[WindowsXP/Vista/7][.NET][TOOL] Icon Set-Builder v1.1.0 [2012/10/12]

Search This thread

NachoB

Mar 16, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
With so many icons I didn't even try to compare. Does it create them in alphanumeric order same as they're listed in the assests folder?

~ Sent from my LTEvoFourG using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Is it always the same icon? Looks like. Thanks for references, will take a look this evening.

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk 2

Don't bother, I think I found the problem. There was a Thumbs.db file in the folder, which was the next file in the list to be exported. Maybe add code to ignore Thumbs.db if it exists?

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
Don't bother, I think I found the problem. There was a Thumbs.db file in the folder, which was the next file in the list to be exported. Maybe add code to ignore Thumbs.db if it exists?

Thanks. Found the same, but here it was the TXT-files, had no thumbs.db. Anyways... added filtering to only usw PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF images.

Attached hotfix, just the EXE zipped.

Attachments

• IconSetBuilder_0.9.9c_Hotfix_NET2.zip
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IconSetBuilder_0.9.9c_Hotfix_NET3.zip
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: NachoB

NachoB

Mar 16, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
Thanks. Found the same, but here it was the TXT-files, had no thumbs.db. Anyways... added filtering to only usw PNG, JPG, BMP and GIF images.

Attached hotfix, just the EXE zipped.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between net2 and net3? Also, in your dropbox download, what's the different between the versions with net2 and those without?

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the difference between net2 and net3? Also, in your dropbox download, what's the different between the versions with net2 and those without?

"net2" are compiled targeting .net framework 2.0, the others are for .net 3.0. Guess nowadays 3.0 should be sufficient. Still have to test under Linux and WINE, have reports it doesn't work well. So I thought 2.0 builds might help. On the other hand, the DevEx components require 3.0, and I don't know whether these might run under WINE.

NachoB

Mar 16, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
"net2" are compiled targeting .net framework 2.0, the others are for .net 3.0. Guess nowadays 3.0 should be sufficient. Still have to test under Linux and WINE, have reports it doesn't work well. So I thought 2.0 builds might help. On the other hand, the DevEx components require 3.0, and I don't know whether these might run under WINE.

Thanks #9

Basil3

Inactive Recognized Themer
Apr 4, 2008
Dublin
Truly awesome app, have been using it quite a bit over the last week and very impressed.

Keep up the great work!!

Reactions: Flashalot

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
SORRY I haven't posted an update for more than two weeks. Didn't have much time, but I spent working on Icon Set-Builder.

Promise, I will post an update tomorrow! Recently I am still ironing out some bugs. Some hints what you can expect? Improved speed, Import/Export of settings and assets (so you finally can share your creations), icon AND text simultaneously, process queue ... and more.

Gotta get some sleep now, it's 2 a.m. *yawn*

Last edited:

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
Due to sickness the last days (both son and myself :() I have to delay the new release again. Spending time fixing last bugs and also preparing new installers / ZIPs; want to keep it slim, offering to add optional components, assets etc later on. Hopefully tomorrow, otherwise I guess on monday.

Sorry...

pizz0wn3d

Dec 27, 2010
Summerville, SC
Due to sickness the last days (both son and myself :() I have to delay the new release again. Spending time fixing last bugs and also preparing new installers / ZIPs; want to keep it slim, offering to add optional components, assets etc later on. Hopefully tomorrow, otherwise I guess on monday.

Sorry...

Don't apologize, just get better ;P

Herp derp SGS3 Tapatalk 2

NachoB

Mar 16, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro

Sorry...
Ok, you've had long enough, get off your a$$!

LOL. Just messing with ya. Hope you and your son are doing better.

Sent from my EVO using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
Icon Set-Builder 1.0.0

The wait is over, I intensly used the last days despite still being sick and finished, tested and improved Icon Set-Builder. And finally I'm pleased enough to call it "Version 1.0.0".

attachment.php

A foreword: a LOT has changed improved, so I decided to create an installer which installs the new version side-by-side to the 0.9.x-versions. Basically I reorganized the folders for less clutter. Also the folder contained in the ZIP is called "IconSetBuilderNG" to differentiate from the previous ones.

So... what has changed?

New stuff:
  • App Settings: Some settings are now stored in a config-file, like chosen Visual Style, Preview Device or Author Name
  • Continue session: When closing Icon Set-Builder, this current settings are automatically saved, so next time you start the tool, you are asked wether you want to load the settings and continue your work.
  • Add to queue: If you want to create multiple icon sets (different, slightly changed or whatever), you may queue the generating and finally start processing all queued sets at once.
  • Import/Export: FINALLY the long awaited feature to export your creation to a ZIP file and of course import ones from others is available!
  • Overlays now also have "Hue/Satuation/Lightness" settings like templates.

Improved:
  • Speed: At various places I could improve the speed a lot.
  • Rotation: Rotating had some issues, didn't work correctly sometimes, or left too large margins.

More new features are explained in details in the next posts. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• ICSv100_Screenshot.jpg
    ICSv100_Screenshot.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 338

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: Import/Export

In "Tools" you are now able to export your creation as ZIP -- or import others' ZIP into Icon Set-Builder.
When exporting you may choose what to include in the ZIP:
  • Icon Set: include all icons from the currently selected Icon Set's folder
  • Template: include everything from the currently selected Template's folder
  • Masks: include everything from the currently selected Mask's folder
  • Overlays: include everything from the currently selected Overlay's folder
  • Fonts: include the chosen fonts in case it contains textual elements

Attachments

• 09__ISBv100_ExportToZip.jpg
    09__ISBv100_ExportToZip.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 64

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: Download from Web

Since I have a hosted website with unlimited traffic and some gigs of storage unused, I decided to
  • put the latest version there for download and
  • *drumroll* added a "Web Store" where you can download additional items (Templates, Icon Sets, ...) directly.
Well... one more reason to create the "Web Store" ("Download additional items") was to be able to reduce the installer's size (13MB now to over 50MB with all stuff) and give you the choice to download only the things you really want.

Attachments

• 10__ISBv100_DownloadItems.jpg
    10__ISBv100_DownloadItems.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 488

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: "Devices" in Simulation

Well... that's more a gimmick than a real feature, but in "Simulation" you may now choose other devices than the default "Sony Xperia S". Available for download are "HTC One X", "Samsung Galaxy S3" and (the one I own) "Sony Ericsson Xperia neo".
The simulated device can be saves as mock-up picture in PNG format.

Attachments

• 16__ISBv100_PreviewDevices.jpg
    16__ISBv100_PreviewDevices.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 66

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: Levels and Gamma

The settings under "Icon Set" I split and added a new tab "Icon FX".
Here you'll find a new setting "Levels/Gamma". This allows to change the brightness range (compress / expand) and change the Gamma (distribution of brightness from lowest to highest).
What can it be used for? Well, for example you can use standard app icons, set them to "grey scale" and by adjusting levels transform them into quite "flat" icons better fitting ICS.

Attachments

• 02__ISBv100_ICSd_AppIcons.jpg
    02__ISBv100_ICSd_AppIcons.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 59

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: Label Over Icon

You are no longer limited to "graphical icon" or "textual icon", but can combine both. The icon's label text can be configured and placed independently.
Generally the base icon's name is used as label. But let's say the icon's name is "com.android.browser"... you don't want to display THAT. So to solve this problem, simply place a text file "AppNames.txt" inside the Icon Set's folder containing line by line "translations" (i.e. "com.android.browser=Browser"). Simple as that!
Of course I already created those files for the ICS and Metro icon sets.

Attachments

• 03__ISBv100_LabelOverIcon.jpg
    03__ISBv100_LabelOverIcon.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 58
  • 04__ISBv100_AppNames.jpg
    04__ISBv100_AppNames.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 51

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: Tool "Extract from Titanium Backup"

I found out, that Titanium Backup's ".properties"-files contain the name of the application as well as the application's icon (in size 72x72). So I added a ways to simply (1) choose a folder containing Titanium's backup files and (2) choose an output folder and let the tool automatically extract icon and app name from the properties-files. Of course the "AppNames.txt"-file for "Label over Icon" is also created on the fly!

Attachments

• 07__ISBv100_ExtractFromTiBk.jpg
    07__ISBv100_ExtractFromTiBk.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 55

vrooden

Jun 22, 2010
FEATURE: "Save settings as default"

It was already possible to "load" and "save" settings, now you may also "delete" them.
Furthermore it is now possible to "save settings as default". This means: the current settings are not stored in the general "settings"-folder, but are directly created as default for the chosen "Template" or "Template Variant". So if saved as default, next time you choose that Template (or variant), those settings are applied immediately.

Attachments

• 05__ISBv100_SaveAsDefault.jpg
    05__ISBv100_SaveAsDefault.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 52

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Want to create your own icon sets based on an existing one?
    Tired of manually having to apply all necessary steps per icon?

Well... maybe this little tool can help you:

Icon Set-Builder v1.x

:: Introduction ::
    Lately I saw an icon style I'd liked and wanted to recreate it using Android ICS icons as base.
    Using Paint.NET I could create my template and do so... but since Paint.NET does not support scripting, I had to do everything (resizing, changing color and transparency, applying as alpha mask to my template, etc) again and again for about 200 times.
    Being a .NET developer, I thought "Why not write a little script to do that treadmill work for me?".
    Well, finally it grew into this "Icon Set-Builder" tool.

:: Screenshots ::
    Here's one screenshot of the app, more are in the second post or here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/byzwc8u40kjuai0/xIQ72kDZBG

attachment.php

:: Features ::
    What can you do with it?
    Well, basically it works with several layers (template, icon, mask and overlay) for each you can apply a lot of adjustments.

The basic steps:
    • Choose a template and, if supported, a template style (i.e. several colors)
    • Choose your favorite icon set
    • Optionally, choose an alpha mask to be applied for each icon
    • Optionally, choose a matching overlay
    • Play around with the settings
    • Let the tool generate your icon set
    All changes you make are immediately applied to the previews, so you always know, what the result would look like.

Basic icon sets (ICS, Metro, PixelPerfect, iOS-like) and templates are included.
    Most templates i created myself myself, some are based on or inspired by other's ideas (see below).

But of course you are free and encouraged to create your own stuff and contribute!
    Well... that's what it's for, right?
    To easier bring your own ideas to live!

:: Download Location ::
    Versions 0.9.x as well as (maybe in time...) older versions can be found in this DropBox:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e837ronlu4k4roc/j_kuqNgUo0

Download of version 1.0.0 and later is available here:
    http://iconsetbuilder.echtzeitig.de

Direct links for latest version:

Some AddOns:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6edgq8hnvxkur5y/lBL0R4i8n2

Both a simply zipped version as well as an MSI-installer are available.
    The folder also contains a ZIP "IconSetBuilder_Samples.zip" containing some created samples.

The tool itself is only 160kB, but with base stuff it's about 9MB.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Using MSI-installer, v0.9.1 should no longer cause problems with Windows "User Access Control", since the installation folder changed.
    Also fixed a nasty bug with leftover debug-code which tried to save an intermediate image in "D:\Temp" and crashed if that folder was not available. SORRY!!!

Requirements: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or later, but I guess that's already installed nowadays on all Windows PCs.

:: Samples ::
    Sheets displaying a few icons of various styles can be found here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cugwu9xzh06riuh/ecqPW_CzTY

More samples as single PNG icons are here (no complete sets!!):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvvmptmz47rnq2e/RDL4p3oTFZ

:: Detailed Features ::

Template:
    • Choose a basic template
    • Some templates may offer styles, i.e. various colors
    • Templates may have matching default settings, which one can automatically load and apply
    • Adjust size, cropping and position
    • Modify colors: invert, greyscale, transparency

Icon Set:
    • Choose icon set
    • Choose style: overlay / blend with template / apply as alpha mask (i.e. to create a "cut-out" in the template)
    • Apply a shadow/glow effect
    • Rotate the icon
    • Add mirror effect on X- or Y-axis with adjustable axis-position
    • Choose all or just some icons you want to use

Textual Icons:
    • Choose a txt-file containing the texts for your icons in icon set-list
    • Choose your favorite font from system or custom folder
    • Change the fonts size and style
    • Change color and transparency for the text
    • Choose alignment (top/middle/bottom, left/center/right)
    • Choose wether text should wrap on blanks and/or shrink to fit inside the available space
    • Use all basic effects mentioned above for further modifications

Alpha Mask:
    • If you wish, you can apply an alpha mask to the icon
    • This allows i.e. to cut off parts

Overlay:
    • If you wish, choose an overlay
    • Choose style: overlay / blend with template / apply as alpha mask

Preview:
    • Save currently shown icon as single file (without generating complete set)
    • Open a preview window which "simulates" a phone's screen
    • Choose between different backgrounds to see what it looks like
    • Layouts from 3x3 to 5x6, plus dock

Create:
    • Choose the output size of the icon, from 8x8 to 256x256 everything is possible
    • Give your icon set a name (will be used as folder name)
    • If the folder exists, you can let the tool automatically create a new one (i.e. "My Set (001)") or use the existing output folder
    • If an existing folder contains icons, you can let the tool delete all of them before generating the new set
    • Optionally save your settings for later reuse
    • Press "Generate" and watch it do it's work

The tool works pretty fast. Some effects (shadow basically) may take a little longer. But overall it takes less than or only a little longer than a second per icon.

:: Thanks and Mentions ::
    I would like to thank the following guys for their great work and inspiration.
    Their ideas and work are the fundament the tools is build upon.
    Some elements I reused as templates or basics, I hope they don't mind (will inform them soon and will remove from tool if necessary).

NiteOwl360
    • for the great "Semi Sense" icons I cut and spliced and re-implemented as template
    BlackBearBlanc
    • for his awesome minimalistic ICS-based icon sets, which I included honorably as templates
    • for his work on the ICS- and additional icons included as base in some of his set (BTW: some needed optimization; I did so *g*)
    rawdealer
    • for his "PixelPerfect" icon set, great minimal basic set; I took the liberty to also include them
    P_C
    • for his "3C" icon set, great minimal basic set; I took the liberty to also include them
    Unknown guys:
    • the various Suave icons I included
    • the various other iOS-like icons I included
    • various creators of Metro-styled icons (I don't quite remember which one I used for creating my basic set, SORRY!!!)
    Samples

Some samples, more attached:

Eclipse Rounded Square:
    attachment.php

Roostilabel'd Metro:
    attachment.php

Semi Sense'd:
    attachment.php

Sketch (Chalkboard)
    attachment.php

Wooden Plate
    attachment.php

Colored Tiles
    attachment.php

"3C" in 3D
    attachment.php

More samples of V1.0.0 in this posting.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=31505848&postcount=123
    Version 1.1.0:
    • Greatly optimized performance for many functions, average 30-40% faster now
    • Label-over-Icon with seperate "Shadow" settings
    • Mirror: Optimized and enhanced, more options
    • "Open folder"-buttons to easily open folders (i.e. containing Exports) in Explorers

Details here.

Version 1.0.2:
    • NEW: Textual Icons: change texts case to lower case, UPPER CASE or Title Case
    • NEW: Textual Icons: "wrap" and "shrink" for 2-line-text-icons
    • NEW: Textual Icons: rewritten 2-line-text-icons functions
    • FIXED: Rotation of final icons sometimes resulted in not properly sized icons (i.e. 128x124 instead of square 128x128)

Version 1.0.1:
    Added "Brightness to Alpha": Create single color icons with the original icons' brightness used as transparency value. More in this posting.

Version 1.0.0:
    New stuff:
    • App Settings: Some settings are now stored in a config-file, like chosen Visual Style, Preview Device or Author Name
    • Continue session: When closing Icon Set-Builder, this current settings are automatically saved, so next time you start the tool, you are asked wether you want to load the settings and continue your work.
    • Add to queue: If you want to create multiple icon sets (different, slightly changed or whatever), you may queue the generating and finally start processing all queued sets at once.
    • Import/Export: FINALLY the long awaited feature to export your creation to a ZIP file and of course import ones from others is available!
    • Overlays now also have "Hue/Satuation/Lightness" settings like templates.
    • FEATURE: Download from Web
    • FEATURE: Import/Export
    • FEATURE: "Devices" in Simulation
    • FEATURE: Levels and Gamma
    • FEATURE: Label Over Icon
    • FEATURE: Tool "Extract from Titanium Backup"
    • FEATURE: "Save settings as default"
    • FEATURE: "Process Queue"
    • FEATURE: Random items

Detailed descriptions in this post and following.

Improved:
    • Speed: At various places I could improve the speed a lot.
    • Rotation: Rotating had some issues, didn't work correctly sometimes, or left too large margins.

Version 0.9.9a:
    Hotfix for invalid file name when trying to generate a 2-line styled textual icon set (TAB contained in file name - DUH!!)

Version 0.9.9:
    Interims release with just 2 new enhancements/features:
    • "Fade Out" with adjustable width in "Mirror" function; can be used for mirror reflection also, just set the "axis" appropriately
    • "2 Line Text Icons": allows to create textual icons with two lines that can be configured seperatly (font, size, color)
      • Items in TXT-file for icons must contain both lines' texts seperated by TAB-character (i.e. "Read[TAB]Mails")
      • Enable in "Textual Icons" tab and configure

Version 0.9.8:
    Lots of new functions and effects:
    • Use icon as Mask
    • Colorize icon
    • Colorize template
    • FX: Random Hue Shift
    • FX: Apply Texture
    • FX: Pseudo 3D

In-detail descriptions in this and the next postings:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=30344572#post30344503

Many samples (not complete sets!) you can find here in the DropBox (previews and zips):
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/udpmii8763x7zs0/lXfLC3fcfg

Version 0.9.7:
    Minor changes.
    • HSB color functions are now also available for template
    • Moved "Generate" parts (output size, icon set name, buttons) from tab to main window area

Version 0.9.6b:
    In version 0.9.6 MSI and ZIPs one DevExpress DLL was missing, app didn't even start, SORRY for that!
    Uploaded 0.9.6b with included missing file, should work now properly.

Version 0.9.6:
    • Added "Random Rotation" as finalize function
    • Added "Crop to icon size" as finalize function
    • ...plus all from 0.9.5pre2
    Read more here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29991028&postcount=47

Version 0.9.5pre2:
    Preview version only right now, not released yet!!!
    • Reworking UI in progress
    • New effect "Pixelation"
    • New effect "Color Accent" with three modes and adjustable width of accent
      • Color Accent: only accent chosen color
      • Primary Color: finds primary color in icon and accentuates that color
      • Replace Primary Color: finds primary color, but uses chosen color for accentuation
    • New adjustments "HSL":
      • Shift HUE in color wheel, i.e. red becomes blue etc
      • Adjust SATURATION (boost or dim color strength)
      • Adjust BRIGHTNESS, make colors brighter or darker

attachment.php

Version 0.9.3:
    Only added functionality to save currently shown icon as single file (without generating complete set).

Version 0.9.2:

Added "Simulation Preview":
    • Open a preview window which "simulates" a phone's screen
    • Choose between different backgrounds to see what it looks like
    • Layouts from 3x3 to 5x6, plus dock
    attachment.php

Version 0.9.1:

SORRY the first version caused problems. Didn't take Windows Vista/7 UAC into account. Also there was a stupid DEBUG-code left over, which tried to save an intermediate file into "D:\Temp", but crashed if that path didn't exist. That and hopefully missing rights related problems are fixed now. For MSI please try 0.9.1, it uses a different (per user) install folder, so UAC should be history now. Uninstall 0.9.0 before.
    Version 1.1.0

New version 1.1.0

Performance:
    Greatly optimized performance for many functions, average 30-40% faster now. All functions working per-pixel now are much faster, since I'm now working directly with the underlying bits and bytes of each (LockBits) pixel instead of using the slooow GetPixel-/SetPixel-functions.

Label-over-Icon with Shadow
    Label-over-Icon now has it's own "Shadow" settings independent from the icon.

Mirror
    "Mirror" is now in "Icon FX", now called "Mirror / Reflection", and has many more options. Basically I was inspired once more by a screenshot by BlackBearBlanc with ICS-icons with reflection: the reflection is semi-transparent and is moved by an offset up and a bit to the right. Now you can, too, easily -- and also change the transparency ("Alpha"), saturation and brightness (luminance).

"Open folder"-buttons
    Easily open folders (i.e. containing Exports) in Explorers by simply clicking on the big button "Open folder in Explorer" in tab "Tools", or "Open output folder".

Logging
    Under "About" you might enable logging to help me out in case you find some functions working slowly.

Download items
    Loading preview is now running asynchronous, speeded up launch of the dialog.

>> Download available from here. <<
    Lala v2

Will your program work with this icon set: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1702688
    Would be a great way to help it get rounded out more quickly.

It's done, created assets for Icon Set-Builder from Lala V2-PSD-template. You need high resolution icons, but it works pretty well.

BUT: Not only did I port the template, I also added a LOT of different backgrounds for the basic icon. This opens a lot of new possibilities, i.e. to create icons like wooden block with ICS icons.

Here are some screenshots and samples:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1f6ys481qoaxdks/CmXHR4I1m2

You can download the "Lala V2"-assets here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6edgq8hnvxkur5y/lBL0R4i8n2

It's two ZIPs, one for 128x128 icons, one for 256x256 ones.

You must unzip the ZIPs into the Icon Set-Builder-tools "Assets"-folder (i.e. located at "c:\Users\{User}\AppData\Roaming\Icon Set-Builder\Assets\" if installed using the MSI).

After that it's listed in "Templates" and also applies default settings.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Fixed ZIPs, unzip into "Assets" didn't work, accidently there was an additional subfolder in the ZIP. Now it works.