[Q] ADB error: device unauthorized and device offline

Search This thread

hashworks

Jul 17, 2012
hashworks.net
I'm currently getting some strange errors while trying to control my N4 over adb.

http://prntscr.com/1km24i

On Ubuntu I get "device unauthorized" and on Windows 8 I get "device offline".
Same thing happens over USB.

Any idea?

PS: I'm currently on 4.2.2. I where on 4.3 yesterday but installed 4.2.2 again after some strange errors.

Reactions: lahirukkk

ksilver89

Feb 8, 2012
Kajang
I'm currently getting some strange errors while trying to control my N4 over adb.

Any idea?

PS: I'm currently on 4.2.2. I where on 4.3 yesterday but installed 4.2.2 again after some strange errors.

As the message have stated, you need to allow the adb access on your phone.

You need to first connect the phone to your PC with USB cables, then the authorization message will pop out on the screen. Tick remember your choice, then allow it.

hashworks

Jul 17, 2012
hashworks.net

You need to first connect the phone to your PC with USB cables, then the authorization message will pop out on the screen. Tick remember your choice, then allow it.

I'm not getting any message.
Maybe because I already authorized my pc before. A few weeks ago adb worked just fine.

usafle

Nov 8, 2010
Newburgh
Lenovo P11
I just got my phone back from LG (the mainboard "Fried"). I have the new update pushed to the phone. I have to re-root the phone now as its basically a new phone.

I am getting the Device offline as well message in ADB. As I don't have root, how can I fix this error? I can't navigate to that particular directory. I had no authotization message show up on my computer when I plugged the phone in for the first time... so not sure how to get past this...

ksilver89

Feb 8, 2012
Kajang
I just got my phone back from LG (the mainboard "Fried"). I have the new update pushed to the phone. I have to re-root the phone now as its basically a new phone.

I am getting the Device offline as well message in ADB. As I don't have root, how can I fix this error? I can't navigate to that particular directory. I had no authotization message show up on my computer when I plugged the phone in for the first time... so not sure how to get past this...

This shouldn't be happening on new phone, because the key won't be created if you haven't authorized it.

Can you check your adb version? Try updating it with android sdk manager.

usafle

Nov 8, 2010
Newburgh
Lenovo P11
I am going to try and re-download the ADB SDK. I think it's an issue with whatever version I downloaded. I've tried to run the ADB Manager.exe and nothing happens. Currently flying to London so it will have to wait until I get back. Nice of LG to fix my phone and they didn't charge me a dime. Although I did lose everything.

legalbrr2

Jul 30, 2012
Londrina
Hello,

I'm having the same problem "Please check the confirmation dialog on your device", but there is no such dialog on the device.

Things I tried and DID NOT SOLVE:
1) Remove /data/misc/adb/* - Failed, there was nothing there (full wipe before flash a new rom)
2) Try different ROMs - Failed, tried AOKP Milestone 1 and 2 and CM10. Dialog never showed up.
3) Try different usb cable OR usb port - Failed, adb is recognized, but no confirmation dialog on the device (device shows as unauthorized)
4) Removed all drivers and installed them again - Failed, same problem;
5) Updated android-sdk (or full delete and reinstall [remembering to adb kill-server]) - Failed, problem continues even with platform-tools up-to-date.
6) Removed all folder C:\Users\Myself\.android - Failed, it was never recreated;
7) Tried to connect via adb over wifi, device is found but unauthorized persists;

Things that gave me some clues:
1) Reboot to recovery mode allowed me to use ADB without any authorization (only while in recovery);
2) Recovery sideload works without any problem;
3) HOWEVER, when connecting to another computer (Windows XP, fresh install on a virtual machine), dialog appears and adb works!

The scenario:
1) Devices tried: Galaxy Nexus / Galaxy S3 I9300
2) ROMs tried: AOKP (4.2.2) / CM10 (4.2.2)
3) Windows 7 x64

The problem is on the computer side, that's a fact. However, I would like to SOLVE it without having to reformat my computer, or change my OS.
Where to start?

Thanks!

maxrfon

Nov 30, 2004
Hello,

I'm having the same problem "Please check the confirmation dialog on your device", but there is no such dialog on the device.

1) Remove /data/misc/adb/* - Failed, there was nothing there (full wipe before flash a new rom)
2) Try different ROMs - Failed, tried AOKP Milestone 1 and 2 and CM10. Dialog never showed up.
3) Try different usb cable OR usb port - Failed, adb is recognized, but no confirmation dialog on the device (device shows as unauthorized)
5) Updated android-sdk (or full delete and reinstall [remembering to adb kill-server]) - Failed, problem continues even with platform-tools up-to-date.
6) Removed all folder C:\Users\Myself\.android - Failed, it was never recreated;
7) Tried to connect via adb over wifi, device is found but unauthorized persists;

1) Reboot to recovery mode allowed me to use ADB without any authorization (only while in recovery);
3) HOWEVER, when connecting to another computer (Windows XP, fresh install on a virtual machine), dialog appears and adb works!

The scenario:
3) Windows 7 x64

The problem is on the computer side, that's a fact. However, I would like to SOLVE it without having to reformat my computer, or change my OS.
Where to start?

Thanks!

Make sure to use the latest ADB executable, also check if you don't have any other adb.exe in your computer, from command promt: where adb.exe

johnny_bgoode

Jan 15, 2010
Doesn't work yet..

Tried to delete "C:\Users\Myself\.android" and "Documents\.android".
Did a full search on filesystem, and found no other .android folders.

Thanks anyway.

After removing your .android directories, you need to restart the adb server to send fresh credentials to the phone.

First unplug the phone from your computer, then run:
Code:
$ adb kill-server
$ adb start-server

Now plug your phone back in and you should see a dialog on the device asking to confirm new credentials for your computer.

After confirming the credentials you should be able to connect to your device.

socialdtk

Jan 15, 2014
I hope that this helps...

Hello,

The scenario:
3) Windows 7 x64

Where to start?

Thanks!

I know that this post is old, but I came across the same problem while attempting to root my Galaxy S4 today. This ended up being the solution:

1. Grant yourself root access on the PC that is running adb

2. Remove RSA Keys:
rm /home/username/.android/*

3. Restart adb server:
adb kill-server
adb start-server

I hope that this helps.

spotrevoc

Sep 1, 2013
SOLVED!

I guess I should have read the previous post before I posted this but anyway maybe this helps.

I had this happen to my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 running 4.3 (VRUEM2K) after I rooted using saferoot, then removed the SuperSU app using SuperSU's so-called "safely unroot" menu option. It will no longer request the RSA key from the Ubuntu system I previously authorized (and used to root) and won't re-root using saferoot or motochopper. But since I dual-boot Windows 7 (I hardly use it, came with the laptop), I figured I'd give Odin a try and re-flash it to stock which didn't do anything to the "custom" flag and I still got "unauthorized" in adb in Ubuntu, but I noticed it does show up fine with adb in Windows. I tried the windows verison of saferoot and it was able to re-root my phone and re-install SuperSU just fine. Phone still showed "unauthorized" in Ubuntu.

After posting this I saw the previous comment saying to rm -rf ~/.android/ in Ubuntu. I also cleared all previously authorized computers and disable dev mode on my phone, rebooted, turned dev mode back on, rebooted again. Not sure if this helped, but I went through the following steps as root:

root@comput0r:~# adb kill-server
root@comput0r:~# adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
15506b89 unauthorized

At this point I pretty much said "F it, not gonna work" and walked away to get a snack, leaving my phone plugged in. I was only gone a couple minutes and when I came back, the RSA authorization request had popped up on my phone. I checked the box to always allow this computer and authorized it. Then SUCCESS, as seen below:

root@comput0r:~# adb devices
List of devices attached
15506b89 device

Removing the .android directory seemed to do it, but you need to wait a few minutes for the computer to re-request the RSA key.

Last edited:

HtcEvo4gLTE

Aug 27, 2012
after a week of searching. I NEVER KNEW it pop to accept to authorized. WOW cant believe it... after reading this thread im lol'ding right now.

tsatomas

Feb 5, 2012
Athens
I had tried to kill adb etc but keep saying aunauthorized. solution was to reboot my phone with usb connected,after boot it the dialog to connect appear and my s4 got authorized. backup success.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not getting any message.
    Maybe because I already authorized my pc before. A few weeks ago adb worked just fine.

Remove /data/misc/adb/adb_key, reboot your phone and try connect again. The message should come up.
    Doesn't work yet..

Tried to delete "C:\Users\Myself\.android" and "Documents\.android".
    Did a full search on filesystem, and found no other .android folders.

Thanks anyway.

After removing your .android directories, you need to restart the adb server to send fresh credentials to the phone.

First unplug the phone from your computer, then run:
    Code:
    $ adb kill-server
    $ adb start-server

Now plug your phone back in and you should see a dialog on the device asking to confirm new credentials for your computer.

After confirming the credentials you should be able to connect to your device.

Any idea?

Hello,

The scenario:
    3) Windows 7 x64

Where to start?

Thanks!

Make sure to use the latest ADB executable, also check if you don't have any other adb.exe in your computer, from command promt: where adb.exe
    Hello,

The scenario:
    3) Windows 7 x64

Where to start?

Thanks!