{Answers} 2.20 Root Questions & Answers

Search This thread

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
Hard to say. They have been known to take their sweet @ss time with those boot loader token requests lately.

Sent from my HOX w/CM10.1 :)

Reactions: hero913

hero913

Feb 17, 2013
Orlando
Hard to say. They have been known to take their sweet @ss time with those boot loader token requests lately.

I sent an email to htcdev folks last night about it and got a response back in a few hours. Looks like they're having problems w/ communication...

Glad to see the folks over there are at least trying to do something about it manually take care of customers.

"I would want to get my account up and running and I will be glad to help with your HTCDev.com registration. There had been an issue preventing some of these emails from reaching customers, so we arranged for all registration confirmation emails to be re-sent for the last 10 days.

please allow 24 hours for this process to complete and check your inbox and spam folder again. If you do not see the confirmation email after 24 hours please reply with the following information and I will have my team look into this for you:

First and Last Name:
Username:
Registered Email Address:
Browser used during registration:
Was Java Enabled:
Date of Registration:

Thank you for being a part of the HTC community! I hope you are having a wonderful evening.I would want to get my account up and running and I will be glad to help with your HTCDev.com registration. There had been an issue preventing some of these emails from reaching customers, so we arranged for all registration confirmation emails to be re-sent for the last 10 days."

hero913

Feb 17, 2013
Orlando
Quick question,

Will my phone be inoperable while I attempt to unlock the bootloader?

HTCdev still hasn't registered my account even after I've replied to them so I'm skeptical about the reply time for a token from them.

Thanks in advance guys!

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
Quick question,

Will my phone be inoperable while I attempt to unlock the bootloader?

HTCdev still hasn't registered my account even after I've replied to them so I'm skeptical about the reply time for a token from them.

Thanks in advance guys!

Yes. I'd read up on adb, Hboot,and if this is your first android exploit? Read up on recovery IMG.... There is a lot more.

hero913

Feb 17, 2013
Orlando
Yes. I'd read up on adb, Hboot,and if this is your first android exploit? Read up on recovery IMG.... There is a lot more.

I put android on my touchpad, i dont know know if that counts.

But right now, this looks like it might be over my head...

I thought I just need to root it, unlock the bootloader, and then install the custom ROM.

Now I'm reading about changing the radio, hboot, etc.

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
I put android on my touchpad, i dont know know if that counts.

I thought I just need to root it, unlock the bootloader, and then install the custom ROM.

Its not all that bad... Lol. Most custom ROMs have there own kernel's and radio built in so no worries there. You on the right track. We have s-off now also bonus! But starting with unlocking and if you have Hboot 1.14 you'll want to downgrade you Hboot with jet. Ah ya.... know I'm down to chat on gtalk if you pm me I'll set you up. :)

hero913

Feb 17, 2013
Orlando
Its not all that bad... Lol. Most custom ROMs have there own kernel's and radio built in so no worries there. You on the right track. We have s-off now also bonus! But starting with unlocking and if you have Hboot 1.14 you'll want to downgrade you Hboot with jet. Ah ya.... know I'm down to chat on gtalk if you pm me I'll set you up. :)

Thanks!! Just sent you a pm.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
IMost custom ROMs have there own kernel's and radio built in so no worries there.

Kernels yes, radios no. Custom ROMs will typically not touch the radio.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

You're pretty much correct.

What you need to do to flash custom ROMs if you are presently on 2.20 is:

Temp-root using X-factor
SuperCID
Unlock bootloader
Install TWRP
Install a custom ROM
Flash boot.img using fastboot (or Flash Image GUI)

Flashing radios is purely optional. Downgrading hboot is only if you want to be skip the boot.img step above every time you flash a new ROM.

Last edited:

hero913

Feb 17, 2013
Orlando

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!

I wish there was a thanks amplifier for this guy!!

Seriously mods, you guys should award him something. Josh let me bug him all day long, put up with my dumb ass and kept helping me without a complaint!!!

An amazing forum with truly amazing members!!!

Reactions: subarudroid

nicxxxe

Jun 3, 2012
Use the x factor step by step then get your unlock token from htc.dev then download HTC evita tool kit then paste your unlock token in data folder of the evita tool kit then follow steps on tool kit easy as pie :D

Opppum noob style:D

Sent from my HTC One X rooted & unlocked easy by a noob

angramenyu

May 15, 2012
Stuck on HTC logo with red letters after trying to restore the original at&t rom from a backup I made earlier.

ravenbrand

May 8, 2010
Western MA
Stuck in boot screen loop

It was seeming to be such a good day. I ran the X_Factor exploit and had the phone rooted. I flashed TWRP recovery. I installed Super SU. I downloaded Titanium Back Up (with the Key that I purchased with my last rooted phone). Then I wanted to flash the AOKP ROM with gapps. Went through the steps described in this thread. After mounting the sd card so I could move the ROM and gapps to the phone. I couldn't unmount, saying a program was still using the drive/device. I closed all open programs and still got an error message. Shut down the PC completely (probably the wrong thing to do). Then I was in TWRP recovery and ran the factory reset under wipe. And flashed the ROM with gapps through the recovery program. Now it's stuck in a loop of the HTC boot screen (which shows the warning about it being a build for development purposes only). It goes off for 30 seconds then comes back on for maybe 30 seconds. I plugged it in to the PC to see if there were any hope of recognizing it in adb or fastboot (no) and it kept trying to install drivers for the new hardware.

Any chance of getting this back into operational mode. This guide was very helpful and I read everything. A user mentioned a similar problem around page six of the thread. He was told to hold down the power button and the volume down button to get to fastboot. That doesn't work. That has never worked for me. When I hold the buttons down the arrow, home, and recent apps buttons start flashing, but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance,
RB

EDIT: I was able to get adb to recognize the phone this morning. It wasn't turning on, so I plugged it in. The PC tried loading drivers for it, so I checked if it was in the adb devices list. It was and I was able to reboot into the bootloader and then switched to recovery. Now I'm scared to do anything. I have to let it charge back up (battery was down to 3%) but then I'm not sure if I should restore from my back-up or try to reflash the AOKP ROM

Last edited:

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
A user mentioned a similar problem around page six of the thread. He was told to hold down the power button and the volume down button to get to fastboot. That doesn't work. That has never worked for me. When I hold the buttons down the arrow, home, and recent apps buttons start flashing, but nothing happens.

Not being able to get into hboot/bootloader is virtually always a matter of the user just not performing the button sequence incorrectly. People always just say "hold power and volume down", but that's really an incomplete description. If the phone is in a bootloop, or stuck "on", the best way is:

Hold power and volume down for a few seconds (about 5 sec) until the capacitive buttons flash, and keep holding. The phone will power off. Once the screen is black, release the power button (keep holding volume down) then press power button for 3 seconds and release. Keep holding volume down (shouldn't have release it at any point in the sequence so far) until the white hboot screen comes up.

This should work every time. From the hboot screen, you can go into fastboot mode, or boot into recovery.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Sounds like your original problem, is you just forgot to flash boot.img when you flashed the ROM.

What hboot version?

ravenbrand

May 8, 2010
Western MA
Hold power and volume down for a few seconds (about 5 sec) until the capacitive buttons flash, and keep holding. The phone will power off. Once the screen is black, release the power button (keep holding volume down) then press power button for 3 seconds and release. Keep holding volume down (shouldn't have release it at any point in the sequence so far) until the white hboot screen comes up.

Thanks, the videos I had seen that demonstrate it (on non-AT&T versions, I'm sure) make it look simpler. If I need to try again, I'll use your better instructions. I have it in recovery now.

Sounds like your original problem, is you just forgot to flash boot.img when you flashed the ROM.

What hboot version?

I thought I had flashed the boot.img. I used the fastboot flash boot boot.img command with the boot.img extracted from the AOKP ROM. Hboot on my phone is 1.14.0002. Does that help?
Thanks again,
RB

ravenbrand

May 8, 2010
Western MA
I thought I had flashed the boot.img. I used the fastboot flash boot boot.img command with the boot.img extracted from the AOKP ROM.

I tried flashing the boot.img file again. This is what happened, which I'm fairly certain means I did it correctly:
C:\X_Factor_Windows>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (5300 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY

I put the ROM.zip file and the gapps.zip file on the phone's storage. I wiped dalvik cache, system, and factory reset. I chose the ROM.zip and gapps.zip files to install. The feedback from the phone said the install was successful. When I went to reboot into the system, Recovery said that the phone did not appear to be rooted. Recovery asked if I wanted to install SuperSU now. I tried that and it said it failed to copy SU binary to system/bin.

One question I can't find a clear answer for is, should the ROM.zip file not have boot.img in it anymore. Should I unzip the file, take boot.img out, rezip the file, then move that to the phone and install that version?

Thanks for the continuing help,
RB

Last edited:

ravenbrand

May 8, 2010
Western MA
I put the ROM.zip file and the gapps.zip file on the phone's storage. I wiped dalvik cache, system, and factory reset.

Whoops, I should have wiped Dalvik cache and factory reset, but not the system. I did it all again (flashed boot.IMG, put the ROM and gapps on my phone, booted into recovery and installed the those two files*) and it worked.

*I also flashed the updated SuperSU.zip to take care of the apparent lack of root. I wonder if that was from wiping the system?

Thanks for the great thread to help with rooting my phone.
RB

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen so many thread with same questions all over in One X Q&A, so I have tried to pool all questions in one place and provide the answers.

Mod*- This should be in Q&A because i think people who do not read posts in General and come back and post questions in Q&A

First and Foremost

........................................Please please Read Read Read Read Read Read before you post or flash anything...................................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1 - How to root 2.20 firmware

Answer

If you want to do all this in more easy way (i.e using GUI) then i would recommend you to follow - [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [10-28-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof]

Step 1 - Setup the environment which will help you in rooting your device

1) Download Android SDK from here {For Windows}

2) Download java if you need it - here

3) Only for windows - Download htc sync ( It will install necessary htc drivers) - Link

4) Just to check if htc drivers installed properly , open "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" ( Or folder where adb and fastboot exists) then "Press shift + right click and select "Open command window here" ( open command prompt and cd "folder where adb and fastboot exists).

5) In command window type " adb devices" and see output - If you get output then htc drivers installed properly.

"Info - What to learn about more about adb then goto - [HOW-TO] Install & Use ADB tool | Android Debug Bridge | Drivers - Videos - Tutorial

Fastboot - Link"

You can skip step 4 & step 5 - These steps are only for verification .

6) Goto [ROOT] HTC One X AT&T 2.20 Firmware - X-Factor root exploit and follow the instructions there.

7) I hope you successfully rooted your device (If not look at the FAQ)

If you think above instructions are difficult to follow then - There is awesome guide by XsMagical [ROOT][2.20][hboot 1.14] One XL Bootloader unlock & Root guide

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2 - How to Installing custom recovery

1) You need follow the instructions listed here - Follow the instructions in this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33179690 ( Thanks to GuyIncognito721)

I have further simplified the instructions which are listed in above link , so that they are more noobbbbb friendly (noobbbb - people who cannot read and follow instructions )

1) Download custom recovery, TWRP is preferred: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/99

Info"""" Reason to use TWRP -
    CWM does not officially support our device, and its just a port. Due to this, CWM has some serious and known problems. As already mentioned, USB mount doesn't work. Also, it has been known in some cases to cause some major issues with dialer and other phone functionality after flashing a ROM. Problems that persist even if you try flashing another ROM or restoring a backup. These problems are difficult (although not impossible) to fix, and a big headache.

TWRP officially supports our device, gets regular updates. Its fully working, and its recommended by almost all (if not all) our developers." (Thanks to redpoint73) """""

2) Make sure the file you downloaded "openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.0-evita.img (for example) should be in same folder where adb and fasboot present ( How to make sure = You need to copy the file in the folder where adb and fasboot present)

Example - If you downloaded android sdk then the downloaded file should be in "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" folder.

Look at twrprecovery1 - image in the attachment

3) Then open command prompt in the same folder ( by pressing shift+right click and select "open command window" here) or open command window and type cd C:\android-sdk\platform-tools (or change to directory where adb and fastboot exists)

4) Then Run the following command fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img (openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img is the file name which you downloaded) in command prompt

5) Then run the command fastboot reboot in the command prompt (phone will reboot, so do not panic)

6) Run the following command after the phone is rebooted adb reboot recovery

7)You should be in the new TWRP recovery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here follow the instructions below to flash custom roms

Question 4 - How to flash Custom ROMS

Info - We have two development forums

1) Download the ROM of your choice on to your pc from above links

2) Once you downloaded the ROM of your choice, then extract the ROM.zip ( that mean you need to unzip it )

For example you downloaded CM10 -cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita and extracted it . Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract image in below ))

For example you downloaded Nocturnal Megre X rom and extracted it. Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract1 image in below ))

3) Now copy the boot.img from the extracted folder and paste in folder where fastboot and adb are present ( if you downloaded Android then paste it in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools )

Your folder where adb and fastboot present should now have boot.img of the ROM you extracted

4) Put phone into bootloader mode,

Either by opening command prompt in the same window where you placed boot.img (i.e where adb, fastboot is present) and running the command adb reboot bootloader in command prompt ( do not close the command prompt)

Or, since your phone is in recovery , select "Reboot" then Bootloader .

Note*- You always can get into bootloader by pressing power button + volume down for 10-15 sec. Also from there you can get into recovery by using volume keys to select recovery and pressing power button to enter into recovery

5) Once your phone is in bootloader mode, type the following command fastboot flash boot boot.img ( If command prompt is closed then open command prompt in the folder where boot.img, adb, fastboot are present . For example: C:\android-sdk\platform-tools - Same folder used in step 3)

5) Then run the following command adb reboot recovery

6) Your phone is in TWRP recovery

7) Select mount from recovery ( See mount - image in the attachments for example)

8) Copy the ROM.zip which you downloaded earlier to the SD card ( For example cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip) ( Not the extracted folder but the actual zip file which you downloaded)

4) Copy the gapps into sd card ( you need to download gapps if you using CM10 or ASOP roms )

5) Unmount, then select Wipe and select Factory reset ( it is recommended to do a factory reset before flashing the new ROM. ) (See wipe, wipe1 images below )

6) Select Install in recovery and flash the ROM.zip

7) You need flash gapps if you flashing CM10 or ASOP ROMS

8) Enjoy

1) If you keep getting htc red screen ( saying " This Build is for development only") then it does not mean you bricked your device. It means you forgot to flash boot.img or missed some step

2) if you are flashing similar ROMs ( having same kernel ).. there is no need to flash boot.img separately. But say if you wanna switch from sense to aosp you must do that as they have different kernels.

Again if you are just upgrading from older version to newer version of same ROM and if there are no kernel changes no need to flash it" (thanks kancherlapraneeth)

3) Another scenario, if you struck in boot for every long and you panicked and you did factory reset. After you can access only twrp recovery then do not worry, do the following

"plug in phone to your computer and enter twrp, choose "mount". Get on your computer and download Rom of choice. Once downloaded, extract Rom and seperate the boot.img. rezip Rom. Transfer Rom onto phone.

fastboot boot.img, then flash the Rom through twrp. Then your golden" (Thanks to InflatedTitan) ( Do not understand fastboot , boot.img then read above)

4) If you flashed an internation rom or rom which is not for our device and bricked your device then follow this link , the OP has similar problem and people helped him

5)Which version of super user do I need to flash [/B

In above instructions, after you installed Custom recovery you flashed custom ROM then you already have it ( since you rooted) , so check the root with app called root checker.

"If your on stock with twrp installed then it was a temp root, so root is gone after you reboot, but it allowed for a permanent boot loader unlock. So you will need to flash an su binary package and then download a superuser app from the play store." (thanks to absolutelygrim) (Case where you did not unlock the bootloader but just rooted and rebooted. ) then download http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip (Superuser zip ) and flash in recovery ( same way we flash custom ROM or gapps.) then download supersu from the market and update the binaries
    Anyone correct if I wrote something wrong or need to be changed.

Mods - Delete if you find it unnecessary
    I gotta say, I'm proud of our little community. I really haven't seen any harsh words or flaming of the recent wave of noobs, even though a lot of problems could have been easily avoidable on their part. Great job for those who have helped someone recently. I'm sure those in need appreciated it, even if they haven't hit the thanks button. They'll soon see how great the HOXLers are!

sent from my venom injected, blazingly fast as f#&k OneXL via xda premium

+1 bro really we are awesome community who keep helping without ranting or flaming

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium
    Bro you did a damn good job on this. If a noob can't follow this, he doesn't need to be hacking anything. I mean for god sakes you've included pictures lol. Even though you've included steps and the fastboot commands, What about adding a link to gunnyman's quick anb dirty adb and fastboot tutorial? Rich in knowledge

I gotta say, I'm proud of our little community. I really haven't seen any harsh words or flaming of the recent wave of noobs, even though a lot of problems could have been easily avoidable on their part. Great job for those who have helped someone recently. I'm sure those in need appreciated it, even if they haven't hit the thanks button. They'll soon see how great the HOXLers are!