[APP][NO ROOT][ANDROID TV] Leanback Launcher for Fire TV

Search This thread

xhostluv

Apr 8, 2015
please in alpha 3 make an option to hide apps. and if you can make an option to change the wallpaper. Keep up the good working. Really nice project. It will be nice to have an update this year.

s99me

Dec 23, 2018
Leanback for Fire on Fire Stick 4K

Install test but not usable - Build steps for Leanback Launcher for Fire on Fire Stick 4K

Initial preparation (done from macOS)....

From terminal.....

Code:
brew install gradle
brew install maven
brew cask install android-platform-tools
brew cask install android-sdk

Download alpha2 repository as ZIP, then extract
Download alpha3 repository as ZIP, then extract

Remove from alpha3 extracted directory.....
  • com.google.android.leanbacklauncher_1.11.2-100-4443508-1011102100_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com (2).apk
  • com.google.android.leanbacklauncher_1.11.2-100-4443508-1011102100_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com (2)-dex2jar.jar

Copy Android.mk from alpha2 directory into alpha3.....

From terminal.....

Code:
export ANDROID_HOME="/usr/local/share/android-sdk"
sdkmanager –licences
cd /alpha3/path/goes/here/
./gradlew tasks
./gradlew assembleDebug

Code:
adb kill-server
adb connect x.x.x.x
adb devices
adb install /alpha3/path/goes/here/app/build/outputs/apk/debug/app-debug.apk
#adb logcat com.rockon999.android.leanbacklauncher:V

Perform crude workarounds for errors....

ERROR 1

On TV: “Cannot Open App – The installed version of Leanback Launcher cannot be opened. Please check for an available update on your library”.

On adb logcat (altered due to first posts rule): Could not find a launchable intent

Edit app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml to include <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/> prior to HOME and DEFAULT to the code below....

ERROR 2

On TV: Brief flash of Launcher for 1 second, then auto-close

On adb logcat (altered due to first post rule): WallpaperService not running, FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #2

Edit WallpaperInstaller.java crudely on the installWallpaper method with return; only

Have not currently identified which Play Services to sideload for Fire OS 6.2.5.8 (Android 7.1 Nougat), these appear to be:

Google Play Store (Android TV)
  • com.android.vending_12.4.69-xhdpi_8_PR_221346589-81246968_minAPI21(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(320dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Play services (Android TV)
  • com.google.android.gms_14.7.99_(080306-223214910)-14799069_minAPI19(armeabi-v7a)(213,320dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Services Framework
  • com.google.android.gsf_7.1.2-25_minAPI25(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Account Manager
  • com.google.android.gsf.login_7.1.2-25_minAPI23(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google app for Android TV
  • com.google.android.katniss_3.7.0.224661427-11000038_minAPI23(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1030sw

tbrar

Sep 22, 2010
Fire tv stick 3 support

Leanback Launcher is crashing on launching on my fire tv stick 3. Is it supported? If not can you please support it. I am attaching the logcat of the failure.

Attachments

• out.txt
    32.5 KB · Views: 48

davidjv

Jul 16, 2018
Install test but not usable - Build steps for Leanback Launcher for Fire on Fire Stick 4K

Initial preparation (done from macOS)....

From terminal.....

Code:
brew install gradle
brew install maven
brew cask install android-platform-tools
brew cask install android-sdk

Download alpha2 repository as ZIP, then extract
Download alpha3 repository as ZIP, then extract

Remove from alpha3 extracted directory.....
  • com.google.android.leanbacklauncher_1.11.2-100-4443508-1011102100_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com (2).apk
  • com.google.android.leanbacklauncher_1.11.2-100-4443508-1011102100_minAPI21(nodpi)_apkmirror.com (2)-dex2jar.jar

Copy Android.mk from alpha2 directory into alpha3.....

From terminal.....

Code:
export ANDROID_HOME="/usr/local/share/android-sdk"
sdkmanager –licences
cd /alpha3/path/goes/here/
./gradlew tasks
./gradlew assembleDebug

Code:
adb kill-server
adb connect x.x.x.x
adb devices
adb install /alpha3/path/goes/here/app/build/outputs/apk/debug/app-debug.apk
#adb logcat com.rockon999.android.leanbacklauncher:V

Perform crude workarounds for errors....

ERROR 1

On TV: “Cannot Open App – The installed version of Leanback Launcher cannot be opened. Please check for an available update on your library”.

On adb logcat (altered due to first posts rule): Could not find a launchable intent

Edit app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml to include <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER"/> prior to HOME and DEFAULT to the code below....

ERROR 2

On TV: Brief flash of Launcher for 1 second, then auto-close

On adb logcat (altered due to first post rule): WallpaperService not running, FATAL EXCEPTION: AsyncTask #2

Edit WallpaperInstaller.java crudely on the installWallpaper method with return; only

Have not currently identified which Play Services to sideload for Fire OS 6.2.5.8 (Android 7.1 Nougat), these appear to be:

Google Play Store (Android TV)
  • com.android.vending_12.4.69-xhdpi_8_PR_221346589-81246968_minAPI21(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(320dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Play services (Android TV)
  • com.google.android.gms_14.7.99_(080306-223214910)-14799069_minAPI19(armeabi-v7a)(213,320dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Services Framework
  • com.google.android.gsf_7.1.2-25_minAPI25(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google Account Manager
  • com.google.android.gsf.login_7.1.2-25_minAPI23(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Google app for Android TV
  • com.google.android.katniss_3.7.0.224661427-11000038_minAPI23(armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

How can you add the recommendations of leackbabk launcher?:confused:

tsynik

Dec 14, 2010
Has anymore progress been made on this launcher or has its dev abandoned the project altogether?
I updated source and fixed few bugs on this fork. It works without issues on FireTV 4K, but in case you want to enable android recommendations you need to be rooted. Only with root you can disable com.amazon.device.sale.service which prevent recommendations loading. But you can use this launcher with recommendations disabled on unrooted device. Current release v1.5.

Intenti0n

Nov 24, 2013
I updated source and fixed few bugs on this fork. It works without issues on FireTV 4K, but in case you want to enable android recommendations you need to be rooted. Only with root you can disable com.amazon.device.sale.service which prevent recommendations loading. But you can use this launcher with recommendations disabled on unrooted device. Current release v1.5.

Many thanks for reviving this.

Can you confirm what is the best way to apply this to the 4K firestick? Is it the launcher hijack method or do you have a better way?

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Also, would this work on the 2nd Gen Firetv Cube?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Leanback on Fire
    Android TV Launcher Ported to Fire TV

Source Code: https://github.com/leanback-on-fire/LeanbackLauncher

Project is continued at https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher, not supported by rockon999
    Releases: https://github.com/tsynik/LeanbackLauncher/releases (no longer offered by rockon999, forked releases)

1.jpg

(More screenshots are attached)

Tested on:
    - Fire TV Stick 2

Features:
    - Can open Bluetooth and WiFi settings without the stock launcher installed.
    - Opens notification center, notification settings, and displays the current amount of unread notifications.
    - Can display Amazon-downloaded apps in the store for easy updating and management.
    - Can open individual app's settings.
    - Can sort applications by categories (video, music, favorites, etc)
    - Stripped of all Google services (to prevent crashes!)

Limitations:
    - Recommendations were removed (unfortunately they are too unstable and unworkable without root, though I am exploring a method of adding them back into the launcher in Alpha 3)
    - As this is based on decompiled sources there are bugs that must be squashed
    - The uninstall button in edit mode is broken via the traditional Android TV method. Instead use the Fire TV app menu.
    - Also, the done button in edit mode is broken too. Simply use the back button on your remote :)

Basics:
    - The menu button will open up an app menu.
    - The edit favorites launcher in the settings row can be used to add apps you want easy access to. Press back to exit the selection screen.

Installation:
    - Install like any other APK over ADB. (adb install [path])
    - If you want the notification counter you need to execute the following command: "adb shell pm grant com.rockon999.android.leanbacklauncher android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS"
    - If you are on firmware 5.2.6 or lower you can disable the stock launcher. See this thread for more information. I don't recommend disabling all amazon features. Only OTA and com.amazon.tv.launcher.
    - You should install LauncherHijack v3 for a fully functioning home button.
    - If you want Google Search you'll need to install a specific version. 've found a working 2.x series version that is better looking, more stable, and much faster than the previous 1.x version. You can get the APK here. Note: The current version of Leanback on Fire may crash if you try to use the "microphone" orb to interact with the 2.x version. Always use the keyboard orb.
    A future version will remove the microphone orb. Unfortunately the latest version is incompatible but an older version works surprisingly well. I've found version 1.0.6.2108324 to be the most stable. You can download the APK here.

Notes:
    -The notification counter is still in its infancy and may not always function exactly.
    - The app must be restarted for WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS permission to take effect.
    - I'll be posted a full guide to the various Android TV APKs that function on Fire TV soon :) - The guide is posed in General
    Alpha 3 is coming soon (hopefully in a few days)... I still have some issues to fix (as is readily apparent in this screenshot). But on the plus side I've figured out how to get notifications working :)

HOzLu8Nl.jpg
    Did you get a chance to check?

I am on FireTV2 with latest update btw

It is working on my end but I'll wipe my system and try a clean startup. This should be (mostly) mitigated in Alpha 3 as Alpha 3 is based on Leanback 1.11.x instead of Leanback 1.1.x. 1.11.x has a complete database overhaul that should speed up the launcher and generally get rid of some of the annoying database glitches that 1.1.x has.

Also, as an update. I've got recommendations sorta working. Images sometimes load, sometimes don't. I won't have a lot of development time until Friday/Saturday though :)
    Latest source code commit was on 23 Feb, 4 months ago.

The Alpha 3 branch was created on 25 Mar, but still contains identical sources of Alpha 2, no new code.

That's a very long construction phase, but let's see what else @rockon999 is up to ;)

Hey all! It's not dead, but I've been without my Fire TV Stick since May (working on it, I promise). Actually Alpha 3 is significantly more stable and has numerous improvements over Alpha 2 and I was using it as a daily driver starting in late April. There are certainly bugs but it is rebased on a much newer leanback launcher and includes a ton of bug fixes. I'm going to try to finish packaging Alpha 3 soon. My actual work has been consuming a lot of development time though, so I won't make any promises. I did get recommendations fully working but it requires old firmware due to Amazon blocking.