Meizu 16th - about, how to root and Gapps.

Search This thread
Oct 26, 2018
Phone is beautiful. Latest hardware and in screen fingerprint sensor. You have to hold it in your hands and then you will understand...

Problem. Meizu does not unlock bootloader and gives root only to models with Chinese firmware. Why? I do not know... And do not care. Where there is will there is a way.

I want to thank members from 4pda.ru and google translate for helping me root my 16th.

Bought a global version and it is nice. But the most important things to me like xposed app settings and titanium backup require root privilege. I was forced into flashing Chinese firmware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is step by step tutorial for installing Chinese firmware A.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be warned there are only ENGLISH and CHINESE languages to choose for you user interface.

1. Make a backup. Still have to explore that, maybe google backup.

2. Head over to https://www.flyme.cn/firmwarelist-174.html#3

3. Download firmware:
2i06a8l.png

4. Transfer or move update.zip to your root folder of internal storage.

5. Shut down.

6. Hold Power and Volume up together. Phone will boot into stock recovery.
15n851d.png

7. Update the system. Selecting "Clear data" will delete all personal data ( such as Notes, Email, and Contacts); whereas the internal storage for Music and Camera photos ...etc. will remain intact.

8. The process took 10 minutes and i was a happy Chinese firmware A user.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google services. I used google installer for xiaomi 3.0
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to https://xiaomifirmware.com/downloads/download-google-installer-3-0-xiaomi/

2. Find Google Installer 3.0 for Locked Bootloader and download apk.

3. Open and start.
qpfays.png

4. I had to restart the process few times. Close and click again till it installs all 6 of services.
1zzz2h.png

5. I manually installed Google play and calendar from Play store if i remember correctly.

-----------------------------------
Root.

Since i completed my root rights through online application i can not supply all of the pictures.

Be aware. You can obtain root rights only by having Chinese firmware A version and through online aplication. They work from Monday to Friday and you will not be authorized on Saturday and Sunday. Like me. Applied Friday and waited till Monday morning and boom. Root rights.

1. Best to do it from phone. You must have or create Meizu flyme account and id. Settings, account info...
accpj4.png

2. Download root tool apk from meizu. https://mroot.flyme.cn/download.html and install.
zikbxh.png

3. In Root tool there are PSN and CHIPID identifiers needed for completing authorization.
20tf2qe.jpg

4. Go to https://mroot.flyme.cn/ and click:
2e5vat0.png

5. Next click
29hhyb.jpg

6. Next click
15doz08.png

7. Now you are finally there.
1z57zvd.png

8. Fill in the form:
713gut.png

9. Used bunch of numbers for phone number 12345678901
Wrote i needed xposed and titanium backup under reason.

10. Last click.
o52n3p.png

When they approve your root rights you will be able to click root in the roottool app which contains PSN and CHIPID values. Phone will restart and you will have root rights. If i remember correctly.

If you need any help do not hesitate to ask. If i wrote something wrong share your correcttions.

Last edited:

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome
They claim they have unlocked bootloader...
And installed twrp.
Waiting...

Yeah exactly Bro !!!!

Global variant is arriving to me next week, hope to know more about that guy hoping to unlock direcly Global rom that is best than chinese in all things !!!!

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

we need to request a Full Meizu 16th Section !!!!

Oct 26, 2018
While waiting...

Someone wants to share pics of case and screen protectors...

nh1da8.jpg

wcldi1.jpg

Case - i think - ordered 4 different white ones - turns out they were all the same, maybe slight white color variations but the shape and cutout were the same:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Luxury-Case-for-Meizu-16th-Plus-16-Plus-M15-Ultra-Thin-Soft-TPU-Matte-Case-for/32919567692.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4d4fkUsO

Current glass is terrible, doesnt cover all of screen but i had to use something...
Waiting for fullscreen protector:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Schutzfolie-f%C3%BCr-Meizu-16-inkl-Rundung-Flex-Folie-dipos-Display-Schutz/153157883164

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Yeah exactly Bro !!!!

Global variant is arriving to me next week, hope to know more about that guy hoping to unlock direcly Global rom that is best than chinese in all things !!!!

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

we need to request a Full Meizu 16th Section !!!!

If it gets unlocked bootloader then modders will come and 16th will have its own section.
Congrats on the buy. Phone is a beauty and a beast.

Reactions: wolfgart

deleater

Jul 30, 2014
F*ck. If I was a girl, I'd say: I'm all wet. Since I'm a man, I simply feel it's rising.
I want twrp, root, magisk, xposed, titanium and luckypatcher. Also russian dudes claim they did it some time ago too, still no public announcement, only a photo with 16th running an android 4.0 lol

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

While waiting...

Someone wants to share pics of case and screen protectors...

nh1da8.jpg

wcldi1.jpg

Case - i think - ordered 4 different white ones - turns out they were all the same, maybe slight white color variations but the shape and cutout were the same:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Luxury-Case-for-Meizu-16th-Plus-16-Plus-M15-Ultra-Thin-Soft-TPU-Matte-Case-for/32919567692.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4d4fkUsO

Current glass is terrible, doesnt cover all of screen but i had to use something...
Waiting for fullscreen protector:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Schutzfolie-f%C3%BCr-Meizu-16-inkl-Rundung-Flex-Folie-dipos-Display-Schutz/153157883164

goddam, 7 euros!? lol hell no, screw it! I'm using the default silicon case and it's pretty elegant + ordered a pare of glass for $2 which is a lil more wide.
The one the seller sent me is as yours, but for some reason I couldn't apply it well or something, it has bubbles near the corner - it's irritating. And making the whole picture sad, so I'm waiting for that glass now, but 7 euros for a piece of glass is a little too much for me right now.

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome
F*ck. If I was a girl, I'd say: I'm all wet. Since I'm a man, I simply feel it's rising.
I want twrp, root, magisk, xposed, titanium and luckypatcher. Also russian dudes claim they did it some time ago too, still no public announcement, only a photo with 16th running an android 4.0 lol

Meizu should release kernel source for their Global Variants. We on the West side of the world have to play with free things. No reason to root chinese device and not Global that should be a lot more free devices

deleater

Jul 30, 2014
ordered Black color 8/128 .

Can't wait .

On the Global rom do you have any Lag or problem receiving notifications app ? whatsapp, telegram or other ...

Btw, yeah, I hace problems with notifications. Not with messangers, but other programs - yeah... Just thought of it lol. Know a solution?

deleater

Jul 30, 2014
Meizu should release kernel source for their Global Variants. We on the West side of the world have to play with free things. No reason to root chinese device and not Global that should be a lot more free devices

I'm not that much obout geography, but hell yeah! That's simply knida stupid: making a closed system for global version while letting it free at chinese market + having a possibility to flash A version and get that damn root lol.
It's like a virgin who's dreaming of a man! :S

PS somehow it's only a gender joke I had in my mind - wonder if Freud has something to say about this.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Um... well, one is an app, something like a comunity where ppl post discounts and hot deals, etc. They have private messages + activities notifications. Tho I never got one, had to check on email to know if someone pmed me.
No other app I had a problem with so far. Still, I'm using only fb / messanger / whatsapp actively, lemme check other apps now.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Yeah, inbox doesn't send notifications. That's a pity actually, gotta deal with it somehow.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Nothing else I can tell right now. I get notifications from other apps that are crucial to me.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

Just read a post where is said that root option for global version was cut because of google sertification requirements.

Reactions: wolfgart

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome

wolfgart

Sep 14, 2007
Rome
Waiting for this. Don't want to install Chinese firmware for root and have all the problems of Chinese firmware working with Google services...

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Meizu 16th TWRP
https://reameizu.com/developers-succeeded-in-installing-twrp-on-meizu16th-and-meizu16thplus/

Found this link in flyme telegram group
@flymeTelegram

hope for good news about the Global variant, the most important variant for us.

Last edited:

deleater

Jul 30, 2014

not that i know of! :(
I think we shall wait fro chinese first. If they will release the method to unlock a bootloader, I guess it won't be a problem to flash any firmware after twrp installed. At least, I think so and hope it is so.
So, if someone would watch after chinese news, that'd be great. I'll keep me eyes on 4pda

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Phone is beautiful. Latest hardware and in screen fingerprint sensor. You have to hold it in your hands and then you will understand...

Problem. Meizu does not unlock bootloader and gives root only to models with Chinese firmware. Why? I do not know... And do not care. Where there is will there is a way.

I want to thank members from 4pda.ru and google translate for helping me root my 16th.

Bought a global version and it is nice. But the most important things to me like xposed app settings and titanium backup require root privilege. I was forced into flashing Chinese firmware.

Here is step by step tutorial for installing Chinese firmware A.

Be warned there are only ENGLISH and CHINESE languages to choose for you user interface.

1. Make a backup. Still have to explore that, maybe google backup.

2. Head over to https://www.flyme.cn/firmwarelist-174.html#3

3. Download firmware:
    2i06a8l.png

4. Transfer or move update.zip to your root folder of internal storage.

5. Shut down.

6. Hold Power and Volume up together. Phone will boot into stock recovery.
    15n851d.png

7. Update the system. Selecting "Clear data" will delete all personal data ( such as Notes, Email, and Contacts); whereas the internal storage for Music and Camera photos ...etc. will remain intact.

8. The process took 10 minutes and i was a happy Chinese firmware A user.

Google services. I used google installer for xiaomi 3.0

1. Go to https://xiaomifirmware.com/downloads/download-google-installer-3-0-xiaomi/

2. Find Google Installer 3.0 for Locked Bootloader and download apk.

3. Open and start.
    qpfays.png

4. I had to restart the process few times. Close and click again till it installs all 6 of services.
    1zzz2h.png

5. I manually installed Google play and calendar from Play store if i remember correctly.

Root.

Since i completed my root rights through online application i can not supply all of the pictures.

Be aware. You can obtain root rights only by having Chinese firmware A version and through online aplication. They work from Monday to Friday and you will not be authorized on Saturday and Sunday. Like me. Applied Friday and waited till Monday morning and boom. Root rights.

1. Best to do it from phone. You must have or create Meizu flyme account and id. Settings, account info...
    accpj4.png

2. Download root tool apk from meizu. https://mroot.flyme.cn/download.html and install.
    zikbxh.png

3. In Root tool there are PSN and CHIPID identifiers needed for completing authorization.
    20tf2qe.jpg

4. Go to https://mroot.flyme.cn/ and click:
    2e5vat0.png

5. Next click
    29hhyb.jpg

6. Next click
    15doz08.png

7. Now you are finally there.
    1z57zvd.png

8. Fill in the form:
    713gut.png

9. Used bunch of numbers for phone number 12345678901
    Wrote i needed xposed and titanium backup under reason.

10. Last click.
    o52n3p.png

When they approve your root rights you will be able to click root in the roottool app which contains PSN and CHIPID values. Phone will restart and you will have root rights. If i remember correctly.

If you need any help do not hesitate to ask. If i wrote something wrong share your correcttions.
    You can install any treble arm64-aonly rom. I tested aex and pixel experience. Everything work fine. Expect fingerprint. But as i know fingerprint doesnt work on any phone with inscreen fingerprint scaner. You just need unlocked bootloader. Now i built twrp and installed aex+magisk(also you can install treble via fastboot or dd if). Good luck with your s8.
    PS. And i will tell you more. I just built dualbootpatcher with 16th's support. Not tested yet. I need make treble rom for dbp. But i am sure it will work :)
    PPS unlocked bootloader is not enough to install twrp. Also you need hacked abootloader(abl, ablbak), and some other hacked partitions. It allow you to use all fastboot commands like fastboot boot ..., fastboot flashing unlock_critical and ...). allow to install unsigned recovery images and etc
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=905401&view=findpost&p=78598159
    here, that guy says that if chinese won't release an unlock soon, he and his friend will.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=905401&view=findpost&p=78597779
    first line
    I just received the device, and the bootloader is locked ofcourse. Are there any news about unlocking it or should I just sell it?

There are some news, but not so positive. First of all, I cannot find a partition that stores unlock info. We have a service firmware, but it is bound to engineering account, and we need to unbind those firehose files to successfully unlock the bootloader. If anything changes I will write here. You can also check the status on Russian forum 4PDA, if you know Russian, of course
    any news guys about Bootloader Unlock ?