[Discussion] Is overclocking safe?

Search This thread

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Let's discuss, I don't know enough about it. But if the processor would overheat it could break right?

Last edited:

sysKin

Sep 10, 2013
Let's discuss, I don't know enough about it. But if the processor would overheat it could break right?

Do you mean "safe"? ("security" is about criminals hacking your phone, "safety" is about not damaging things or self).

I'd say it's like with PC overclocking - if you don't do anything crazy (like increasing voltages too much) then you're safe.

From what I can see, we can overclock our phones with voltages *lower* than stock, so that's as safe as it's going to be :)

There's also a related safety issue: if your phone crashes, its filesystem "might" become broken and the phone "might" not boot. I haven't seen that happening, but having a nandroid backup is just common sense.

Last edited:

TNCS

Feb 11, 2014
Yep, wrong term. Instead of 'secure' should change it to 'safe'.

Like overclocking in any environment, risk is involved. One has to weigh the pro and cons themselves. But, unless you want higher benchmark result or lagging in games - one doesn't need to overclock.

Aronuser

Mar 1, 2014
Berlin
Do you mean "safe"? ("security" is about criminals hacking your phone, "safety" is about not damaging things or self).

I'd say it's like with PC overclocking - if you don't do anything crazy (like increasing voltages too much) then you're safe.

From what I can see, we can overclock our phones with voltages *lower* than stock, so that's as safe as it's going to be :)

There's also a related safety issue: if your phone crashes, its filesystem "might" become broken and the phone "might" not boot. I haven't seen that happening, but having a nandroid backup is just common sense.

Yep, wrong term. Instead of 'secure' should change it to 'safe'.

Like overclocking in any environment, risk is involved. One has to weigh the pro and cons themselves. But, unless you want higher benchmark result or lagging in games - one doesn't need to overclock.

Thanks guys, well yeah i meaned "safe" sorry.