[FAQ] General FAQs + Quick guide to rooting/flashing roms [20 JAN 13]

Search This thread

sweetnsour

May 11, 2011
After many posts trying to help newbies, there are a few questions that are alarmingly common. I hope that this thread will remove such questions from the development section.

For the guide, refer to the next post.

General

Q. Please help me overclock/install a rom/kernel on my phone!
A. See Quick guide to installing ROMs/kernels for newbies. If you just want to overclock, install just a kernel.

Q. What is Rom/Kernel? What is the difference between the two?
A. See Rom vs Kernel.

Q. What are all these acronyms and technical jargon? I'm fogged!
A. Feel free to refer the dictionary thread (highly recommended), and the Glossary and FAQ pages on the xda wiki.

Q. How to use ADB/Terminal commands?
A. See this thread.

Q. Which rom/recovery is better?
A. Read up on the differences between the roms/recoveries you are comparing and choose one that suits you.

Q. Does Flash work?
A. See here. You can also try ciaox’s ThunderSense, it has FlashLite.

Q. Do I need to downgrade my phone to root?
A. No! If you have 2.2, use z4root, if you have 2.2.1/2.2.2 use gingerbreak, if you have official GB use the method shown below.

Q. How to root my official GB (2.3.3)?
A. If you don't have custom recovery, then follow the instructions here. (If you don't know what 'recovery' means then you probably don't have it).
If you already have a custom recovery, then flash the latest Superuser-xx-xx.zip file (not the binary only file su-xx-xx.zip) from this page. Then download busybox installer from the market and install busybox.

Q. How to get back to stock? I need to give my phone to warranty services how do I revert to official LG rom?
A. Check this thread. It is the v10b 2.2 stock rom as a flashable zip package. If you can't access the recovery, then see if the firmware for your country is available here or use this tool. Download the firmware and use the KDZ tool to flash. You will find instructions to use the KDZ tool on this thread. For a picture guide, check this thread.
Also for official GB lovers, see this and this. It is a v20g rom in flashable zip package. Or if you'd rather flash v20c/g roms from LGMDP, the links for that can be found in this thread.
If you are on Optimus V, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025911
If you are on the Optimus T, see this post. Uses the KDZ method.

Q. How do I restore the stock recovery?
A. Download the original recovery zip file from here and flash it. (Yes, you can flash a recovery from within recovery itself)

Q. I have an Optimus T (P509) will all optimus one roms work for me?
A. For a detailed explanation of this issue check this post.

Q. How do I tell which roms will work on my phone?
A. Refer to the rom compatibility flowchart in the next post.

Q. How to use the KDZ method?
A. You will find instructions to use the KDZ tool on this thread. For a picture guide, check this thread.

Q. Okay, I'm no stranger to flashing roms and kernels. Are there any more tweaks I can do?
A. You can try a few things posted here and here. However bear in mind that some tweaks may/may not work well with a particular rom/kernel combo.

Q. Okay, I'm using a rom/ kernel that I like but there are a few bugs that I see. Can I inform the developer?
A. Sure, just give proper details while doing so. If you just yell at them with a semi-coherent 'Help! Plz fix this!' then they won't be able to do anything. Check if the issue you have has been acknowledged by the developer as a known bug.
Details you should provide while giving bug reports:
a. Kernel, ROM version.
b. OC (max and min) values and governer.
c. Description and steps to reproduce the bug.
d. A logcat if possible. Use alogcat from market or from 'adb logcat'.
e. Any /system/etc/init.d scripts installed (like for example supercharger, a2sd etc.)
f. Anything you did to try and fix the issue. (Do try something to fix the issue yourself first)
Also recommended is that you try and reproduce the bug on a clean install first.

Q. Is wiping battery stats necessary?
A. No. Wiping Battery Stats does nothing significant.
Source of this quote: This post by Dianne Hackborn, Android Framework Engineer.
Today's myth debunking:

"The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory."

No, it does not.

This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings.

That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Deleting it is not going to do anything to make your more device more fantastic and wonderful... well, unless you have some deep hatred for seeing anything shown in the battery usage UI. And anyway, it is reset every time you unplug from power with a relatively full charge (thus why the battery usage UI data resets at that point), so this would be a much easier way to make it go away.
Minor Troubleshooting

Q. On boot up, I keep running into force closes! What should I do?
A. In the event that you get a force close loop, you can boot into safe mode. A force close loop is caused when an app is involuntary closed by the system, launched again, and then closed, creating a cycle that never ends. In safe mode, third-party apps (which may be the likely cause of the force close loop) are not loaded. These third-party apps can then be uninstalled. To enter safe mode, hold the menu button at the boot animation.

Q. When I try to install an .apk file, the install button is grayed out. Why?
A. Do you have an app called Screen Filter? If so, deactivate it and try again.

Q. My files are not downloading in the proper format. What should I do?
A. Many are experiencing this issue with the stock browser. Try using another browser (such as Opera).

Q. Where can I get the APN settings for my phone?
A. See here.

Q. How do I calibrate my accelerometer/g-sensor?
A. See here.

Q. When I connect my phone to the computer, why isn't my computer detecting it? I already have the drivers installed.
A. Try inserting the cable into your computer first. Then, connect the cable to the phone.

Q. I am no longer getting push notifications. Why?
A. Enable background data in Settings>Accounts&Sync.

Q. I had a random reboot (or due to some other reason) and now all my apps have disappeared!
A. See this for the solution.

Q. A certain app is force closing!
1. Reboot. Did that fix it?
2. Try on a clean flash. Did that fix it?
3. Maybe the app is incompatible with P500 and/or your current ROM.

Q. Bootloop! OR Phone not booting!
A. Refer to flowchart in 'Bricking' section.

Q. Why isn't my phone connecting to the internet? It is stuck on "Obtaining IP address"!
A. With a file explorer, mount /proc/sys/net/ipv4 as RW.

ROMs/Kernels/*2sd

Q. I flashed a new rom and it's stuck at boot!
A. Wait for a while, first boot takes a long time. Still not booting? Did you wipe everything and use the proper recovery? Still not booting? Please re-download the file you probably have a corrupt file.

Q. What is all this ondemand, smartass, VR, NOOP etc.? Which is the best?
A. They are CPU frequency governors and I/O Schedulers. For a detailed description of governors and schedulers check this thread. For more in-depth explanations and other ways to tweak these see this thread. (Bear in mind, that thread is located in the Galaxy SII section, so all tweaks may not work with our phone)

Q.What is the difference between the BFS and CFS versions?
A. They use different schedulers. CFS stands for Completely Fair Scheduler and BFS stands for Brain **** Scheduler. Use google for the differences between the two. What you need to know is that froyo roms can only work with CFS, while gingerbread roms can work with both CFS or BFS.

Q. LG PC suite isn’t working!
A. LG PC suite doesn't work with custom ROMS!

Q. Then how will I backup my stuff?
A. Use titanium for apps, google servers for contacts, and SMS backup and restore for SMS.

Q. I'm flashing a new release of the rom, do I need to wipe everything?
A. No, just wipe cache and dalvik cache. But if you flashed a *2sd script previously, then you will need to flash the script again.

Q. I'm a T-mobile customer, and I miss WiFi calling!
A. Check out a way for adding WiFi calling to froyo roms here. You can also try RevoidOptT and/or CM 7.0.3 for Optimus T.

Q. Will this kernel work on stock rom?
A. Maybe, maybe not. Take a backup before flashing.

Q. Is this kernel compatible with this rom?
A. A .35 kernel will not work with a rom that uses a .32 kernel and vice versa. Check the kernel version of your rom in About Phone before choosing a new kernel to flash. If the versions are matching, then you can flash it, after taking a backup of course.
I'll make this simple:
franco's v1.1 kernel for official GB based roms, andy's phoenix, mik's CM7 6.6.x (and variants) and all roms based on .35 kernel;
franco's v19.4 kernel or fserve's GBS/Goldenleaf for all froyo roms, mik's CM7 6.5.x (and variants), void #forever and all roms based on .32 kernel.

Q. I flashed a kernel on a rom but now I want to go back to the original kernel
A. See if the dev has provided a kernel for his rom. If yes, just flash it. Else you have to restore a nand backup. You cannot restore the kernel separately.

Q. How to enable the use of init.d scripts (init.d functionality) in stock rom?
A. See this post.

Q. What is the use of partitioning the sd card?
A. It enables the use of *2sd scripts.

Differences between and a quick explanation of the various *2sd methods

Native apps 2 sd : This is the default apps to sd method found on all stock roms. This method moves the selected apps to the /mnt/asec mount point. You can do this by going to the settings menu of the app and selecting 'move to sd card'; or use the Apps2sd app from the market. The drawback with this system is that all apps can't be moved to the sd card, and app developers need to give apps 2 sd support to their apps.

Move2SD Enabler : This is a root requiring application that enables the moving apps to sd that don't have default support for it. You have to go to the application settings and choose 'move to SD card' manually. It works on a rooted stock rom.

CyanogenMod Application Install Location: When this field is set to 'external', all apps will be installed to the sd card, no partitioning required.

Darktremor's apps2sd : This is a script, which requires an ext2/3/4 secondary partition on your sd card. It moves the /data/app partition to the ext partition on the sd card. This method 'tricks'(for lack of a better word) the phone to think the ext partition is internal memory. So all apps that show that they are on internal memory are actually on the ext partition. All apps go to this partition, except those that have native apps2sd enabled by default. There is no need to do settings>applications>app>move to sd card, they rest on the ext partition by default. In fact, doing this will be pointless, since you will move the apps from the ext partition to the FAT partition, which will defeat its purpose. One drawback is that you can't choose which apps you want on the sd card and which on the internal memory. DT a2sd mounts the ext partition at /system/sd (for froyo) and /sd-ext (for GB). By this script, you also have the option of moving dalvik cache to the ext partition or to the cache partition. To see if your a2sd setup is running as you want, type 'a2sd check' in terminal after 'su'. To see all commands available type 'a2sd help' in terminal after 'su'. You can use the app 'A2sd GUI' to manage the settings of a2sd. This can't be used on stock rom.

Ungaze's data2sd : This method works by moving the entire data partition (not just /data/app as in DT a2sd) to the sd secondary ext2 partition. Since it moves the entire partition, all apps with data and dalvik cache as well will be moved to the sd ext partition. After it has been successfully applied, your internal memory would have increased by the value of your ext partition. This can't be used on the stock rom. (Unconfirmed: Maybe it works on stock official GB).

Link2SD : This app moves (links) apps of your choice to the ext2/3/4/FAT secondary partition of your sd card. Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time. This app has the advantage over DT a2sd that you can selectively choose apps to move to the ext partition and it can be used on a rooted stock rom.

Simple2ext : This app moves app,data and dalvik cache to your sd card's ext3/4 secondary partition. It can only be used in CyanogenMod7 and its variants.

Warning: You should never use any of the above methods simultaneously.

Q. Do I have to partition the sd card every time I flash a new rom?
A. No. You have to partition it only once when you made the decision that you were going to use an a2sd script. All the other times, just make sure you wipe the sd-ext partition before proceeding.

Q. Do I need to partition my sd card for this rom?
A. Unless the developer has mentioned this explicitly, there is no need to partition your sd card. Partitioning the sd card is only required for using one of the above mentioned *2sd methods.

Q. I flashed a a2sd/data2sd script and am stuck at boot/bootloop
A. Make sure it is a fresh install. Ungaze data2sd requires ext2 while DT a2sd can use anything. If it is DT a2sd, wait for a while, it generally reboots twice. Make sure that the rom you are using supports ext4. Boot into recovery and wipe cache then try booting again. If it doesn't work, then the rom isn't probably compatible with the a2sd method you are using.

Q. I am facing battery drain!
A. Battery drain is quite relative. However you could try something besides the regular guidelines. See if this is a common issue among your particular rom, if yes then report it to the dev. If you are on GB, see the battery usage graph and see if there are any wakelocks. Use BetterBatteryStats to see if any specific app is causing a wakelock. Reboot and see if wakelocks are fixed. Still facing drain? Do a fresh install without any *2sd scripts. If that cures the problem, then that means that your *2sd method is incompatible with your rom. Also try this with the kernel you have installed (if any). Still facing it? If you want to get to the bottom of this, try this . If it's too complicated, try another rom.
Lifehacker has done a great post explaining android task killers and why we shouldn't use them here.
AndroidCentral has a great post about android RAM management and why we shouldn't use task killers to keep it free here.
Member byrong has done an extensive study on the effect of CPU frequency and screen brightness on battery life here. It is an interesting read.
Think you lose the top 10% of your battery very fast? Member byrong has done research about the phenomenon here.
Member Xenova has written a good post enumerating the facts, debunking some myths and presenting some tips for lithium ion batteries here.

Recovery

AmonRa and CWM v5.0.2.0 and less: Key mapping: Volume +/- to go up/down, menu key(leftmost) to select, and back key to go back.
CWM v5.0.2.7 key mapping: Menu key (leftmost) is down, Home key is up, Back key is to go back, Search key (rightmost) is to select.

Q. In recovery it says verification failed
A. Toggle signature verification

Q. When I select flash zip I get the error
"Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by google in android 1.5."
What is the problem?
A. You are flashing an amend script zip file through clockworkmod recovery. What you need to do is to change the recovery to any version of AmonRa recovery then you can flash the file.

Q. Can I flash this with AmonRa/CWM recovery?
A. Read the first post of the thing you are flashing.

Q. Please make this compatible with AmonRa/CWM recovery!
A. Change the recovery. It is quite simple using these flashable zips. Yes, you can flash another recovery through recovery itself.

Q. What is this E:Bad boot message
A. Ignore it. It doesn't in any way affect the working of the recovery.

Q. Does wiping battery stats work in CWM?
A. Yes. It just doesn’t give a confirmation.

Q. Even on selecting mount usb storage my phone is not detected when in recovery mode.
A. You haven’t installed the proper LG drivers. If you have installed the drivers, then select 'USB MS Toggle' (AmonRa) or 'Mounts>Mount USB Storage' (CWM).

Q. My file failed to flash correctly!
A. If a file fails to flash correctly, try either mounting the partition it is associated with or redownloading the file.

Q. After partitioning the sd card through recovery when I select 'flash zip', the file is nowhere to be seen!
A. When you copied the zip to the sd card and then partitioned it, the partitioning process will wipe all data on the card. Hence the file gets deleted. Copy the file again.

Q. CWM does not ask me what kind of ext partition to create.
A. CWM creates an ext4 by default. If you want options, switch to amonra from here, or use a computer.

Baseband/Official GB

Q. How to flash the new GB?
A. Follow the instructions here carefully. Stop at this point
After this stage you can use the official v20G without any customization or root.

Q. I flashed a rom and now I have no signal/service/GSM!
A. Flash the new baseband from this thread. See this thread for a picture guide.

Q. What is this baseband I keep hearing about?
A. The baseband or radio (not to be confused with FM radio) is the part of the phone which communicates with the network. Operations with the phone such as flashing a different rom through recovery leave this part untouched and hence you get phone signal on all roms which support the same baseband. However, LG has changed the baseband version for their official GB, which means it can only be flashed with KDZ, LGMDP or LG update tool. It also means if you flash a rom which supports a different baseband then you can't get a signal. Currently, you can't change the baseband through recovery and you need to use the mentioned tools to change it.
Moral of the story: Whenever you want to switch between roms that require different basebands you will have to flash the appropriate baseband as well, else you won't get any network!!

Both KDZ and LGMDP flash the baseband. If you use LGMDP, you can choose to flash the entire rom (including the baseband) or flash just the baseband. KDZ can't flash just the baseband, it will flash the entire rom (including baseband). If you used KDZ, you will automatically get the correct baseband. If you flashed the entire rom through LGMDP then you automatically have the correct baseband. If you flashed just the baseband through LGMDP (from this thread) then you also need to flash the correct rom through recovery.

Q. How do I know which baseband I have?
A. If you connect your phone to the PC and fire up the LGMDP program it will show you your baseband. v20 is the new baseband while v10 is the old baseband. Otherwise you can determine your baseband by:
What was the last rom you flashed or are currently using?
a. If it was a rom based on the official GB and you were able to use the phone network (including data), then you have the new baseband (v20).

b. If it was based on the official froyo, any Cyanogenmod variants, AOSP GB, Andy's Phoenix, or Oxygen; and you were able to use the phone network (including data), then you have the old baseband (v10). (This condition only applies if you didn't apply mik's baseband patch)​
Q. My baseband shows as v07u-000-000-MAR-23-2009. Which one is this?
A. The baseband that is shown in About Phone is a false one. This will not help you determine your current baseband. Use the above way to determine it.

Q. If I want to revert to a .32 kernel from a .35 kernel do I need to flash the old baseband?
A. The baseband has nothing to do with the kernel! You can switch between kernels by simply flashing over! Make sure your rom supports the kernel though.

Q. How can I flash the new baseband?
A. Use this thread if you only want to flash the baseband. (Use this thread for a picture guide). As with any algorithm, read the instructions completely before doing the procedure.

Q. This method seems very complicated. Is there any simpler way to flash the baseband?
A. If you think the KDZ method is simpler then you can download the any v20 .kdz file using this tool and then use the KDZ method to flash it. There is currently no way to flash the baseband through recovery.

Q.Will roms for the new baseband on the Optimus One work on the Optimus T? Can the new O1 baseband work with OT?
A. See this post.

Q. I flashed a different baseband on my Optimus T, how can I get back to the original baseband?
A. See this (Doktornotor's guide mentioned in the post is here). Or, if you feel this method is too complicated, just flash the downloaded .kdz file using the KDZ method.

Q. When will my country get the official GB?
A. Asking this won’t make it come faster.

Q. I’m asking because I don’t want to use Romania/Russia version in my country.
A. What country version you flash does not matter in any way.

Q. What bugs does the official GB have?
A. See here.

Bricking

For bootloops or for phones not booting, follow this first (for such problems not involving LGMDP):
cfbwW.png

Q. I have some weird fastboot commands and the phone doesn't turn on!
A. Use this to unbrick.

Q. The phone is not responding at all!
A. Refer to [HOWTO] Phone not responding at all - last chance to repair.

Q. I was using KDZ updater and now I am stuck at boot!
A. Turn off the phone and do a hard reset (home+vol down+power) first. Not booting still? Use this thread to unbrick. See this picture guide if you want to try again.

Q. KDZ can brick my device?
A. Yes, if you planning to remove your battery while your phone is in emergency mode, it can be bricked. For more, you can check this thread.

Q. What about LGMDP?
A. Members doktornotor and cyber_avijit have nice tutorials/FAQs regarding the usage of LGMDP here and here respectively. You can also refer to this picture guide if you want.

If any question has not been mentioned, then search through the discussion thread for your rom first and see if it is a problem pertaining to your rom. If you are unable to find anything, you can ask it here.

Last edited:

mihir287

Apr 4, 2011
Quick guide to installing ROMS/Kernels for newbies.

Credits go to sweetnsour. Give him thanks.

As with any algorithm, read this entirely before following it.

Step 1. Root your phone.
There are three ways to do this. Check your Settings > About Phone > Android Version to see which one is the correct one for you.
a. If it is 2.2, use app z4root. Keep Settings > Development > USB debugging enabled. Open app and select permanent root. The phone will reboot.

b. If it is 2.2.1/2.2.2 use app gingerbreak. Do the same process as above.

c. If it is 2.3.3, then use this method. If that doesn't work, you can try Unlock root.​

Step 2. Install custom recovery. Follow one method which suits you. (Explanation of custom recovery here.)
a. If you aren't able to root your official GB using the method above, then to flash a custom recovery you will need to use the LGMDP method.Go to this thread. Follow the procedure given in the third post. If you were able to root your official GB, then use any of the methods given below.

b. Get this app: Flash Image GUI. Also get the recovery zip file of your choice from this page, and extract the file "recovery.img" from it. The recoveries in that link are only of Optimus One. If you are following this for another device, use a supported recovery and get it's *.img file. Put it on your sd card. Run the app, select recovery image, and browse to the .img file on your sdcard. The app will flash the recovery. This will work on the O1/Optimus T. This will also work on the Optimus V/M according to app's market page, but if you have any problems you can also try method 'd' given below.

c. Download the app ROM Manager. Select Install CWM recovery > Choose O1 (Even if you have Optimus T choose Optimus One. They are the same phone). The app will download the recovery file and flash the recovery. It will ask for superuser permissions in the process. Warning: If your phone has EDGE/GPRS and is inconsistent, don't use this method. Rom manager has a big fault wherein the downloaded recovery file is not checked for integrity, i.e. a lot of times rom manager has flashed incompletely downloaded recovery images and this has resulted in a fastboot brick for many users. There is a chance of a fastboot brick happening to you if you use this method on an unreliable data connection. You have been warned. If this happens to you, go here for instructions to unbrick. Also, after installing CWM recovery uninstall Rom manager app, you won't be needing it again.This will only work on O1/Optimus T.

d. If you have the Optimus V/M/S/Chic/C/LG Vortex then you can also follow the instructions posted on this thread. The instructions are a bit long and the thread kind of intimidating, but re-read it to understand it. If you don't understand anything, ask here.​

Step 3: Once that is done, you can back up your apps if you want to (this is optional). Download titanium backup. Open the app and backup only the user apps (not the system data). Open the app>menu button>batch>run "backup all user apps".

Step 4: Reboot into recovery. This can be done in rom manager (not recommended) or by turning off the phone and then holding home+vol down+power (recommended).

If you have AmonRa recovery (It says "Build : RA-thunder*-x.x.x-GNM" at the bottom), or Clockworkmod recovery v5.0.2.0 or less (It says the version number at the top and bottom of the recovery screen), then the key mapping is:

Menu button = Select the highlighted option
Vol up = Go up
Vol down = Go down
Back button = Go back to the previous menu

If you have Clockworkmod recovey v5.0.2.7, then the key mapping is:

Menu key = Go down
Home key = Go up
Back key = Go back
Search key (rightmost) = Select the highligted option

Select Backup/Restore. Then select backup and let it sit and backup the phone. (Everything in this parentheses is optional but recommended. I suggest copying all of the contents from your sdcard onto your computer. Doing this will also leave you with a copy of your backup on your computer. In the event that you want to revert back to stock, you can restore this backup. You might ask, why would I want a backup on my computer when it is already on my phone? Well, in case you accidentally delete your backup, you still have a copy of it on your computer.)

Step 5: Download the rom of your choice. (For people just wanting to overclock, download just a kernel). A repository of roms and kernels can be found here. See this flowchart for downloading the correct ROM/kernel. The flowchart is only for perfectly compatible combinations, i.e. without the use of any baseband patches. Rom compatibility flowchart:
eRDHF.png

Kernel compatibility:

• .32 Kernel tree: Must be flashed only on:
    - CM7 6.5.x and ALL CM7 6.5.x based ROMs
    - Froyo Stock/cooked ROMs based on froyo
  • - Phoenix ROM

• .35 Kernel tree:
    - All CM7 6.6.x based ROMS
    - Cooked roms based on Official GB 2.3.3
    - Oxygen ROM
    - Optimus Net port
    - Optimus Pro port

Download any rom/kernel from the repository as per your conclusion from the flowchart. Transfer the zip file to your sd card.
Read on the first page of the rom you want whether google apps (or gapps, as they are called) are required. If yes, then download the appropriate gapps zip file and transfer it to your sd card as well.

Step 6: Reboot back into recovery. On the first menu, select 'Wipe data/factory reset'. If you want to flash just a kernel then just select 'Wipe cache' from main menu and advanced> wipe dalvik cache.

Step 7: Go back to the first menu and select install zip from sdcard. Then select choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the directory where you copied (or downloaded) your rom/kernel to. Select the file of your rom, and select yes. Let your phone flash the rom. If it gives you a 'Wrong digest, verification failed' error then go to install zip menu again and choose 'toggle signature verification' before trying again. Once the rom has been flashed, if gapps are required, reboot the phone once and then flash the gapps.

Step 8: Once that is done, reboot your phone. If you did the optional step earlier (backing up your apps with titanium backup) you can now restore them. Download titanium backup again and in the app there will be an option to restore all of your apps (in titanium backup pro, it is menu button>batch>run "restore all apps with data"). If you installed a kernel then all your apps will be secure and you won't need to restore your apps. Other than that you are done!

If you applied just a kernel for purposes of overclocking, use an app like No-frills CPU Control. Set the minimum freq to 480 and the maximum as per your wishes. Bear in mind that the maximum stable frequency varies from phone to phone. So while some people are stable at 806, others are unstable even at 691. Rule of thumb, keep it at 691, run it for a few hours, and then take it to the next step if it is stable.

After following this procedure, if later you want to flash another rom, no need to begin again at rooting, you can follow from step 3 and onwards.

Warning: Don't use Flash Image GUI to flash kernels. It has been reported to cause fastboot brick when flashing kernels.

As a newcomer if you followed this guide for the first time, then you wouldn't have any idea of what the hell happened on your phone. Now that you have tasted first blood of modding, please read the dictionary thread and understand exactly what you did. XDA Developers is all about understanding the journey, not the end result.

Last edited:

mihir287

Apr 4, 2011
@Moderator thanks for sticking this. Hope the thread is useful for users and helps in reducing forum clutter :)

Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: tirduke
D

Deleted member 4222229

Hello,
I want to manually flash V20E_00.kdz (using KDz...russian) which is the euro open unbranded firmware. My phone was bought from Vodafone Romania (with a branded firmware) and unlocked after few weeks. In present I have Mik's CM7 v6.5.7 with ClockworkMod 3.1.0.0 on the phone. I only flashed with KDZ a branded Vodafone RO firmware (downgrading, I made update with lg tool at v20g and at that time was not possible to root).
Q: Is it possible to flash v20e (unbranded, open eu) on my phone that had innitially a branded firmware withot killing it? (this question can be added like a general one so that i am also posting here) please help, i've seen a lot of people having problem with kdz after using it second time

I've managed to do that and I can say it worked, now I have an unbranded original firmware. Thanks mihir287 (I've already used the button :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

mihir287

Apr 4, 2011
I don't know about the safety of the kdz updater, having used it only once, but any .kdz firmware can be flashed using the kdz tool irrespective of the phones previous firmware. Just bear in mind the kdz process wipes everything.

mihir287

Apr 4, 2011
im using stock 2.3.3 on my O1 and have backed up my stock..if i flash my mobile with CM 7.1 and have some issues with it then can i flash it back to backed up stock..

Yes. Stock 2.3.3 has new baseband, for CM7 you will need the old baseband. Flash the old baseband first. But if you ever wish to get back to stock, you will need to flash the new baseband and then your backup.

sweetnsour

May 11, 2011
hey mihir287, how about adding the links to rom-specific discussion threads? i was thinking, since this thread is stickied, a lot of people will flock to this thread and if the general faqs cannot help them, at least they know where to go for answers to any rom-specific problems

if you do agree with me, here are some links ive found so far:
mik's CM7
andy's CM7
noejn's void. #forever

if you dont agree with me, im cool with it :p

mihir287

Apr 4, 2011
hey mihir287, how about adding the links to rom-specific discussion threads? i was thinking, since this thread is stickied, a lot of people will flock to this thread and if the general faqs cannot help them, at least they know where to go for answers to any rom-specific problems

if you do agree with me, here are some links ive found so far:
mik's CM7
andy's CM7
noejn's void. #forever

if you dont agree with me, im cool with it :p

Thanks for the suggestion, but I expect people to look for the threads themselves. But I've added a line at the end, asking users to search through the discussion threads if they have any rom related problems. And besides, newbie questions are welcome here (to some extent) if that helps in reducing clutter in the development section :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After many posts trying to help newbies, there are a few questions that are alarmingly common. I hope that this thread will remove such questions from the development section.

For the guide, refer to the next post.

General

Q. Please help me overclock/install a rom/kernel on my phone!
    A. See Quick guide to installing ROMs/kernels for newbies. If you just want to overclock, install just a kernel.

Q. What is Rom/Kernel? What is the difference between the two?
    A. See Rom vs Kernel.

Q. What are all these acronyms and technical jargon? I'm fogged!
    A. Feel free to refer the dictionary thread (highly recommended), and the Glossary and FAQ pages on the xda wiki.

Q. How to use ADB/Terminal commands?
    A. See this thread.

Q. Which rom/recovery is better?
    A. Read up on the differences between the roms/recoveries you are comparing and choose one that suits you.

Q. Does Flash work?
    A. See here. You can also try ciaox’s ThunderSense, it has FlashLite.

Q. Do I need to downgrade my phone to root?
    A. No! If you have 2.2, use z4root, if you have 2.2.1/2.2.2 use gingerbreak, if you have official GB use the method shown below.

Q. How to root my official GB (2.3.3)?
    A. If you don't have custom recovery, then follow the instructions here. (If you don't know what 'recovery' means then you probably don't have it).
    If you already have a custom recovery, then flash the latest Superuser-xx-xx.zip file (not the binary only file su-xx-xx.zip) from this page. Then download busybox installer from the market and install busybox.

Q. How to get back to stock? I need to give my phone to warranty services how do I revert to official LG rom?
    A. Check this thread. It is the v10b 2.2 stock rom as a flashable zip package. If you can't access the recovery, then see if the firmware for your country is available here or use this tool. Download the firmware and use the KDZ tool to flash. You will find instructions to use the KDZ tool on this thread. For a picture guide, check this thread.
    Also for official GB lovers, see this and this. It is a v20g rom in flashable zip package. Or if you'd rather flash v20c/g roms from LGMDP, the links for that can be found in this thread.
    If you are on Optimus V, see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1025911
    If you are on the Optimus T, see this post. Uses the KDZ method.

Q. How do I restore the stock recovery?
    A. Download the original recovery zip file from here and flash it. (Yes, you can flash a recovery from within recovery itself)

Q. I have an Optimus T (P509) will all optimus one roms work for me?
    A. For a detailed explanation of this issue check this post.

Q. How do I tell which roms will work on my phone?
    A. Refer to the rom compatibility flowchart in the next post.

Q. How to use the KDZ method?
    A. You will find instructions to use the KDZ tool on this thread. For a picture guide, check this thread.

Q. Okay, I'm no stranger to flashing roms and kernels. Are there any more tweaks I can do?
    A. You can try a few things posted here and here. However bear in mind that some tweaks may/may not work well with a particular rom/kernel combo.

Q. Okay, I'm using a rom/ kernel that I like but there are a few bugs that I see. Can I inform the developer?
    A. Sure, just give proper details while doing so. If you just yell at them with a semi-coherent 'Help! Plz fix this!' then they won't be able to do anything. Check if the issue you have has been acknowledged by the developer as a known bug.
    Details you should provide while giving bug reports:
    a. Kernel, ROM version.
    b. OC (max and min) values and governer.
    c. Description and steps to reproduce the bug.
    d. A logcat if possible. Use alogcat from market or from 'adb logcat'.
    e. Any /system/etc/init.d scripts installed (like for example supercharger, a2sd etc.)
    f. Anything you did to try and fix the issue. (Do try something to fix the issue yourself first)
    Also recommended is that you try and reproduce the bug on a clean install first.

Q. Is wiping battery stats necessary?
    A. No. Wiping Battery Stats does nothing significant.
    Source of this quote: This post by Dianne Hackborn, Android Framework Engineer.
    Today's myth debunking:

"The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory."

No, it does not.

This file is used to maintain, across reboots, low-level data about the kinds of operations the device and your apps are doing between battery changes. That is, it is solely used to compute the blame for battery usage shown in the "Battery Use" UI in settings.

That is, it has deeply significant things like "app X held a wake lock for 2 minutes" and "the screen was on at 60% brightness for 10 minutes."

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.

Deleting it is not going to do anything to make your more device more fantastic and wonderful... well, unless you have some deep hatred for seeing anything shown in the battery usage UI. And anyway, it is reset every time you unplug from power with a relatively full charge (thus why the battery usage UI data resets at that point), so this would be a much easier way to make it go away.
    Minor Troubleshooting

Q. On boot up, I keep running into force closes! What should I do?
    A. In the event that you get a force close loop, you can boot into safe mode. A force close loop is caused when an app is involuntary closed by the system, launched again, and then closed, creating a cycle that never ends. In safe mode, third-party apps (which may be the likely cause of the force close loop) are not loaded. These third-party apps can then be uninstalled. To enter safe mode, hold the menu button at the boot animation.

Q. When I try to install an .apk file, the install button is grayed out. Why?
    A. Do you have an app called Screen Filter? If so, deactivate it and try again.

Q. My files are not downloading in the proper format. What should I do?
    A. Many are experiencing this issue with the stock browser. Try using another browser (such as Opera).

Q. Where can I get the APN settings for my phone?
    A. See here.

Q. How do I calibrate my accelerometer/g-sensor?
    A. See here.

Q. When I connect my phone to the computer, why isn't my computer detecting it? I already have the drivers installed.
    A. Try inserting the cable into your computer first. Then, connect the cable to the phone.

Q. I am no longer getting push notifications. Why?
    A. Enable background data in Settings>Accounts&Sync.

Q. I had a random reboot (or due to some other reason) and now all my apps have disappeared!
    A. See this for the solution.

Q. A certain app is force closing!
    1. Reboot. Did that fix it?
    2. Try on a clean flash. Did that fix it?
    3. Maybe the app is incompatible with P500 and/or your current ROM.

Q. Bootloop! OR Phone not booting!
    A. Refer to flowchart in 'Bricking' section.

Q. Why isn't my phone connecting to the internet? It is stuck on "Obtaining IP address"!
    A. With a file explorer, mount /proc/sys/net/ipv4 as RW.

ROMs/Kernels/*2sd

Q. I flashed a new rom and it's stuck at boot!
    A. Wait for a while, first boot takes a long time. Still not booting? Did you wipe everything and use the proper recovery? Still not booting? Please re-download the file you probably have a corrupt file.

Q. What is all this ondemand, smartass, VR, NOOP etc.? Which is the best?
    A. They are CPU frequency governors and I/O Schedulers. For a detailed description of governors and schedulers check this thread. For more in-depth explanations and other ways to tweak these see this thread. (Bear in mind, that thread is located in the Galaxy SII section, so all tweaks may not work with our phone)

Q.What is the difference between the BFS and CFS versions?
    A. They use different schedulers. CFS stands for Completely Fair Scheduler and BFS stands for Brain **** Scheduler. Use google for the differences between the two. What you need to know is that froyo roms can only work with CFS, while gingerbread roms can work with both CFS or BFS.

Q. LG PC suite isn’t working!
    A. LG PC suite doesn't work with custom ROMS!

Q. Then how will I backup my stuff?
    A. Use titanium for apps, google servers for contacts, and SMS backup and restore for SMS.

Q. I'm flashing a new release of the rom, do I need to wipe everything?
    A. No, just wipe cache and dalvik cache. But if you flashed a *2sd script previously, then you will need to flash the script again.

Q. I'm a T-mobile customer, and I miss WiFi calling!
    A. Check out a way for adding WiFi calling to froyo roms here. You can also try RevoidOptT and/or CM 7.0.3 for Optimus T.

Q. Will this kernel work on stock rom?
    A. Maybe, maybe not. Take a backup before flashing.

Q. Is this kernel compatible with this rom?
    A. A .35 kernel will not work with a rom that uses a .32 kernel and vice versa. Check the kernel version of your rom in About Phone before choosing a new kernel to flash. If the versions are matching, then you can flash it, after taking a backup of course.
    I'll make this simple:
    franco's v1.1 kernel for official GB based roms, andy's phoenix, mik's CM7 6.6.x (and variants) and all roms based on .35 kernel;
    franco's v19.4 kernel or fserve's GBS/Goldenleaf for all froyo roms, mik's CM7 6.5.x (and variants), void #forever and all roms based on .32 kernel.

Q. I flashed a kernel on a rom but now I want to go back to the original kernel
    A. See if the dev has provided a kernel for his rom. If yes, just flash it. Else you have to restore a nand backup. You cannot restore the kernel separately.

Q. How to enable the use of init.d scripts (init.d functionality) in stock rom?
    A. See this post.

Q. What is the use of partitioning the sd card?
    A. It enables the use of *2sd scripts.

Differences between and a quick explanation of the various *2sd methods

Native apps 2 sd : This is the default apps to sd method found on all stock roms. This method moves the selected apps to the /mnt/asec mount point. You can do this by going to the settings menu of the app and selecting 'move to sd card'; or use the Apps2sd app from the market. The drawback with this system is that all apps can't be moved to the sd card, and app developers need to give apps 2 sd support to their apps.

Move2SD Enabler : This is a root requiring application that enables the moving apps to sd that don't have default support for it. You have to go to the application settings and choose 'move to SD card' manually. It works on a rooted stock rom.

CyanogenMod Application Install Location: When this field is set to 'external', all apps will be installed to the sd card, no partitioning required.

Darktremor's apps2sd : This is a script, which requires an ext2/3/4 secondary partition on your sd card. It moves the /data/app partition to the ext partition on the sd card. This method 'tricks'(for lack of a better word) the phone to think the ext partition is internal memory. So all apps that show that they are on internal memory are actually on the ext partition. All apps go to this partition, except those that have native apps2sd enabled by default. There is no need to do settings>applications>app>move to sd card, they rest on the ext partition by default. In fact, doing this will be pointless, since you will move the apps from the ext partition to the FAT partition, which will defeat its purpose. One drawback is that you can't choose which apps you want on the sd card and which on the internal memory. DT a2sd mounts the ext partition at /system/sd (for froyo) and /sd-ext (for GB). By this script, you also have the option of moving dalvik cache to the ext partition or to the cache partition. To see if your a2sd setup is running as you want, type 'a2sd check' in terminal after 'su'. To see all commands available type 'a2sd help' in terminal after 'su'. You can use the app 'A2sd GUI' to manage the settings of a2sd. This can't be used on stock rom.

Ungaze's data2sd : This method works by moving the entire data partition (not just /data/app as in DT a2sd) to the sd secondary ext2 partition. Since it moves the entire partition, all apps with data and dalvik cache as well will be moved to the sd ext partition. After it has been successfully applied, your internal memory would have increased by the value of your ext partition. This can't be used on the stock rom. (Unconfirmed: Maybe it works on stock official GB).

Link2SD : This app moves (links) apps of your choice to the ext2/3/4/FAT secondary partition of your sd card. Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time. This app has the advantage over DT a2sd that you can selectively choose apps to move to the ext partition and it can be used on a rooted stock rom.

Simple2ext : This app moves app,data and dalvik cache to your sd card's ext3/4 secondary partition. It can only be used in CyanogenMod7 and its variants.

Warning: You should never use any of the above methods simultaneously.

Q. Do I have to partition the sd card every time I flash a new rom?
    A. No. You have to partition it only once when you made the decision that you were going to use an a2sd script. All the other times, just make sure you wipe the sd-ext partition before proceeding.

Q. Do I need to partition my sd card for this rom?
    A. Unless the developer has mentioned this explicitly, there is no need to partition your sd card. Partitioning the sd card is only required for using one of the above mentioned *2sd methods.

Q. I flashed a a2sd/data2sd script and am stuck at boot/bootloop
    A. Make sure it is a fresh install. Ungaze data2sd requires ext2 while DT a2sd can use anything. If it is DT a2sd, wait for a while, it generally reboots twice. Make sure that the rom you are using supports ext4. Boot into recovery and wipe cache then try booting again. If it doesn't work, then the rom isn't probably compatible with the a2sd method you are using.

Q. I am facing battery drain!
    A. Battery drain is quite relative. However you could try something besides the regular guidelines. See if this is a common issue among your particular rom, if yes then report it to the dev. If you are on GB, see the battery usage graph and see if there are any wakelocks. Use BetterBatteryStats to see if any specific app is causing a wakelock. Reboot and see if wakelocks are fixed. Still facing drain? Do a fresh install without any *2sd scripts. If that cures the problem, then that means that your *2sd method is incompatible with your rom. Also try this with the kernel you have installed (if any). Still facing it? If you want to get to the bottom of this, try this . If it's too complicated, try another rom.
    Lifehacker has done a great post explaining android task killers and why we shouldn't use them here.
    AndroidCentral has a great post about android RAM management and why we shouldn't use task killers to keep it free here.
    Member byrong has done an extensive study on the effect of CPU frequency and screen brightness on battery life here. It is an interesting read.
    Think you lose the top 10% of your battery very fast? Member byrong has done research about the phenomenon here.
    Member Xenova has written a good post enumerating the facts, debunking some myths and presenting some tips for lithium ion batteries here.

Recovery

AmonRa and CWM v5.0.2.0 and less: Key mapping: Volume +/- to go up/down, menu key(leftmost) to select, and back key to go back.
    CWM v5.0.2.7 key mapping: Menu key (leftmost) is down, Home key is up, Back key is to go back, Search key (rightmost) is to select.

Q. In recovery it says verification failed
    A. Toggle signature verification

Q. When I select flash zip I get the error
    "Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
    Amend scripting was deprecated by google in android 1.5."
    What is the problem?
    A. You are flashing an amend script zip file through clockworkmod recovery. What you need to do is to change the recovery to any version of AmonRa recovery then you can flash the file.

Q. Can I flash this with AmonRa/CWM recovery?
    A. Read the first post of the thing you are flashing.

Q. Please make this compatible with AmonRa/CWM recovery!
    A. Change the recovery. It is quite simple using these flashable zips. Yes, you can flash another recovery through recovery itself.

Q. What is this E:Bad boot message
    A. Ignore it. It doesn't in any way affect the working of the recovery.

Q. Does wiping battery stats work in CWM?
    A. Yes. It just doesn’t give a confirmation.

Q. Even on selecting mount usb storage my phone is not detected when in recovery mode.
    A. You haven’t installed the proper LG drivers. If you have installed the drivers, then select 'USB MS Toggle' (AmonRa) or 'Mounts>Mount USB Storage' (CWM).

Q. My file failed to flash correctly!
    A. If a file fails to flash correctly, try either mounting the partition it is associated with or redownloading the file.

Q. After partitioning the sd card through recovery when I select 'flash zip', the file is nowhere to be seen!
    A. When you copied the zip to the sd card and then partitioned it, the partitioning process will wipe all data on the card. Hence the file gets deleted. Copy the file again.

Q. CWM does not ask me what kind of ext partition to create.
    A. CWM creates an ext4 by default. If you want options, switch to amonra from here, or use a computer.

Baseband/Official GB

Q. How to flash the new GB?
    A. Follow the instructions here carefully. Stop at this point
    After this stage you can use the official v20G without any customization or root.

Q. I flashed a rom and now I have no signal/service/GSM!
    A. Flash the new baseband from this thread. See this thread for a picture guide.

Q. What is this baseband I keep hearing about?
    A. The baseband or radio (not to be confused with FM radio) is the part of the phone which communicates with the network. Operations with the phone such as flashing a different rom through recovery leave this part untouched and hence you get phone signal on all roms which support the same baseband. However, LG has changed the baseband version for their official GB, which means it can only be flashed with KDZ, LGMDP or LG update tool. It also means if you flash a rom which supports a different baseband then you can't get a signal. Currently, you can't change the baseband through recovery and you need to use the mentioned tools to change it.
    Moral of the story: Whenever you want to switch between roms that require different basebands you will have to flash the appropriate baseband as well, else you won't get any network!!

Both KDZ and LGMDP flash the baseband. If you use LGMDP, you can choose to flash the entire rom (including the baseband) or flash just the baseband. KDZ can't flash just the baseband, it will flash the entire rom (including baseband). If you used KDZ, you will automatically get the correct baseband. If you flashed the entire rom through LGMDP then you automatically have the correct baseband. If you flashed just the baseband through LGMDP (from this thread) then you also need to flash the correct rom through recovery.

Q. How do I know which baseband I have?
    A. If you connect your phone to the PC and fire up the LGMDP program it will show you your baseband. v20 is the new baseband while v10 is the old baseband. Otherwise you can determine your baseband by:
    What was the last rom you flashed or are currently using?
    a. If it was a rom based on the official GB and you were able to use the phone network (including data), then you have the new baseband (v20).

b. If it was based on the official froyo, any Cyanogenmod variants, AOSP GB, Andy's Phoenix, or Oxygen; and you were able to use the phone network (including data), then you have the old baseband (v10). (This condition only applies if you didn't apply mik's baseband patch)​
    Q. My baseband shows as v07u-000-000-MAR-23-2009. Which one is this?
    A. The baseband that is shown in About Phone is a false one. This will not help you determine your current baseband. Use the above way to determine it.

Q. If I want to revert to a .32 kernel from a .35 kernel do I need to flash the old baseband?
    A. The baseband has nothing to do with the kernel! You can switch between kernels by simply flashing over! Make sure your rom supports the kernel though.

Q. How can I flash the new baseband?
    A. Use this thread if you only want to flash the baseband. (Use this thread for a picture guide). As with any algorithm, read the instructions completely before doing the procedure.

Q. This method seems very complicated. Is there any simpler way to flash the baseband?
    A. If you think the KDZ method is simpler then you can download the any v20 .kdz file using this tool and then use the KDZ method to flash it. There is currently no way to flash the baseband through recovery.

Q.Will roms for the new baseband on the Optimus One work on the Optimus T? Can the new O1 baseband work with OT?
    A. See this post.

Q. I flashed a different baseband on my Optimus T, how can I get back to the original baseband?
    A. See this (Doktornotor's guide mentioned in the post is here). Or, if you feel this method is too complicated, just flash the downloaded .kdz file using the KDZ method.

Q. When will my country get the official GB?
    A. Asking this won’t make it come faster.

Q. I’m asking because I don’t want to use Romania/Russia version in my country.
    A. What country version you flash does not matter in any way.

Q. What bugs does the official GB have?
    A. See here.

Bricking

For bootloops or for phones not booting, follow this first (for such problems not involving LGMDP):
    cfbwW.png

Q. I have some weird fastboot commands and the phone doesn't turn on!
    A. Use this to unbrick.

Q. The phone is not responding at all!
    A. Refer to [HOWTO] Phone not responding at all - last chance to repair.

Q. I was using KDZ updater and now I am stuck at boot!
    A. Turn off the phone and do a hard reset (home+vol down+power) first. Not booting still? Use this thread to unbrick. See this picture guide if you want to try again.

Q. KDZ can brick my device?
    A. Yes, if you planning to remove your battery while your phone is in emergency mode, it can be bricked. For more, you can check this thread.

Q. What about LGMDP?
    A. Members doktornotor and cyber_avijit have nice tutorials/FAQs regarding the usage of LGMDP here and here respectively. You can also refer to this picture guide if you want.

If any question has not been mentioned, then search through the discussion thread for your rom first and see if it is a problem pertaining to your rom. If you are unable to find anything, you can ask it here.
    Quick guide to installing ROMS/Kernels for newbies.

Credits go to sweetnsour. Give him thanks.

As with any algorithm, read this entirely before following it.

Step 1. Root your phone.
    There are three ways to do this. Check your Settings > About Phone > Android Version to see which one is the correct one for you.
    a. If it is 2.2, use app z4root. Keep Settings > Development > USB debugging enabled. Open app and select permanent root. The phone will reboot.

b. If it is 2.2.1/2.2.2 use app gingerbreak. Do the same process as above.

c. If it is 2.3.3, then use this method. If that doesn't work, you can try Unlock root.​

Step 2. Install custom recovery. Follow one method which suits you. (Explanation of custom recovery here.)
    a. If you aren't able to root your official GB using the method above, then to flash a custom recovery you will need to use the LGMDP method.Go to this thread. Follow the procedure given in the third post. If you were able to root your official GB, then use any of the methods given below.

b. Get this app: Flash Image GUI. Also get the recovery zip file of your choice from this page, and extract the file "recovery.img" from it. The recoveries in that link are only of Optimus One. If you are following this for another device, use a supported recovery and get it's *.img file. Put it on your sd card. Run the app, select recovery image, and browse to the .img file on your sdcard. The app will flash the recovery. This will work on the O1/Optimus T. This will also work on the Optimus V/M according to app's market page, but if you have any problems you can also try method 'd' given below.

c. Download the app ROM Manager. Select Install CWM recovery > Choose O1 (Even if you have Optimus T choose Optimus One. They are the same phone). The app will download the recovery file and flash the recovery. It will ask for superuser permissions in the process. Warning: If your phone has EDGE/GPRS and is inconsistent, don't use this method. Rom manager has a big fault wherein the downloaded recovery file is not checked for integrity, i.e. a lot of times rom manager has flashed incompletely downloaded recovery images and this has resulted in a fastboot brick for many users. There is a chance of a fastboot brick happening to you if you use this method on an unreliable data connection. You have been warned. If this happens to you, go here for instructions to unbrick. Also, after installing CWM recovery uninstall Rom manager app, you won't be needing it again.This will only work on O1/Optimus T.

d. If you have the Optimus V/M/S/Chic/C/LG Vortex then you can also follow the instructions posted on this thread. The instructions are a bit long and the thread kind of intimidating, but re-read it to understand it. If you don't understand anything, ask here.​

Step 3: Once that is done, you can back up your apps if you want to (this is optional). Download titanium backup. Open the app and backup only the user apps (not the system data). Open the app>menu button>batch>run "backup all user apps".

Step 4: Reboot into recovery. This can be done in rom manager (not recommended) or by turning off the phone and then holding home+vol down+power (recommended).

If you have AmonRa recovery (It says "Build : RA-thunder*-x.x.x-GNM" at the bottom), or Clockworkmod recovery v5.0.2.0 or less (It says the version number at the top and bottom of the recovery screen), then the key mapping is:

Menu button = Select the highlighted option
    Vol up = Go up
    Vol down = Go down
    Back button = Go back to the previous menu

If you have Clockworkmod recovey v5.0.2.7, then the key mapping is:

Menu key = Go down
    Home key = Go up
    Back key = Go back
    Search key (rightmost) = Select the highligted option

Select Backup/Restore. Then select backup and let it sit and backup the phone. (Everything in this parentheses is optional but recommended. I suggest copying all of the contents from your sdcard onto your computer. Doing this will also leave you with a copy of your backup on your computer. In the event that you want to revert back to stock, you can restore this backup. You might ask, why would I want a backup on my computer when it is already on my phone? Well, in case you accidentally delete your backup, you still have a copy of it on your computer.)

Step 5: Download the rom of your choice. (For people just wanting to overclock, download just a kernel). A repository of roms and kernels can be found here. See this flowchart for downloading the correct ROM/kernel. The flowchart is only for perfectly compatible combinations, i.e. without the use of any baseband patches. Rom compatibility flowchart:
    eRDHF.png

Kernel compatibility:

• .32 Kernel tree: Must be flashed only on:
      - CM7 6.5.x and ALL CM7 6.5.x based ROMs
      - Froyo Stock/cooked ROMs based on froyo
    • - Phoenix ROM

• .35 Kernel tree:
      - All CM7 6.6.x based ROMS
      - Cooked roms based on Official GB 2.3.3
      - Oxygen ROM
      - Optimus Net port
      - Optimus Pro port

Download any rom/kernel from the repository as per your conclusion from the flowchart. Transfer the zip file to your sd card.
    Read on the first page of the rom you want whether google apps (or gapps, as they are called) are required. If yes, then download the appropriate gapps zip file and transfer it to your sd card as well.

Step 6: Reboot back into recovery. On the first menu, select 'Wipe data/factory reset'. If you want to flash just a kernel then just select 'Wipe cache' from main menu and advanced> wipe dalvik cache.

Step 7: Go back to the first menu and select install zip from sdcard. Then select choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the directory where you copied (or downloaded) your rom/kernel to. Select the file of your rom, and select yes. Let your phone flash the rom. If it gives you a 'Wrong digest, verification failed' error then go to install zip menu again and choose 'toggle signature verification' before trying again. Once the rom has been flashed, if gapps are required, reboot the phone once and then flash the gapps.

Step 8: Once that is done, reboot your phone. If you did the optional step earlier (backing up your apps with titanium backup) you can now restore them. Download titanium backup again and in the app there will be an option to restore all of your apps (in titanium backup pro, it is menu button>batch>run "restore all apps with data"). If you installed a kernel then all your apps will be secure and you won't need to restore your apps. Other than that you are done!

If you applied just a kernel for purposes of overclocking, use an app like No-frills CPU Control. Set the minimum freq to 480 and the maximum as per your wishes. Bear in mind that the maximum stable frequency varies from phone to phone. So while some people are stable at 806, others are unstable even at 691. Rule of thumb, keep it at 691, run it for a few hours, and then take it to the next step if it is stable.

After following this procedure, if later you want to flash another rom, no need to begin again at rooting, you can follow from step 3 and onwards.

Warning: Don't use Flash Image GUI to flash kernels. It has been reported to cause fastboot brick when flashing kernels.

As a newcomer if you followed this guide for the first time, then you wouldn't have any idea of what the hell happened on your phone. Now that you have tasted first blood of modding, please read the dictionary thread and understand exactly what you did. XDA Developers is all about understanding the journey, not the end result.
    Hi

I need your help in piecing together the stuff by answering my queries (Answers should be related to the phone bought in India, if that matters in some cases).

About Phone:
    Model Number - LG-P500
    Android Version - 2.3.3
    Kernel Version - 2.6.35.10-perf lg-electronics@INFBA00091 #1
    Build Number - GRI40
    Software Version - LG-P500-V20c
    Mobile Service - BSNL

What I Have done till now:
    1. Rooted by using unlockroot. GingerBreak was not working on my phone.
    2. Installed ROM Manager from Android Play, which flashed the ClockWorkMod Recovery.
    3. Took a NAND Backup.
    4. Copied the Backup to PC.

What I Need to Know:
    1. Which Custom ROM is most stable, supporting all Functionality of Stock ROM (read few Functionalities Like Camera, Wifi, Wifi Tethering, Data Connection etc are not working in few Custom ROMs). I am Considering <update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-p500-signed.zip>. Is it the right one
    2. I understand Base Band has some thing to do with Data Connection, does the Custom ROM flashes even the base band. From various posts I understand that my Base Band is V20c which is evident from the Software Version (LG-P500-V20c). Do the Custom ROM have any dependencies on Base Band.
    3. I want to try overclocking my Phone. How should can I do it safely (least risk).
    4. I am not sure on the Cleaning/Formatting the Memory/SDCard, though I read in many posts. Can some one please explain me in laymen terms.

Your Help will be highly appreciated

The rom "update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-p500-signed" is for O1 newbaseband.
    1. Since you are on stock gingerbread 2.3.3 your phone is on newbasband.
    2. update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-p500-signed is pretty stable for me, this rom has some minor bugs while is still nightly, but at this stage of RC1 it can be used for "daily use"
    3. To be able to install the CM7 custom ROM you have to do the following:
    -put update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-p500-signed.zip on SDCARD (on root of the SDCARD no folders)
    -download and put also the GAPPS (Google Apps) on SDCARD (link for GAPPS http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip)
    After that reboot to RECOVERY and from CWM do the following:
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache
    -wipe dalvik cache (can be find on ADVANCED in CWM)
    -install zip from sd card:
    1. Install update-cm-7.2.0-RC1-p500-signed.zip
    2. After complete install don't reboot, install also the GAPPS gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
    3. REBOOT
    First boot it takes 5-10 minutes but after that everything will be OK.
    If you would like to overclock your phone you can do that from: SETTINGS-> CyanogenMOD SETTINGS->PERFORMANCE->CPU SETTINGS.

If i helped you press thank button.

No one is responsible if you damage your phone if you install a custom rom instead of using the original stock one.Also by installing a custom rom on phones in some countries you will loose the warranty, so you will do everything on your risk.
    I don't know about the safety of the kdz updater, having used it only once, but any .kdz firmware can be flashed using the kdz tool irrespective of the phones previous firmware. Just bear in mind the kdz process wipes everything.

D
    Deleted member 4222229
    Hello,
    I want to manually flash V20E_00.kdz (using KDz...russian) which is the euro open unbranded firmware. My phone was bought from Vodafone Romania (with a branded firmware) and unlocked after few weeks. In present I have Mik's CM7 v6.5.7 with ClockworkMod 3.1.0.0 on the phone. I only flashed with KDZ a branded Vodafone RO firmware (downgrading, I made update with lg tool at v20g and at that time was not possible to root).
    Q: Is it possible to flash v20e (unbranded, open eu) on my phone that had innitially a branded firmware withot killing it? (this question can be added like a general one so that i am also posting here) please help, i've seen a lot of people having problem with kdz after using it second time

I've managed to do that and I can say it worked, now I have an unbranded original firmware. Thanks mihir287 (I've already used the button :D)