Free GV incoming/outgoing calls using Vonage Mobile App

Search This thread

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
Vonage Mobile app has allowed android users to make free phone calls using GV number as CID. However, it didn't allow us to receive regular phone calls, which was a big drawback of this app.

But now, it's possible to receive free phone calls with "ReachMe Roaming."

1. Go to Vonage Mobile app>settings and choose "ReachMe Roaming"
2. Do NOT check "Inbound calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx will be received on Vonage Mobile."
3. Click "More ways to ..."
4. Write down the Vonage assigned new incoming 10-digit DID number.
5. Add this number as one of your GV forwarding numbers. It may take a while for GV to verify this number. It took me several tries.

Now you can make free WIFI GV incoming/outgoing calls.

Notes:
1. This is irrelevant to gtalk XMPP shutdown.
2. Vonage app uses GCM so very little battery drain.
3. Vonage app uses a better audio codec than other VOIP apps so the call is crystal clear especially over WIFI. The only issue I have on 3G is while driving on highway (cell tower switching).
4. ReachMe Roaming is not permanent. Once activated, it lasts for 14 days. After 14 days, you get a notification to renew (keep the same #).
5. If GV forwards incoming calls to both Tmo and Vonage numbers, then Vonage app will ring first and Tmo phone will ring 1 second later. Unfortunately, you can't decline Tmo phone to answer in Vonage. In my case, I only set GV forwarding to Vonage.
6. This free calling will expire in 9/4/2014. I hope Hangouts will be able to do regular phone calling before then.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
This works perfectly. And if I don't pick up in time, callers are greeted to my Google voice greeting. Same for not accepting a call. I did not need to set anything up in Google voice, other than to forward my incoming calls to the number in the Vonage app.

sirxdroid

Nov 21, 2012
ReachMe seems to deactivate automatically after 2 weeks at which time I assume you get a different Vonage DID if you re-activate it? I doubt they assign you a permanent number and still it would be a pain to remember to re-activate every 2 weeks.

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
ReachMe seems to deactivate automatically after 2 weeks at which time I assume you get a different Vonage DID if you re-activate it? I doubt they assign you a permanent number and still it would be a pain to remember to re-activate every 2 weeks.

I think you are right. This is not the perfect solution. But with gtalk xmpp shutdown, unfortunately the choices to use GV number to make free incoming/outgoing WiFi calls are very limited.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

emd2009

Jun 3, 2007
I'm still able to make and receive calls via groove ip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sirxdroid

Nov 21, 2012
For Wi-Fi only!? How about on mobile data? Do you miss incoming calls and/or have poor voice quality and/or drop calls when driving on highway and using Vonage Mobile app?

I don't think mobile data works well for VOIP when in motion, no matter the app. If you stay still then it can be usable depending on the signal and the connection type (3G, LTE).

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
Thanks for the tip. Just a reminder that incoming calls only work when connected to wifi. I received the confirmation call from Google Voice to activate the #, but the system did not register the confirmation code I typed into the dialer initially. When tried again via a WiFi connection, everything was resolved

Edit: Also, one other reminder (that in retrospect is obvious but is easy to overlook) is that you need to deactivate the call forwarding to your T-Mo # when you add your ReachMe roaming #... If not, the ReachMe Roaming fights with the Native App to answer the call and glitches ensue

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
Thanks for the tip. Just a reminder that incoming calls only work when connected to wifi. I received the confirmation call from Google Voice to activate the #, but the system did not register the confirmation code I typed into the dialer initially. When tried again via a WiFi connection, everything was resolved

Edit: Also, one other reminder (that in retrospect is obvious but is easy to overlook) is that you need to deactivate the call forwarding to your T-Mo # when you add your ReachMe roaming #... If not, the ReachMe Roaming fights with the Native App to answer the call and glitches ensue

I receive incoming calls via the app, even on mobile data. I'm not sure if there is a rule about connection (must be on LTE/hspa/3g, but not edge). WiFi is not required, at least not in my experience.

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
5e4a6uve.jpg

Extending the roaming is really easy. I get a notification to renew and one click will do. Same number.

update: sorry for the huge picture size. Didn't know how big it was when I posted from Nexus 4.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
5e4a6uve.jpg

Extending the roaming is really easy. I get a notification to renew and one click will do. Same number.

I haven't seen that notification yet. My service has the same end date, too. Did you see the notification in the notification shade, or only in the Vonage app?

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
From the notification shade.

I just received the notification. I went to renew, and it said the service couldn't be reached. My end date shows Dec 31, 1969. Next time I see it, I'll make a call first, to make sure everything is OK.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Went back into the Vonage app later, for something unrelated, and I saw where my service was reactivated, and I had a new service end date. I looked at the reachme mobile number, and it was blank. I saw a notification that said the service had been deactivated. I clicked it, and it shut the service off. I had to get a new number. It was a 10 second process to set up the new number, so I'm not worried about it, but I'll see what happens in the future.

macallik

Jul 20, 2013

update: sorry for the huge picture size. Didn't know how big it was when I posted from Nexus 4.

Hmmmm...Initially I left everything on the GV side of things as is, only adding the Vonage # to the forwarding page. When I had incoming calls, the Vonage app would pop up for a split second but then my T-mobile # would override the Vonage app and so if I answered the call, I used my plan minutes.

What I did after that was deselect the checkboxes under the Google Voice Forwarding section so that only Vonage was selected. That worked the day I tried calling myself using my backup FreedomPop phone, but it has stopped working since then. Initially when it stopped working, I would have to answer via my regular phone, but I would get a missed call notification from Vonage. Now, there isn't even a missed call notification from Vonage... I only see a missed call via my stock calling app.... it is as if the call is not even attempting to go through the Vonage app.

TL;DR:
  1. What forwarding boxes do you have checked under google voice
  2. Under ReachMe Roaming, I don't have the 'inbound calls to (gv #) selected... should I?
  3. Do you have/use Google Hangouts? I don't think that is the culprit but it is the only thing I have recently added really that interacts inbound calls.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
Hmmmm...Initially I left everything on the GV side of things as is, only adding the Vonage # to the forwarding page. When I had incoming calls, the Vonage app would pop up for a split second but then my T-mobile # would override the Vonage app and so if I answered the call, I used my plan minutes.

What I did after that was deselect the checkboxes under the Google Voice Forwarding section so that only Vonage was selected. That worked the day I tried calling myself using my backup FreedomPop phone, but it has stopped working since then. Initially when it stopped working, I would have to answer via my regular phone, but I would get a missed call notification from Vonage. Now, there isn't even a missed call notification from Vonage... I only see a missed call via my stock calling app.... it is as if the call is not even attempting to go through the Vonage app.

TL;DR:
  2. Under ReachMe Roaming, I don't have the 'inbound calls to (gv #) selected... should I?
  3. Do you have/use Google Hangouts? I don't think that is the culprit but it is the only thing I have recently added really that interacts inbound calls.

All I did was ensure ReachMe Roaming was enabled, and the check box with your number was not checked. Then I forwarded my incoming calls in Google voice to the ReachMe number. Now incoming/outgoing calls are handled by my Google voice number.

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
TL;DR:

1. Only "Vonage" number
2. No.
3. My hangouts in N4 has never interacted with inbound calls. How does yours interact with inbound calls?

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Tried the set up on my Nexus 4. Pretty cool.

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

acegolfer

Jun 2, 2008
After using this method for 2+ weeks, I consider this to be the most reliable VOIP solution for me ($30 Tmo prepaid + Nexus 4). This will no longer be free on 9/4/2014 but I hope Google Hangouts will be able to make free VOIP calls soon.

Reactions: macallik

macallik

Jul 20, 2013
1. Only "Vonage" number
2. No.
3. My hangouts in N4 has never interacted with inbound calls. How does yours interact with inbound calls?

Took forever but I figured it out. This issue was two-fold

1.) Google Forwarding: I disabled Call Forwarding in the main area of GV a few weeks ago:
Z7NNU7B.png

However, for customization, GV also allows you to set group-specific forwarding rules that will override the default Call Forwarding settings. As you can see below, it is currently set to only forward to my Vonage #:
le5wL5C.png

However, prior to today, my Group settings had all three boxes selected. Since the Group Setting in question were for 'All Contacts' the group-specific setting was overriding my default settings for every call I received:
pXBpLNC.png

2.) Google Hangouts: Acegolfer, this is what I was mentioning before. To clarify, it is not Hangout on my N4 that was creating an issue, it was the Hangout extension on my Chromebook. The extension is helpful because it is essentially Google Voice's ability to message people via your computer + WhatsApp ability to have Group conversations internationally + Skype's ability to have free video calls. One cool thing I learned about the Hangout extension is that if someone calls my Google confirmed # (in this case, my GV #), I can answer the call via my computer which will not use any of my T-Mobile minutes.

The drawback with regards to the Vonage app is that the Hangout extension is forwarding the call to the computer, not additionally routing calls to the computer...so if my computer is available, it takes cuts the line ahead of the Vonage app, and the Vonage app never rings.

A resulting issue with this is that the Hangouts extension only keeps track of Hangout conversations that originated from the app/extension, not phone calls (or text messages) that were routed to the Hangout App/Extension. What this means is if someone calls tries to set up a Hangout Call via the Hangout App and I miss it, I get a notification, but if someone attempts a regular phone call that rings on my computer and I miss it, the app/extension does not notify me or keep a history log of the attempted call. Additionally, since the call was never routed to my phone, there will be no record of a missed call there either. To get around this, I sign out of the Hangout extension on my computer if I don't plan on using it.

I have found that there is one exception where the phone can ring as well as my computer, and this is if I have check the 'Call forwarding' box next to my T-Mobile #, the phone will ring on my Computer via Hangouts, and ring on my Phone (as a call that uses Plan minutes).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vonage Mobile app has allowed android users to make free phone calls using GV number as CID. However, it didn't allow us to receive regular phone calls, which was a big drawback of this app.

But now, it's possible to receive free phone calls with "ReachMe Roaming."

1. Go to Vonage Mobile app>settings and choose "ReachMe Roaming"
    2. Do NOT check "Inbound calls to xxx-xxx-xxxx will be received on Vonage Mobile."
    3. Click "More ways to ..."
    4. Write down the Vonage assigned new incoming 10-digit DID number.
    5. Add this number as one of your GV forwarding numbers. It may take a while for GV to verify this number. It took me several tries.

Now you can make free WIFI GV incoming/outgoing calls.

Notes:
    1. This is irrelevant to gtalk XMPP shutdown.
    2. Vonage app uses GCM so very little battery drain.
    3. Vonage app uses a better audio codec than other VOIP apps so the call is crystal clear especially over WIFI. The only issue I have on 3G is while driving on highway (cell tower switching).
    4. ReachMe Roaming is not permanent. Once activated, it lasts for 14 days. After 14 days, you get a notification to renew (keep the same #).
    5. If GV forwards incoming calls to both Tmo and Vonage numbers, then Vonage app will ring first and Tmo phone will ring 1 second later. Unfortunately, you can't decline Tmo phone to answer in Vonage. In my case, I only set GV forwarding to Vonage.
    6. This free calling will expire in 9/4/2014. I hope Hangouts will be able to do regular phone calling before then.
    After using this method for 2+ weeks, I consider this to be the most reliable VOIP solution for me ($30 Tmo prepaid + Nexus 4). This will no longer be free on 9/4/2014 but I hope Google Hangouts will be able to make free VOIP calls soon.