[Q][Resolved] MX player and HEVC/H265 codec

Search This thread

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
The app can already play 4K video and HEVC. MX Player uses ffmpeg as a base decoder, so whatever ffmpeg can play, MX can play. Of course, 4K and HEVC support isn't optimal by anyone right now, so don't expect stellar results.

siwind

Dec 14, 2014
Expect hardware-decode of HEVC/X265

The app can already play 4K video and HEVC. MX Player uses ffmpeg as a base decoder, so whatever ffmpeg can play, MX can play. Of course, 4K and HEVC support isn't optimal by anyone right now, so don't expect stellar results.

When I play a 1080p vedio of HEVC/X265 movie with mxplayer 1.7.32, the player just only can play it using software decode, and the playing is very slowly.
I try to enable hw/+ mode but it failed to play.

So, expect that hard-decode can implement quickly~~~~
:p

vivan000

Oct 29, 2014
Saint-Petersburg
Well, I have Qualcomm 801 that should support HEVC decoding (at 1080p), but it doesn't work. MX can't use HW(+) on HEVC videos, and it's not even in the list that I can get using Android API (MediaCodecList).

It seems that even if you have chipset with HEVC support you still may need to wait for manufacturer to get it supported. So player developers can't do anything about it.

RashaMatt

Jul 5, 2010
you can solve the slow playing problem by going to this address on your phone : settings-developer settings - advanced settings - Enable OpenGL traces - systrace (graphics)
and its done , and your welcome :)

I tried this, but it made no difference. The video playback is still slow, and periodically the sound stops playing for a few seconds while the video catches up.

Leo_tm

Aug 8, 2012
Mistake

I tried this, but it made no difference. The video playback is still slow, and periodically the sound stops playing for a few seconds while the video catches up.

Yeah you're right it wasn't it
but i think it's supposed to be like this , i mean if you pay attention movies go slow when it's not that important , like when a conversation is going on it's good and when it ends and it shows for example "a house from a distance" it goes slow :) , you know what I meann ?!!!

warvevo

Apr 15, 2014
you can solve the slow playing problem by going to this address on your phone : settings-developer settings - advanced settings - Enable OpenGL traces - systrace (graphics)

Dumping or enabled trace, live log etc will slow down system. You must know what you are saying man!

andrei-b76

Oct 8, 2015
changed settings my Elephone P8000
phone : settings-developer settings - advanced settings - Enable OpenGL traces - systrace (graphics)
HEVC
now much smoother, but still slows :(

Reactions: NastyNasdaq

jlparsons2

Nov 5, 2012
I found setting the number of cores to use (in MX player's settings) to match the number of cores in my device processor worked. Video was very jumpy and audio/video sync failed before, now 265 plays perfect. (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8)

INF_11

Sep 25, 2017
If didnt work, try in MX player play with settings there, for example what works for me (lenovo tab yoga 3 pro) was: limit CPU core to 8, YUV colours, and use tricks for faster play -> any one from these not set = video playback fail, all of them = absolute superb (even in battery saving mode); so keep trying, the hope is there :)

patelDarshan

Jun 1, 2018
I tried everything above mentioned. I have OnePlus 2 and a custom RR 6.0 ROM, version of Android is 8.1. HEVC (×265) lag in mxplayer or any other player in my phone. So please someone give me solution for this. My phone has a SD 810 and SD 810 support HEVC but mxplayer doesn't use HW or HW+ at all it only use SW. So any developer develop any app that use HW to play ×265 or just they use software decoder for that.

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I tried everything above mentioned. I have OnePlus 2 and a custom RR 6.0 ROM, version of Android is 8.1. HEVC (×265) lag in mxplayer or any other player in my phone. So please someone give me solution for this. My phone has a SD 810 and SD 810 support HEVC but mxplayer doesn't use HW or HW+ at all it only use SW. So any developer develop any app that use HW to play ×265 or just they use software decoder for that.

Please collect a bug report from the help menu right after playing the file that has issues & share with us here. It may help us to understand the issue better.

patelDarshan

Jun 1, 2018
Please collect a bug report from the help menu right after playing the file that has issues & share with us here. It may help us to understand the issue better.
I want to attach a zip file of bug report but it shows bad request, I tried with separate file too. But it shows bad request. What should I do?
I can't share drive link too.

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I want to attach a zip file of bug report but it shows bad request, I tried with separate file too. But it shows bad request. What should I do?
I can't share drive link too.

Looks it's due to the post count limitations. But, you can still share the drive link by simply masking to prevent the URL detection.
eg: use h**p://www.google.com instead of http://www.google.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Learned how to solve the slow film problem

Well, I have Qualcomm 801 that should support HEVC decoding (at 1080p), but it doesn't work. MX can't use HW(+) on HEVC videos, and it's not even in the list that I can get using Android API (MediaCodecList).

It seems that even if you have chipset with HEVC support you still may need to wait for manufacturer to get it supported. So player developers can't do anything about it.
    I found setting the number of cores to use (in MX player's settings) to match the number of cores in my device processor worked. Video was very jumpy and audio/video sync failed before, now 265 plays perfect. (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8)
    Indeed, thank you vivan for the clarification!
    changed settings my Elephone P8000
    phone : settings-developer settings - advanced settings - Enable OpenGL traces - systrace (graphics)
    HEVC
    now much smoother, but still slows :(