[Q] Only pen works after installing TWRP

Search This thread

cycloneus

Oct 21, 2010
I purchased an AT&T SGH-i717 and was told everything worked. When I checked it out, everything seemed fine too. After using it for a couple hours I realized it just seemed to reboot at random. I rebooted into recovery and did a factory reset and wiped the cache. After rebooting it...it would get stuck at the AT&T screen. I then installed the latest stock rom 4.4.2 using Odin and it booted up fine but I got the no sim card error. I put in an AT&T sim card and rebooted but got a sim not provisioned error. I then tried a T-Mobile card and I didn't get the error and it showed signal bars but when I tried to dial it said emergency calls only. I tried a Verizon sim card just to see what kind of error I would get but it was just the same as the T-Mobile sim. I thought it might a corrupted rom so I tried installing the latest nightly CyanogenMod using CWM but got error status 7. I then tried various custom and stock roms including AOKP, BeanStalk, and several different versions of CyanogenMod but always got the same error status 7 msg. I then came across a forum posts stating that CWM no longer works for the SGH-i717. I downloaded the latest TWRP touch recovery and was able install the latest stable CyanogenMod but it would not boot past the animated CyanogenMod logo even after sitting for over an hour. At that point I gave up and decided to just go back to the stock rom. I rebooted into TWRP and the slide to unlock would not work anymore. I had to install CWM using Odin which allowed me to flash back to the stock 4.4.2 rom. After doing another factory reset and wiping the cache then rebooting...the touch screen stopped working. I then flashed it back to the stock 4.0.4 rom but the touch screen still does not work. While trying to figure out what happened I realized the pen still works and touch screen buttons on the bottom but thats it. Also the pen only works on the screen and not on the touch screen buttons. I've been messing with this for 3 days and will probably just sell it for parts but wanted to post this problem so if anyone else had this problem they would know what I've already tried. I did also take apart the phone and clean the connections but that didn't help either.

If anyone has a suggestion for something I haven't tried...please let me know. My last attempt will be install the Padawan JB rom from this post:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1907203

Thanks

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
Right out of tge gate, there is no stock 4.4.2 for this device. Not official anyway. 4.1.2 is official OS.

Status 7 means your recovery needs updating.
CWM does work and the newest CWM touch is just dandy.

I would try going all the way back. You need to be totally clean.
Factory
Cache
Davlik
Format

Go to Kies and go with emergency firmware recovery.
Get back to stock and see what is working.

Clean clean clean, the best way for anyone to help you. You would be at the best starting point.

Maybe do a little reading as many of your issues have been documented and solved. None of them are major.

Start from scratch and folks can get you running again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

cycloneus

Oct 21, 2010
Right out of tge gate, there is no stock 4.4.2 for this device. Not official anyway. 4.1.2 is official OS.

Status 7 means your recovery needs updating.
CWM does work and the newest CWM touch is just dandy.

I would try going all the way back. You need to be totally clean.
Factory
Cache
Davlik
Format

Go to Kies and go with emergency firmware recovery.
Get back to stock and see what is working.

Clean clean clean, the best way for anyone to help you. You would be at the best starting point.

Maybe do a little reading as many of your issues have been documented and solved. None of them are major.

Start from scratch and folks can get you running again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda app-developers app

Thanks for replying...I hadn't used Kies in awhile becuase it never seemed to work right. I downloaded the latest version and it looks like they made a lot of improvements. I did the factory restore and wiped the cache then installed the latest firmware thru Kies. Everything seemed to work fine but after rebooting the touch screen doesn't work at all, not even with the pen. The touch screen buttons seem to still work but its stuck at the AT&T Ready2go screen because I can't hit cancel or get started buttons.

Thanks

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
Thanks for replying...I hadn't used Kies in awhile becuase it never seemed to work right. I downloaded the latest version and it looks like they made a lot of improvements. I did the factory restore and wiped the cache then installed the latest firmware thru Kies. Everything seemed to work fine but after rebooting the touch screen doesn't work at all, not even with the pen. The touch screen buttons seem to still work but its stuck at the AT&T Ready2go screen because I can't hit cancel or get started buttons.

Thanks

well my friend, you had the phone apart once already, I am no expert, but my guess is this is no software issue. maybe some connections came loose. in my time here, I have not come across this issue. I do not have the brain pan nor the courage to take my phone apart.

good luck to you.

maybe someone else will mosey on by.

gimmeitorilltell

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 6, 2012

Thanks

My guess is the digitizer has gone bad if odin &/or kies can't fix the issue at hand.