[Q] Rooting after 5.03.651.3 OTA Update Questions

Search This thread

Rare5spd

Sep 3, 2010
Sprint HTC ONE

Background:
Just spent the last 15 hours flashing back to 4.06.651.4 stock rom in order to take the new OTA update 5.03.651.3. Somehow I managed to brick my phone to where it would only stay stuck on the green HTC with white background. The only thing that I was able to get to work was booting into the bootloader and play with fastboot commands. I had CWM recovery installed but could never get adb to discover the phone to sideload a rom onto the memory card. I had no backup, and pretty much had everything wiped and formatted on the phone. I went througt installing back and fourth twrp, cwm, and different stock recoveries, and hours of trying different things to no avail. What got my phone back up and going was at some point changing my cid to 11111111(not sure if this did anything for me), flashing 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, then running Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_4.06.651.4_RUU.zip (ARUWizard.exe) while in fastboot oem rebootRUU mode. Since then I have installed the 4.06.651.9 OTA and then the 5.03.651.3 OTA which is where I stand at this point.

That being said, here's the state of my phone currently:
No Root
CID: 11111111 ( I don't remember what it should say incase I need to warranty the phone)
S-off
bootloader unlocked (did lock it but found out I didn't have to since I was s-off and since then unlocked)
hboot went from 1.56 to 1.57

(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 5.03.651.3
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: FA35RS900979
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid:
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4029mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-1f512bb6
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Now this here are my questions.
Can I gain Root on being on 5.03.651.3?
If I have to reinstall a custom recovery to gain root, would I be able to flash back to the current stock recovery?
Having the new ver. of hboot 1.57, would I be able to downgrade back to 1.56 using the 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, to flash back to stock 4.06.651.4 if I want to factory reset and unroot, s-on, and lock the bootloader if necessary?

And last of all what should the CID show from factory on the new OTA?

Basically what I want is to have factory everything rooted so I can get rid of the bloatware. Nice and simple that's all.

Much appreciated!!!

Reactions: jbart12

StormyNight

Dec 31, 2013
Hyderabad
Sprint HTC ONE

Background:
Just spent the last 15 hours flashing back to 4.06.651.4 stock rom in order to take the new OTA update 5.03.651.3. Somehow I managed to brick my phone to where it would only stay stuck on the green HTC with white background. The only thing that I was able to get to work was booting into the bootloader and play with fastboot commands. I had CWM recovery installed but could never get adb to discover the phone to sideload a rom onto the memory card. I had no backup, and pretty much had everything wiped and formatted on the phone. I went througt installing back and fourth twrp, cwm, and different stock recoveries, and hours of trying different things to no avail. What got my phone back up and going was at some point changing my cid to 11111111(not sure if this did anything for me), flashing 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, then running Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_4.06.651.4_RUU.zip (ARUWizard.exe) while in fastboot oem rebootRUU mode. Since then I have installed the 4.06.651.9 OTA and then the 5.03.651.3 OTA which is where I stand at this point.

No Root
CID: 11111111 ( I don't remember what it should say incase I need to warranty the phone)
S-off
bootloader unlocked (did lock it but found out I didn't have to since I was s-off and since then unlocked)

(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) meid:

1. Can I gain Root on being on 5.03.651.3?
2. If I have to reinstall a custom recovery to gain root, would I be able to flash back to the current stock recovery?
3. Having the new ver. of hboot 1.57, would I be able to downgrade back to 1.56 using the 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, to flash back to stock 4.06.651.4 if I want to factory reset and unroot, s-on, and lock the bootloader if necessary?

Basically what I want is to have factory everything rooted so I can get rid of the bloatware. Nice and simple that's all.

Much appreciated!!!

Alright, so answering your questions:

1. Yes you can get root being on 5.03.651.3.
2. 99% sure you can't, unless you RUU; but if you RUU you completely lose everything including root.
3. Yeah you can if you're S-OFF.

ROOTING INSTRUCTIONS:

http://download.chainfire.eu/450/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.00.zip

Try downloading that file and then flashing it in TWRP. I haven't tested this though as the ROM that I'm using is prerooted.

There's a video by fellow member @zedomax that tells you how to do this, although the SuperSU zip in his video is outdated as the video's made in 2013 :p, so I linked you the latest one above.

EDIT: Oh and the factory CID for the Sprint HTC One is SPCS_001.

Last edited:

Rare5spd

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread and answering all of my questions. I will try rooting when I get home tonight. Thanks again!!!

tws101

Nov 19, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread and answering all of my questions. I will try rooting when I get home tonight. Thanks again!!!

You could also use these commands if you are S-off

fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip recovery.zip
fastboot reboot

this could flash a recovery since you are S-off and flash back your stock recovery... Make sure you include an android-info.txt file...
In the android-info.txt file include this:
modelid: PN0720000
cidnum: SPCS_001
mainver: 1.29.651.10
hbootpreupdate:3

with that txt file and a recovery be it stock or a custom you can do what you like.

The Glow

Feb 9, 2011
Los Angeles

2. 99% sure you can't, unless you RUU; but if you RUU you completely lose everything including root.

In reference to your answer on #2, Why can't you flash back to current stock recovery?

I'm curious to know because, i'm stocked ROM rooted, TRWP (lastest version), s-On. and i've been updating my firmware OTA.

I download the OTA firmware then flashboot stock recovery, reboot phone and perform the update. Once it's done, i then flashboot custom recovery (TWRP) and flash SuperSU to gain root again. The firmware version I"m on now is 5.03.651.3.

So basically, i'm concerned that i won't be able to flash stock recovery whenever the next firmware update occurs, using the method i've just described.

Reactions: StormyNight

StormyNight

Dec 31, 2013
Hyderabad
In reference to your answer on #2, Why can't you flash back to current stock recovery?

I'm curious to know because, i'm stocked ROM rooted, TRWP (lastest version), s-On. and i've been updating my firmware OTA.

I download the OTA firmware then flashboot stock recovery, reboot phone and perform the update. Once it's done, i then flashboot custom recovery (TWRP) and flash SuperSU to gain root again. The firmware version I"m on now is 5.03.651.3.

So basically, i'm concerned that i won't be able to flash stock recovery whenever the next firmware update occurs, using the method i've just described.

Huh, didn't know that. My apologies. By the way, you still be able to do it even when the next firmware update occurs.

AnthonyCool

Mar 10, 2015
Yesterday i tried to update my phone without success
fisrt i tried to install roms but it didnt work
then i tried to update my main version and fail also
then i dont know why i change mi CID number to HTC__001
it started to brick the screen turn gray but i solved it i don´t know how
but i noticed my phone changed to S-ON
i tried many times with many ruus to restore but i can´nt Problems CID and 152 images i locked before doing this
i insert a rom with the same rom 5.03.651.3 success at installing
it started good still the part i have to write language it stayed in HTC logo and then restart
Now im trying to get S-OFF and change my CID to another number but i don´t know wich
and try RUU again but i can not IT gave error and Rumrunner adb didnt find my device
i don´t know what else to do im also 2 days awake :crying:

1. (bootloader) version: 0.5
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.60.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: N/A
    (bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
    (bootloader) serialno: FA358S900105
    (bootloader) imei: 99*****************
    (bootloader) meid: 99***************
    (bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4318mV
    (bootloader) security: on
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-91bb20e1

PS sorry im not a native english speaker. try to understand me
i can understand english very well
THANX ALL OF YOU

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint HTC ONE

Background:

No Root
    S-off

(bootloader) imei:
    (bootloader) meid:

1. Can I gain Root on being on 5.03.651.3?
    2. If I have to reinstall a custom recovery to gain root, would I be able to flash back to the current stock recovery?
    3. Having the new ver. of hboot 1.57, would I be able to downgrade back to 1.56 using the 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, to flash back to stock 4.06.651.4 if I want to factory reset and unroot, s-on, and lock the bootloader if necessary?

Much appreciated!!!

ROOTING INSTRUCTIONS:

http://download.chainfire.eu/450/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.00.zip

Try downloading that file and then flashing it in TWRP. I haven't tested this though as the ROM that I'm using is prerooted.

There's a video by fellow member @zedomax that tells you how to do this, although the SuperSU zip in his video is outdated as the video's made in 2013 :p, so I linked you the latest one above.

EDIT: Oh and the factory CID for the Sprint HTC One is SPCS_001.
    Sprint HTC ONE

Background:

No Root
    S-off

(bootloader) imei:
    (bootloader) meid:

Can I gain Root on being on 5.03.651.3?
    If I have to reinstall a custom recovery to gain root, would I be able to flash back to the current stock recovery?
    Having the new ver. of hboot 1.57, would I be able to downgrade back to 1.56 using the 4.06.651.4_firmware.zip, to flash back to stock 4.06.651.4 if I want to factory reset and unroot, s-on, and lock the bootloader if necessary?

Much appreciated!!!