Will there ever be ports to ___? No!

Search This thread

NikolaiT

Aug 20, 2010
There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.

Last edited:

TonyCubed

Mar 5, 2010
There won't be ports to say, the Motorola Xoom or the HP TouchPad. Let me explain:

1. In it's current state, Windows 8 doesn't support ARM architecture, although it will later, so I suppose this is only a semi-valid point.

2. and 3. Windows 8 isn't open source, so any ports would be illegal and without source, it's basically impossible.

Please don't fill this subsection with questions concerning if it'll ever come to your tablet/phone/etc., because it won't.

Microsoft does have Windows 8 running on ARM, the only thing they haven't done is release a dev build. We'll either get it at a later date or we'll have to wait for the beta.

Saljen

Sep 15, 2011

Not being open source didn't stop the HTC HD2 from recieving Windows Phone 7

Reactions: scariola and tlkh

stevenmu

Nov 21, 2003
While it will support ARM, I'd say it's doubtful that it would be released on a disk that you could just load onto your existing device, it will probably only come preloaded on devices by OEMs.

Traditionally MS haven't been worried about piracy of their mobile OS's. Their mobile OS efforts have mainly been about keeping people in the Windows eco-system, and to a much lesser degree selling licenses for CE to OEMs making embedded devices. In most cases of mobile OS roms being posted, they've just been updated/enhanced roms for existing Windows mobile devices and so haven't really cost sales and have possibly enhanced the ecosystem.

They're generally much much more concerned about piracy of their main OS. It remains to be seen how they will react to people trying port the ARM version of Windows 8, but they could easily react as strongly as they would for a normal x86 windows.

TechJunkiesCA

1. WinMo wasn’t open source either. Unlike WinMo, Windows licenses can be purchased.
2. Considering the fact that Intel and Google are now working together, the likelihood of cross compatible hardware specs are high for both Arm and Intel chips
3. This OS if it stays in close to current form will be a sort of hybrid of mobile/desktop OS. The mobile side will create a need for sideloaded apps, tweaks, reg hacks etc.
4. It is almost certain that Windows Phone will converge with this os down the line and I would argue that this forum has potential to be the most used forum of the site so the earlier the devs get started the better!

Oct 15, 2007
Omaha
4. It is almost certain that Windows Phone will converge with this os down the line and I would argue that this forum has potential to be the most used forum of the site so the earlier the devs get started the better!

This porting work will indeed happen. Just not on this forum aparently/unfortunately. Discussions about illegal software is a far cry from hosting illegal software. Developers often experiment with breaking laws for learning about a system. exe - tutorials about changing esn # with specific notes that you should not do it. It's just an experiment.

My question is it against the rules to discuss or link to other sites that house these ports? It used to be at least overlooked. See example below and there are countless others in the older stuff.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=362344&page=3

In the past XDA was much more loose about this type of stuff and was my first place to look for the dream goal of putting a desktop class OS on a PDA.

Reactions: dhiral.v

eXecuter.bin

May 10, 2011
It most likely won't.

But do you honestly think anyone will care much about it?

Take Mac OS X for instance. It clearly states in the EULA that installing the software on unapproved/non-Mac hardware are illegal, and yet there are tons of people with dedicated forums hacking away at it to make it run on various PC hardwares, and still ongoing for years.

Last edited:

ugothakd

Jun 12, 2011
O 'Fallon, MO

Take Mac OS X for instance. It clearly states in the EULA that installing the software on unapproved/non-Mac hardware are illegal, and yet there are tons of people with dedicated forums hacking away at it to make it run on various PC hardwares, and still ongoing for years.

Good point...people will try. But the bootloaders are most likely different. Maybe devices with hacked bootloaders (captivate) would be possible.

sent from my epic 4g. with the key skips.

dhiral.v

May 27, 2009
London
If you own a valid license it can't be illegal anyways be it ARM version or not.

We'll see how microsoft releases the product and how many different versions there are in what form.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Indeed, i think we need to leave the legalities aside, and use the assumption of....

You have your Legal and valid licence key, this is how you can get it working on x y and Z

Of course, if it is only Sold as OEM then legally you dont have leg to stand on, OEM copies are for the sole use on the hardware in which is was purchased with, i think the licence says it allows a number of hardware upgrades but you are not intitled to rip it off one PC and dump it on another one. (assuming its the same as a Win 7 Licence), yes people do do it, but that doesnt make it legal or condonable, so if thats the case the XDA couldnt allow anything to do with it

But lets say it can be brought as a retail package, then there is nothing to stop us from attempting to install it on anything we like, infact it may even be easier than we think given that MS usually gives a shed load of drivers, the tricky bit will be getting the bootloaders to allow it.

Sir. Haxalot

Sep 28, 2010
Linköping
www.wp7board.com

Forbidden, not illegal. The EULA doesn't really have any legal basis whatsoever. Apple can deny you support on your product if you break the EULA though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This porting work will indeed happen. Just not on this forum aparently/unfortunately. Discussions about illegal software is a far cry from hosting illegal software. Developers often experiment with breaking laws for learning about a system. exe - tutorials about changing esn # with specific notes that you should not do it. It's just an experiment.

My question is it against the rules to discuss or link to other sites that house these ports? It used to be at least overlooked. See example below and there are countless others in the older stuff.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=362344&page=3

In the past XDA was much more loose about this type of stuff and was my first place to look for the dream goal of putting a desktop class OS on a PDA.
    Forbidden, not illegal. The EULA doesn't really have any legal basis whatsoever. Apple can deny you support on your product if you break the EULA though.

Its a binding agreement, breaking it "can" land you in a heep of trouble

and depending on how ARM Win 8 is sold it could be classed illegal under various digitial rights acts throughout the world.

its all a bit academic really, we are all gussing, and making assumptions, chances of anything happening are very remote if there even is anything to get it to trouble for, but if there is a likely hood of XDA getting in to trouble it will pull the plug, and rightly so.

lets just wait for ARM win 8 and see how it stacks up, i wouldnt hold your breath at it performing well on our current gen hardware though, judging by the video i saw earlier
    I'll be starting a definitive guide to Windows 8 on ARM in the Dev section shortly and highlighting the currently known facts and other informed opinion