[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the Wildfire with Unrevoked 3.21

Search This thread

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Note: It does not work on 2.2.1 Wildfire's (i.e. - Any bought after Feb - March 2011)

I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because there aren't any really detailed instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC Buzz (Wildfire).

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE WILDFIRE

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
  2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
  3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
  4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
  5. Open Device Manager.
  6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
  7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
  8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
  9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
  10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
  11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
  12. Your driver should install.
  13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
  2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
  3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
  4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
  5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
  6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
  7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

EDIT: If that doesn't work for you, follow these instructions:

Got my wildFire Rooted!
Most ways here didn't work to get it going, but here is how i got it working:

01. Installed HTC Synch
02. Ran HTC Synch with WildFire Connected
03. Closed HTC Synch
04. Downloaded Unrevoked 3 and ran it
05. Let it do the whole process (it did everything by itself (rebooting the wildfire in hboot mode etc...)
05. Installed HBOOT USB Drivers when it asked for it
06. At some stage it says something like rooting ... safe to restart if it doesn't work, it stays on that screen, close unrevoked3
07. Disconnected WildFire
08. Uninstalled HTC Synch (only the program, not the drivers)
09. Connected Wildfire to PC
10. Ran UNREVOKED3 again
11. HTC Wildfire is rooted now :)

* HTC WildFire (Belgium) Simlockfree
* Done on Windows XP

Last edited by a moderator:

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
Hmmm struggling to update mine. And my net just gone down bad times. What does it mean if it saying waiting for device? Sync isn't installed and hboot drivers installed successfully.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

spakkkk

Sep 14, 2010
Porto
hi everyone

its my 1st post, and obviously im here to ask a newbie question lol ...

if i use that way to root, i lost my apps and other stuff?

regards

Last edited:

gpgeza

Jun 28, 2008
Budapest
Hi EveryOne!

I have some problems, with launching unrevoked 3 reflash_package.exe.
I did the USB driver setup, and it works.
I turned on the phone, USB debugging is allowed, just charging, no HTC sync on Laptop (win7 32bit), connect the phone via USB, launching reflash, it says: waiting for device... after 10 minutes, it is the same... :(

What should i do?
Thanks in advance!
Geza

Disruptor85

Jun 20, 2009
Madrid
Hi EveryOne!

I turned on the phone, USB debugging is allowed, just charging, no HTC sync on Laptop (win7 32bit), connect the phone via USB, launching reflash, it says: waiting for device... after 10 minutes, it is the same... :(

What should i do?
Thanks in advance!
Geza

I had the same problem (Win7 x64), and i dont know to fix it, so I have been searching for a response to this, but nothing...

At the end, I have done it with a special UBuntu Live CD
search in xda: Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide)

No problems in this way, when you plug in the phone :)

Last edited:

sparkie_1

Aug 1, 2010
@home
The OS on my PC is W7 x86 and not possible to use Unrevoked 3.21 to root my Buzz.
I did it also with a special UBuntu Live CD : Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide)

Is it possible to mention this methode also in the 1 post for W7 users

gpgeza

Jun 28, 2008
Budapest
The OS on my PC is W7 x86 and not possible to use Unrevoked 3.21 to root my Buzz.
I did it also with a special UBuntu Live CD : Ubuntu LiveCD with ADB and Unrevoked Recovery installer(Guide)

Is it possible to mention this methode also in the 1 post for W7 users

My PC is running under w7 ultimate 32bit, and the root is working now. :D

cleverboy

Sep 22, 2010
Hi,

I had the same problem. Solved by uninstallation of all htc related drivers (don't forget to show nonpresent devices) and installation of Android Bootloader Interface from original Android SDK. Running Win7 64-bit. Then unrevoked 3.21 succesfully installed.

Last edited:

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
Hi EveryOne!

What should i do?
Thanks in advance!
Geza

Try installing and then uninstalling HTC Sync.

f0xy

Aug 23, 2010
Manchester
Hi,

I had the same problem. Solved by uninstallation of all htc related drivers (don't forget to show nonpresent devices) and installation of Android Bootloader Interface from original Android SDK. Running Win7 64-bit. Then unrevoked 3.21 succesfully installed.

Aren't you a clever boy! Tar pal

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: It does not work on 2.2.1 Wildfire's (i.e. - Any bought after Feb - March 2011)

I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because there aren't any really detailed instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC Buzz (Wildfire).

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE WILDFIRE

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
    2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
    3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
    4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
    5. Open Device Manager.
    6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
    7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    12. Your driver should install.
    13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
    2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
    3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
    4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
    5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
    6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
    7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

EDIT: If that doesn't work for you, follow these instructions:

Got my wildFire Rooted!
    Most ways here didn't work to get it going, but here is how i got it working:

01. Installed HTC Synch
    02. Ran HTC Synch with WildFire Connected
    03. Closed HTC Synch
    04. Downloaded Unrevoked 3 and ran it
    05. Let it do the whole process (it did everything by itself (rebooting the wildfire in hboot mode etc...)
    05. Installed HBOOT USB Drivers when it asked for it
    06. At some stage it says something like rooting ... safe to restart if it doesn't work, it stays on that screen, close unrevoked3
    07. Disconnected WildFire
    08. Uninstalled HTC Synch (only the program, not the drivers)
    09. Connected Wildfire to PC
    10. Ran UNREVOKED3 again
    11. HTC Wildfire is rooted now :)

* HTC WildFire (Belgium) Simlockfree
    * Done on Windows XP
    I tempted to do it, do you think there will be a way, in the near future, to un-void the phone?

Yes, AlphaRev will release a downgrader to revert the Bootloader. Infact, someone has asked them already and got the required commands as well, to revert the phone back to stock, but, it is yet to be tested.
    Successfully flashed with unrEVOked v3.21

Hello everyone,

Being the Android newbie i am, i just did a successful reflash using unrEVOked v3.21 on Windows 7 x64 following the OPs' instructions.

Note: if anybody is having the ADB driver missing like i did (uninstalled it by mistake), select Update Driver -> Search My PC -> List Available drivers -> Android Phone(s) -> if the list is empty, click Have Disk and navigate to the HBOOT modified driver downloaded from the unrEVOked site and select the .inf file in the main directory -> Android ADB Interface

Click Next -> Finish.

Cheers!
    hi there trying to revoke wildfire too, got to stage where it says waiting for root, tryed restarting the laptop and phone a number of times but still wont find root, ive installed proper drivers abd and andriod drivers when its in hboot, ive also tryed a downgrade package but still says waiting for root, im trying to put either revoked custom image or the original rom, so i have a 3uk factory rom image, and people have said to use nandroid but do not have it i dont think, can anyone help thank u
    On "unrevoked3" program, after few minutes I got this:

Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware to new?

Any suggestions?

unrevoked doesnt work with froyo or above. only with 2.1. Use revolutionary instead, thats how i did it.
    http://revolutionary.io/