[Q] Xperia T Wi-Fi problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Dutchmann

Oct 9, 2012
I just got an Sony Xperia T,

now I was trying to connect is to my router with the 5ghz-band, but the Xperia T can't find the network,
so then manually added the network, inserterd password, but then it says that the network isn't within reach,
but i'm sitting next to the router, the 2.4ghz-band works fine, and sony confirms that the phone should work with
the 5ghz-band in the white paper of the phone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
BTW, my router is a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band.

Last edited:

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
I just got an Sony Xperia T,

now I was trying to connect is to my router with the 5ghz-band, but the Xperia T can't find the network,
so then manually added the network, inserterd password, but then it says that the network isn't within reach,
but i'm sitting next to the router, the 2.4ghz-band works fine, and sony confirms that the phone should work with
the 5ghz-band in the white paper of the phone. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
BTW, my router is a Netgear WNDR3700 Dual Band.

On your router have you set it to dual band as a lot of the time they have it defaulted to 2.4 b/g so you'd need to change it to auto or whatever option allows all. On my Linksys it says 2.4 and 5 as an option in the dropdown. That would be the only reason I can think of. Have you tried with any other device to connect to your 5ghz network?

papped

Jan 28, 2007
Likely a router compatibility issue. I can connect to a Linksys e4200 on 5ghz with no problems

Sent from my Xperia T

LadFromWales85

Feb 3, 2005
Wales, UK Earth, The Universe
My Xperia T refuses to connect to my WiFi AP. It's only 2.4GHz, but according to the logs on the AP, it isn't even trying. On the phone side I very briefly see "Connecting" or similar on the AP list, then it reverts to Saved.

Log on phone is filled with entries like this:
Code:
I/wpa_supplicant(  565): wlan0: Trying to associate with 00:0c:42:XX:XX:XX (SSID='LFWnet' freq=2412 MHz)
I/wpa_supplicant(  565): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=00:0c:42:XX:XX:XX status_code=1

MAC's partially XX'd

This happened on the stock Vodafone ROM, and still occurs on the Generic UK posted in General. I have tried WPA and WPA2, TKIP and AES, different channels, disabling N etc etc, still the same :(

Tried soft/hard reboots, wipes etc, nothing. It has connected to other public and protected AP's fine.

Am gutted as changing my AP to work around this problem is a no-go. Not had any problems with various other laptops and phones, including other SE/Xperia devices.

emuX

Sep 2, 2009
This happened on the stock Vodafone ROM, and still occurs on the Generic UK posted in General. I have tried WPA and WPA2, TKIP and AES, different channels, disabling N etc etc, still the same :(

Tried soft/hard reboots, wipes etc, nothing. It has connected to other public and protected AP's fine.

Am gutted as changing my AP to work around this problem is a no-go. Not had any problems with various other laptops and phones, including other SE/Xperia devices.

I'm on generic UK rom and using a BT Home Hub without any problems. I've also got my old dLink wireless n router I use as a print server and it works fine with that too. My brother has a Sky router (Netgear I think) and that works fine.

I think you must be unlucky. :(

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Is your SSID published? Have you tried turning off all security on the router to see if you can connect then? (obviously I'm not suggesting you leave it unsecured but it is something to try.)

Also, posting your router details may give you an idea if others have been successful with that router before you splash any cash on a new one.

spflo

Nov 19, 2007
Hi, my Xperia T also is not able to connect with my e4200 5 GHz WiFi. My Laptop and a Samsung Phone works without any problems... I read (sorry I don´t remember the forum link) Sony did not enable the 5 GHz frequency because of driver issues. But if it works on some phones, maybe it´s a provider specific issue like the permanent bootloader lock?

airchie

Aug 11, 2009
London
Might be worth updating the firmware of your router? :)

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

Dutchmann

Oct 9, 2012
I think I found the problem, the 5ghz band of my router doesn't have much range appearently, when i'm trying to find the 5ghz band outside of my house, i can't find it, I can only find it when i'm in my room, that's where the router stands, but the 2.4 ghz band has a much better range, I can connect to is almost 20-30 meters outside of my house. I'm wondering when Netgear is coming out with an update for my router, hopefully that will solve the problem, or maybe it will be solved when the Xperia T gets an update to Jelly Bean.

pechnatunk

Dec 10, 2012
I think I found the problem, the 5ghz band of my router doesn't have much range appearently, when i'm trying to find the 5ghz band outside of my house, i can't find it, I can only find it when i'm in my room, that's where the router stands, but the 2.4 ghz band has a much better range, I can connect to is almost 20-30 meters outside of my house. I'm wondering when Netgear is coming out with an update for my router, hopefully that will solve the problem, or maybe it will be solved when the Xperia T gets an update to Jelly Bean.

Hi there,
I've just bought the Xperia T and I'm pretty disappointed I can't use my home wifi.
I'm having exactly the same problem - I can see my connection and connect (sometimes) but it is a very poor connection, then after a minute or says "Not in range". If I go outside (which is actually closer to where the modem is) I can get data at an acceptable speed.

Sorry I'm such a noob but can you explain to me where the limitation lies and how I might fix it. Every other device used in the house works - even an old iphone 3gs - I'm surprised Sony's newest phone hasn't implemented technology that must have been in use for years.
Or if it is the modem - any ideas on how to change it.
Sorry - can't give you details - the modem is locked in the landlords garage - so I can't see what make it is.

Thanks for helping a noob.

Skylegend

Oct 2, 2012
Hsinchu
I have faced the same problem with my TX when connecting to my AP.
I think there is WIFI problem in receiving the WIFI signal of security mode WPA2/WPA.
You can change the WIFI security mode to WEP or No security.
My device can connect the WEP mode WIFI.
Hope you can solve the problem!

Hi there,
I've just bought the Xperia T and I'm pretty disappointed I can't use my home wifi.
I'm having exactly the same problem - I can see my connection and connect (sometimes) but it is a very poor connection, then after a minute or says "Not in range". If I go outside (which is actually closer to where the modem is) I can get data at an acceptable speed.

Sorry I'm such a noob but can you explain to me where the limitation lies and how I might fix it. Every other device used in the house works - even an old iphone 3gs - I'm surprised Sony's newest phone hasn't implemented technology that must have been in use for years.
Or if it is the modem - any ideas on how to change it.
Sorry - can't give you details - the modem is locked in the landlords garage - so I can't see what make it is.

Thanks for helping a noob.

Last edited:

pechnatunk

Dec 10, 2012
I have faced the same problem with my TX when connecting to my AP.
I think there is WIFI problem in receiving the WIFI signal of security mode WPA2/WPA.
You can change the WIFI security mode to WEP or No security.
My device can connect the WEP mode WIFI.
Hope you can solve the problem!

Hmmm, that's strange - my modem is set to WEP and it's not really a connection problem but a signal strength problem. But like I said - no other device has this issue. It is hard to test - right now I'm accessing this from a cloud connection which is average compared to another I used this morning, though much better than at home. But I don't know how close I am to the transmitter right now.

pechnatunk

Dec 10, 2012
Hello again,
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this:
So my Xperia T can connect and use the wifi in my house fine IF I am within 2-3 metres of my router, which has the following settings -

O2 Wireless Box, model - TG585v7
Software release - 8.2.7.7
Boot loader 1.0.0

Interface Type: 802.11b/g
Band: 2.4G Hz (This unfortunately cannot be changed)
It is currently set to WEP security but when I changed to WPA-2 there was still no change - could only connect when a couple of metres away.

Also even when holding my phone 10cm away from the router I still only get a "Good" connection. So I started to think it must be my phone that is faulty - I've been to coffee shops and picked up the free Cloud wifi ok, though one kept dropping in and out. And I have been into mobile phone shops testing their wifi and it connects.
But yesterday I went to Carphone Warehouse and compared to one of their demo Xperia T phones - the demo was connected to their wifi fine yet my phone could not even "see" their connection - I was sure it was my phone.
But now I'm really confused - today I went to a different Carphone warehouse - there was no demo phone but I picked up their signal and the quality was "Excellent" - something I'd never seen before.

My phone is locked to T-Mobile - can a carrier locked phone somehow restrict access to certain routers?? Seems very weird to me, though I am quite a novice at all of this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

xiaoxi.meng

Jan 25, 2013
beijing
locked phone won't block AP access... maybe backup your data and try master reset.. factory reset... don't need erase sd card.

Sent from my LT29i using xda app-developers app

mpiekp

Mar 23, 2011
Are you using the T-Mobile WiFi app? If so delete your connection from settings, then set your home WiFi via the T-Mobile app, it may be connecting to the open one not your full one.

If you don't use the app, I would change the channel on the router and try that.

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app

skinpuppy

Feb 5, 2013
istanbul
xperia t

I use Xperia T in Turkey but I bought ıt in Bosnia. I checked my phone's ID and ın myphone has got Vodafone Wi-Fi .. When My phone's Wi-Fi is online then suddenly myphone begin afresh itself. What is the problem please help me ..

cerisk

Jul 26, 2012
Kathmandu
I had the same problem then I discovered it happen only in stock firmware or stock based ROM. Try Flashing CM10 or CM10.1. Your problem will likely be solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.