[Q] Is 16gb enough?

Search This thread

tarusdg

Aug 2, 2007
Tennessee
I want to buy the Note. Been waiting for the kitkat update. Will 16gb be enough for on-device stuff like games and apps? Will games like modern combat save additional stuff to microsd. I plan on using a 64gb microsd.

elzeus

Jun 4, 2012
No. Go with the 32. If you're tight on money order a used one from Amazon warehouse they can go as low as $356 for the 32gb.

bimmerboii

Feb 20, 2010
I wish i went with 32gb. Will probably sell my 16gb and get a 32gb one

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011
I'd say 32 GB as well. I have 32+64gb card fully using it. Would have gone with 128gb but they are too expensive atm.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
You need more memory more than ever now that we're on KitKat. Apps can create and access their own files and folders on the external SD card but all other apps can't touch them because of new permissions Google introduced in 4.4. Samsung's apps (EG: Gallery, File Manager) have universal permissions which helps a little. The only way to get full external SD access is a to root.

grandcentral

Apr 24, 2014
Kit Kat and SD Card

I upgraded my Galaxy 10.1 (2014 edition) which has 32 gigs. I found I had several apps installed on a micro sd card that worked with version 4.3 and still work with 4.4.2. Also I downloaded a couple of apps since then and I found I could move them to the micro sd card ant app seems to run as normal. Maybe before Samsung made 4.4.2 available they changed something to work from the card. If you have any apps in the main memory that you have downloaded see if they can be moved to sd card. Some can and some can't. Depends on the developer.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I upgraded my Galaxy 10.1 (2014 edition) which has 32 gigs. I found I had several apps installed on a micro sd card that worked with version 4.3 and still work with 4.4.2. Also I downloaded a couple of apps since then and I found I could move them to the micro sd card ant app seems to run as normal. Maybe before Samsung made 4.4.2 available they changed something to work from the card. If you have any apps in the main memory that you have downloaded see if they can be moved to sd card. Some can and some can't. Depends on the developer.

Try moving a file or creating a folder on the external SD card with a non-Samsung file manager. You can't. Even if you could, only the app that created the folder or file would have access to it. I used to sync files on my N3's external SD card with my home server using FolderSync and it worked flawlessly on 4.3. Once I updated to 4.4 FolderSync spits out error messages every time it tries to write a file to external storage. This has been an issue since KK first landed on a device with external storage (which was the Google Play Edition SGS4 in November). It is what it is and, without rooting to change access permissions, can't be changed and affects every device equally. Thankfully for those of us that can't or won't root, Samsung at least provided some of their key apps with universal read/write permissions.

Here's what the "My Documents" folder created by Hancom on my external SD actually translates to on my N3.

12803505875_6dbdc0176c.jpg

And external storage appears just like normal within any app that's created files or folders there.

12617647853_97679ac44d.jpg

shoon85

Apr 10, 2014
Seoul
I think 32gb is much better.

I am using 16gb now. In my SD some data(lecturenotes, docs, ebooks) and 2 custom rom files. Even i have neither podcasts nor movies, but my SD have only 2gb space now. I think 32gb or higher capacity sd will be much better.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
@BarryH_GEG could I tranfer lets say a film from Internal Storage to SDCard on KitKat??

Thanks in advance.

The work-around to getting pretty much anything to external SD is Samsung's My Files. The challenge is moving huge files, that or moving a lot of files simultaneously that are collectively huge. There might not be enough free space on your internal storage to get the files on to your device. Here's a couple of ways of getting files directly to external storage. Like everyone else I'm not thrilled with the new external SD card restrictions but there are ways to accomplish pretty much anything. The only thing I haven't found a work around for is syncing. I ended up moving a bunch of apps and files to external storage so I could move my sync folders to internal storage.

You can setup a two-window instance of My Files and drag-and-drop content directly from Dropbox to External SD.

14016389596_a4f5eeac47.jpg

You can also use Samsung Link to transfer files from another Samsung device, a PC, or a cloud service (Dropbox, OneDrive, Box) directly to external storage. IMHO, Samsung Link is one of the most overlooked features Samsung provides. It's fantastic for managing and viewing files across devices. For example, I can take a picture with my Gear which transfers it to my N3. I can view, edit, and share the pic from my N10.1-14 or PC seconds later. Anyway, here's a screen shot of it.

14016210976_603e8b65f7.jpg

14053016633_b9aca03a8a.jpg

Reactions: Geordie Affy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    32gb it is then. Thanks to everyone for posting:good:
    @BarryH_GEG could I tranfer lets say a film from Internal Storage to SDCard on KitKat??

Thanks in advance.

The work-around to getting pretty much anything to external SD is Samsung's My Files. The challenge is moving huge files, that or moving a lot of files simultaneously that are collectively huge. There might not be enough free space on your internal storage to get the files on to your device. Here's a couple of ways of getting files directly to external storage. Like everyone else I'm not thrilled with the new external SD card restrictions but there are ways to accomplish pretty much anything. The only thing I haven't found a work around for is syncing. I ended up moving a bunch of apps and files to external storage so I could move my sync folders to internal storage.

You can setup a two-window instance of My Files and drag-and-drop content directly from Dropbox to External SD.

14016389596_a4f5eeac47.jpg

You can also use Samsung Link to transfer files from another Samsung device, a PC, or a cloud service (Dropbox, OneDrive, Box) directly to external storage. IMHO, Samsung Link is one of the most overlooked features Samsung provides. It's fantastic for managing and viewing files across devices. For example, I can take a picture with my Gear which transfers it to my N3. I can view, edit, and share the pic from my N10.1-14 or PC seconds later. Anyway, here's a screen shot of it.

14016210976_603e8b65f7.jpg

14053016633_b9aca03a8a.jpg