SPLs for DREA100 & DREA110 (Orig, Eng, Hard) [updated 2009-05-12]

Search This thread
K

korndub

so if im not a developer there is no real benefit for me to upgrade to this version?
darek,

this is only an engineering boot loader, it does not effect the end user functionality. if you are not interested in building your own OS versions, you wouldnt need to update.

Disconn3ct

Nov 5, 2008
Washington, DC
andblogs.net
darek,

this is only an engineering boot loader, it does not effect the end user functionality. if you are not interested in building your own OS versions, you wouldnt need to update.

If you want to someday flash someone else's OS version, then you want this bootloader. (Remember, until they get evil and add the SPL bootloader to an update, you can even accept tmob updates and still recover if you have this bootloader.)

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
In addition to, not instead of.

It lets you (safely) work on the kernel or platform. That is all really.

Yeah the title kind of implies that the modified RC30 is replaced by the new bootloader when in reality they are on completely separate and independent layers. The title should really say "convert the bootloader of your modified firmware G1 to the bootloader of a Dev Phone 1", but I reckon that would be a bit too long.

Thanks to Disconnect and JF for the file and dreamkill for the dump :D I'm wondering if htc might consider this file copyright intellectual property though. :confused:

veekay

May 15, 2008
Forgive the stupid noobie question, but I have yet to do anything with my G1 and was in the process of trying to get it registered via the no sim/data plan and was wondering if I was to flash this bootloader what the proper order (register/modded rc30/bootloader/etc) would be? The phone seems to be a RC29, but I don't want to flash up to something else that would prohibit me from flashing to this.

Disconn3ct

Nov 5, 2008
Washington, DC
andblogs.net
Yeah the title kind of implies that the modified RC30 is replaced by the new bootloader when in reality they are on completely separate and independent layers. The title should really say "convert the bootloader of your modified firmware G1 to the bootloader of a Dev Phone 1", but I reckon that would be a bit too long.

Thanks to Disconnect and JF for the file and dreamkill for the dump :D I'm wondering if htc might consider this file copyright intellectual property though. :confused:

I didn't come up with the unfortunate title.. :( As far as IP, maybe. I don't think they've cared in the past on other devices, so..

(I also wasn't real wild about moving the discussion away from the primary site, but whatever. The forum email alerts are intermittant and its constantly marking threads as seen that I never opened, so your mileage may and will seriously vary. Plus, updated versions will be at that site, not here..)

speoples20

Jun 10, 2007
As I've been finding with the G1 and flashing, even if you dont think you'll need it flash it anyway because you never know it could be locked later and you cant go back.

Disconn3ct

Nov 5, 2008
Washington, DC
andblogs.net
um... no.

Post pulled since the threadstarter is much more correct now. Suffice it to say there were a bunch of mistakes and flat wrongness before, its better now. (So some of the earlier posts might not make sense anymore..)

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Again, no. Although this is probably close enough for gov't work (and is not made especially clear at the source) but it will not make it an actual engineering phone - for one thing, it has google apps. And for another, it will still pull down OTA updates and - potentially - tmob could include the SPL and undo this. I really doubt an engineering phone will do that :)

iirc Dianne Hackborn and JBQ spoke a little about how the OTA update process on G1s work. The process seems to initiate with a service on G1 that checks Google's servers for availability of update info. I don't believe that Tmo or Google is specifically pushing down updates to G1s or that DP1s are different in any way from a hardware perspective. Therefore, a G1 loaded with the image of a DP1 should behave like a DP1, correct? And vice versa a DP1 with the Android from a G1 will start pulling OTA updates and such.

True T-Mob could include the spl in a future update. It should be pretty easy to detect it though? Just see what is referenced in the update-script.

Edit: Rewrote the original post to better attribute Disconn3ct and correct some statements. Sorry for causing any unnecessary confusion!

Last edited:

uta8111

Jul 10, 2006
What is the proper procedure to exit the bootloader screen (rainbow or engineering) after it has been attained? Thanks.

start_developing

Nov 10, 2008
The update works with modified RC8 as well right?

-

It works yeah. But it would be interesting how to leave the bootloader.

-

Update:

To leave the boot loader press SEND-MENU-END. (green-MENU-red)

Last edited:

cmavr8

Jun 9, 2005
Forgive the stupid noobie question, but I have yet to do anything with my G1 and was in the process of trying to get it registered via the no sim/data plan and was wondering if I was to flash this bootloader what the proper order (register/modded rc30/bootloader/etc) would be? The phone seems to be a RC29, but I don't want to flash up to something else that would prohibit me from flashing to this.

Why don't you register it first? Then you can install a modded recovery image, and then the moddified RC30. You should also do the rename trick to prevent your phone from getting the official OTA RC30 and locking up root...

(Look at my signature for registering without data plan)

uta8111

Jul 10, 2006
SEND-MENU-END ... Apparenty the only 3 button combo I didn't try. Thanks.

Good thing you can't burn in LCD screens (of course I ultimately terminated by
popping the battery -- carefully).

bhang

Aug 19, 2006
megalopolis
(Remember, until they get evil and add the SPL bootloader to an update, you can even accept tmob updates and still recover if you have this bootloader.)

Is this confirmed has somebody flashed the boatloader, forced by sd to official RC30 then back to a JF RC30?
I read *hempas* (maybe I got the nick wron it was a post in the first page or 2 of this post and he eluded to the fact that this was true, but I'd like confermation, messing with any bootloader is sketchy, thats the recovery parachute, there is no backup chute, you pooch a boot loader you pooch a device, unless you have another way in (ie jtag) but most of the time if sumthin goes fishy during a bootloader flash and BRICK BRICK BRICK

A F* it im charging up the batt so I'll do it anyway, I flash more than a few boot loaders and countless roms on a variety of devices so it should be fine, just top off the battery, make sure nuthin is gonna stop the update from finishing and your golden, and they say its quick which is good less time for stuff to go bad

this would mean just get this on a locked g1 and whammo, "let my people go" every g1 could be rooted.

disclaimer.

Im not a coder, I have the ability to only smoke and theorize on stuff and thats all this is
and i DID not SLEEP AT A HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS or anything like that

bhang

Last edited:

jashsu

Nov 15, 2008
Is this confirmed has somebody flashed the boatloader, forced by sd to official RC30 then back to a JF RC30?

this would mean just get this on a locked g1 and whammo, "let my people go" every g1 could be rooted.

Using fastboot tool and engineering spl you can write arbitrary data to the system, boot, and recovery partitions, so presumably yes even if you had OTA RC30 installed, as long as you had engineering spl, you could flash to Mod RC30.

However, there's no way currently to get the engineering spl onto a G1 that is running a combination of OTA RC30, OTA recovery partition and original spl. The updater that flashes the spl is signed with test keys, not the secret keys used by the OTA recovery partition.

Edit: Take a look at Disconn3ct's fastboot tutorial here. There are some precompiled fastboot binaries in this xda-dev thread. This script by infernix seems useful too.

Last edited:

bhang

Aug 19, 2006
megalopolis
thanx

ok cool got it, I know its not possible on a stock RC30 rom to swap out the htc to the dev bloader, but thanks for the confermation and info, I love this place, in a non homo way...

this could be insurance against a tmob update signed with the test keys as we could recover, I'd suggest this for anybody who can follow the directions and double check the file size of the update to make sure you got it and its in good shape

bhang

Last edited:

Datruesurfer

Oct 26, 2008
I just flashed my G1 with this and it worked perfectly. I also was able to get the "Serial0" displayed in the middle of the screen to change to "FASTBOOT" by pressing some combination of home+back(cant seem to replicate it though...). I know fastboot is a documented protocol on the android git repository. This means we are close to flashing our own images!

TheDudeOfLife

Jul 21, 2008
Chicago
thedudesandroid.com
I just flashed my G1 with this and it worked perfectly. I also was able to get the "Serial0" displayed in the middle of the screen to change to "FASTBOOT" by pressing some combination of home+back(cant seem to replicate it though...). I know fastboot is a documented protocol on the android git repository. This means we are close to flashing our own images!

Here is where Disconnect has a great working README for fastboot.
http://www.gotontheinter.net/node/8

This dev bootloader with a bad img file can be a loaded grenade if not handled properly, but it will certainly allow you to flash a custom image without the need for having it signed by google....ala custom roms.