Root or stay stock?

Search This thread

sofia-captivate

Mar 7, 2011
Vancouver
I still haven't rooted my note 2. I want to root and get custom roms but scared the roms might not have good battery like stock. I'm not sure what's you guys opinion?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using xda app-developers app

Markor13

Jul 19, 2010
Las Vegas
I have rooted every Android I ever owned including ny Note 2... This is the only phone I have unrooted and went back to fully stock. I am very happy with the way this phone runs stock.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

sleepy8686

Feb 18, 2013
Detroit
I absolutely had in my mind I wasn't going to root etc. but im running the latest jedi rom and it is phenomenal!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

remmy925

Dec 31, 2006
There are some cool features tied in with touch wizard specific to our pen capability. If you go custom you may lose that. So I would look more at rooting like such. Do I want root to bypass tethering lockdown from the vendor or to make backups with Titainium? Do I really need to overclock or undervolt? Do a new ROM's features negate the potential loss of pen related features

Sent from my GT-N7105

zellroot

Dec 27, 2010
Im rooted running stock, tried jedirom 10 and had to pull the battery after every phone call. Still havent gotten an answer as to why this was happening. Went back to stock rooted and done with custom roms until this gets ironed out.....on a positive note, that jedi 10 with that kernel was flying and im very disappointed that I couldnt stick with it as it has awsome features.

safeplayer22

Jan 23, 2009
New York
Im rooted running stock, tried jedirom 10 and had to pull the battery after every phone call. Still havent gotten an answer as to why this was happening. Went back to stock rooted and done with custom roms until this gets ironed out.....on a positive note, that jedi 10 with that kernel was flying and im very disappointed that I couldnt stick with it as it has awsome features.

I was running stock rooted since I got my phone late last December. But today I finally decided to run a custom rom and jedi 10 was it. Flashed with no problems and do not see the problem you have. The rom is really nice. Here are some features I would suggest rooting for:

1. Free wifi tethering (it's a must for me since T-mobile charges $15 for me to use data that I'm already paying for).
2. Wifi calling (good option to have in case I do not have signals) - the jedi 10 rom offers this.
3. Multi-windown (any app) - a cool feature. I don't think I will use it much though. But it's good to use to show off.
4. Samsung keyboard with auto-correct. I wanted to keep the samsung keyboard so that I can use the s-pen sometimes. But the jedi rom has the auto-keyboard switcher embedded.

Last edited:

SAMOANBK47

Feb 22, 2013
Weed
??????

I rooted my phone I think but now I dont know what to do next! How do I pick a rom and where do I go to pick a rom or download one? Also what are kernals and overclicking?

Septembersrain

Mar 10, 2011
San Antonio
I was stock until about 3 days ago. I moved into the Jedi ROM. I used CWM, the non-touch version. I don't know if I'm old school or worried about a non responsive screen but eh.

Originally I'd just thought to stay stock and not rooted so I could get OTA'S. Though with a ROM, I'm already miles ahead of the game.

As another person stated, using the tethering has really been good for me. I'm paying $70 a month, $15 more for the hot spot would of been ridiculously overkill.

Also, I've never seen or witnessed a phone become so buttery smooth and perform so well. I'm happy. ^_^

Just make sure you do back ups through TiBu and do nandroids.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
I rooted, went to Jedi ROM, but had issues, like screen tearing, slow response (probably aggressive underclocking) and some other weirdness. Went to Tweaked ROM, and had to pull battery after using CNN app for 5 minutes. Also phone is very slow to wake. Turning screen off makes music player unusable. I think I should go to stock, but I would love to have TSM Parts thing on it. Wonder if there's a way to install it.

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
...Went to Tweaked ROM, and had to pull battery after using CNN app for 5 minutes. Also phone is very slow to wake. Turning screen off makes music player unusable. I think I should go to stock, but I would love to have TSM Parts thing on it. Wonder if there's a way to install it.

This would likely be better off reported in the Tweaked thread...
But, w/ the CNN freeze up (was this an app or website? Reading text or watching video/listening to audio?) was there any FC at all? What kernel were you using? What version of Tweaked were you running, and what sort of options did you have installed? A logcat of such an issue would be immensely helpful :) Also - were you charging the phone and have the MIUI battery bar active? On other phones I've experienced issues w/ video playback and that combo.
Turning screen off makes music player unusable - what do you mean? The long-press volume controls weren't working? The music stops? What app were you using to listen to music?
Very slow to wake - is there anything more specific you can offer here? Like an amount of time it takes to wake? That really shouldn't differ from stock at all - and there will always be a bit of lag there (though I never have anything more than a second or so).
And fwiw TSMParts is regrettably not an independently functional sort of apk. It requires a bunch of other edits throughout aspects of /system to actually work. But man that would be nifty :)

remmy925

Dec 31, 2006
Fyi...noting what I said before, I am currently running one of Tesh's rooted stock ROMs for the international version. I can run backups, do tethering (no carrier lockdown for international), and run another kernel if I wish. It also allows me to use some of the Exposed installer tweaks to keep the Note2 touchwiz benefits and still use things like per app resultions and all apps in multiwindow.

Sent from my GT-N7105

Meanee

Mar 24, 2008
This would likely be better off reported in the Tweaked thread...
But, w/ the CNN freeze up (was this an app or website? Reading text or watching video/listening to audio?) was there any FC at all? What kernel were you using? What version of Tweaked were you running, and what sort of options did you have installed? A logcat of such an issue would be immensely helpful :) Also - were you charging the phone and have the MIUI battery bar active? On other phones I've experienced issues w/ video playback and that combo.
Turning screen off makes music player unusable - what do you mean? The long-press volume controls weren't working? The music stops? What app were you using to listen to music?
Very slow to wake - is there anything more specific you can offer here? Like an amount of time it takes to wake? That really shouldn't differ from stock at all - and there will always be a bit of lag there (though I never have anything more than a second or so).
And fwiw TSMParts is regrettably not an independently functional sort of apk. It requires a bunch of other edits throughout aspects of /system to actually work. But man that would be nifty :)

I didn't really so a lot of troubleshooting. It was a CNN app. I pushed Back button from an article and got a black screen only with top bar active. Pushed power button, screen turned off. Then it stayed off. Had to do a battery pull. Not charging, no MIUI battery bar.

As for music, turning off the screen makes it stutter and slow down. Turning screen back on fixed the issue. I am guessing with screen off, clock rate is way too low to support music playback.

Very slow to wake could mean 2-3 seconds after I push the power or home button. Same thing with phonecalls. I can hear the phone ring but screen would stay black. 2-3 seconds later I can finally see who's calling.

I guess I can resolve most of these issues by tweaking clock rates, just wish I had time to read up on it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am on 1.4. Downloaded and flashed yesterday.

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
I didn't really so a lot of troubleshooting. It was a CNN app. I pushed Back button from an article and got a black screen only with top bar active. Pushed power button, screen turned off. Then it stayed off. Had to do a battery pull. Not charging, no MIUI battery bar.

As for music, turning off the screen makes it stutter and slow down. Turning screen back on fixed the issue. I am guessing with screen off, clock rate is way too low to support music playback.

Very slow to wake could mean 2-3 seconds after I push the power or home button. Same thing with phonecalls. I can hear the phone ring but screen would stay black. 2-3 seconds later I can finally see who's calling.

I guess I can resolve most of these issues by tweaking clock rates, just wish I had time to read up on it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am on 1.4. Downloaded and flashed yesterday.

Hmm... my thoughts:
- That may have just been wonkiness in the CNN app - not sure if anything I did could impact something in the way you described (but of course I could be wrong).
- Yeah that is way slow - and uncharacteristic from my experiences at least
- That plus the music issue makes me wonder - are you just using the stock kernel? If so you can't do much in the way of clock rate tweaking, but I also find it curious as I've heard little in the way of issues regarding the stock kernel.
- Did you do a full data wipe before installing?
Regardless - I am sorry to hear about the poor outcome - feel free to PM me if you want any suggestions/help troubleshooting. I'm not the best at it (especially remotely), but I'll try :)

Sorry for the off-topic stuff OP!

Jul 26, 2006
The question doesn't make sense.

Rooting just means you unlock the root account on the phone to have superuser access. This is required by some useful apps (ProxyDroid, Paragon NTFS & HFS+ which lets you mount any USB stick or hard drive using an OTG cable, backup programs...). You can very well keep the stock firmware and just root it, which is what I ended up doing on the Note II.
On my previous Galaxy S2 CM10 was working like a champ, so I figured I would try it on the Note II... I think at this point it's a total disaster and completely unusable, just not ready for prime time. Bluetooth is completely broken, the camera doesn't work, the video driver has problems, and most of all you lose a lot of the cool things you get with the stock firmware (multi-windows, stylus-specific features, etc...). Good enough if you're contributing to the ROM development and testing for bugs and missing features, but painfully not ready for prime time. The big problem is that you just don't know what feature will break next and will let you down right when you need it.
So for me, it's stock until CM10.1 goes RC. But of course I rooted it because I want to be able to use some apps that require rooting.
Note that some Samsung apps (Readers Hub) detect SuperSU and refuse to run. Uninstall SuperSU and use Superuser instead, and use Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to temporarily unroot the phone if you need to use them.

Top Liked Posts