What's this mysterious third port?

Search This thread

zaneburton

Mar 28, 2012
2012-06-27_10-29-54-1024_gallery_post.jpg

What port is that?

Why does this Nexus 7 not have that port?
IMG_5136_gallery_post.jpg

Last edited:

Cl8rs

Nov 6, 2010
Roseville
I have a funny feeling its a HDMI port, but only for certain Nexus 7 devices. The Xperia Play Developer version had the same thing, but the normal one they sell doesn't have one. So it may be a "developers" Nexus 7 with a HDMI port.

Just my thoughts...

Einride

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah, looks like a micro-HDMI port.

Probably found on the developer and/or internal versions for mirroring to external display during presentations (like on yesterdays keynote).

bigbop

Nov 18, 2005
Toronto
Well, from the schematics that were posted today, I have a feeling that is a JTAG port, since it's located right beside J1 (a 24pin connector on the main board) that has serial and JTAG IO pins. It would be good for the engineers not to have to keep opening the unit to flash it vis JTAG, which is a LOT faster than flashing over USB.

AZImmortal

Dec 22, 2010
What schematics are you referring to?

Edit: Never mind, I found the thread.

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
The nexus 7s from the unveiling event had micro hdmis for presenting them on the big screens. That's where these pictures are from.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
It's probably a HDMI connector. But HDMI is usually already supported (on other platforms) by running an MHL output over the micro-USB. This would explain why they didn't bother adding that port to production line. (It's always better to have to buy external adapters, right!?)

However, for the Samsung Galaxy S3, there have been some confusion, which seem similar to what you got there...

PS. JTAG is very unlikely. They'd never redesign the entire case just to add a JTAG port.

slack04

May 4, 2010
Wow, nice work digging up an old thread. (look at that date gap...). The presentation N7s had HDMI ports.

Go check out some of the other threads from this date (the day it was announced) and you'll see this question was asked, debated, fought over, and confirmed several times here on XDA.