How Nook's video capability? 720 RMVB? MP4?

Search This thread
Feb 28, 2011
I am wondering how good the Nook's video capability. It seems there is no powerful display adaper driver for it?

How about 720p video support?

Thanks

Reactions: Nitro_123

barrist

Apr 25, 2009
Ottawa
720p is probably out of the nook's hardware capabilities.

Also I believe CM7 and HC are currently without hardware acceleration. Best bet is probably Froyo, but haven't tried it.

barrist

Apr 25, 2009
Ottawa
what rom you on?

i only attempted streaming with gmote from my desktop over wifi, and regular xvid avi's were pretty choppy. (running cm7)

bobzdar

Jan 14, 2011
I am wondering how good the Nook's video capability. It seems there is no powerful display adaper driver for it?

Thanks

Your NOOkcolor supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOKcolor will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

So far for me, 854x480 h.264 has provided the best results, mpeg4 has more compression artifacts. There's a profile posted on here somewhere for handbrake to convert to the proper format. VLC convert and stream also transcodes to h.264 if you want to stream from a media server or PC without having to convert the files.

For it to work properly with hardware acceleration, I think only android 2.1 (stock/rooted) and 2.2 have full support.

Reactions: LanceNem

mutant13

Dec 27, 2010
RALEIGH
Rocklayer will play avi videos perfectly, there is however audio sync issues

Sent from my EvO using XDA App

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Rocklayer will play avi videos perfectly, there is however audio sync issues

Sent from my EvO using XDA App

Uh if there's audio sync issues . . . how exactly is it playing videos "perfectly" ???

:confused:

As has been described already, MP4 videos encoded using H.264 baseline at a resolution at or below 854x480 work well in the stock player. Beyond that, 3rd party video players aren't performing well enough for me to accept as "perfect".

I've tried Rockplayer, Vital Player and VPlayer and none of them play raw AVI files (xvid) that I watch from EZTV to my satisfaction. The only thing that works for me is to re-encode them using Handbrake and the Handbrake preset that's available in this forum with a constant quality setting of 22.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
The video part of the video plays fine. The audio part of the video does not.

Don't misunderstand me, I've done my own testing. The point I'm making is if people read such statements and then try to watch videos they'll be disappointed in the fact that there are indeed sync issues.

I'd never describe the playback of a video file with audio sync issues as "perfect". IMO the only way playback would qualify as perfect is if there are no dropped frames and no audio sync issues. That's not the case in any of the solutions i've read on these forums when it comes to AVI or MKV playback.

evilPERSOn2009

Feb 18, 2011
Nook Color's video player performance is underwhelming at the moment in regards to 720p playback. I'm no sure how the Archos 70 could play it just fine.

Last edited:

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Nook Color's video player performance is underwhelming at the moment in regards to 720p playback. I'm no sure how the Archos 70 could play it just fine.

Okay, just to clarify concerning 720p.

Nook Color has a single-core 800mhz processor.

I have found that a single-core 1.4ghz processor is very marginal for 720p - most don't work, even with the most CPU-efficient software decoding ("core").

Generally 1.6-1.8ghz is the minimum required.

So, the only remaining question is whether the graphics chipset will actually support 720p hardware acceleration through a change in the software:
PowerVR's SGX series features pixel, vertex, and geometry shader hardware, supporting OpenGL 2.0 and DirectX 10.1 Shader Model 4.1.

The SGX GPU core is included in several popular systems-on-chips (SoC) used in many portable devices. Apple uses the A4 (manufactured by Samsung) in their iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV. Texas Instruments' OMAP 3 and 4 series SoC's are used in the Nokia N900, Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Motorola Droid/Milestone, Archos 70, and others. Samsung produces the Hummingbird SoC and use it in their Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab, Samsung Wave S8500 and Samsung Wave II S8530 devices.

Intel uses the SGX 535 as its GMA 500 and GMA 600 integrated graphics for their Atom platform.

by the way, the audio chip is awesome:

Description

The TLV320DAC3100 is a low-power, highly integrated, high-performance stereo audio DAC with 24-bit stereo playback and digital audio processing blocks.

The device integrates headphone drivers and speaker drivers. The mono speaker driver can drive loads down to 4 . The TLV320DAC3100 has a suite of built-in processing blocks for digital audio processing. The digital audio data format is programmable to work with popular audio standard protocols (I2S, left/right-justified) in master, slave, DSP, and TDM modes. Bass boost, treble, or EQ can be supported by the programmable digital signal-processing block. An on-chip PLL provides the high-speed clock needed by the digital signal-processing block.

View full Description in Datasheet

Features

Stereo Audio DAC with 95-dB SNR
Supports 8-kHz to 192-kHz Sample Rates
Mono Class-D BTL Speaker Driver (2.5 W Into 4- or 1.6 W Into :cool:
Two Single-Ended Inputs With Mixing and Output Level Control
Stereo Headphone/Lineout and Mono Class-D Speaker Outputs Available
Microphone Bias
Headphone Detection
25 Built-in Digital Audio Processing Blocks (PRB_P1 – PRB_P25) Providing Biquad and FIR Filters, DRC, and 3-D Structures
Digital Mixing Capability
Pin Control or Register Control for Digital-Playback Volume-Control Settings
Digital Sine-Wave Generator for Beeps and Key Clicks (PRB_P25)
Programmable PLL for Flexible Clock Generation
I2S, Left-Justified, Right-Justified, DSP, and TDM Audio Interfaces
I2C Control With Register Auto-Increment
Full Power-Down Control
Power Supplies:
Analog: 2.7 V–3.6 V
Digital Core: 1.65 V–1.95 V
Digital I/O: 1.1 V–3.6 V
Class-D: 2.7 V–5.5 V (SPKVDD ≥ AVDD)

ericc191

Jan 28, 2007
West Fork
Would someone please post the link to setting up handbrake for the best results? Would be very much appreciated!

Sent from my rooted Nook Color

timekeeper

Nov 29, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Are there manual settings that I can program into Baddaboom? I use that for video encoding as it supports CUDA on my graphics card reducing encode times up to 70% at times.

Solandri

Feb 28, 2011
Are there manual settings that I can program into Baddaboom? I use that for video encoding as it supports CUDA on my graphics card reducing encode times up to 70% at times.
In handbrake, the iPod/iPhone profiles produce video files which work fine on the NC (up to 854x480). So if Baddaboom has profiles for those devices, give those a shot. If you want try to tweak the settings manually, the magic configuration in handbrake is:

Set max B-frames to zero
Turn off CABAC entropy coding
Turn off 8x8 transform
Turn off weighted P-frames

Last edited:
Reactions: timekeeper

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
2.3.3 encore cm12

Moboplayer v7. Worked pretty good for me

THANK YOU for that! I've been using rockplayer and having a couple different problems which put me trying different encoding methods last night (different sizes/audio settings, etc, etc.)

Rockplayer is simply inferior to the V7 "Neon" version of MoboPlayer. Very excited about this software find! Thanks!

On the 720p resolution thing:

The Nook's display is 1024x600. 720p video is 1280x720. Playing 720p format videos is overkill. You can convert it down to a smaller size (working on the "best" settings right now in my "Things I Learned" thread.)

Apparently the hardware accelleration only works on up to 854X480 MAX. Anything less than this is scaled up/down to that before run through a hardware scaling up to fullscreen (1024x600).

I find for software playing (for now) 854 width is doable, but 720 width (480p) is nearly the same quality. I'm still playing with the settings, and with the discovery of MoboPlayer, I'm redoing research. I'll be updating my thread with the "best" settings the software player can handle (max 1ghz cpu overclock). Since I'm using a max of 858x480, it should play with hardware accel flawlessly once that is working on CM7 (already works on 2.1/2.2?).

Love this platform.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks

Thanks

Your NOOkcolor supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOKcolor will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

So far for me, 854x480 h.264 has provided the best results, mpeg4 has more compression artifacts. There's a profile posted on here somewhere for handbrake to convert to the proper format. VLC convert and stream also transcodes to h.264 if you want to stream from a media server or PC without having to convert the files.

For it to work properly with hardware acceleration, I think only android 2.1 (stock/rooted) and 2.2 have full support.
    In handbrake, the iPod/iPhone profiles produce video files which work fine on the NC (up to 854x480). So if Baddaboom has profiles for those devices, give those a shot. If you want try to tweak the settings manually, the magic configuration in handbrake is:

Set max B-frames to zero
    Turn off CABAC entropy coding
    Turn off 8x8 transform
    Turn off weighted P-frames