[Q] Unusual Wifi battery usage?

Search This thread

superhyper

Dec 4, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed a few other posters have indicated that wifi makes up an unusually large amount of their Prime's battery drain. Personally I'm seeing anywhere between 60-90% of battery usage being attributed to Wifi. Do we know if there are any commonalities in these cases? I'm on a fully stock .21 build with a C3 series Prime, and my battery life has in general not been amazing (6-8 hours off-dock MAX). Anyone else seeing similar outcomes?

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
Yep, there are quite a few threads about this already ;)

The wifi power consumption is absolute insane. With wifi off the battery last as advertised... but with bt or wifi..... well...

Wish there was a way to select how much power we want to assign to the wifi as i have seen in another phones.

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
Im having similar issues, on and off.

Recently, Ive been messing around with new roms and and kernels and found out tinkering here and there that when the tablet is put to sleep, its supposed to go into deep sleep, this being what makes the tab super battery efficient when its sleeping

A quick test to see if its going to deep sleep is to download Cpu Spy free from the market, start it, go to options (top right) reset timers to get a fresh reading, put tab to sleep for 10 -20 secs, then turn on, go back to Cpu Spy, options Refresh. You should have a listing for deep sleep, which will tell you that deep sleep is at least working.

Every now and again i would test this, found out that sometimes deep sleep would not initiate, normally its ok straight after reboot, but after ive been using the tab (mind you, not always), and test deep sleep, i find that the tab would stay on a low clock speed rather then deep sleep, well 'low' being a relative term, i mean at some points, the tab wouldnt go below 475mhz even when idle.

When idle, ideally, the tabs if not doing anything intensive in the background, SHOULD go to the lowest CPU state, 102mhz, i think there is something, either system related or app related, thats forcing our primes to run at higher clock speeds and in some cases its not letting our primes go into deep sleep

I think using cpu spy, is a good tool to figure out what that might be, restart your tab, before doing anything, establish that your tab can go to deep sleep while sleeping and uses the lower cpu speeds when idle, and then test it everynow and again, if the issues come back, and you see a connection between a certain app or certain setting you've been using let someone know, chances are, it could be our culprit, in this case the best way to fix something is to find out what needs fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: superhyper

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
I have already checked forDeepSleep issues but I have none, my tablet sleeps like it should and when turned off use very little energy... but man once it starts transfering data the battery goes to hell hehe (Music streaming, WebSurfing. anything that uses internet).

The battery used by WiFi is more evident when using the Prime in Eco Mode with the light turned all the way down, 80-90% is from WiFi :/

Changing the Policy to disconnect while the screen turns off just does noting for me, since I like I said before, it only uses so much power when transfering any kind of data.

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
I have already checked forDeepSleep issues but I have none, my tablet sleeps like it should and when turned off use very little energy... but man once it starts transfering data the battery goes to hell hehe (Music streaming, WebSurfing. anything that uses internet).

The battery used by WiFi is more evident when using the Prime in Eco Mode with the light turned all the way down, 80-90% is from WiFi :/

Changing the Policy to disconnect while the screen turns off just does noting for me, since I like I said before, it only uses so much power when transfering any kind of data.

Thanks for the info.
Just to get our ducks in order, do you test with CPU Spy after you have messed around with the tab, without closing or shutting down anything?

Most of the time, mine works as it should when 102mhz and deep sleep is concerned, but on occasion after playing around with it, i find that deep sleep wont initiate and the lowest clock speed would be 475mhz 370mhz, its as if somethings hanging up the system, not allowing it to initiate lower more battery friendly settings

At the time i was using virtuous prime with motleys kernel with the script specific for virtuous prime, that combination was not allowing lower clock speeds at all regardless what i closed or even a reboot, im now in the process of reinstalling virtuous prime with stock kernel as vanilla as i can make it, as a base rom with all my apps ready, and it seems to be doing what its suppose to be doing, CPU wise.
Gonna get the rom just the way i like it and nand backup, before i reinstall motleys kernel again to see if it improves the battery with its under volt features, this time im gonna wipe davlak and cache see if that makes a difference

Im constantly using eco mode, so thanks for that observation, will definitely keep that in mind when im testing

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart
Yep, what I do almost every day is reset CPU Spy stats when disconnecting my tab from the power so I can have an accurate read of the whole day.

Deep sleep working, CPU scales down to 102MHz like it should.

WiFi is like a black hole of energy when transferring data hehe, wifi on with only chat client and my email and Widgets synced uses almost no power... downloading anything, web browsing, music streaming eats the battery :(

superhyper

Dec 4, 2007
My tablet also seems to go into deep sleep just fine (at least a few small tests indicate that it does). I'm having the same results as Zephyrot though, if I'm doing something that uses the data connection much it just hammers the battery. It's odd that I can play GTA III with settings turned all the way up for 3 hours and have it use less power than lightly browsing the web for an hour. Do you guys have C3 or C2 models ? I'm curious if the changes they made might have some influence on this problem.

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
My tablet also seems to go into deep sleep just fine (at least a few small tests indicate that it does). I'm having the same results as Zephyrot though, if I'm doing something that uses the data connection much it just hammers the battery. It's odd that I can play GTA III with settings turned all the way up for 3 hours and have it use less power than lightly browsing the web for an hour. Do you guys have C3 or C2 models ? I'm curious if the changes they made might have some influence on this problem.

For reference im on C2, but im in the phase of testing some roms and kernels(recently unlocked to try Cornerstone Rom) so my testing results are gonna be all over the place until i find the best performance/battery rom and kernel, untill then im gonna be doing basic short term tests, untill i settle down, so as far as my personal findings are concerned, take em with a grain of salt

Zephyrot

Dec 29, 2008
Stuttgart

Exactly my experience, Asphalt 6HD uses less battery than wifi!

C20 Prime here.

casey225

Apr 18, 2012
Since .21 update my battery life is crap! I can have fully charged tablet and dock, leave it overnight and next morning dock is completely drained and tablet has lost 5-10%. I thought it was wifi issue at first, but have tried several times in airplane mode and still have same result. After reading this, I will try cpuspy and see if it is a deep sleep issue. I cannot tell you how much I regret "upgrading" to .21, which I did accidentally and lost root in the process. Man, I wish this device had a do-over button!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Im having similar issues, on and off.

Recently, Ive been messing around with new roms and and kernels and found out tinkering here and there that when the tablet is put to sleep, its supposed to go into deep sleep, this being what makes the tab super battery efficient when its sleeping

A quick test to see if its going to deep sleep is to download Cpu Spy free from the market, start it, go to options (top right) reset timers to get a fresh reading, put tab to sleep for 10 -20 secs, then turn on, go back to Cpu Spy, options Refresh. You should have a listing for deep sleep, which will tell you that deep sleep is at least working.

Every now and again i would test this, found out that sometimes deep sleep would not initiate, normally its ok straight after reboot, but after ive been using the tab (mind you, not always), and test deep sleep, i find that the tab would stay on a low clock speed rather then deep sleep, well 'low' being a relative term, i mean at some points, the tab wouldnt go below 475mhz even when idle.

When idle, ideally, the tabs if not doing anything intensive in the background, SHOULD go to the lowest CPU state, 102mhz, i think there is something, either system related or app related, thats forcing our primes to run at higher clock speeds and in some cases its not letting our primes go into deep sleep

I think using cpu spy, is a good tool to figure out what that might be, restart your tab, before doing anything, establish that your tab can go to deep sleep while sleeping and uses the lower cpu speeds when idle, and then test it everynow and again, if the issues come back, and you see a connection between a certain app or certain setting you've been using let someone know, chances are, it could be our culprit, in this case the best way to fix something is to find out what needs fixing.