Defective Tablets from Amazon?

Search This thread

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Hi all,

The Infinity is my first tablet and I was thrilled when I was finally able to order one and it shipped out. The first night I had it I noticed that it had arrived with a couple scratches on the side and there was unpainted surface showing. I emailed Amazon about this and they offered to either refund 20% of my purchase or replace the tablet. While still deciding which road to take, I noticed that my screen was separating from the metal body at the bottom of the tablet (near the dock connector). I returned it and received a new one promptly.

Unfortunately my new one is also defective. When you hold the screen in landscape the right side of the screen is loose and makes a clicking sound when you grab onto it (actually more annoying than what was wrong with the first tablet). Amazon suggested to check with ASUS. ASUS only offered to have me send it in to be serviced (not replaced) and that I would have to pay shipping.

Do I now return this tablet to Amazon again and hope that I finally get a well constructed tablet? Are ASUS tablets always this hit or miss in terms of their quality?

NickS VR4

Jul 19, 2012
Clicking by the speaker is "normal". Mine doesn't click but feels slightly separated there. No other problems at all with mine. Got it at B&H.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Clicking by the speaker is "normal". Mine doesn't click but feels slightly separated there. No other problems at all with mine. Got it at B&H.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

It's just frustrating that this one is clicking at the speaker when the first tablet had other problems but no clicking (I still have them both in my possession so I checked to make sure I hadn't just accidentally not noticed it)

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
It's a somewhat weaker spot on the backside that many units suffer from (I haven't spotted it so far on mine). As fr as the reports go, it does not impact norml usage, so I guess it is okay. (Nonetheless, on a tablet priced as the TF700 is, I should expect the esign to be thought through a little better.)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
It's a somewhat weaker spot on the backside that many units suffer from (I haven't spotted it so far on mine). As fr as the reports go, it does not impact norml usage, so I guess it is okay. (Nonetheless, on a tablet priced as the TF700 is, I should expect the esign to be thought through a little better.)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

My initial tablet had a very small amount of screen give near the speaker. But this loud audible clicking seems a bit much to tolerate. While I can still use the tablet normally, it sure is annoying to hear it click every time I move my hand.

I've uploaded a video to show the clicking:

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
My initial tablet had a very small amount of screen give near the speaker. But this loud audible clicking seems a bit much to tolerate. While I can still use the tablet normally, it sure is annoying to hear it click every time I move my hand.

That sucks. Sorry. Mine seems to be OK except for a touch of light bleeding which I may just fix myself once some teardown videos show up.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA

That's really aweful. I'd return it for sure. I'm getting mine from BestBuy on Monday...I hope I don't have any such issues.

Keion

Nov 6, 2011
Danville, California
Mine clicks too. I find it more of a feature though because it gives me a strange sort of satisfaction to constantly press it. Maybe it's just me.

Cleanskinned

Dec 14, 2011
I ordered my amethyst one from Amazon. Structurally, the tablet is very sound. No separation or weaknesses.

But I do have some notable backlight bleed that you can see in the backlight bleed thread.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29335840&postcount=7

I am also experiencing two audio problems: electronic squealing from the headphone jack when watching movies with BS Player and MX player. It is a moderately loud continuous "beeep.......beep.....beeeeeep....beeeeep....beeep.....beep" that is audible at normal volumes and when the volume is muted. Wear headphones, watch an mkv video file, and let me know if you hear this. I also have serious bluetooth audio lag. If I use a bluetooth headset instead of stereo headphones, I don't hear any squealing, but the sound is at least 1-2 seconds behind the video.

As a comparison, neither my Galaxy Tab 10.1 or my Galaxy Nexus have any of these issues. No backlight bleed, squealing, or bluetooth lag. I can live with the backlight bleed on the Infinity if the two audio issues can be fixed. Otherwise, I will need to return this unit. Almost everything else about this tablet is stellar, so I would hate to return it.

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Update

Received tablet number three today from Amazon. This one makes the clicking sound of tablet 2 and has the loose screen of tablet 1. Not sure what to do now.

Do I give up on the Infinity and go to the Nexus 7?

robsw

Mar 21, 2010
Chicago
Received tablet number three today from Amazon. This one makes the clicking sound of tablet 2 and has the loose screen of tablet 1. Not sure what to do now.

Do I give up on the Infinity and go to the Nexus 7?

My Nexus 7 had a bad display and died within an hour of unboxing. Just ordered my TF700. Fingers crossed.

Eroc162

Jan 19, 2008
Wow that clicking is serious and that gap is definitely a defect. I'm starting to think I should have kept the first Infinity I had I had only minimal movement from the screen and no click. Hope the second doesn't have any issues. That click is serious lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

PaulQ602

Nov 19, 2010
I got mine from Amazon the day after release. No problems that I can tell. Mine probably came from the Phoenix warehouse.

...sent from Infinity

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
I got mine from Amazon the day after release. No problems that I can tell. Mine probably came from the Phoenix warehouse.

...sent from Infinity

Not sure if the warehouses matter but these are mine:
Tablet 1 (loose screen near left dock connector): Fernley, NV
Tablet 2 (the clicking sound shown in the Youtube video): Whitestown, IN
Tablet 3 (slightly less egregious clicking, AND screen loose near dock connector): Breinigsville, PA
Tablet 4 (?): Shipping soon and arriving tomorrow (I guess when you have 3 defective products they pay extra for Saturday delivery)

Wow that clicking is serious and that gap is definitely a defect. I'm starting to think I should have kept the first Infinity I had I had only minimal movement from the screen and no click. Hope the second doesn't have any issues. That click is serious lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I'm feeling the same way. My first tablet with the loose screen (but no clicking) and the scratches it arrived with is starting to look pretty attractive.

My Nexus 7 had a bad display and died within an hour of unboxing. Just ordered my TF700. Fingers crossed.

Hope you have better luck!

stunya

Dec 4, 2010
yikes...i just ordered mine today. Ill post back with the results. Thanks for the heads up!

MrDoody

May 6, 2008
MA, USA
my unit came from amazon. no scratches. no clicks. no big hairy flies gnawing at my fingers. file under "lucky", i guess (hoping i'm not jinxing it!).

fwiw,
doody!

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
Bought mine from amazon.de, which had screen separation and a dead love of pixels after a day, told them and they sent a new one a hour later. I currently have 2 until they send me packaging for the old one haha XD but the new one is perfect condition.very impressed with the service, but less so with the fact they are even sending out dodgy units. Our of interest what serial batch are yours, mine are both c7.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

gakirby

Sep 1, 2011
Connecticut
Bought mine from amazon.de, which had screen separation and a dead love of pixels after a day, told them and they sent a new one a hour later. I currently have 2 until they send me packaging for the old one haha XD but the new one is perfect condition.very impressed with the service, but less so with the fact they are even sending out dodgy units. Our of interest what serial batch are yours, mine are both c7.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

First tablet: c6
Second tablet: c7
Third tablet: c7
Fourth tablet: showing up in the next few hours

I am very impressed with Amazon's service. This most recent tablet was overnighted with Saturday delivery, which is far from cheap.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm 3 weeks into my Infinity which is my first tablet, and although the experience has been good overall I've started noticing some problems and, given that I'm one week away of my 30 day return warranty from Amazon, been wondering whether I should ask for a replacement or not. Here are the problems I've encountered:

1. The screen "flops around" but doesn't sounds when it does. It doesn't bother as much now but it happens in every border, all four them, that's where the dock connector is at, the camera, and both sides. My biggest concern is that it will become worst with time. (if it stays as is I would be fine with it).

2. Six times the screen has gone black or white, and the tablet has gone unresponsive. Had to force a shut down every single time because I've found no other solution to this (if this is a I/O, app, OS problem and not a hardware one, please let this noob know)

3. And finally, the one that worries me the most, is that although I have no dead pixel yet, when using different apps I've noticed 3 times already that a white line appears for a second from side to side in the middle of the tablet. Is this an indication of something to come?

I live overseas and would have to ship the tablet to the US within a week for a refund, if anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome.
    All of those sound like potentially serious issues. For comparison, my TF700 screen is completely solid and absolutely flat. No movement, creaking, raised areas, squishiness. Second, I have heard of the line of white or stuck pixels as a problem on the ASUS Nexus 7 and a lot of N7 owners returned them because of some such problems. Your second stated issue sounds more software related and can probably be resolved one way or another, but I'm sure it is very troubling when it happens.
    Even though you are overseas, you should consider getting a replacement TF700 for your loose screen issue, if for nothing else. I wouldnt know how you could fix that yourself.
    Good luck.
    I'm 3 weeks into my Infinity which is my first tablet, and although the experience has been good overall I've started noticing some problems and, given that I'm one week away of my 30 day return warranty from Amazon, been wondering whether I should ask for a replacement or not. Here are the problems I've encountered:

1. The screen "flops around" but doesn't sounds when it does. It doesn't bother as much now but it happens in every border, all four them, that's where the dock connector is at, the camera, and both sides. My biggest concern is that it will become worst with time. (if it stays as is I would be fine with it).

2. Six times the screen has gone black or white, and the tablet has gone unresponsive. Had to force a shut down every single time because I've found no other solution to this (if this is a I/O, app, OS problem and not a hardware one, please let this noob know)

3. And finally, the one that worries me the most, is that although I have no dead pixel yet, when using different apps I've noticed 3 times already that a white line appears for a second from side to side in the middle of the tablet. Is this an indication of something to come?

I live overseas and would have to ship the tablet to the US within a week for a refund, if anyone has any suggestions they'd be welcome.

I've had mine for exactly 30 days and I set up for a return to Amazon today. I manualy updated the firmware to xxx.26 as my OTA didn't work 2 weeks after the new firmware came out. I've done two restores to find out if it's one of my apps or the stock device. I had the same issues after the restores; screen goes blank and system freezes when doing simple things like opening up Gmail or going into Settings. Now it won't connect to my wireless unless I turn the wireless off then back on. Not my router (Netgear R6300) as none of my other devices do this.

What really did it for me though was the fact that I went over to BestBuy and played with their TF700T and it was a lot smoother and faster than mine. I put mine on "performance" and it's still jittery and crashes. I tried to crash the one at BB but could not. So return to Amazon mine goes. I did not have any exterior or physical issues.

My conclusion is that this is a great tablet IF and ONLY IF you get a good copy. Buddy of mine has one and he says it's fast, buttery, and never a crash. Hmm? I'm going to try one more copy but this really bothers me and almost...............I said it almost makes me want to go to the iPad! D'oh!

I think Asus has some serious quality control issues and I'm super bummed that this device does not support 802.11n 5GHz band.
    On your third point, something similar happened to a review unit I saw in a video (on Android Central, maybe). I would send that thing back ASAP.