[GUIDE] Getting MMS/AGPS To Work

Search This thread

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
Summary:
Some providers make use of a different APNs for MMS and data. In such cases, leaving the APN type as "" will cause MMS not to work (see History for explanation). To fix this, we have to ensure the following:

Data APN Types are set to "default", or "default,supl" (if you're having issues with AGPS, use the supl one)
MMS APN Types are set to "mms"

In other words, APN types should not be left blank for any APN. Hope it helps. For a detailed description read below.

History:
Hi all,

I previously had MMS working perfect after following this instructions: http://www.systemscrafter.com/imho/archives/6, but since I switched to CyanogenMod BETA 3 MMS hasn't been working for me.

After some testing, I've found out the following. It seems that under APN Type, the one you use for data MUST be designated as "default", and for the MMS one, as "mms". Lower-case. The apns-conf.xml left out the "default".

Secondly, after doing that, it still did not work reliably. This was solved by removing one of the data APNs. In Cyan's apns-conf.xml, there were "Gee! (GPRS)" and "StarHub Internet". These 2 are essentially the same APN point (one uses proxy, one does not), configuration wise, just given different names. I removed "Gee! (GPRS)" and entered "default" under "StarHub Internet", and MMS is now working perfect.

Update: xiutian had a simpler fix. Simply go to "Gee! (GPRS)" and "StarHub Internet", make sure both of them are set to APN type "default". It works, just tested. In other words, never leave the "APN type" blank. It has to be either "default" or "mms". (Any other values? not too sure...)

Update #2: cyanogen has kindly informed me that setting it to "default" may cause AGPS to stop working. After doing some searching, I found this: http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/...how-can-i-get-internet-work-my-nexus-one.html. Apparently, setting it to "" makes Android use it for everything, which explains why MMS was not working for some of us. To fix the AGPS part, instead of using "default", we now use "default,supl".

Update #3: @bcpk on Twitter has kindly pointed me to the following article: http://wccftech.com/2010/09/09/solving-gps-nofix-problem-cyanogenmod-6-nexus/ Do check it out if you're having issues with CM6.

Hope it helps some of you.

Last edited:

samawil

Nov 15, 2006
Summary:
Some providers make use of a different APNs for MMS and data. In such cases, leaving the APN type as "" will cause MMS not to work (see History for explanation). To fix this, we have to ensure the following:

Data APN Types are set to "default", or "default,supl" (if you're having issues with AGPS, use the supl one)
MMS APN Types are set to "mms"

In other words, APN types should not be left blank for any APN. Hope it helps. For a detailed description read below.

History:
Hi all,

I previously had MMS working perfect after following this instructions: http://www.systemscrafter.com/imho/archives/6, but since I switched to CyanogenMod BETA 3 MMS hasn't been working for me.

After some testing, I've found out the following. It seems that under APN Type, the one you use for data MUST be designated as "default", and for the MMS one, as "mms". Lower-case. The apns-conf.xml left out the "default".

Secondly, after doing that, it still did not work reliably. This was solved by removing one of the data APNs. In Cyan's apns-conf.xml, there were "Gee! (GPRS)" and "StarHub Internet". These 2 are essentially the same APN point (one uses proxy, one does not), configuration wise, just given different names. I removed "Gee! (GPRS)" and entered "default" under "StarHub Internet", and MMS is now working perfect.

Update: xiutian had a simpler fix. Simply go to "Gee! (GPRS)" and "StarHub Internet", make sure both of them are set to APN type "default". It works, just tested. In other words, never leave the "APN type" blank. It has to be either "default" or "mms". (Any other values? not too sure...)

Update #2: cyanogen has kindly informed me that setting it to "default" may cause AGPS to stop working. After doing some searching, I found this: http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/...how-can-i-get-internet-work-my-nexus-one.html. Apparently, setting it to "" makes Android use it for everything, which explains why MMS was not working for some of us. To fix the AGPS part, instead of using "default", we now use "default,supl".

Hope it helps some of you.

I'm sorry to say that it did not help me.

I'm on Orange in Switzerland.
I had to input the apn myself and don't see where i can make it default or not.

Could you please provide me with a little more info?

Thanks

samawil

Nov 15, 2006
Awsome

For Orange CH I've found 2 things that work for me,
1) apn internet
mcc 228
mnc 03

2) apn wap
proxi 192.168.010.002
port 8080
mcc 228
mnc 03

Both these settings work to get data, but I still havent managed to find the correct mms settings, and the shop not only wants me to leave them the phone for an hour or 2 (i wonder why) but then they want me to pay them extra for the mms info..BS

I've been searching on the web but all the settings I've found and tried are not working.

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
I'm sorry to say that it did not help me.

I'm on Orange in Switzerland.
I had to input the apn myself and don't see where i can make it default or not.

Could you please provide me with a little more info?

Thanks

When entering your APN, scroll to the bottom, there's a option "APN type", tap on that and type in "default". To be honest I don't know why Google can't make it a ListBox where we can choose from...

samawil

Nov 15, 2006
When entering your APN, scroll to the bottom, there's a option "APN type", tap on that and type in "default". To be honest I don't know why Google can't make it a ListBox where we can choose from...

ahhh thanks,
I always thought apn type had something to do with the operator and therefor never even tapped on in.

I'll keep trying then with some of the settings I've found online, set the internet one to default, and see what happens, as soon as I can

Lou

samawil

Nov 15, 2006
success

yeaaayyy i finally got it.

Orange switzerland has 2 sets of settings, one for data and one for mms.
I had the correct information for both, but my mistake was in the apn type field.

So I went ahead and made the main data on default,supl and the other mms et voila...thanks...that link helped :)

L

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
esincho: More info would be good. You put "mms" in type for your MMS APN, right? What about your Data APN? What did you put in type for that?

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
Seems that the new Nexus One update has an updated apns-conf.xml.

Some of the settings have changed, particularly StarHub.
Code:
  <apn carrier="StarHub"
      mcc="525"
      mnc="05"
      apn="internet"
      type="default,supl"
  />

<apn carrier="Gee! MMS"
      mcc="525"
      mnc="05"
      apn="shmms"
      mmsc="http://mms.starhubgee.com.sg:8002"
      mmsproxy="10.12.1.80"
      mmsport="80"
      type="mms"
  />

I've also uploaded it here: http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=wysie/MISC/&file=apns-conf.xml

esincho: More info would be good. You put "mms" in type for your MMS APN, right? What about your Data APN? What did you put in type for that?

sorry bro U right. I'm not new 2 having 2 put in these settings, cause I am on Centennial and I buy all my phones unlocked cause Centennial phones suck. My internet works fine, 4 it under type I put default,supl cause I read somewhere this is what 2 put. Like I say, I have all the right mms info from the carrier cause I'm use 2 putting it in. I shows like it's connecting, but it don't maintain connection.
I just received a mms and was able 2 open it, but I still can't send any.

Last edited:

kiddyfurby

Jan 2, 2009
Hong Kong
how can i verify AGPS is working?
htc magic next to my n1 seems to show more accurate position, and we're in door so it couldn't be pure gps

pakalrtb

Jan 23, 2010
Roatan - Bay Islands
I can't seem to have MMS working on my N1. I am in Honduras and the settings seems to be pretty str8forward but my MMS are not going out.
I've set up the 2 apn and tried both the "default" and "defaul,supl" setting but nothing. The message is never sent out. I seems like the application is calling the APN but then it stops. I can see that for a second the icon of the Edge connection disappears when trying to send the MMS.
How would you configure your apn with the following settings :

nombre de la configuracion: MMS Claro
Pagina de inicio: 10.6.32.27/servlets/mms
Punto de Acceso o (apn): mms.megatel.hn
Dirreccion IP: 010.006.032.002
Usuario: mmsmegatel
Contraseña: mmsmegatel

P_

creepinshadow

Jan 20, 2010
I'm on AT&T right now,

i use APNdroid to disable Data, but i still want to be able to use MMS, so i set APNdroid to still allow MMS, and i made anothe APN with the necessary info and as APN type MSS

but it doesn't seem to work, any input?

creepinshadow

Jan 20, 2010
after some fiddling with it i fixed it myself

i took the default APN added MMS as APN type

and told APNdroid to ALLOW 3g data (so practically not use apndroid)

and NO MMS Port as seen at some other places, MMS port is <not set>

For those who wanna see entire settings for JUST MMS (not data)

Name: AT&T MMS
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Server: cingulargprs.com
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: <not set>
APN Type: mms

using APNdroid to disable Data and keeping MMS doesn't work, just set the APN type to MMS and you're good..

if you want to use both MMS and Data just keep the APN type field <not set>

AF9210

Mar 17, 2009
DATA/MMS

Thanks to wysie i was able to get data on internet2.voicestream with apn type default,supl and mms on epc.tmobile.... would anyone else know how to set up the apn for other apps like t-mobile my account that uses epc.tmobile.... what apn type would that be so android knows to switch it to that apn to access info?

Wysie

Jul 4, 2009
AF9210: From what I know there's only <blank>, default, supl and mms :(.
MarkM83: More info?

Crimso

Feb 23, 2010
Thank you soo much Wysie. you have no idea how long i've been searching for a solution to my mms/data issue on my Hero and then Nexus after it. I owe you a couple o beers :)