Guys... which is good Sensation or SAMSUNG Galaxy SII?

Search This thread

LilChinchster

Feb 18, 2012
I won a GS2(Hong Kong version with a 4.3" display and a Home button like iphone, 1.2GHz CPU) in a lucky draw,
but i sold it for Sensation.

If I have to choose between GS2 and Sensation again
ill properly choose sensation.
Sensation doesnt run as fast as GS2,
but Sen is extremely user friendly.
HTC has done every thing for you,
you just simply switch on the phone and use it
while GS2 has to find some pretty widget.= =

One minor thing: The girls arround me are attracted by HTC Weather as I lend them my phone:D

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

I can hardly recognize the change in signal strength

I don't suffer from the death grip either in fact (this maybe due to the carriers) but I get signals in places where my friend (has a SGS2) doesn't get any on top of everywhere else.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

dullahan263

Dec 11, 2011
Berlin
I have a sensation, my girl has an s2. We switch phone sometimes. Both phones are terrific. You won't go wrong picking either of those.

The sensation has nice sense UI (better than TouchWiz imho) and looks generally prettier. The screen resolution also tops the s2, not by a huge amount but you can definitely tell the differences. HTC widgets are also superb.

The S2 is faster, superior screen (srsly you have to have them side by side to tell how pale the color of the sensation is). Lighter, thinner to me is a plus. Sensation is a bit too heavy. Also S2 has better battery life. Examples : Playing music : Sensation needs 5%/h and S2 needs 2%/h.

Now both phones are equal to me but when custom ISC roms for the S2 start coming out (better battery life, faster web browsing to be expected .. etc), I would recommend the S2 over the Sensation.

Last edited:

rickyiswhite

Apr 30, 2011
Marshallton
Samsung is cheap plastic ****... ****ty screen and.feels like a toy... Sensation
Or the Amaze but there isn't alot of support yet ive heard.. but you might as well wait for the HTC One

Sent from my insertcoined Sensation 4G with Beats Audio

PuscH

Mar 19, 2012
like most people have said already: it's personal preference

the S2 is thinner, lighter but feels terribly cheap (no polycarbonate but some cheap plastic).
the S2's screen is more colorful and has better contrast due to it's AMOLED screen, but imo colors look more natural on the Sensation's screen. anyways, i'd prefer the S2 screen for pictures, videos and games though, but i definately prefer the Sensation's screen for text display (browsing, text messages, emails and so on) because of it's higher screen resolution.
yes, the Sensation's screen is more narrow, but actually the Sensation has 16:9 aspect ratio (screen resolution is 540 x 960 (qHD)). also i think it's an advantage if u use ur phone with one hand.

and I prefer Sense over Touchwiz. Sense looks nice imo and brings some nice features / apps (like the email or dialer app). don't get me wrong, u can have the same on the S2, but then u have to install several apps and widgets, Sense just comes with it. a lot of ppl don't like Sense at all, a lot of ppl do like it. so u have to find out urself.

with GB and Sense 3.0 the Sensation UI seems to be a bit sluggish, but i never had any problems with running any app. with ICS and Sense 3.6 my Sensation feels pretty snappy (running ARHD 6.5.x @ 1.5GHz though).

just get the device which fits best to u.

Last edited:
Reactions: k0zmic

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
I love the Galaxy series, But they do seem a little 'cheaply made' the back case is as thin as my **** :eek::eek: But the performance makes up for that..

I had my SGS 1 for over 12 months and was never disappointed.. Never had a single issue with it.. But my last upgrade it was SGS2 / Sensation... I chose Sensation and i dont regret it - except the signal issue - which is down to my carrier not the phone.

The SGS2 is a great phone, But still looks like the SGS1 and still has the cheap plastic feel.

The sensation seems rugged and tough - although ive broken the screen twice lol.

each phone has its pro's and con's but either way you will not be disappointed with your choice

samcad

Apr 21, 2011
mangalore
If there has ever been a tough call between two top-shelf Android handsets, this must be it. Even a glimpse through the spec sheet can’t tell you which one to snag - they are both powered by 1.2GHz dual-core chipsets, allowing them to record Full HD 1080p video at 30fps with their 8MP cameras, have 4.3” displays, and are both running the latest Android 2.3 Gingerbread with the respective homebrew interface overlays – Sense and TouchWiz.

And yet, when you dig deeper, the HTC Sensation and the Samsung Galaxy S II are rather different - the design philosophy is polarizing, screen technology and resolution don't match, the dual-core chipsets are not from the same mother, and the user interface concepts are opposites. Which one will be right for you? Read on, while we jump in to solve this dilemma...

Design:

Despite being thicker and heavier that the Samsung Galaxy S II, the HTC Sensation actually feels more ergonomic in the hand. The two handsets have almost the same width and length, but the Galaxy S II comes in a bit edgy, being the anorexic rectangular slab it is, while the added thickness and heft of the HTC Sensation make it feel more solid, and the curvy corners with tapered edges make it palm-friendly. This feeling is then reinforced by the choice of materials for the chassis - aluminum and soft-touch plastic are more pleasant to handle and show-off than black plastic.

However, these are deliberate design approaches - since the first Galaxy S, Samsung prefers to hit where it would count in marketing materials, and it made the Galaxy S II the thinnest and lightest handset with a 4.3” screen, hence the all-plastic design. HTC prefers more sophisticated design materials, and yet it currently strives to achieve a fairly uniform appearance across its Android portfolio, which makes the phones of this brand immediately recognizable, regardless of the market niche they are heading to, and yet a bit unsurprising because of the similar looks.

So which one should you pick based on design and looks alone is entirely subjective - personally we prefer phones with a big screen to be as thin and light as possible, but many others would go for the more sophisticated and distinctive design paradigm of HTC. If you are paying that much money for a phone, you might as well get some aluminum around it, right?

Moreover, it might be the different display technology that has allowed Samsung to make the Galaxy S II so thin - the Super AMOLED Plus screen needs less layers than the Super-LCD in the HTC Sensation. It has other virtues, too, like almost infinite contrast, wide viewing angles, and saturated, vivid colors. The display on the HTC Sensation is able to exhibit lively colors as well, but in a more limited gamut, and when you are halfway through tilting the phone to determine the viewing angles, the colors and brightness start to fade significantly.

The LCD screen on the HTC Sensation appears a tad brighter indoors, but outside under direct sunlight the very low reflectance of the Galaxy S II coating makes the image slightly easier to see. There is one area where the HTC Sensation is ahead, though, the 540x960 qHD resolution, compared to 480x800 pixels in the Galaxy S II's 4.3-incher. Since the Super AMOLED Plus technology gets rid of the PenTile RGBG matrix pixel arrangement, the individual pixels are not distinct as on the Galaxy S, for example, when you bring the phone close to your eyes.

The Samsung Galaxy S II has another advantage
over the HTC Sensation – Samsung is officially
blessing the development of custom ROMs like
CyanogenMod for it , whereas the HTC Sensation
comes with a locked bootloader, at least for
now . It is also the handset with less storage – an
8GB microSD card comes with the phone,
whereas the Galaxy S II comes with 16GB of
internal memory.
So, which one is right for you? If you do a lot of
reading and browsing on your smartphone, you
will certainly appreciate the bigger resolution on
the HTC Sensation, despite that browsing on the
Galaxy S II is smooth as silk. If you are
somewhat of a performance buff, or use the
smartphone mainly for watching videos, then
the Samsung Galaxy S II will grace your day
with many hours of high-definition movie
playback, in any format, and with subtitles, if
you need to understand what Dr Gregory House
is talking about. Oh, and that Super AMOLED
Plus display has simply gorgeous colors when
displaying video, and is power-sipping then, too.
Thus, if you are a function-before-form type of
person, you’d appreciate the simple and easy-
going, yet extremely powerful and future-proof
Galaxy S II. If you are into classier design looks
plus a richer software feel with the Sense UI and
its goodies like offline navigation through
Locations, but willing to sacrifice some battery
life and internal storage for them, you are likely
to walk out of the store with an HTC Sensation in
your hands.
In short, if the Samsung Galaxy S II is the light
and fast coupe, driven by the concepts for
simplicity and raw power under the hood, the
HTC Sensation is the more refined and
distinctive luxury ride, which is less capable in
certain core aspects, but carries with it
additional perks that make for a more
sophisticated experience. Frankly, in the land of
the little green robots, you can’t go wrong with
any of these two.

Last edited:

LilChinchster

Feb 18, 2012
I thought the same at first but by judging the amount of unbiased posts it seems like he got the right response

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

jthumanist

Feb 9, 2012
Sacramento
Sensation. Even objectively. Check the bench marks. Of course sensation just gets better with a custom ROM. Plus, it has a solid feel to the phone compared to galaxy. I flashed below mentioned ROM which came with a clocked up kernel, CPU now at 1.6ghz. Many other ROMs as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation ARHD 6.5.3 XE. FAST

nickporwal

May 6, 2010
Well i have used S2 and sold it to bought Sensation XE. I would say S2 is indeed a beast in terms of Raw Power. XE on the other hand gives the premium feel in terms of software and UI.
S2 is better in multimedia handling like video playing and all. Specially i have noticed that S2 is way ahead in handling of full high definition videos whereas sensation stutter even while playing 720p mkv files. i am really disappointed in this area with sensation.
But on the brighter side audio quality of sensation is way ahead of the S2. Simply mind blowing.
So its your choice whether you want to take S2 or sensation. One more thing though. Sensation also suffers from dust under the screen. Its a serious design issue. cannot be ignored.

MrMessi10

Jun 1, 2010
Well i have used S2 and sold it to bought Sensation XE. I would say S2 is indeed a beast in terms of Raw Power. XE on the other hand gives the premium feel in terms of software and UI.
S2 is better in multimedia handling like video playing and all. Specially i have noticed that S2 is way ahead in handling of full high definition videos whereas sensation stutter even while playing 720p mkv files. i am really disappointed in this area with sensation.
But on the brighter side audio quality of sensation is way ahead of the S2. Simply mind blowing.
So its your choice whether you want to take S2 or sensation. One more thing though. Sensation also suffers from dust under the screen. Its a serious design issue. cannot be ignored.

I have the sensation xe and a friend of mine has the S2. With the full hd movies/clips handling you are right, if you stick to the stock rom. I've flashed the HyperNonSense 1.5 rom and it's a HUGE improvement. Clips in 1080p are played easily and I get better scores on every benchmark than my friend with his s2.

Reactions: nickporwal

k0zmic

Jul 16, 2010
London
I wouldn't take Samsung even someone give me that like a gift.
My friend has SGSII, and it looks so cheap, comparing my XE750.
Samsung makes microvawe havens and washing machines.

I do agree that SGSII doesn't have the quality feel that the Sensation does.

But why should it matter if they make microwaves and washing machines? That division of their business is practically another company. I think they also do insurance and shipbuilding IIRC.

Either way, their consumer tech products have been generally good in my experience regardless of what else they branch out too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

enserio

Oct 26, 2010
California
Feel like I've been in this thread before, but in the SGSII forum...

I own both, and I bought the Sensation after the SGSII. It had to do with dev support and build. HTC products feel like equipment: they're sturdy, metal and rubber - built to last. Samsung: not so much. More like lightweight, easy to slip out of the hand without a case.

The Tmo SGSII forum is a gotdamn mess. All kinds of kids crying in there and devs leaving (see thederekjay). Terrible that its really no ones fault since the dev's hands are tied and GB Touchwiz roms are all you're really going to get for now.

In here - the development scene has been buzzing for months. Off the charts with how much has gone on in here since this device was launched. Anywhere that rmk40 devs, I am sure to follow.

Either way, for me both phones are just waiting to eventually be sold before they're not valued as high, as I see the next best thing may be the One series.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i own both sgs2 and a sensation, after using sensation for about a week i gave it to my wife and went back to s2. It's heavy and the screen is narrow and a few other things i didnt like about it. As far as sense goes i got over it in a week.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using xda premium

"after using sensation for about a week i gave it to my wife and went back to s2"

Yet underneath your comment it says

"Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using xda premium"

HAHAHAHA XD
    It would be more logical if you asked between the Amaze and the SGS2, since the Sensation is older. Anyways, I prefer the Amaze because of the higher pixel density. The SAMOLED+ is great, but a 4.5 inch screen with 480x800? Ill pass.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA
    It honestly depends on what your looking for

If you like the sensation UI or Touchwiz UI, whether you want the extra horsepower or not, etc

I own a Galaxy S2, and I LOVE the thing to death!
    It is EXTREMELY HARD to break it via flashing ROMS and Firmware, it has lots of support, it's powerful, has ICS support already, and has many benefits over the Sensation IMHO, the screen is better too, I played with a sensation and it felt laggy and slow at the Telstra store, even when I tweaked it a bit, everyone is going to have different opinions, but so far Samsung have won my vote

(I use to own a HTC Desire and HTC G1 (Dream))
    and I prefer Samsung at the moment :)

I will be getting the Galaxy S III! :D
    lolx OP comparing a new device with a old device.
    "after using sensation for about a week i gave it to my wife and went back to s2"

Yet underneath your comment it says

"Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using xda premium"

HAHAHAHA XD

Thats right gave it to the wife not sold it or destroyed it. When i did that post i was using my wifes phone.

Lets just keep it to the point, give ur views and ur expriences to help this guy decide which phone he wants to buy.

There is no need for littlr detective comments or starting samsung/htc war.

If you want to start android/apple war im with you. LOL

Sent from my GT-P7500 using XDA Premium HD app

Haha, yeah i'm with you too on an Android vs Apple war =D
    I'm not nit picking at you or anything, I was just pointing out something i found funny :p

Take it easy buddy :)