[Q] Rezound - bricked or worse - looking for guidance (noob)

Search This thread

MilesTHD

Apr 17, 2012
So while trying to update to ICS my fingers were working faster than my brain (yes, it happens) and I selected a menu option while using Clockwork and, while I'm not sure, I think the option said something like, "format .. OS...something..." before I could fully read it (and stop my finger from pressing the power button), I pressed the power button.

The phone rebooted, got to the white HTC screen and stopped - stuck on the white HTC screen. I pulled the battery.

I Held down power and up-volume and got to the bootloader menu, selected recovery and Clockwork came up.

Couldn't "Recover" because it couldn't mount the SD card.

Couldn't mount the external SD card either.

Ok - tried a factory reset - Rebooted - up came the white HTC screen where it stays until I pull the battery.

I'm new at this (probably didn't need to say that, but...).

How Do I get past this point?

Is this phone agonner?

How do I load (anything) to the phone at this point?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it.

Last edited:

snowman122

Dec 25, 2008
houston
So while trying to update to ICS my fingers were working faster than my brain (yes, it happens) and I selected a menu option while using Clockwork and, while I'm not sure, I think the option said something like, "format .. OS...something..." before I could fully read it (and stop my finger from pressing the power button), I pressed the power button.

The phone rebooted, got to the white HTC screen and stopped - stuck on the white HTC screen. I pulled the batter.

I Held down power and up-volume and got to the bootloader menu, selected recovery and Clockwork came up.

Couldn't "Recover" because it couldn't mound the SD card.

Couldn't mound the external SD card either.

Ok - tried a factory reset - Rebooted - up came the white HTC screen where it stays until I pull the battery.

Is this phone agonner?

Try using adb commands from your computer to push a recovery to your phone and go from there

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: MilesTHD

wlmeng11

Apr 23, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
If it powers on, you're not bricked.

Are s-on or s-off?

Make sure you have a card reader for the following.
The best thing for you to do would probably to flash an RUU.
First, download the latest RUU.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ull-ruu-build-4-03-605-2-for-the-htc-rezound/

If you are s-on with unlocked boot loader, relock it:
Make sure there is no PH98IMG.ZIP on your sdcard. Delete if there is one.
Power off phone completely with battery pull.
Plug in phone to computer with USB.
Go to the bootloader menu with vol down + power.
Select fastboot.
On your computer, run the following fastboot command (do whatever you needed to do to use fastboot):
fastboot oem lock

After that is done, time to install the RUU.
Find the RUU you downloaded and put it on your sdcard, then rename to PH98IMG.ZIP
Put sdcard back, then power on to bootloader.
It should now scan for the PH98IMG and then ask you to install it.
Follow all the instructions to install it.

After you finish this, you will be back to the stock ROM with a locked boot loader.

If either s-off or s-on locked bootloader

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

MilesTHD

Apr 17, 2012
Rezound still major messed up

THANK YOU for your help, I really appreciate your response. I followed your instructions and once the PH98IMG.zip file was on the SD card I loaded bootloader and it did scan for the file, but said "no file or wrong file!" Well, the file is there so I know its not "no" file. I've tried a couple of different PH98IMG files that I found on XDA but I guess the specific file wasn't the problem.

After it gives the error message it simple goes back to the bootloader and waits.

Unlocking the bootloader and then following your instructions did result in the file being seen and, what appeared to be, the installation process beginning - however when the phone reboots for the first time it just goes quiet and never comes back up. I waited for at least 20 minutes before I decided it wasn't just a long boot process.

I"m pretty sure there is NOTHING on this phone. I've verified there's nothing on the SD card besides the PH98IMG.zip file. Assuming I've completely wiped out the OS (and it is not on the phone) is the method you've outlined the right starting point?

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Miles

Are s-on or s-off?

Select fastboot.
On your computer, run the following fastboot command (do whatever you needed to do to use fastboot):
fastboot oem lock

Find the RUU you downloaded and put it on your sdcard, then rename to PH98IMG.ZIP

After you finish this, you will be back to the stock ROM with a locked boot loader.

Neo

Moderator Emeritus / The One - ΠΣΘ
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
THANK YOU for your help, I really appreciate your response. I followed your instructions and once the PH98IMG.zip file was on the SD card I loaded bootloader and it did scan for the file, but said "no file or wrong file!" Well, the file is there so I know its not "no" file. I've tried a couple of different PH98IMG files that I found on XDA but I guess the specific file wasn't the problem.

After it gives the error message it simple goes back to the bootloader and waits.

Unlocking the bootloader and then following your instructions did result in the file being seen and, what appeared to be, the installation process beginning - however when the phone reboots for the first time it just goes quiet and never comes back up. I waited for at least 20 minutes before I decided it wasn't just a long boot process.

I"m pretty sure there is NOTHING on this phone. I've verified there's nothing on the SD card besides the PH98IMG.zip file. Assuming I've completely wiped out the OS (and it is not on the phone) is the method you've outlined the right starting point?

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas

Miles

If you are S-on and have an unlocked bootloader, you will need to relock it before attempting to flash an ruu. Once re-locked, ensure that the PH98IMG is not a zip file within a zip file which is how they are usually uploaded. Attempt to unzip the files until it will not unzip anymore. That file that won't unzip needs to be the one you rename as PH98IMG and placed on the root of your SD card. Reboot to bootloader and allow it to scan. It will ask you if you wish to proceed and you will allow it. After some time it will reboot back to bootloader to flash radios and the rest of firmware. After that process and a 2nd reboot you should he back to stock, locked, and unrooted.

Sent from my Rezound using xda premium

MilesTHD

Apr 17, 2012
zip file contents?

Maybe I should ask what the contents of the .zip file should be? I did check the zip to make sure it wasn't a double-zip. There were two versions of the PH98IMG file i tried. One had the file (imagemate-3.60.exe) the other had the file(s) (boot.img and android-info.txt).

I did "relock" the bootloader prior to trying and it would not recognize the file. When it was unlocked it would see it, start the install process, then go quiet. So that at least tells us that the file is there and likely workable.

I can't seem to get past the "No image or wrong image" message. I've tried on 3 different cards (the original and two fresh cards) and I've checked to ensure the zip is not a zip within a zip.

If you are S-on and have an unlocked bootloader, you will need to relock it before attempting to flash an ruu. Once re-locked, ensure that the PH98IMG is not a zip file within a zip file which is how they are usually uploaded. Attempt to unzip the files until it will not unzip anymore. That file that won't unzip needs to be the one you rename as PH98IMG and placed on the root of your SD card. Reboot to bootloader and allow it to scan. It will ask you if you wish to proceed and you will allow it. After some time it will reboot back to bootloader to flash radios and the rest of firmware. After that process and a 2nd reboot you should he back to stock, locked, and unrooted.

Last edited:

topgun1953

Nov 25, 2011
Charlotte
Maybe I should ask what the contents of the .zip file should be? I did check the zip to make sure it wasn't a double-zip. There were two versions of the PH98IMG file i tried. One had the file (imagemate-3.60.exe) the other had the file(s) (boot.img and android-info.txt).

I did "relock" the bootloader prior to trying and it would not recognize the file. When it was unlocked it would see it, start the install process, then go quiet. So that at least tells us that the file is there and likely workable.

I can't seem to get past the "No image or wrong image" message. I've tried on 3 different cards (the original and two fresh cards) and I've checked to ensure the zip is not a zip within a zip.

You should download that file from Android Police. It should have a 'bunch' of files in it. I"m not familiar with imagemate-3.60.exe but boot.img is just the kernel. Rename the file that you download to PH98img, (as previously stated) put it on a good SD card and boot into bootloader. It should go.

How about telling us if you are s-on or s-off. I don't see where you've answered that question:confused:. Also, if it doesn't work, tell us what your bootloader screen says. That will give us some info to help you.

Merry Christmas....I've got to go to bed before Santa shows up. :laugh::laugh:

EDIT: I just downloaded the Android Police file and as I said, it has a lot of files in it. I'm not sure what you were playing with but i likely the cause of you problem. Get the right file, name it ph98img.zip, put on root of SD, boot into bootloader (you're locked, right) and let it do its thing. good luck.

Last edited:

feralicious

Jun 9, 2011
City of Angels

One thing you need to know is that a PH98IMG file can be many things. It is only the name of a file that your phone looks for to use when booted into hboot. So it can be a kernel, an entire RUU (OS), a custom recovery or ROM... basically anything. It just means that item was packed into a PH98IMG file in order to run automatically off your SD card when the phone boots.

So you need to know what the PH98IMG file is that you are using or you might flash something you don't want that can possibly cause your phone to not work properly. In your examples above one is a kernel (boot.img) and I have no idea what imagemate-3.60.exe is. It sounds like you have not had the correct file.

Here is the global RUU you should run to get you back to stock with all the latest radios and firmware:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ull-ruu-build-4-03-605-2-for-the-htc-rezound/

You need to be locked to run it so if you are S-ON, which it sounds like you are (don't remember if you mentioned that before), you need to use fastboot from your pc to do that, just like you did when you unlocked it with this command:
fastboot oem lock

***If you are S-OFF you should be locked again from that process already. But if you are S-OFF then confirm with someone to be sure it's safe to run the RUU, there's something about not relocking if you are on a certain hboot or you can brick it or something...***

Then put the RUU on your SD card and reboot the phone. Let it run through the RUU a few times because apparently it needs to do it a few times to get all the system files. Afterwards, if you want to root again and flash a custom ROM you will need to unlock again and flash a custom recovery and reroot.

Last edited:

MilesTHD

Apr 17, 2012
It Works!

Not that I'm going to give you all the credit, because everyone kinda chipped in - however you DID provide the ONLY correct link to exactly what I needed! LORDY there are a lot of bad links being passed around. THANK YOU Ms. Feralicious, I totally appreciate your help.

... Everyone else as well - very generous with your knowledge and time and I will always love you. :D

Merry Christmas! Have a safe new year as well!

Miles

One thing you need to know is that a PH98IMG file can be many things. It is only the name of a file that your phone looks for to use when booted into hboot. So it can be a kernel, an entire RUU (OS), a custom recovery or ROM... basically anything. It just means that item was packed into a PH98IMG file in order to run automatically off your SD card when the phone boots.

So you need to know what the PH98IMG file is that you are using or you might flash something you don't want that can possibly cause your phone to not work properly. In your examples above one is a kernel (boot.img) and I have no idea what imagemate-3.60.exe is. It sounds like you have not had the correct file.

Here is the global RUU you should run to get you back to stock with all the latest radios and firmware:

You need to be locked to run it so if you are S-ON, which it sounds like you are (don't remember if you mentioned that before), you need to use fastboot from your pc to do that, just like you did when you unlocked it with this command:
fastboot oem lock

***If you are S-OFF you should be locked again from that process already. But if you are S-OFF then confirm with someone to be sure it's safe to run the RUU, there's something about not relocking if you are on a certain hboot or you can brick it or something...***

Then put the RUU on your SD card and reboot the phone. Let it run through the RUU a few times because apparently it needs to do it a few times to get all the system files. Afterwards, if you want to root again and flash a custom ROM you will need to unlock again and flash a custom recovery and reroot.

TommyJames

Dec 29, 2012
Followed these directions & update fails...Please help.

Have PH98IMG.zip on sd card.
Gets this far...

*** LOCKED ***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.11.0000
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1]...
...[18]
...start update?
<VOL UP>

Next to "[1] BOOTLOADER" "- Fail-PU"
And below [18]..., "Partition update fail!"
"Update Fail!"
"Press <POWER> to reboot."

It's an HTC Rezound I'm trying to get back to stock, Verizon.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Neo

Moderator Emeritus / The One - ΠΣΘ
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
It's locked which means it's never been unlocked and it's s-on. A simple factory reset within the rom itself will suffice

TommyJames

Dec 29, 2012
rut-row...running rezound reset from rom repeatedly ravaging me :-O

It's locked which means it's never been unlocked and it's s-on. A simple factory reset within the rom itself will suffice

When running rom, ...
"RUU_VIGOR_ICS_35_S_VERIZON_WWE_3.14.605.12_Radio_RS_1.22.10.0424r_3622A_MR3_9

K_release_270509_signed.exe" ...
ends in usb error 170...
Anyone having any pointers for me will be worshiped indefinately!

Thank-You and I'm-not-worthy, in advance,
Tom

Last edited:

TommyJames

Dec 29, 2012
screen shots

When running rom, ...

ends in usb error 170...

Tom

attached error window pic.

Attachments

• ruuuuuu.JPG
    ruuuuuu.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 90

feralicious

Jun 9, 2011
City of Angels
When running rom, ...

ends in usb error 170...

Tom
Not sure what you're trying to do there, run an RUU?

Did you try a factory reset from the settings of the phone as Neo suggested?
Settings > Storage > Factory data reset

But back up anything you want to save such as pics, settings, etc... it will wipe everything.

Reactions: Neo

TommyJames

Dec 29, 2012
same thing happens...

Have PH98IMG.zip on sd card.
Gets this far...

*** LOCKED ***
VIGOR PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.11.0000
eMMC-boot

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1]...
...[18]
...start update?
<VOL UP>

Next to "[1] BOOTLOADER" "- Fail-PU"
And below [18]..., "Partition update fail!"
"Update Fail!"
"Press <POWER> to reboot."

It's an HTC Rezound I'm trying to get back to stock, Verizon.

Any ideas?

same thing happens...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

fastboot oem lock

Are s-on or s-off?

Select fastboot.
    fastboot oem lock

Also, it could be possible that your phone can't recognize the sd card so it needs to be formatted.

The phone rebooted, got to the white HTC screen and stopped - stuck on the white HTC screen. I pulled the batter.

Couldn't "Recover" because it couldn't mound the SD card.

Couldn't mound the external SD card either.

Is this phone agonner?

Try using adb commands from your computer to push a recovery to your phone and go from there

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app