[APP] [2.2+] Should I Wear Pants?

Search This thread

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
"Should I Wear Pants?" is a novelty weather app that takes your location, gender, and temperature preferences, retrieves your local weather, and lays out for you what to wear.

In addition to the novelty, it really does save me time in the morning - I was surprised, we conceived it as just a fun little novelty thing. Previously, I'd go to the office, turn on my computer, go online to look up the weather, and infer what to wear; now, I no longer need to even enter my office in the morning. I suppose this is mitigated if you have a decent weather app already, but I never really found one I liked that much. Those also don't tell you what to wear :)

We tried to make the default temperature preferences sane, but they're easy to adjust.

Link:
Free version

Basic features:
  • Jacket versus T-shirt
  • Pants versus shorts
  • Temperature preferences for all available slots
  • Temperature units preference - Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Kelvin
  • Optionally, fun holiday outfits on major holidays (US holidays, that is - for those outside the US, we're open to adding outfits for your holidays, we just don't have them yet)

Premium features (in addition to everything in the free version):
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Gloves
  • Umbrella
  • Shoes versus flip-flops
  • Swagger mode - this, like Swagger Mode in AOKP, is a surprise
  • "I wear my sunglasses at night" mode - this is fairly self-explanatory
  • This isn't exactly a feature, but the premium version also doesn't have advertisements; the free version does

Upcoming features (in approximately the order we're going to do them):
  • Solar position during the day - a graphical indicator of the sun's position
  • Long-sleeve shirts - these would be used at some point between T shirts and jackets; possibly have a setting to control what point that would be
  • A dew point setting for flip-flops - nobody likes walking around in cold, wet grass with open footwear
  • A setting to weight the average we take between the low and high temperatures for the Today and Tomorrow tabs
  • Some live wallpapers with weather and/or wardrobe information
  • Home screen widgets - one per "slot" from the main screen

Last edited:
Reactions: mosta00 and alkspo

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Changelog:
  • 1.5.0 - 2012-12-20
    • Both versions
      • Added the capability for users to specify their location. To do this:
        • Open the preferences screen
        • Under "ABOUT YOU", uncheck "Use Current Location"
        • The "Location" option will be made available - open this to set your location.
        • Refer to the Help topic called "Specifying Your Location" for more information on supported formats, etc.
      • Added Christmas outfits; these will run from the 23rd to the 27th if you're in Calendar Fun mode.
      • Fixed a number of small issues with location and weather detection.
        • This was made possible by some new automated testing; we now have approximately 275 cities around the world verified as working and accurate, while ensuring no regressions occurred for the common case when fixing the edge cases.
        • Note that this doesn't cover the entire world; thus far, we have the Americas, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand covered. We are working to add coverage to the rest of the world.
  • 1.4.0 - 2012-12-03
    • Both versions
      • Added a new system for reporting to the user when problems occur. This will make it significantly more clear what's happening when something goes wrong, and adds an easy way to E-mail a problem report to us.
  • 1.3.5 - 2012-11-27
    • Both versions
      • Fixed an issue in holiday calculation that was causing the entire month after a given holiday to still be considered that holiday. This was presenting itself with the rest of November after Thanksgiving still displaying holiday clothing when Calendar Fun mode was on.
      • Fixed an issue with icon sizing causing the full 512x512 icon to be displayed in certain positions, in certain ROMs. In particular, we noticed it when a lock-screen shortcut to the app was created in CM10.
  • 1.3.4 - 2012-11-22
    • Both versions
      • Updated the "Geocoder fail :(" error message to be a bit more descriptive and helpful.
  • 1.3.3 - 2012-11-18
    • Both versions
      • Added an American Thanksgiving outfit; this includes a T shirt with a roast turkey on it, and will be shown on Thanksgiving and the preceding day
      • Extended Halloween outfits to also include the preceding day
    • Premium version
      • The Thanksgiving outfit also includes oven mitts in place of gloves, a colonial pilgrim-style hat for men, and a colonial style bonnet for women
  • 1.3.2 - 2012-11-12
    • Both versions
      • Changed the landscape layout to make better use of all the horizontal screen real estate
  • 1.3.1 - 2012-11-07
    • Both versions
      • Finally put the empty wardrobe issue to bed for good, we hope.
    • Free version
      • Fixed an issue causing free-version-capable slots to be marked as premium-only for approximately half of users (by our estimate).
  • 1.3.0 - 2012-11-06
    • Both versions
      • Fixed yet another issue that was causing empty wardrobes, in particular on screen orientation change.
      • Laid the scaffolding for the sun position feature.
  • 1.2.2 - 2012-11-02
    • Both versions
      • Fixed another issue that was causing empty wardrobes.
  • 1.2.1 - 2012-10-30
    • Premium version
      • Added an individual temperature setting for hats; previously, the hat was enabled any time the jacket was enabled.
  • 1.2.0 - 2012-10-29
    • Both versions
      • Fixed an issue causing empty wardrobes.
      • Added "Calendar Fun" mode - this gives fun outfits on holidays.
    • Free version
      • On Halloween, the T shirt will have a skeleton on it.
    • Premium version
      • The Halloween outfit also consists of a jack-o-lantern bucket in place of the umbrella, a pumpkin beanie for men, and a witch's hat for women.
  • 1.1.2 - 2012-10-27
    • Both versions
      • Added an option to set preferred temperature units - Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Kelvin.
      • Added the "Special thanks" page to the help section.
    • Premium version
      • Added Swagger mode.
      • Added "I wear my sunglasses at night" mode.
  • 1.1.1 - 2012-10-25
    • Both versions
      • Fixed some minor issues around interface scaling.
  • 1.1.0 - 2012-10-24
    • Both versions
      • Added a help section to explain and work around common issues.
  • 1.0 - 2012-10-22
    • Initial app release

Last edited:

tekkamanendless

Nov 9, 2012
Love this app!

Great job! I must say that I've been using this app since it came out on the Play store, and it's been great. I used to check weather.com every morning, and I would have to check the daily forecast and click through three pages of "hourly" weather predictions in order to figure out two things: (1) did I need to wear pants, and (2) should I wear a jacket--when I rode my bike in to work in the morning.

Now, when I wake up, I just open up Should I Wear Pants?, check "Now" and "Today", and wear what it says. I've already customized it for my style, and now that it's getting colder out, it's been critical to know when to man-up and drive in, and when to put on my gloves and ride my bike.

Reactions: Floppie7th

willyfri

Jul 14, 2010
Useful and fun app

I was one of the first to download this app and I must say that it is very useful. I always use to go on websites on my computer or use some other apps (none of which I really liked) to get the weather for the day and still I had to figure out what to wear. This app not only pulls the weather for the location you currently are, it also (thanks to preferences and customization within the app) suggests to you what to wear.

When I frist got it, there were a few bugs, but since the original download, I have downloaded a few new updates (some with pretty fun features such as holidy mode, and swagger mode) that have fixed any bugs that I encountered.

I would overall rate the app a 5/5 for its purpose and the fun things you can do with it as well.

P.S. Listen to what the app tells you if you have your preferences right. I was recently in Atlanta which is a bit warmer than where I am from (the North East) and I wore jeans one day which is not what the app told me to wear based on my suggestions. Lets just say I was sweating a tad bit that dat. The app really works and is helpful.

Definitely reccommended!

Last edited:

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Just pushed an update that adds American Thanksgiving outfits. These will be run on Thanksgiving and the preceding Wednesday. The outfits include roast turkey designs on the T shirts, oven mitts in place of the gloves, colonial pilgrim style hats for men, and colonial style bonnets for women.

Enjoy, and as always, feedback welcome!

BinaryEclipse

Oct 23, 2012
I just saw the description and ran straight for the paid one! Amazing idea! Can`t wait to play with it.
One thing I can tell is missing right away, though.. WIDGET! Please make a widget for this. it`d be awesome to switch to my weather page, and see what I should wear right away without needing an app

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
I just saw the description and ran straight for the paid one! Amazing idea! Can`t wait to play with it.
One thing I can tell is missing right away, though.. WIDGET! Please make a widget for this. it`d be awesome to switch to my weather page, and see what I should wear right away without needing an app

That's one of the next things we're releasing :) I don't think it's going to make it into the 1.4 release, which is going to have a significant overhaul of the settings and an addition of several other items of clothing to each slot. I'm in the process of learning how to make home screen widgets, though - we're currently thinking one widget per slot.

If you have a weather page, though, one widget per slot probably won't work - in fact I'd imagine every slot wouldn't even fit on one dedicated page. I hadn't considered this use case - I'm thinking we'll also make a large widget that contains the whole thing.

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Pushed an update yesterday that makes the "Geocoder fail :(" error message a bit more clear. People who have gotten this error message - please check out our help screen under the "Geocoder" section.

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Pushed an update yesterday that fixes a problem with our holiday calculation - basically, every day of November that occurred after Thanksgiving was still considered Thanksgiving for the purpose of the outfit. We also fixed icon sizing - I noticed that our 512x512 icon was being displayed at full size when I put it in a lock-screen shortcut in CM10.

Floppie7th

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Just pushed yet another update - this one adds a new system for reporting problems to you when something bad happens. This will make it significantly more clear what's going wrong when problems occur - it makes it easier to fix problems yourself, while at the same time providing a very easy way to E-mail a report of the problem(s) to us for assistance.

Edit: Also, we would really love some feedback on this! And in addition, if anybody in this thread is someone who 1-starred the app because things weren't working, I implore you to re-evaluate the app now that we've (A) solved the major issues and (B) provided this great new error reporting system.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Should I Wear Pants?" is a novelty weather app that takes your location, gender, and temperature preferences, retrieves your local weather, and lays out for you what to wear.

In addition to the novelty, it really does save me time in the morning - I was surprised, we conceived it as just a fun little novelty thing. Previously, I'd go to the office, turn on my computer, go online to look up the weather, and infer what to wear; now, I no longer need to even enter my office in the morning. I suppose this is mitigated if you have a decent weather app already, but I never really found one I liked that much. Those also don't tell you what to wear :)

We tried to make the default temperature preferences sane, but they're easy to adjust.

Link:
    Free version

Basic features:
    • Jacket versus T-shirt
    • Pants versus shorts
    • Temperature preferences for all available slots
    • Temperature units preference - Fahrenheit, Celsius, and Kelvin
    • Optionally, fun holiday outfits on major holidays (US holidays, that is - for those outside the US, we're open to adding outfits for your holidays, we just don't have them yet)

Premium features (in addition to everything in the free version):
    • Sunglasses
    • Hat
    • Gloves
    • Umbrella
    • Shoes versus flip-flops
    • Swagger mode - this, like Swagger Mode in AOKP, is a surprise
    • "I wear my sunglasses at night" mode - this is fairly self-explanatory
    • This isn't exactly a feature, but the premium version also doesn't have advertisements; the free version does

Upcoming features (in approximately the order we're going to do them):
    • Solar position during the day - a graphical indicator of the sun's position
    • Long-sleeve shirts - these would be used at some point between T shirts and jackets; possibly have a setting to control what point that would be
    • A dew point setting for flip-flops - nobody likes walking around in cold, wet grass with open footwear
    • A setting to weight the average we take between the low and high temperatures for the Today and Tomorrow tabs
    • Some live wallpapers with weather and/or wardrobe information
    • Home screen widgets - one per "slot" from the main screen
    Love this app!

Great job! I must say that I've been using this app since it came out on the Play store, and it's been great. I used to check weather.com every morning, and I would have to check the daily forecast and click through three pages of "hourly" weather predictions in order to figure out two things: (1) did I need to wear pants, and (2) should I wear a jacket--when I rode my bike in to work in the morning.

Now, when I wake up, I just open up Should I Wear Pants?, check "Now" and "Today", and wear what it says. I've already customized it for my style, and now that it's getting colder out, it's been critical to know when to man-up and drive in, and when to put on my gloves and ride my bike.
    Useful and fun app

I was one of the first to download this app and I must say that it is very useful. I always use to go on websites on my computer or use some other apps (none of which I really liked) to get the weather for the day and still I had to figure out what to wear. This app not only pulls the weather for the location you currently are, it also (thanks to preferences and customization within the app) suggests to you what to wear.

When I frist got it, there were a few bugs, but since the original download, I have downloaded a few new updates (some with pretty fun features such as holidy mode, and swagger mode) that have fixed any bugs that I encountered.

I would overall rate the app a 5/5 for its purpose and the fun things you can do with it as well.

P.S. Listen to what the app tells you if you have your preferences right. I was recently in Atlanta which is a bit warmer than where I am from (the North East) and I wore jeans one day which is not what the app told me to wear based on my suggestions. Lets just say I was sweating a tad bit that dat. The app really works and is helpful.

Definitely reccommended!
    D
    DinoSoup
    This is just like Swackett! I loved that on my Mac. THANKS. :)