[Q] My phone is junked - unable to drag-up the LockScreen in 1, 2, 3 ... attempts

Search This thread

DanglingPointer

Aug 2, 2011
I have an HTC surround. I am having a problem sliding up the lock-screen. It takes number of attempts to slide up the screen. Sometimes it results in missing the incoming call. It appears to me there is a mechanism (an observer) which negates the touch event if the phone is in pocket while the phone is locked. In my case, even when I am sliding the lock-screen up with my finger, the observer is negating the action and the lock-screen comes back from 20% slide-up. Other than that, the touch-screen is working perfectly fine.

Q:
Is it a software or hardware issue? :confused:
Is there a workaround (something like hacking into the ROM and playing with the drag sensitivity)? :confused:
Should I dump it and consider myself "done with the WP7"? :confused:

P.S.
1. I got this unlocked ATT phone from US and now using it in middle-east.
2. (Not sure but) I have heard that ATT only return the phones with monthly contract.
3. The problem started after 12 days of first use.
4. I tried hard and soft reset, with/without nodo and latest updates. But it’s still the same.

Aug 9, 2010
Calgary
It sounds most likely like it is just an inconsistent/bad touch panel on the hardware. You could attempt to replace it yourself by purchasing another one on eBay, but I doubt that any software fix would be able to fix this behaviour. I have a Samsung Focus WP7 and this never happens, the only time the lock screen comes back down is if you lift your finger before getting to the top. So my best guess is that the touch screen just cuts out before you can get the phone unlocked. Sorry....

AMBernstein

May 30, 2011
I have the same issue. Does anyone have a solution, please!!. I'm in another country, so I can't return it. Have to fix it!

Mar 31, 2006
Nashville
Do you have anyone in the US that you could send it back through? You might also try contacting HTC directly. I believe the phone has a 1 yr warranty on it. At least that's what Asurion told me when they sent me one as a replacement for my old Tilt 2.

tumpy

Dec 17, 2010
DFW
I have no such issue with my sourrond, with mango 7720 and speech for phone accessibility turn on you only have to slide less than a inch to unlock screen...

Last edited:

DFLC56

Feb 26, 2012
Bogotá D.C.
A possible answer

After some researching i found this in one of the forums of HTC
Display Not Working on the HTC Surround
Black/Blank Screen

Verify that the battery is properly installed in the device.

Attempt to power the device on by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds.

If the device won’t power on (also indicated by no LED’s) attempt to charge the device. If there is no response from the device when attached to a charger and power source, treat the issue as a Power/charging issue.

If the device will or is powered on:

Verify that the device is not in hibernate mode by pressing the Power Button once.

Once you have verified that the device is not in hibernate mode, attempt to navigate the device by using the Hardware buttons.

If the display is still black/blank, Soft Reset the device by powering it off and removing the battery for 10 seconds and then reinsert and Power the device back on.

If the screen is still black/blank after the Soft Reset, you will need to perform a Hard Reset.

The hard reset will remove all of the customers’ data and settings and restore the device back to the state that it was in out of the box. Once the Hard Reset is done, the customers’ settings and data CANNOT be recovered. If possible, have the customer back up their data before proceeding with the Hard Reset.

Once the Hard Reset is complete, retest the device.

If the screen is still black/blank, the device will need to be replaced/repaired.

Screen has lines

Is the customer using a custom picture or image as their wallpaper?

Return the Wallpaper settings to one of the defaults on the device by going to Start>All Applications Arrow>Settings>Lock & Wallpaper>Change wallpaper

Is the issue seen when using the default wallpaper on the device?

If so, Soft Reset the device.

If not, advise the customer that the issue is with their custom wallpaper selection and recommend that they discontinue use of it.

Does the issue remain after completing the Soft Reset?

If so, rule out recent 3rd party applications that might have affected it, by removing them

Start>All Applications Arrow>Touch and Hold on an application to be removed and select Uninstall from the Pop-up menu.

Note: Not all applications can be uninstalled from the device.

Once all recent applications have been removed, power cycle the device and retest.

Is the issue seen after removing recent 3rd party applications and performing the Soft Reset?

If so, perform a Hard Reset.

The hard reset will remove all of the customers’ data and settings and restore the device back to the state that it was in out of the box. Once the Hard Reset is done, the customers’ settings and data CANNOT be recovered. If possible, have the customer back up their data before proceeding with the Hard Reset.

Once the Hard Reset and retest the device.

If the issue remains, the device will need to be replaced/repaired.

Unresponsive Touch Screen

Note: The device comes with a Capacitive Touch screen which will not respond to light touches from anything other than the flesh of the finger. Users trying to use their fingernails or any other object should be advised that they need to use the flesh of their fingers (firmly) to navigate the Touch Screen.

Verify that the issue is with the Touch Screen and not the device freezing by attempting to navigate the device using the hardware keys.

If you can navigate the device using the Hardware buttons, continue.

If you cannot navigate the device using the Hardware buttons, this issue needs to be worked using the troubleshooting flow for Device Freeze.

Check the device for a static cling screen protector, if present, remove and retest.

If the issue remains, Soft Reset the device.

Check the device for a carrying case with a magnetic closure; some magnets can interfere with the Touch Screen responsiveness.

If using one of these cases, have the user remove the device from the case and retest.

Ensure that the Charger/Data Cable is the one intended for the device by HTC.

Use of non OEM chargers/data cables can cause your screen to become unresponsive (due to the power being allocated to charging the task, and not the screen).

HTC can only guarantee items such as chargers that have been made, made for and certified by HTC. Our chargers have been tested and passed strenuous quality and safety regulations, and it is recommended you only use HTC chargers with your phone. You must be very careful when using electrical appliances; using products that have not been tested properly or that have not been tested at all could cause your phone to malfunction, or even in extreme cases, could injure you.

If the issue is not resolved by the previous steps, move forward with the Hard Reset.

Once the Hard Reset and Customization process have completed, retest the device.

If the issue remains, the device will need to be replaced/repaired.

Hope someone can give us a better answer, but this is the best at the moment

UPDATE:

People if you want to fix your Phone just put this on the serch engine of XDA Developers "To solve the problem "Screen unresponsive" or "Frozen screen" by yourself", without the brackets.
The post is from "maybeture", and he say is working, if you read the replies, many people said it work
I'll do it to tell you
Tell me If you have luck

Last edited:

juniorkl1

Nov 22, 2008
same problem it must be that it gets unresponsive for a few seconds or even minutes after screen turns off i have to slide it sloooowwwly to get it maybe its some loose cable in there dont know but really waiting for it to be hacked to have android

jesusodin

May 25, 2007
Same problem here with my father's phone. I'm going to replace the screen digitizer tomorrow and see if it works... it only costs 19 bucks so its worth the try...

jo

gentry33

Mar 14, 2011
I've had similar issue with the lock screen at times. The problem is more persistant when the phone is in the pants pocket during hot weather or I am under heavy exersion. I think it may be related to the humidity. I have refrained from storing the phone in this pocket and rarely have any issue.
The phone is not weather resistant, an Otterbox might help but would be rather bulky.

jesusodin

May 25, 2007
Well...

Tried to replace the digitizer and ended up cuting the ribbon cable of the display. I bought the screen and digitizer. Replacing the parts on this cel is not for the weak of heart.
The cel did work without problems afterwards.

lekhwani

I have a surround and lately its misbehaving.

The screen goes off within a second or two if I do not continue touching it. Sometimes it doesn't even stay for a second and goes off immediately. When the screen goes off, I notice the red battery light blinking. Sometimes its just in a reboot boot loop. If i am successful and able to reach videos and start a video, then the video plays fine.

Until the video is playing, the screen doesn't go off. I have tried a hard reset but it didn't help. I am on mango.

What might be the problem?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i heard it was something to do with the drivers...changing from v69 (at&t) to v63(t-mobile)
    anyone know how to do this?