Screen wont turn on

Search This thread

Caebron

May 7, 2010
Out of the blue - or so it seems - my screen will no longer turn on.

I was listening to music and pushed the power button to change the station and the screen would not turn on.

When I push and hold the power button the phone will vibrate briefly, indicating that the shortcut menu to reboot/ mute the phone has come up, just that the screen remains black.

When I try calling myself the screen will not turn on nor will the phone ring.

When I plug the USB cable into the phone, the screen remains black instead of turning on like it normally would.

The screen will turn on randomly on the rare occasion, but the screen wont respond to touch.

Help!

Caebron

May 7, 2010
Sounds like a good candidate for rma

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Not sure that will fly Google. I dont believe there is a warranty beyond the 30 days you have for return. Worth a try though!

long press the power button for 30-45 seconds..

Thanks. That rebooted the phone and fixed the problem for now. Now it works most of the time, but now and then the screen will still fail to turn on when pressing the power button.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Not sure that will fly Google. I dont believe there is a warranty beyond the 30 days you have for return. Worth a try though!

Thanks. That rebooted the phone and fixed the problem for now. Now it works most of the time, but now and then the screen will still fail to turn on when pressing the power button.

There's a one year warranty, where are you located?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

there are apps thatll cause this to happen, mods as well. its like a sod, sleep of death.

samersh72

Nov 26, 2012
GB
meettomy.site

boot into safe mode and see if the issue persist.( long press power button then long press power off)

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Out of the blue - or so it seems - my screen will no longer turn on.

I was listening to music and pushed the power button to change the station and the screen would not turn on.

When I push and hold the power button the phone will vibrate briefly, indicating that the shortcut menu to reboot/ mute the phone has come up, just that the screen remains black.

When I try calling myself the screen will not turn on nor will the phone ring.

When I plug the USB cable into the phone, the screen remains black instead of turning on like it normally would.

The screen will turn on randomly on the rare occasion, but the screen wont respond to touch.

Help!

what app were you using to listen to music with? and why would you press the power button to change the station?

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
OP give more details about your phone. is it unlocked/rooted or custom Rom? Google replaces unlocked/ re-locked phones anyways, I think it wouldn't hurt to reflash stock image.

Caebron

May 7, 2010
what app were you using to listen to music with? and why would you press the power button to change the station?

Spotify. And I wasn't pushing the power button to change the station, I pushed the power button to turn the phone on so that I could change the station. There is not much interaction possible while the screen is turned off ;)

With any luck it wont happen again. Although I dont normally rely on luck much.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Spotify. And I wasn't pushing the power button to change the station, at least directly. I pushed the power button to turn the phone on so that I could change the station. There is not much interaction possible while the screen is turned off ;)

With any luck it wont happen again. Although I dont normally rely on luck much.

it couldve been just a derp as well. if it happens again, post it in this thread.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I Think Google should fix it I have never experienced this sort of issue on other Android devices but it seems very present in Nexus devices especially pandora and sometimes snapchat

ive never experienced it on my n5. i use pandora often, never an issue. are you undervolting by chance? or it could be your setup(what apps you chose to install as well).

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think it's Google's responsibility to fix 3rd party apps.

I think the issue isn't with third party apps its with Android itself

Android OEMS such as Samsung,LG and HTC, Sony have all this fixed
I own a LG G2 and a Samsung Galaxy s4 and both are on 4.4.2 and they always respond when I wake the screen

my Nexus 5 on the other hand 100% stock with the same app's loaded has troubles and requires a reboot atleast twice per week

Top Liked Posts