[Feature Request] SMB Support for Multiple Language External Subs

Search This thread

f3bruary

Feb 9, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
I couldn't find this request on the forums so I'm posting it myself. I would like to see the ability for MX player to detect subtitles based on the language code. Both 3 letter and 2 letter codes would be ideal. E.g. movie.nl.srt or movie.dut.srt (both dutch).

Right now I have multiple subtitles and when I play a video it loads (what seems to be) a random one, but only one and ignores the rest.

Reactions: Fovaxus

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
You can't find the feature request, because the feature already exists!

Settings -> Subtitle -> Preferred subtitle language

Enter the ISO 2 letter code.

f3bruary

Feb 9, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Well it seems to work a bit weird. I'd like it to parse every subtitle in the main folder based upon language code. Right now it just picks one randomly it seems.

Example: (main folder contains movie.mp4, movie.nl.srt and movie.en.srt

Scenario 1: The preferred subtitle language is blank. > It picks a random subtitle.
Scenario 2: The preferred subtitle language is en, nl > It picks English and nothing else.
Scenario 3: The preferred subtitle language is nl, en > It picks English again, and nothing else.
Scenario 4: The preferred subtitle language is nl > It picks Dutch and nothing else.

I'd like it to detect both and give me the choice to pick/switch during playback by pressing the subtitle icon.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Aside from the file name, in the media info of these subtitle files, does the meta data have language flags set?

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Well it seems to work a bit weird. I'd like it to parse every subtitle in the main folder based upon language code. Right now it just picks one randomly it seems.

Scenario 1: The preferred subtitle language is blank. > It picks a random subtitle.
Scenario 2: The preferred subtitle language is en, nl > It picks English and nothing else.
Scenario 3: The preferred subtitle language is nl, en > It picks English again, and nothing else.
Scenario 4: The preferred subtitle language is nl > It picks Dutch and nothing else.

I'd like it to detect both and give me the choice to pick/switch during playback by pressing the subtitle icon.
@bleu8888 could you take a look at MX's behaviour for external language subs?

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011

I've checked again but can't reproduce it.
Did you resume from previous playback?
And then last selected subtitles will be used. You should start over a new video to load correct subtitle.

f3bruary

Feb 9, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
I don't 'resume from playback'. When I tested, I closed MX Player then replayed the movie (from start). When 'Preferred subtitle language' is empty, it usually picks the english one, possibly because of the alphabetical order ('en' comes before 'nl'). Nevertheless, it always only loads 1 subtitle.

This isn't the case with mkv's which have internal subs. These show all available subtitle when I hit the subtitle icon during playback. It even has the proper language name. (English, Dutch, Whatever).

But with external srt files there is alway only 1 loaded and when I click the subtitle icon it shows that 'movie.srt' is loaded (notice it has ommited the language tag from the filename)

I use ES File Explorer to open the files. File location is a local samba share. My device is a Moto Razr I (xt890) and I have the x86 codec pack installed and also using the latest custom codec pack from the forums.

f3bruary

Feb 9, 2013
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
I just tested it by copying 3 files to my internal drive. It seems to work fine ! Even when 'Preferred Subtitles Language' is empty. It detect both (all) languages and parses the language code into the language name (Dutch, English, etc). And I can switch between both during playback.

Is there any way to have this working with samba ? I guess with samba the subtitle gets send like some kind of stream and therefore MX player doesn't have all the info about the language and other folder contents.

I guess my feature request now is to have this working over samba too, at least with ES File Explorer.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
Indeed, currently SMB is done with other apps passing the URI to MX. If something isn't passed, MX will make a predictive request. In the feature requests list, SMB support is already there, and the developer is aware and has plans to implement something.

ungureanub

Sep 25, 2007
Is there any update on this? I know its on the feature request list with HIGH prio but is there for a long time now. Since Es File Explorer become "the fallen king", the SMB capabilities of MX Player are needed more than ever. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn't find this request on the forums so I'm posting it myself. I would like to see the ability for MX player to detect subtitles based on the language code. Both 3 letter and 2 letter codes would be ideal. E.g. movie.nl.srt or movie.dut.srt (both dutch).

Right now I have multiple subtitles and when I play a video it loads (what seems to be) a random one, but only one and ignores the rest.
    f3bruary said:
    File location is a local samba share.
    Just curious, does the issue occur if all the external .srt are stored directly on the phone?