Q&A for twrp unofficial

Search This thread
M

Modding.MyMind

Well well, look what I just stumbled across lol.
@simonsickle, in regards to my last pm I sent you, feel free to ignore it. Your OP in this thread just answered my question.

You guys are fortunate to have him over here. Busy man, but can put forth some good developments when he has the time.

Now for me to get to work :)

metalspring

Nov 5, 2011
@simonsickle I found a possibly major flaw in your recovery, I have the sprint htc one m8 HK edition and at some point it stopped being able to properly flash or restore roms. What happened was any time I'd go to flash a rom it would fail then instantly reboot, and if I tried a full restore of a backup (system, boot and data partitions) it would also fail to restore and instantly reboot. Even if I just wiped system, data, cache and dalvik cache to prepare for flashing a new rom it would complete the wipes but then instantly reboot as well.
I did manage to restore a backup but only by skipping the restore of the data partition, but I still could not install a new rom or wipe without the instant reboots.

I was about to flash a ruu, but then I decided to at least try a different recovery just hoping to not have to start from scratch and viola philz touch recovery worked perfectly.
The issues i had with your twrp leads me to believe that somehow your twrp recovery might not be properly formatting the partitions in some causes causing any modifications to that partition (data partition?) to not execute properly and hence cause a failed flash and reboot.

Hopefully you have some insight into what the cause may be and can get it fixed (I've always been a fan of twrp and hate not being able to use it)
If it will help I can attempt to try your twrp again, maybe wiping and flashing in philz touch somehow fixed things so twrp will work again?

simonsickle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
@simonsickle I found a possibly major flaw in your recovery, I have the sprint htc one m8 HK edition and at some point it stopped being able to properly flash or restore roms. What happened was any time I'd go to flash a rom it would fail then instantly reboot, and if I tried a full restore of a backup (system, boot and data partitions) it would also fail to restore and instantly reboot. Even if I just wiped system, data, cache and dalvik cache to prepare for flashing a new rom it would complete the wipes but then instantly reboot as well.
I did manage to restore a backup but only by skipping the restore of the data partition, but I still could not install a new rom or wipe without the instant reboots.

I was about to flash a ruu, but then I decided to at least try a different recovery just hoping to not have to start from scratch and viola philz touch recovery worked perfectly.
The issues i had with your twrp leads me to believe that somehow your twrp recovery might not be properly formatting the partitions in some causes causing any modifications to that partition (data partition?) to not execute properly and hence cause a failed flash and reboot.

Hopefully you have some insight into what the cause may be and can get it fixed (I've always been a fan of twrp and hate not being able to use it)
If it will help I can attempt to try your twrp again, maybe wiping and flashing in philz touch somehow fixed things so twrp will work again?

This was never released for HK. Issues probably exist. I have a unified one flash twrp coming eventually. Give me a while for that.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Reactions: MassStash

metalspring

Nov 5, 2011
This was never released for HK. Issues probably exist. I have a unified one flash twrp coming eventually. Give me a while for that.

True, but the hk version supposedly is exactly the same as the regular version for sprint except for some software included in the stock rom, apparently there is some difference somewhere then. Hopefully the new unified version will fix it, if you need any testers later on, I'm certainly up for it

simonsickle

Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
True, but the hk version supposedly is exactly the same as the regular version for sprint except for some software included in the stock rom, apparently there is some difference somewhere then. Hopefully the new unified version will fix it, if you need any testers later on, I'm certainly up for it

Hboot and drivers are actually different too.

Reactions: AarSyl

EVOuser94

Aug 6, 2012
Bloomsdale
Would it be possible for "Themers" to get the ability to get native support for more animation options, like page transitions, and different loading bars? I would absolutely love to see a more theme friendly TWRP, as we are limited right now.

Thank you for all your hard work on this recovery by the way!

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Last edited:
Reactions: Magnum_Enforcer

simonsickle

Nov 25, 2012
Maryville
simonsickle.com
The official build is already unified.

No sense 'figuring out' what's already been figured out. See my github: https://github.com/CaptainThrowback/omni_device_m8_TWRP

That's what the official is based off of now.

P.S. And when I say "unified," I mean it works for all M8 variants, not just both Sprint variants.
I have fixed a few npe in the kernel when using older hboots and it handles zip verification better. Twrp and cannibal open touch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated: Extremely stable recovery w/ offmode charging
    They're not full reboots (read: not kernel panic) they're ui reboots. I saw this issue with TWRP before on my Jewel when I had pulled in some specific patches on Gerrit (which have since been merged after being updated).

I still believe the issue is there, personally. I will continue investigating, as will @simonsickle I'm sure.

I've completely fixed segfaults. Ill explain later.

Sent from my HTC M8WHL
    Don't think I can make it through the weekend without rooting, but there are like 3 or 4 different recoveries floating around out here and all of them seem shaky at best. I don't need exFAT support, but I would like one that doesn't have "bad code" and doesn't reboot randomly.

Thanks.

Don't worry. I'm fixing offmode charging today and posting a new recovery :)

Sent from my HTC M8WHL
    It's locked up because it wants to do offmode changing. Also the little reason we haven't got an updated recovery is because I have had to redo some things in the device tree because I refuse to use a precompiled dtb :)

Got ntfs working.. ExFat is being picky. I have the nofuse in the kernel source. I'm hoping of having it completed by Monday

Sent from my HTC M8WHL