(BOOTLOADER UNLOCK SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN) Operation: Mosh

Search This thread

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
I believe that we should have this posted on every phones forum because it's not just for us that it will benefit but it would benefit everyone and for me I wouldn't have to wait on a phone to see if it's dev friendly or just another red headed step child.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

I tried. A mod went and removed all of them but one and gave me a ban warning.
I had reposted in ever phones general forum
Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stuckinabox

Dec 6, 2011
Posting on all phones' forums is a bit much, we just need it on the moto section of all sites.

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota
Its cross posting. Pretty much every forum I've been on frowns upon it.

Sent from my Eclipsed and ICS themed X2.

The problem I have with it is it has to do with all moto users. Not just one. It belongs in all moto phone general forums. I guess everyone should pick a phone and post it there. They can't say anything about that since all the posts will be unique

T3HBR1AN

Sep 18, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I was doing some work tonight so I took an opportunity to do some benchmarking. I compared two Tegra 2 devices: the Xoom and the Droid X2. The Xoom is running a Tiamat Katana Kernel and slight debloating. The X2 runs Eclipse v1.3 with the mashup build.prop.

This is the two side by side.

2012-01-07_01-31-14_744.jpg

This is the Xoom. It scored 7195.

2012-01-07_01-31-46_486.jpg

This is the X2. It scored 4880.

2012-01-07_01-31-32_301.jpg

I know this isnt a super scientific method or anything but I think it shows how much these devices are being held back by the locked bootloader.

Last edited:

aceoyame

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2009
I was doing some work tonight so I took an opportunity to do some benchmarking. I compared two Tegra 2 devices: the Xoom and the Droid X2. The Xoom is running a Tiamat Katana Kernel and slight debloating. The X2 runs Eclipse v1.3 with the mashup build.prop.

This is the two side by side.

2012-01-07_01-31-14_744.jpg

This is the Xoom. It scored 7195.

2012-01-07_01-31-46_486.jpg

This is the X2. It scored 4880.

2012-01-07_01-31-32_301.jpg

I know this isnt a super scientific method or anything but I think it shows how much these devices are being held back by the locked bootloader.

Your xoom is also running @ 1.7 ghz lol. Run it at stock and then compare. Not to mention HC has a lot of performance updates. I would say with unlocked bootloader we should expect that 4k score to go to like 5.5k

Edit: Your OC is making a world of a difference. Your score is being held back by CPU, Ram, your SD card. The Graphics performance on the X2 actually scores higher than the xoom (probably due to resolution difference) I would love to see how my barebones v2 compares though.

Last edited:

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Your xoom is also running @ 1.7 ghz lol. Run it at stock and then compare.
Isn't that the point? You can't do that with an X2 because of the locked bootloader. At least not as far as I know. I myself am not all that big on overclocking but given the right kernel the X2 is certainly capable of it. Seems to me that would translate into the X2 being held back from performing like it can because of the locked bootloader. ;)

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

aceoyame

Jul 14, 2009
Isn't that the point? You can't do that with an X2 because of the locked bootloader. At least not as far as I know. I myself am not all that big on overclocking but given the right kernel the X2 is certainly capable of it. Seems to me that would translate into the X2 being held back from performing like it can because of the locked bootloader. ;)

Well I wouldn't say so. Even with 2nd init and aosp we will get a large increase in performance. What I was actually saying is that it looks like our roms are getting near as fast as AOSP at least according to that bench. Of course aosp is going to still bring a nice boost in speed and new features. I am impressed as how far we've taken blur lol.

T3HBR1AN

Sep 18, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

That is the point I was trying to make. The only modification to the xoom is an OC and it still scores that much higher than a decently modified x2. Im sure once the xoom sees a rom the scores will go up.

aceoyame

Jul 14, 2009
That is the point I was trying to make. The only modification to the xoom is an OC and it still scores that much higher than a decently modified x2. Im sure once the xoom sees a rom the scores will go up.

The XOOM has rims I would imagine with it being a google experience device

motcher41

Jul 29, 2011
Perham, Minnesota

+1

Stuckinabox

Dec 6, 2011
Also, sorry to whoever started the petition but the mission statement on change.org could be written a little more professionally. Can it be edited?

Xb0i

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe someone can put this as
an article on slashdot.com in their mobile section

iBolski

As of today (01/07/2012, 4:08 PM ET), the petition has 3,221 signatures. Let's keep it going, even though I doubt it will make a difference, but our voices must be heard by Motorola.

Get to 5,000 signatures and then we might have even more clout. 5,000 possible lost customers? Might not be much for them, but if I were a manager and I saw this petition and knew that potentially thousands of customers might jump ship, I might have to rethink our strategy.

We'll never know unless we actually try.

Of course, even if they don't listen, we have to go through with our "threat" - not get any more Motorola devices. For me, I'm definitely not getting one when my new every two comes up.

phieta

Oct 7, 2011
Hampton Roads, VA
I'd buy an iPhone before I'd buy a Motorola again.

Actually, I take that back. I never would. I'd buy a windows mobile. Forgot about that them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Reposted with permission:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419815

OPERATION: Make Our Selves Heard (#OPMOSH)

DISCLAIMER:
    We here, in the movement of #OPMOSH do not consider this spam, we do not consider this slandering Moto, we simply use this as a method of having our concerns heard. Motorola Mobility Inc. has been a powerful company that has been around for a very long time, and one we hope to see long in the future as well, before and after the Google buyout.

About this movement:
    Motorola Mobility Inc. has become famous for its lies, slanderous ways, and tendency to flat out prove time and time again that it cares not for its customers after they walk out of that store with their Motorola-branded device. Since the early days of Android, post Droid 1, we have sat down and took our locked bootloaders like a man. There came to be a boiling point - and a full-out war was launched on their social media sites. Sound familiar? The same thing that worked with HTC and now with Asus. We received a generic "second half of 2011" timing. Guess what! It's now Q1 2012, and not only have they missed their deadline, but they have IGNORED all bootloader-related questions, given NO official announcement of their plans still being in motion, and thus must have forgotten that we are a core, dedicated community that wishes nothing more than to enjoy the phones we were given. Let's make ourselves heard yet again, turn the heat up, and make Moto (like HTC) get off of their asses and DO SOMETHING. Everyone counts!

So....What can I do?

FIRST OFF, SIGN THE PETITION:
    This is included in the email, so it is crucial that it continues to grow in number.

Then....
    TRY CALLING VERIZON'S EXECUTIVES.
    Make sure before calling that you are very informed about the issue and confident in your position, yet can be quite calm. Do not show any disrespect towards Marie H or the person you call. They are merely the (wo)man-in-the-middle, and you simply need to explain to them your position and back it up with facts. Also, do note that all times are EST.
    Call Marie H. at (412) 266-7756 on Monday - Fridays, 8 am to 5 pm. OR Michelle at (803) 231-1787 on Monday - Fridays, 7 am to 4 pm. OR Call Verizon customer service at *611 or (800) 922-0204 and get to a rep by mashing 0.

This is something you cannot copy-paste, unfortunately. Here are some guidelines that should help you be successful in your endeavor:
    - First off, if you get the voicemail, leave your name, number, and a time you can be contacted in case they wish to follow-up call.
    - Mention that many are filing FCC complaints because this violates Block C guidelines. (Do research in case this is brought into question)
    - Mention that HTC, Motorola, and Samsung have bootloader-unlockable devices on the network right now; (HTC has their 2011 devices, Moto has the Xoom, and Samsung the Galaxy Nexus)
    - Mention that the bootloader being locked does not allow the device to do anything that a laptop that is using a 4G hotspot cannot do even faster/more efficiently, including hogging network resources.
    - Mention that the bootloaders being FORCE locked (as in, not unlockable) does not offer protection from any present viruses or attacks of Android devices.
    - Mention also that unlocking the bootloaders could very well use a system like HTC uses - which stores the IMEI of the device and voids its software warranty indefinitely, making Verizon's warranty services not liable for what a user installs on their device.
    - Close your talk/voicemail by stating the number of signatures on the petition, currently well over 2,500, and saying that this is a widespread concern of many users, that wish Android to be truly open.
    - Say thank you before you hang up, it'll really give off a good impression.

TRY AN FCC COMPLAINT:
    http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
    Select Wireless Telephone > Billing, Service, Privacy, Number Portability and other issues > Online Form. Fill out your information, scroll down, fill out 1 and 2, skip 3 and 4. Then in 5:

- Tell the FCC that your phone’s bootloader was sold to you locked, preventing the regulatory requirement of BLOCK C Devices (MAKE SURE TO MENTION BLOCK C!!!) that "Consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire" - make sure to cite that.

- Also helpful would be dispelling the "Reasonable network management" exclusion. Tell the FCC that Verizon allows tethering of unauthorized devices to 4G LTE services through their mobile hotspots and their paid phone tethering functionality as-is, ones that are more bandwidth-hungry and also permit installing custom operating systems, and have a potential of doing significantly more damage, such as laptops.

If you don't want to write yours up manually, we will have a pre-made step 5 that you can just copy paste soon, hopefully.

TRY EMAILING:
    TO: sanjay.jha@motorola.com, marshall.brown@motorola.com, john.bucher@motorola.com, bill.ogle@motorola.com, john.cipolla@motorola.com, fei.liu@motorola.com, alain.mutricy@motorola.com, dave.rothschild@motorola.com, juergen.stark@motorola.com, jim.wicks@motorola.com

To Whom It May Concern,

The independent communities that you catered to with your announcement earlier last year are very very excited for your bootloader unlock solution. However, the "second half" of 2011 has come and gone quietly; why is it that the public has received no notice that the bootloader unlock solution is still in works? A small-scale petition has made its rounds about the Android community, and has already gained over 2,500 signatures just under 55 hours after being made public: http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2

Clearly, the demand is indeed still quite strong (as can be seen on your social media networks, Facebook and Twitter), and it would be quite reassuring to the communities that not only pay for your devices every upgrade opportunity, but also help develop the Android operating system that you are using on the aforementioned devices, to have an announcement that the bootloader unlock/relock solution is still on track for a timely release. This would also potentially double as reassurance to on-the-fence Galaxy Nexus/HTC smartphone buyers to go with the Motorola Droid RAZR, with its KEVLAR backing, Verizon 4G LTE speed, powerful 1.2 GHz dual core processor, and new bootloader unlock/relock solution instead. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
    A Motorola Mobility Enthusiast.

TRY TWEETING:
    @Motorola - How about those unlocked bootloaders you promised second half of 2011? @HTC cares, do you? http://moto.ly/icsboot

TRY POSTING ON THEIR FACEBOOK WALL:
    @Motorola - I'm a faithful Motorola customer, and I'm starting to have second thoughts. Honor what Android stands for, openness, and give us the bootloader unlock tool that you promised "second-half of 2011". http://moto.ly/icsboot #OPMOSH

MAKE SURE TO SIGN THE PETITION!!
    It is the backbone of this movement. We need as many signatures as possible.

We NEED to be heard to get anywhere. Spread the word to your Facebook friends, your Twitter friends, your Google Talk friends, your favorite Android news site... Spread the word! Bring freedom to the Android ecosystem, like Andy Rubin and Rich Miner intended.
    Thank you SO much for your support. This community is amazing and I know our endeavors will be successful. See you on Moto's Facebook!
    To whom this may concern,

First off, I want to say that I enjoy Motorola phones, but lately, there's been an issue with the promising of an unlocking the bootloaders. Motorola promised that in Q4 of 2011 that all motorola devices that were released in the year 2011 would have unlocked bootloaders upon updates in late Q4 '11. It is now January 2012 and that promise has been broken. Numerous people have emailed about this concern. Needless to say, if this isn't going to be followed through with this is going to be my last motorola phone until this promise is followed through. I also know of at least 3300+ (http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2 ) signatures of people who are agreeing with me on leaving motorola for HTC or Samsung who have followed through and unlocked their bootloaders on Verizon's network.

Android was made to be open-source and highly customized and with the locked bootloaders there is no full customization of my device. I understand that unlocking the bootloader voids my warranty, but I'm okay with that. In an email that was previously answered, I don't want to be protected from whatever motorola has chosen to protect it's customers from, but as of yet, I'm sick of all this locked down business and I believe in Motorola's eyes that almost 4,000 signatures of customers of your devices will leave if this isn't fully dealt with will hurt motorola's business, but that's my opinion on this matter. Like I said above, if this isn't fully unlocked, I'm never going to buy another motorola phone nor support them. I'm sick of being thrown to the side because I'm just a customer, but shouldn't motorola really pay attention to it's customers and fully support them buying the phones? I think so, I think that the only way motorola has succeeded in the android business is through the customer buying their phones and tablets.

Thank you for listening,
    Zachary Robert Griffin

here's the email I sent to motorola just like 5 minutes ago. I may sound harsh in the last bit, but that's what I believe.
    Here's the response I got:

Dear Ivan,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

It has come to our attention via your comments that you have been experiencing a problem with one of our agents’ misinforming you. We thank you for providing your feedback to us by taking the time to write this mail. Additionally, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. This type of service is not typical and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. It is through feedback like yours that we are able to identify and correct issues.

I would like to look into the matter further to understand where the level of support provided needs to be improved, in order to prevent this from occurring again.

We do have multiple support teams focused on different products and aspects of our operations and we would like to specifically review the area you are referring to in your comments. I just forwarded your email to the Escalation Team.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at http://www.motorola.com/

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Romella

Here's how I responded:

Thank you for your response. My issue is not with support. I understand that support can only do so much, especially when it pertains to matters that possibly involve management.

As I've stated in my email, I would like a definitive answer on where Motorola stands in regards to its supporting the Droid X2 phone. This includes unlocking the bootloader and just as important, an Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for the X2.

My issue is, I'm informed that my information will be forwarded to the appropriate parties who handle issues like mine. The problem is, I never hear back from them at all.

So, I'm requesting that I be given the contact information to the appropriate parties who handle issues with unlocking the bootloader and also getting an Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for the X2 as well as where does the support stand for the X2. Has Motorola stopped upgrading it? Will Ice Cream Sandwich never see the light of day on the X2? If not, why?

Again, my issue is not with support. It's with Motorola in general not answering my questions nor giving me the appropriate contact information so I can further pursue my issue in regards to support of the Droid X2.

I would also like it be to known that I have posted my original e-mail message on a high-traffic Android developer forum which is read by thousands daily. Therefore, my plight with Motorola, unlocking the bootloader as well as wanting an ICS upgrade for the X2 is known by thousands of people, and they are in the same boat as I am in regards to the Droid X2.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ivan Samuelson
    Okay, thanks to CadenH for the tip of the emails in the OP. I didn't see those. :eek:

In any case, I took all the email addresses listed in the OP and sent them the following letter which is a compilation and update to my emails with Motorola Support. Not sure if this will get the ball rolling, but hey, it never hurts to try:

To whom it may concern;

Months ago, Motorola stated that they would begin unlocking bootloaders in the last quarter of 2011. It is now 2012 and we the consumers have heard nothing and at this point, haven't seen any action on the part of Motorola. The statement that carriers, like Verizon, won't allow the bootloaders to be unlocked is no longer a valid statement. Apparently, HTC has been able to work it out with Verizon to allow the unlocking of their bootloaders within the continental United States. So, if HTC can do it, why can't Motorola? Please work with HTC to see how they were able to convince Verizon to allow the unlocking of their bootloaders. It's only fair that you attempt to do the same thing. Otherwise, it's a slap in the face of your customers.

As a customer of your products, I am pleading that you please unlock the bootloader of the Motorola X2 and other Android phones. If not, then I regret to say the X2 will be my last Motorola device as I will upgrade to an HTC phone instead. I am not alone in this. There are a majority of X2 owners out there, and other Motorola Android owners, that are tired of the locking down of their phones. We chose Android because of how it is an open system as opposed to an iPhone. If we wanted closed systems, we would have chosen the iPhone instead. I also know of a petition that has well over 4,000 signatures on it asking to have the Motorola bootloaders unlocked. You can read the petition here -> http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2

4,000+ customers who are asking that the bootloaders be unlocked speaks volumes. Please let me restate that number: 4,000 customers. In fact, the majority of these people are ready and willing to no longer purchase Motorola phones. The inaction on Motorola's part gives the appearance that Motorola was just trying to appease many people when it announced the unlocking of bootloaders, probably long enough so that people would hold off going to a different phone and buy the Droid RAZR, only to find that it was also locked. We feel the customers were “fed a line” to keep us quiet. This gives the appearnace that Motorola is looking down on its customers and it leaves a very bad aftertaste for many of us.

I don't know if part of this is Motorola trying to protect its customers. If so, it’s a shame that Motorola feels this way when in reality, it’s treating many of us as children. With all due respect, we are mature enough in being able to handle unlocking our phones. If it voids the warranty, it voids the warranty. You already spell that out up front. We understood that as soon as we activated the phone.

What also has us very upset is it appears that the X2 has been abandoned. No new updates and as far as we can tell, probably no Ice Cream Sandwich. This is a shame as the X2 could have been a very good phone, but for whatever reason, Motorola has decided to abandon it when it's not even a year old. The X2 was released in May, 2011 and already, you have pretty much left those of us who purchased this phone in the dust. This is very poor customer service and pretty much guarantees that I will not purchase another Motorola device, ever.

With the apparent abandonment of the X2, that gives a very compelling reason why we want the bootloader unlocked. If Motorola isn’t going to support the X2 any more, then what is the harm in unlocking the bootloader? If it were to be unlocked, the developer community could keep it relevant for years to come. This is readily apparent with the abundance of custom ROMs that exist for many other phones. But then, maybe that’s what Motorola doesn’t want so people will come and get the latest and greatest phone that comes out.

Also, as customers, we demand a response to this. Why have you not given any update to the status of bootloaders being unlocked on future devices when you announced you would do this by the last quarter of 2011? Why have you kept quiet? Why haven't we, the customers, heard anything from you? We deserve that much considering we have purchased your products.

If your fear of allowing this is because people will "brick" their phones, you must understand that those who do unlock their bootloaders are like me: very adept in technology. Also, there is a huge user base out there that has helped many people unbrick their phones. I have yet to see or read where a person has bricked their phone to the point that they had to get a new one. People who have gotten a new phone have done so not because they bricked it, but because the phone itself was faulty from the factory.

Let it be known that no response from Motorola means that you have abandoned the customers and care only about the bottom line: how much money can you make regardless of taking care of your customers. It's a shame that this appears to be the way Motorola is treating us. Unless we hear otherwise, it's the only way we can accept the inaction of Motorola after it's announcement of unlocking bootloaders and not following through on that announcement.

I await your response to my email. If I do not receive a response within the week, I will take that as my cue to no longer purchase Motorola devices since apparently customers are not a priority and I want to go to a company that delivers on it's promises and doesn't abandon it's customers. HTC is definitely a company I'm looking to go to for my next phone unless Motorola decides to come through on its promise to unlock the bootloaders within the United States.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ivan Samuelson
    You all have lost it. Motorola has kept there word. With its newest razr you can unlock the bootloader. And that's euro version. As moto mention vzw requested there razr lock. So take it up with vzw. And don't get hopes up your old outdated Motorola's will see any unlock solution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Take it to another forum buddy
    We ain't listening to ya
    go enjoy your fully customizable nexus and let US handle our business with moto and VZW

Now if u wanna sign the petition then great and thank you
    Just don't sit there and say our efforts are futile because its VZW fault.
    We know the blame game spiel and this is going out to both VZW AND moto.
    Thanks for ur time