediately and let them know so it's on record, then I'd contact the police. Police are pretty good when someone's doing the right thing.

Show them the Craigslist transaction and leave the rest up to the powers that be.

The only way you'll definitely get your money back is by selling it on and leading some other poor unsuspecting person down the same path which let's face it would be a crappy thing to do.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hassanmahmood

Jan 3, 2012
As said previously imei changes are illegal and definitely not discussed on xda.

Personally I would call Bell immediately and let them know so it's on record, then I'd contact the police. Police are pretty good when someone's doing the right thing.

Show them the Craigslist transaction and leave the rest up to the powers that be.

The only way you'll definitely get your money back is by selling it on and leading some other poor unsuspecting person down the same path which let's face it would be a crappy thing to do.

I remember reading a post where someone had a similar experience and called Bell to find out whether or not their phone was on a blacklist - the representative apparently admitted to the guy that it was indeed on a blacklist and then asked him if he'd like it removed from the list.

The user claimed that after that conversation his phone started working perfectly.

I think I also recall him saying he'd called in around noon - and that it may have been his second call to them - his claim was that they don't get a lot of calls around the time he called in and so it was an inexperience rep who was able to remove the hold on the handset.

I don't know where I read this - but you could try searching the forum with keywords like Bell, Stolen, IMEI, Change, Rep - etc.

Good luck - that sucks balls.

Reactions: SpyderTracks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I remember reading a post where someone had a similar experience and called Bell to find out whether or not their phone was on a blacklist - the representative apparently admitted to the guy that it was indeed on a blacklist and then asked him if he'd like it removed from the list.

The user claimed that after that conversation his phone started working perfectly.

I think I also recall him saying he'd called in around noon - and that it may have been his second call to them - his claim was that they don't get a lot of calls around the time he called in and so it was an inexperience rep who was able to remove the hold on the handset.

I don't know where I read this - but you could try searching the forum with keywords like Bell, Stolen, IMEI, Change, Rep - etc.

Good luck - that sucks balls.