[Q] I think I bricked my C6806 GPE

Search This thread
Ok, I bought an Experia Z Ultra C6806 GPE. In stupidly trying to install a recovery that worked I flashed a kernel that wouldn't boot, after having unlocked the bootloader (at Sony). Then I tried to go back to stock and forgot that I'd left the bootloader unlocked. It seemed to flash successfully (FlashTool said it succeeded) but won't boot now, no lights come on and I can't get into Flashmode or anything else. It seems to be well and truly bricked. Is there anything I could do with a jtag or a hard reset or SOMETHING to bring it back to life? I'm willing to open it up if someone can hand hold me a bit in the process-I really like this phone. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Ok, I bought an Experia Z Ultra C6806 GPE. In stupidly trying to install a recovery that worked I flashed a kernel that wouldn't boot, after having unlocked the bootloader (at Sony). Then I tried to go back to stock and forgot that I'd left the bootloader unlocked. It seemed to flash successfully (FlashTool said it succeeded) but won't boot now, no lights come on and I can't get into Flashmode or anything else. It seems to be well and truly bricked. Is there anything I could do with a jtag or a hard reset or SOMETHING to bring it back to life? I'm willing to open it up if someone can hand hold me a bit in the process-I really like this phone. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

There is this guide, but I am not an expert so you might want to see if someone with more knowledge will reply.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646405

Edit..it wasn't a Sony ftf you flashed?

Edit#2...it won't go into fastboot mode either?

Last edited:

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Edit..it wasn't a Sony ftf you flashed?

Edit#2...it won't go into fastboot mode either?

It WAS a sony FTF...but I think flashing it ontop of the unlocked bootloader was a BAD THING....
It won't fastboot or ANYTHING.[/QUOTE]

The partitions are different which for sure will cause hard brick, not sure if the boot loader would have mattered.

Ouchy... We should summon @DooMLoRD and see if he knows what's up.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Does the DooMLorD require sacrifices? Virgins? I have tree fiddy laying around somewhere if that'll help....I'd offer blood, but I don't think he'd want mine.
Hey DooMLord-ya wanna help a girl out?

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Does the DooMLorD require sacrifices? Virgins? I have tree fiddy laying around somewhere if that'll help....I'd offer blood, but I don't think he'd want mine.
Hey DooMLord-ya wanna help a girl out?

Never flash a [full] FTF to a GPe ZU, locked or unlocked. I think we have seen this 4 or 5 times now, none of them have recovered them that I know of.
@DooMLoRD may be able to help now that he has one or the other way is to read the hardbricked Z1/ZU thread and see if the_laser could help

Never flash a [full] FTF to a GPe ZU, locked or unlocked. I think we have seen this 4 or 5 times now, none of them have recovered them that I know of.

@DooMLoRD may be able to help now that he has one or the other way is to read the hardbricked Z1/ZU thread and see if the_laser could help

Well, ya wins some and ya loses some...this is my first real actual brick. Guess I should have done more reading....think I'll see if the warranty is good or not. Thanks for the help guys.

adfurgerson

Jan 24, 2011
Next question..assuming I get the phone back in stock condition...how do I do a backup? I couldn't get CWM or TWRP to install on this phone, which is what led to my dilemma originally. Unlock bootloader, yes, root it, yes..backup TA or backup ROM, no.
Is the GPe not back up-able?

This thread has all the info needed. If after reading it you have questions just post here and I will try to answer them.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2742236

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Next question..assuming I get the phone back in stock condition...how do I do a backup? I couldn't get CWM or TWRP to install on this phone, which is what led to my dilemma originally. Unlock bootloader, yes, root it, yes..backup TA or backup ROM, no.
Is the GPe not back up-able?

You're scaring me. You're like a madman (madgirl?) on a bike, heading for a cliff and tells you "meh" :p Just keep in mind that Xperia and GPe ROMs, kernels and recoveries are not compatible with each other, so don't flash stuff unless it specifically says "GPe" in the title.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune

so what seems to be the problem here?

explain ALLL the steps you did in DETAIL!

You're scaring me. You're like a madman (madgirl?) on a bike, heading for a cliff and tells you "meh" :p Just keep in mind that Xperia and GPe ROMs, kernels and recoveries are not compatible with each other, so don't flash stuff unless it specifically says "GPe" in the title.

Sent from my C6806_GPe using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help-I know that now. Wish I'd done a bit more reading then so I wouldn't have to know it so much :) I suspect that, when I get it back all I want to do is root, get a recovery working, do a backup and then let it be. Unless there's some compelling reason to change it, the GPe stock rooted will suit me fine. Waiting a while for the info on what can and can't be done to firm up won't bother me a bit. This is my very first Sony phone, the first 5 or 6 were all HTC or Samsung starting with the original G1.
Oh, and I really am a madwoman on a bike-I have a homebuilt Yuba Mundo with a 52 volt/40 amp battery pack :)

Off to do copious reading of threads so as to not make anymore noob mistakes.....

so what seems to be the problem here?

explain ALLL the steps you did in DETAIL!

What I ended up doing that bricked the phone was flashed a sony stock FTF on a GPe phone (C6806) not knowing at the time that the partition sizes were different. It is indeed hard bricked and will be going back for (hopefully) warranty replacement. What I was having trouble with before that was flashing a recovery..which seemed to work, except that I didn't know about the up/down button to choose a recovery when the led flashes. I thought it hadn't installed correctly and wasn't able to get into recovery to do a backup....which led to me flashing an (Ultra) kernel that wouldn't boot the rom, which led to me flashing a stock sony rom....I was far too eager and thought I knew what I was doing. I can only plead stupid and stand mute to the court :)
It might be helpful if someone could start a GPe only section, as I didn't find that (at first, I have now) and ended up in the regular Ultra section...evidently some of the things that can be done on those don't apply to the GPe.
This is actually my very first brick-I've passed a milestone...probably not one I want to see again, either.

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
What I ended up doing that bricked the phone was flashed a sony stock FTF on a GPe phone (C6806) not knowing at the time that the partition sizes were different. It is indeed hard bricked and will be going back for (hopefully) warranty replacement. What I was having trouble with before that was flashing a recovery..which seemed to work, except that I didn't know about the up/down button to choose a recovery when the led flashes. I thought it hadn't installed correctly and wasn't able to get into recovery to do a backup....which led to me flashing an (Ultra) kernel that wouldn't boot the rom, which led to me flashing a stock sony rom....I was far too eager and thought I knew what I was doing. I can only plead stupid and stand mute to the court :)
It might be helpful if someone could start a GPe only section, as I didn't find that (at first, I have now) and ended up in the regular Ultra section...evidently some of the things that can be done on those don't apply to the GPe.
This is actually my very first brick-I've passed a milestone...probably not one I want to see again, either.

best to take it in for warranty claim/RMA