[Q] Galaxy Note 2 Battery Drain

Search This thread

Varunmahadev

Nov 13, 2012
Recently my Galaxy Note 2 has started giving me battery trouble. Till about 10 days ago it used to give me approximately 18-20 hrs battery life on moderate use. Now for some reason i get only 8-9 hrs max without any usage. It just shows a high usage of media and the phone never goes to sleep mode. After reading a few threads i tried the following:

> I removed the external sd card and wiped it.
Result: The phone was back to normal without the external sd card. As soon as i put it back. It kept rescanning for no reason. Even though there was nothing on it. I know for a fact that the sd card isnt spoilt or even non compatible, as it was working fine for so many months. It works fine on my other phones too.

I'm attaching the log file of Better battery stats app as i was told it would be useful in answering my query. Could someone please solve this problem for me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-10-11-11-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-10-11-11-03.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 634
  • logcat-2013-01-12_231846380.pdf
    359.7 KB · Views: 38

unholygid

Apr 15, 2009
Media scan bug is pretty common on jelly bean. Unfortunately the only fix I have been using is using mediascan root from play store. If you are rooted then download media scan root.

Only side effect is that if you have a new media file.. You need to re enable it. But all it takes is just a click and a reboot.

Check it out and I'm sure itll fix the media scan bug.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

jayjiv

Nov 16, 2011
same problem

hey i am havin de exact same problem on my note 2 ... how did u rectify it ???

thank u

unholygid

Apr 15, 2009
I flashed back to 4.1.1 and noticed media scan running duration is much shorter on 4.1.1

Which rom are u using?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda premium

SenK9

Nov 29, 2009
It might be a corrupt MP3 on the card. Happened to me, even though the music played OK. I ran MP3 validator (Windows app) and it fixed it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

barker24

Apr 15, 2010
Note II 16GB, stock ROM, not rooted.

I had exactly the same problem - overnight my battery life dropped from 2 days to less than 12 hrs. Mounting the SD card on my pc a msg popped up that the card was corrupt, I ran the scan and fix, put the card back in the phone and it's working perfectly again. I was very surprised but not unhappy.

This is the second card, the first (Kingston 32GB) was killed after just 8 months, 4 months later the replacement card was corrupted. All the other Kingston cards I've bought for myself and my family work perfectly, some are many years old. Could it be a Samsung problem? After using SD cards in Windows phones for the last 10 years and finding them very reliable, having one card irreparably damaged and another corrupted on the same phone in 12 months makes me wonder if it's more than a coincidence.

S

sawdoctor

I've been having the media server drain for about 3 weeks now. I've used mp3 checker and removed any bad mp3s I've also tried Drketans media scanner disabler and still have the drain. It's about 10% if my battery per day and about 2 1/2 hours phone awake. Anyone any ideas?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app