Get rid of these on screen buttons?

Search This thread
wow I"m suprised by the hate for the soft keys. They were the big reason I upgraded from the M7.

It's not a hate for soft keys. It's a complete hate on HTC for basically putting a huge space for capacitive buttons but saying F you and just leaving empty valuable screen space

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
It's not a hate for soft keys. It's a complete hate on HTC for basically putting a huge space for capacitive buttons but saying F you and just leaving empty valuable screen space

the thing you are missing here is... that area is not wasted screen space. it was never screen space, it isnt the screen down there. Yes it is black and looks like the screen but the screen ends right below the on screen buttons, above the HTC logo. If they painted it silver would that make you happy? You've posted 20 times about how mad you are and that this phone is a disaster etc... Why? it is by no means a disaster and your mis understanding of the display is causing you grief. Just buy the phone and enjoy it. There is no wasted screen space, that isnt a screen down there, its just a black bezel.

matt95

Aug 8, 2010
Milan
I hope someone out there figures out how to get rid of these on screen buttons, what a waste of space.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You can't completely remove them, the reasons are obvious but you could hide them while you're not using them... This will probably be implemented in some ROMs

Nugzo, that's nice of you to try and stick up for HTC. How come on the beautiful HTC one there is not bezel on the bottom? The truth is you don't know why so don't try and defend. I own many phones and enjoy them. Please don't let my opinion make you come up with fake explanations. Relax and enjoy your phone
FYI... IT IS completely wasted valuable screen real estate

Last edited:

hlxanthus

Jun 10, 2011
There are very simply edits to framework-res that can change the navbar height. Stock height is 48dpi. 42 dpi on most devices is about as short as you want to go and have them still function. Set it to zero to remove it for that matter. Just make sure you have some other way to control your device. I know there are apps to give you that control.

Of course this will require root at the very least.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

ThePhoneGeek

May 13, 2012
An Undisclosed Location
the thing you are missing here is... that area is not wasted screen space. it was never screen space, it isnt the screen down there. Yes it is black and looks like the screen but the screen ends right below the on screen buttons, above the HTC logo. If they painted it silver would that make you happy? You've posted 20 times about how mad you are and that this phone is a disaster etc... Why? it is by no means a disaster and your mis understanding of the display is causing you grief. Just buy the phone and enjoy it. There is no wasted screen space, that isnt a screen down there, its just a black bezel.

For me it's disappointing that they kept the logo at the bottom. If they were going to go with on screen buttons and all that's great but they should have removed that part.

Perhaps as development takes off one of the items that can be done is to remove the dock and shift the buttons down. I don't use the dock much and could live without it.

I am waiting a bit to buy mine just to see where the developer community takes this device. I am sure I am a buyer in a month or two but just not impressed enough to run out and buy day 1, week 1, month 1.

MG

Icyman

Apr 17, 2010
Richmond
you sound like a spoiled brat

Who cares about the buttons. I'm sure they had a good reason, maybe space limitations, maybe they got on the band wagon, I don't know but...

We finally have a Micro SDXC slot. So go buy an S4 or better yet wait for the S5 which is going to be great according to all their marketing hype.

Regards,
GFY

Who cares about the buttons. I'm sure they had a good reason, maybe space limitations, maybe they got on the band wagon, I don't know but...

We finally have a Micro SDXC slot. So go buy an S4 or better yet wait for the S5 which is going to be great according to all their marketing hype.

Regards,
GFY

That's good to know you are so happy with the micro SD card slot and you are making excuses as to why there is so much wasted space. You are easy to please. Enjoy!

xShin

Oct 22, 2010

The space wasn't put there for capacitive buttons, it was put there because there is hardware sitting there inside the phone. Due to the hardware that's there, they weren't able to put a capacitive strip there, which is why the buttons have been moved to on-screen buttons. Of course, if you really wanted the capacitive buttons, they could've given you that, but then increased the bezel size and therefore, the entire phone.

I initially didn't like the setup either, but I've gotten over it and it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the phone in any way.

nugzo

Apr 20, 2010
Fayetteville, NC.
www.capefearcomputer.com
Nugzo, that's nice of you to try and stick up for HTC. How come on the beautiful HTC one there is not bezel on the bottom? The truth is you don't know why so don't try and defend. I own many phones and enjoy them. Please don't let my opinion make you come up with fake explanations. Relax and enjoy your phone

Its not fake dude lol. there is a schematic of the phone in another thread, the digitizer is where the black HTC strip and logo is. In order to change that design, they would have to lose the front facing speakers. and again it is not wasted screen real estate, it isnt a screen. it is used for the digitizer. In order for it to be wasted screen real estate, it would have to be part of the screen, It is not. maybe you can consider it wasted front panel real estate, but not screen, because it isnt the screen there.

subhumanderelict

Dec 3, 2007
Chicago, Il
maybe you can consider it wasted front panel real estate, but not screen, because it isnt the screen there.

I think this is what he, and several others, are upset about. The M8 has a lower screen-to-surface area ratio than something like the LG G2. I'm sure the area under the logo bar is being used for electronics, but would've been nice to see this area reduced because it is not functional space for the user like the screen or speakers. The M7 made use of this space by incorporating capacitive buttons to leave the screen more free.

On the other side of things, I still don't l don't like giving up any real estate on my screen. However, there's a relatively easy fix that I use on my Nexus 7: GMD Auto Hide Soft Keys. It makes the screen completely clear of the soft keys during normal use, but you just need to swipe up from the bottom to get them back in any app. You can even customize the area that you swipe up from (position, size, etc...).

EDIT:

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmd.hidesoftkeys
Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

riz157

May 23, 2008
London
I personally hate the wasted real estate worst feature about the phone. I'm a massive HTC fan but it was a mistake to waste space with just logo.
Still prefer this over the other phones the only exception could be Xperia z2 just have to wait and see.

Traceamount

Jul 20, 2010
OKC, OK
Is the bezel as noticeable after using the phone a few days?

I don't notice mine at all

I personally hate the wasted real estate worst feature about the phone. I'm a massive HTC fan but it was a mistake to waste space with just logo.
Still prefer this over the other phones the only exception could be Xperia z2 just have to wait and see.

Like has been said in several threads, including this one, there is HARDWARE under the strip... Its not "wasted".

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
Gmd sort of works but u have to manually toggle it on and off after each reboot

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

wow I"m suprised by the hate for the soft keys. They were the big reason I upgraded from the M7.

The space wasn't put there for capacitive buttons, it was put there because there is hardware sitting there inside the phone. Due to the hardware that's there, they weren't able to put a capacitive strip there, which is why the buttons have been moved to on-screen buttons. Of course, if you really wanted the capacitive buttons, they could've given you that, but then increased the bezel size and therefore, the entire phone.

I initially didn't like the setup either, but I've gotten over it and it hasn't hindered my enjoyment of the phone in any way.