To root or not to root the s5?

Search This thread

Goldie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 16, 2010
I think as of right now there is no good reason to root the S5....none of the current ROMs are worth breaking the warranty for and we aren't lagging behind the android OS versions that we want urgently catch up to. My advice would be to wait until more advanced rooting methods come around that bypass the knox tripping or until CM, AOKP, AOSP etc ROMS start rolling out or if we get a couple of Android OS versions behind, whichever comes first

Oh yeah.... Wait til Cm... AOKP etc and lose most of what makes your s5 an s5!? Samsung based roms keep all that and can add as much customisation as them. Why you would buy an s5 then put aosp on it and turn it into a glorified nexus is beyond me. Just buy a nexus!

Touchwiz has this stigma since it actually was bad on s1. Since then it's been getting better and better and on the s5 it's actually very good.

Samsung based rom's keep all the Sammy functionality and can be just as customisable as cm etc without breaking integral things like camera etc. To say they are not worthy of rooting for is simply ludicrous imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: bradthemarsh

Glock3am

Dec 24, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Nexus 7
i9100
IMO, if not rooted, ROMed etc, why come to XDA Developers website, you know what I mean?

I do it first day on all devices, have'nt bricked one yet :silly: not!

I love to tweak the hell out of the device, rid it of bloat, block adds, not to mention the advantages of more regular updates and fixes.

Also if using custom ROM you're getting a ROM that has had many man/team hours spent on it rather than a ROM developed for a commercial mass production, theres a comment above that states "no ROM is worthy of flashing on S5 yet" well I'd like to ask you, how the hell do you know if you have'nt flashed anything yet? :p

Whilst I agree with most of your reasons, blocking ads deprives hard-working devs of their income and cheats the system - I don't think it's a very noble thing to do.

Plus the statement about custom ROMs having many man hours spent on them compared to stock is a bit ludicrous. Do you think Samsung just throws them out there themselves without also having plenty of development time and testing? They have the money and time to spend on it unlike most ROM developers doing it in there spare time here and there for a few PayPal bucks.

I'm yet to have a custom ROM that didn't lose some functionality or have a few crashes here and there whereas stock ROMs are pretty much as stable as it gets.

I love rooting and the custom ROM scene as much as the next man, but let's be realistic here.

bradthemarsh

Jan 19, 2011
I held out on getting root right from launch day in April until a few days ago.

Now that towelroot has been invented, I was able to root while still having a 0x0 Knox reading, and totally official Rom status.

I love it! The best of both worlds, warranty, root, and stability. The only issue I ran into was after installing xposed, I couldn't get s health to work. Even after following all the step by step instructions.

I uninstalled xposed, and s health is good again.

But mainly my favourite part is greenify and titanium backup. To be able to freeze background processes that I don't often use, but still have them.

I find my phone is running a lot quicker just from that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Whilst I agree with most of your reasons, blocking ads deprives hard-working devs of their income and cheats the system - I don't think it's a very noble thing to do.

Plus the statement about custom ROMs having many man hours spent on them compared to stock is a bit ludicrous. Do you think Samsung just throws them out there themselves without also having plenty of development time and testing? They have the money and time to spend on it unlike most ROM developers doing it in there spare time here and there for a few PayPal bucks.

I'm yet to have a custom ROM that didn't lose some functionality or have a few crashes here and there whereas stock ROMs are pretty much as stable as it gets.

I love rooting and the custom ROM scene as much as the next man, but let's be realistic here.

I respect and admire the hard and good work the rom and kernel devs do but most roms/kernels are sometimes not as stable as the stock rom. You flash a custom rom/kernel at your own risk while Samsung covers software errors under warranty, that says it all imo ;) My device is not rooted atm as i only have it recently and i wanr to try it out as it is and its running well. I may root in the future though if i feel like it.

Last edited:

Lowresolution

Dec 28, 2011
I am still debating to root my s5 or not. Still stock so far. A couple of questions

1-) Is there any stable AOSP rom available ?
2-) Any list available regarding the bloatware that is to be removed ? ( international S5 version )

monsterkruemel

Aug 27, 2010
I didn´t even think about not rooting. If there had been no root-option and no custom roms here on xda i would not have bought the S5.

Root with towelroot.

TWRP Recovery.

Perfectly happy with my extremely debloated ROM, Xposed Frameword and Gravity Box KK.

Works flawlessly! :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys I'm pondering whether or not to root my s5 and I have yet to find THE reason. I'd appreciate it if you took a second to write down if you rooted or not. The pros and cons pertaining the the s5. So far there's only a handfull of roms available, a far cry from the previous, galaxy s forums.
    IMO Xposed framework would be the only valid reason but then again is it worth tripping the knox counter and voiding our warranty?

What do you think?

Hi! Some other opinions can be found in his thread (also my answer): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2724257

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Root is so good! believe me.:laugh:
    I think as of right now there is no good reason to root the S5....none of the current ROMs are worth breaking the warranty for and we aren't lagging behind the android OS versions that we want urgently catch up to. My advice would be to wait until more advanced rooting methods come around that bypass the knox tripping or until CM, AOKP, AOSP etc ROMS start rolling out or if we get a couple of Android OS versions behind, whichever comes first

Oh yeah.... Wait til Cm... AOKP etc and lose most of what makes your s5 an s5!? Samsung based roms keep all that and can add as much customisation as them. Why you would buy an s5 then put aosp on it and turn it into a glorified nexus is beyond me. Just buy a nexus!

Touchwiz has this stigma since it actually was bad on s1. Since then it's been getting better and better and on the s5 it's actually very good.

Samsung based rom's keep all the Sammy functionality and can be just as customisable as cm etc without breaking integral things like camera etc. To say they are not worthy of rooting for is simply ludicrous imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk