[Q] HTC Desire freezes when switching from 3G to 2G

Search This thread

tocophonic

Feb 24, 2011
Vienna
Hello out there,
since I wiped my phone and updated to the most recent CyanogenMod 7 build (#262), my problem regularly freezes when switching from 3G to 2G mode. The only thing to get the device running again is to remove the battery and reinsert it again. If i'm still in an area or room with only 2G coverage, the phone freezes soon after boot-up.

Help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
toco

My phone:
HTC Desire (GSM)
PVT1 S-OFF
RADIO-5.17.05.23

CyanogenMod 7 20120225-NIGHTLY
Android ver. 2.3.7, kernel 2.6.37.6

erklat

Nov 14, 2010
What I'd do in this order:

1) stop using nightlies
2) change kernel
3) change radio

There was this guy whose phone froze every time he was in space with low or no 3G coverage, and I think changing kernel from snq's to some other solved it for him.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

tocophonic

Feb 24, 2011
Vienna
Thanks for your quick response!

Ok, I appreciate your advice. If the problem keeps occurring I will switch back to the latest stable.

But, still something strange about it: I had absolutely no problem the first weeks i was using this nightly (262 was since November 2011 the latest nightly until today), the problem started to occur from one day to the other.
I am using the radio version since probably half a year or even more, without any problems.
Also, 262 was reported (cyanogenmod forums, other forums) to be very stable on the Desire, almost no people reported having problems with it. That's why i decided to update to build 262. I for my part am suspecting a software being the cause for the freezes, but i have no clue which one.. I even checked the system logs.

As for the kernel: Call me a noob, but how do i change the kernel? I know how to root devices, flash recoveries and roms, but how can i change the kernel directly?

Greetings,
toco

erklat

Nov 14, 2010
As for the kernel: Call me a noob, but how do i change the kernel? I know how to root devices, flash recoveries and roms, but how can i change the kernel directly?

Kernel is flashed the same way as roms are. Make sure you use a correct one, manU 2.1 is probably the most popular of those which will work on cyanogenmod.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
if that doesn't work:

Dialer/

*#*#4636*#*#

phone settings > network type: WCDMA only

tocophonic

Feb 24, 2011
Vienna
Alright, one more thing: If I change the kernel to let's say Manu 2.1 - how can I switch back to the original CM7 kernel again? Just by reinstalling the CM7 ROM?

Thanks!

if that doesn't work:

Dialer/

*#*#4636*#*#

phone settings > network type: WCDMA only

Wait, if I set it to WCDMA only I can only access data services when in a 3G covered area, right? Thats not optimal either because i'm regularily visiting my parents on weekends, where only 2G coverage is available. Also in some buildings (esp. cellars) here in the city there is only 2G coverage.

bortak

Sep 28, 2010
London
Alright, one more thing: If I change the kernel to let's say Manu 2.1 - how can I switch back to the original CM7 kernel again? Just by reinstalling the CM7 ROM?

Thanks!

Wait, if I set it to WCDMA only I can only access data services when in a 3G covered area, right? Thats not optimal either because i'm regularily visiting my parents on weekends, where only 2G coverage is available. Also in some buildings (esp. cellars) here in the city there is only 2G coverage.

Yeah, but it can solve the issue, I get it intermittently sometimes too but after a reboot or two its usually fine.

tocophonic

Feb 24, 2011
Vienna
Yeah, but it can solve the issue, I get it intermittently sometimes too but after a reboot or two its usually fine.

I would have written you a PM but as I'm not yet allowed to (too few xda posts) I have to put the question here: What happens on May 7th (your signature)? Because i'm looking for an adequate successor to my Desire (~3,7" display) as well. :)

bertrand13

Jul 9, 2008
Marseille
I'm afraid your link does not work bertrand :( I get a 404 there. Can u please repost the link?

Sorry about late answer, I bought a Samsung SG2 so i forgot to check here

The right link is
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22302386&postcount=96

I have done that one month ago and no a SINGLE freeze
I had about 5 a week before

It was mostly difficult on a train trip.
I am a heavy user of those very fast french train and i suffered of freeze about 3 times per trip (3 hours running 300 kmh)
Since the "bending" of sim an sd card = SOLVED !!

tocophonic

Feb 24, 2011
Vienna
Thanks, that seemed to help! Even if i don't get the logic behind that.. but i don't have to, i just want a working phone :)

Thanks again mate!

bertrand13

Jul 9, 2008
Marseille
There seems to be a lot of people complaining about desire freeze

I thins this should be tried by those since it fixes freeze for me and for you too !!!

Happy this helps you

Braintwist

Feb 6, 2011
Hamburg
I am using an other rom, but had the same issues. Problems gone with new kernel.
Droidzones kernel did it 4 me, but i am on a sense 3.5 rom.
Try with uv and other governors too. But i think its a kerne related problem.

Sent from my rooted Transformer TF101

qktb

Dec 10, 2012
Kraków
3G to 2G freeze - solved

Hi,

I had the same issue: on 3G to 2G network change the phone froze. When moved out of 3G coverage, sometimes during/after the call (probably due to 3G-to-2G handover during the call), seconds after forcing the phone to 'GSM only'. I tried different ROMs, different radios, no success. Finally the guilty component was found: microSD card.

I changed from class 10 to class 4 and suddenly the issue disappeared.

The logic behind this is hard to grasp, but I tried two different ROMs now on a slower card and no freezing for couple of days now.