[MOD][SWAP]Swap Internal SD card and External SD card of most of the Android™ device

Search This thread

Techno'CRACKS'

May 30, 2013
Hyderabad
This feature is now native in Android 6.0, just follow the below steps to turn External SD card into Internal storage on Marshmallow

1. Go to “Settings” --> then select “Storage”.
  2. Select SD Card and then tap the menu button on top-right corner or your native menu button and select “Settings” from there.
  3. Select “Format as Internal
  4. Select “Erase & Format”.
  5. Wait for some time as your SD card will be formatted.
  6. Reboot the device.

The below method no longer work on any of the new devices running KitKat and later. Please don't use this method anymore else you would mess up your storage system :eek:
EDIT: This doesn't seem to work on SAMSUNG devices so please don't try on them. This works on most of the MediaTek devices and few Sony devices. If you were able to successfully swap please mention your device name.Don't forget to read the warning.

Warning: Please do a complete CWM Backup of your device, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to original state. Please don't blame me if you forget to do a complete CWM Backup

I have a phone with me Xperia J and it has only 2 GB of Internal memory for apps but data for few HD games like NFSMW is 1.8 GB i.e nearly 2 GB and if I paste the data in external SD then it will not be detected, then how can we install and play these HD games on devices like these?

The only solution to this is swapping Android's external and internal SD cards so that I can get my SD card's size as internal memory.

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone, for bricked phones and dead sd cards. Try this on your own risk.

Then how can we do this?

Its very simple by modifying the code in vold.fstab file which is present in ext folder of Android's system folder.

This file so called vold.fstab has mounting information for the device to mount the SD cards so change the code to swap the SD cards so that ext_card will be mounted as sdcard and sdcard will be mounted as ext_card.

Note: This will work on any Android phone with internal and external SD cards.

Here is the procedure with an example I have done on Xperia J's vold.fstab file.

1. First of all your phone must be ROOTED, If its not then STOP here and get the Root first.

2. Download Root Explorer or any other such explorer which can explore root directory of device.

3. Navigate to system/etc folder mount it as rw(read/write).

4. There you will find vold.fstab file, copy it to your sdcard.

5. Then in your PC open the file in an Text Editor.

6. Find the lines like these,

Code:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/ext_card auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in those two lines.

8. Again navigate to system/etc change the name of the current vold.fstab file to vold.fstab.old (backup).

9. Paste the new edited vold.fstab file there and long press on it you will get a menu from there change the permissions to "rw_r_ _r_ _" this is important.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If you want to restore changes, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

All the best.

Last edited:

jsan6996

Jul 3, 2013
Great fix for common problem

But I need some help. When I open the text file on my PC I am not sure which lines to swap. Any assistance will be appreciated.I am attaching a copy of my text file. Thanks
I have a phone with me Xperia J and it has only 2 GB of Internal memory for apps but data for few HD games like NFSMW is 1.8 GB i.e nearly 2 GB and if I paste the data in external SD then it will not be detected, then how can we install and play these HD games on devices like these?

The only solution to this is swapping Android's external and internal SD cards so that I can get my SD card's size as internal memory.

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone and for bricked phones and dead sd cards.

Then how can we do this?

Its very simple by modifying the code in vold.fstab file which is present in ext folder of Android's system folder.

This file so called vold.fstab has mounting information for the device to mount the SD cards so change the code to swap the SD cards so that ext_card will be mounted as sdcard and sdcard will be mounted as ext_card.

Here is the procedure with an example I have done on Xperia J's vold.fstab file.

1. First of all your phone must be ROOTED, If its not then STOP here and get the Root first.

2. Download Root Explorer or any other such explorer which can explore root directory of device.

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in these two lines.

8. Again navigate to system/etc change the name of the current vold.fstab file to vold.fstab.old (backup).

9. Paste the new edited vold.fstab file there and long press on it you will get a menu from there change the permissions to "rw_r_ _r_ _" this is important.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If any thing goes wrong, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

Attachments

• vold.fstab.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 21,257
Reactions: manurdx

UltraGamerHD

Aug 15, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone and for bricked phones and dead sd cards.

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

11. If any thing goes wrong, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

Hi!

If it's not a problem can you modify my vold.fstab for me thanks.

My Device is a Sony Xperia E

Here is the link for my vold.fstab: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3wq6d5kr8wcy673/vold.fstab

edit: tried it manually nothing happens!

Last edited:

cptnkirk

Sep 10, 2013
Trying to swap external with internal on Sony Xperia Z

Hi there - I'm very new to this forum - and I have looked everywhere for a solution but cannot find it.

Sony Xperia Z - 6603 with Android version 4.2.2 - Build number 10.3.1.A.0.244

Problem: Want to change internal memory with 64GB external MicroSD card because I use to many applications on my phone and it constantly reports that it is running out of storage when installing more apps.
What have I tried so far: I've rooted the phone - and I've looked at the vold.fstab
Here is what it says in the file:

dev_mount ext_card /storage/removable/sdcard1
auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host
dev_mount usbdisk /storage/removable/usbdisk
auto /devices/platfrom/msm_hsusb_host

What do I have to change in this vold.fstab in directory /system/etc to make is swap my external SD card with the internal memory?
It does not show in the file that there is a /sdcard0 or even a /sdcard

Any help would be appreciated as I'm already been trying loads that all do not work - simply because they either only work with 4.2.1 or another builds.
If there is a thread that has already solved this problem then please direct me to that - again, I could not find it anywhere.

Thanks

FuTChY

Jun 11, 2012
Egypt - Cairo
Hi there - I'm very new to this forum - and I have looked everywhere for a solution but cannot find it.

Sony Xperia Z - 6603 with Android version 4.2.2 - Build number 10.3.1.A.0.244

Problem: Want to change internal memory with 64GB external MicroSD card because I use to many applications on my phone and it constantly reports that it is running out of storage when installing more apps.
What have I tried so far: I've rooted the phone - and I've looked at the vold.fstab
Here is what it says in the file:

What do I have to change in this vold.fstab in directory /system/etc to make is swap my external SD card with the internal memory?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm already been trying loads that all do not work - simply because they either only work with 4.2.1 or another builds.
If there is a thread that has already solved this problem then please direct me to that - again, I could not find it anywhere.

Thanks

Did you manage to swap storage with 4.2 yet ?

zohaib0001

May 3, 2011
Lahore
xdaforums.com
Here is what it says in the file vold.fstab

Thanks
I found same line in my Xperia Z1

Please tell us what is the coding for these kind of lines ?????

alscaul

Oct 5, 2013
i followed the guide but now my device won't lead, android boot screen is on for ages and it wont load up the system.

"11. If any thing goes wrong, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot."

Well i can't do that since my system wont load up and only thing i can do is go into recovery mode. Any tips how i can swap it back since i can't access the storage from intrnal sd or boot the phone? Did i brick the device?

Last edited:

justmalhar

Aug 29, 2013
Nagpur
i followed the guide but now my device won't lead, android boot screen is on for ages and it wont load up the system.

"11. If any thing goes wrong, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot."

Well i can't do that since my system wont load up and only thing i can do is go into recovery mode. Any tips how i can swap it back since i can't access the storage from intrnal sd or boot the phone? Did i brick the device?

Try doing a factory reset, if that doesn't work; flash a new ROM

zohaib0001

May 3, 2011
Lahore
xdaforums.com

you need to flash the old vold.fstab file through CWM recovery

just put the file in a flashable zip and flash it with cwm recovery

KStriker8

Oct 10, 2013
Help

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

I did exactly what you said with GT-N5110, rooted and running 4.2.2, and now when i boot it it gets stuck at the SAMSUNG glowing logo. I wiped all the data and that didnt work. Any suggestions???

Sundere

Oct 12, 2010
Richmond
I did exactly what you said with GT-N5110, rooted and running 4.2.2, and now when i boot it it gets stuck at the SAMSUNG glowing logo. I wiped all the data and that didnt work. Any suggestions???

You might have had your home launcher installed in your internal memory. Try calling yourself and see if the phone responds.

cicakoprol

Sep 25, 2013

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

I use ACER Liquid E2 , and I can not found line at step 7 could you help me ?

farhansh07

Sep 28, 2012
Want to change internal memory with 16GB external MicroSD card

Hello Team,

First of would like to thank you all for doing this great job.
i am following xda-developers.com since 3 years and more...
when i had my first android mobile.
Samsung Galaxy Y
Then moved to Samsung Galaxy S2
then Karbonn A9
Currently i am using my Sony Xperia M

i have followed your current forum, the only problem arouse here is when i try to mount the system/etc folder as read/write.
cellphone reboots (i understand it's required for better purpose)
however the mount permission doesn't change, it's still the same.
due to which i am not able to paste the edit vold.fstab file under system/etc folder.

Please help me on this, i would like to get this fix asap.
bcoz of which i can't play games on this.
I am missing my karbonn a9 :p
i used to play asphalt 7, NFS, Modern Combat 4, assassin's creed.

Regards,

Farhan.
farhanshaikh07@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

mrsureshisha

Sep 4, 2012
Chennai
OnePlus 6
Need help

Brother, I am using spice mi 425 mobile running on ICS version. The vold.fstab file is very different from your version. Please kindly look into it and check whether it can be modified, so that my external can be swapped into internal and vice verse..

Attachments

• vold.fstab.zip
    983 bytes · Views: 613

TheMahacker

Oct 22, 2013
I am very new at rooting and hacking android stuff..
But i really want to expand my 2gb internal storage to 16gb.

Sony Xperia E Single Sim C1505
So i tried to change the lines a few times.. but nothing happened :/
Here is my vold file.. could you please take a look at it, modify it and send it via PM back to me?
I would be really happy :> :D

Thanks guys :good:

Attachments

• vold.zip
    1,014 bytes · Views: 346
Last edited:

istillmyself

May 15, 2012
erm blur here..hope anyone here can help me to edit this ..vold.fstab from my s2 device

Last edited:

Gonomy2020

Nov 1, 2013
Help :( I messed up...

I edited my void.stf
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat (san@android.com)
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard /mnt/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host/mmc0
# dev_mount right_sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.2/mmc_host/mmc2

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

By changing sdcard auto into ext_card and
sdcard1 to sdcard 2 and vice versa but now :( I'm all messed up...

My phone is unable to detect my sdcard anymore :( what should I do :( help me please :(

Gonomy2020

Nov 1, 2013
help me please :">

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

Can you guys please edit it for me :">

Attachments

• vold.rar
    537 bytes · Views: 161

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This feature is now native in Android 6.0, just follow the below steps to turn External SD card into Internal storage on Marshmallow

1. Go to “Settings” --> then select “Storage”.
    2. Select SD Card and then tap the menu button on top-right corner or your native menu button and select “Settings” from there.
    3. Select “Format as Internal
    4. Select “Erase & Format”.
    5. Wait for some time as your SD card will be formatted.
    6. Reboot the device.

The below method no longer work on any of the new devices running KitKat and later. Please don't use this method anymore else you would mess up your storage system :eek:
    EDIT: This doesn't seem to work on SAMSUNG devices so please don't try on them. This works on most of the MediaTek devices and few Sony devices. If you were able to successfully swap please mention your device name.Don't forget to read the warning.

Warning: Please do a complete CWM Backup of your device, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to original state. Please don't blame me if you forget to do a complete CWM Backup

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone, for bricked phones and dead sd cards. Try this on your own risk.

Then how can we do this?

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
    dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/ext_card auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in those two lines.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If you want to restore changes, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

All the best.

Then how can we do this?

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG

10. Reboot the system.

All the best.

Worked for me..
    Great fix for common problem

But I need some help. When I open the text file on my PC I am not sure which lines to swap. Any assistance will be appreciated.I am attaching a copy of my text file. Thanks

Then how can we do this?

10. Reboot the system.

Replace sdcard with sdcard2 and viceversa in your vold.fstab

Sent from my Micromax A110 using xda app-developers app
    hope this helps. worked for me.

How to Use a Micro SD or SD Card as Internal Storage on Any Android Device: https://youtu.be/92aS5Nh7cFw
    Hit that like button!!
    Also a link to the app.